BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn confirms Rovers departure/Appreciation Thread

• Backroom

Correct it got too nasty. His career since confirms what most knew that he was never good enough for the Prem though. No doubt there were a few backhanders involved somewhere along the line. Strange thing is that with Ince gone Big Sam still saw enough in him to play him regularly.

The midfield under Allardyce didn't have to do too much. Their main task was to cover the grass and try to be first to knock downs, which Andrews was qualified enough to do.

After seeing the likes of Tugay, Bentley, MGP (before his sole purpose became set pieces), Dunn and Duff in our midfield during the 00's, Andrews was a pretty sharp decline in quality, which likely added to the disgruntlement. He was in a lot of ways the embodiment of the Trust's neglect of the club after Hughes left - albeit unwittingly, and the constant booing was still hugely out of order and counterproductive.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The midfield under Allardyce didn't have to do too much. Their main task was to cover the grass and try to be first to knock downs, which Andrews was qualified enough to do.

After seeing the likes of Tugay, Bentley, MGP (before his sole purpose became set pieces), Dunn and Duff in our midfield during the 00's, Andrews was a pretty sharp decline in quality, which likely added to the disgruntlement. He was in a lot of ways the embodiment of the Trust's neglect of the club after Hughes left - albeit unwittingly, and the constant booing was still hugely out of order and counterproductive.

Have you forgotten Matty Holmes? The perfect forerunner of Keith Andrews and signed when we were full on Champs and with Jacks sig on the cheque. Rem they put rubbers on the end of pencils... cos everyone makes mistakes.

Embasssing and cringe-worthy the booing of Andrews. And Jason Wilcox. And Jimmy Quinn. And Mark Atkins. And Windy Miller. And Norman Bell. And Jim Branagan. And Jason Roberts. And MGP. Anymore? Interesting that a lot of those names were all very hard-working players.

• Backroom

Have you forgotten Matty Holmes? The perfect forerunner of Keith Andrews and signed when we were full on Champs and with Jacks sig on the cheque. Rem they put rubbers on the end of pencils... cos everyone makes mistakes.

We made a lot of poor signings after we won the league. So many that 4 years later we were down!

Embasssing and cringe-worthy the booing of Andrews. And Jason Wilcox. And Jimmy Quinn. And Mark Atkins. And Windy Miller. And Norman Bell. And Jim Branagan. And Jason Roberts. And MGP. Anymore? Interesting that a lot of those names were all very hard-working players.[/quote

John Lowey, David Hamilton, Colin Randall.

Emerton too?

Super Atko still sticks in the gut though, he was far from a brilliant footballer, but he was brilliant for us throughout his time at the club.

Anyhow Dunny has obviously been fit and not been played this season, given the past 4 years I fail to see why anyone would be surprised by this.

I don't really hold Dunn not getting game time this season against the manager. He hasn't got the workrate or pace to play in a four in midfield (you could argue this was true when he was 28, let alone 35), and with Rhodes and Gestede around we were never going to play 451 to accommodate him.

• Backroom

I don't really hold Dunn not getting game time this season against the manager. He hasn't got the workrate or pace to play in a four in midfield (you could argue this was true when he was 28, let alone 35), and with Rhodes and Gestede around we were never going to play 451 to accommodate him.

Yeah, so why did we give him a contract extension last year?

Yeah, so why did we give him a contract extension last year?

I can only assume (and I know it's dangerous) that Dunny's contract offer for this year was very lucrative but involved a pay as you play clause or similar. A combination of declining admission monies, some distance off a likely shot at promotion, FFP embargo and probably orders from bean counters from afar must have scuttled his appearances. In hindsight I guess we'd have been better off letting DD go last season and keeping Alan Judge.

• Backroom

I can only assume (and I know it's dangerous) that Dunny's contract offer for this year was very lucrative but involved a pay as you play clause or similar. A combination of declining admission monies, some distance off a likely shot at promotion, FFP embargo and probably orders from bean counters from afar must have scuttled his appearances. In hindsight I guess we'd have been better off letting DD go last season and keeping Alan Judge.

Who knows. It was a strange decision at the time and I can remember quite a few people questioning the logic of it. It seems even more baffling now.

Since Burnley are almost certainly coming down, can we not sign him on a 2 game contract just to play in those matches?

He's a forward lying attacking midfielder and GB will never accommodate one of them Rhodes/Rudy or not. He's had ample opportunity but used other options. If however Bowyer had signed Dunn you can rest assured he would have started whenever fit...........probably at chuffin right back :blink:

John Lowey was a donkey !

Scored 2 crackers at Grimsby on a cold Tuesday night about 85 though...

Brown might do it one day ...

I'm almost tempted to say arse, town hall steps.......................but not quite.:)

I do. He has more class than the rest of the team put together. Who cares if he could only do an hour. It was unforgivable of the manager for blocking him out.

He's a forward lying attacking midfielder and GB will never accommodate one of them Rhodes/Rudy or not. He's had ample opportunity but used other options. If however Bowyer had signed Dunn you can rest assured he would have started whenever fit...........probably at chuffin right back :blink:

Absolutely!

It would take a huge wage to get Dunny to play for that lot.

Not sure it would. In fact if no ones signed him he'd prob play for nothing just to spite Bowyer or someone for not giving him another contract.

I honestly don't think there's enough money in the world to convince him to play for those lot. Can you imagine him playing in the Derby games wearing claret and blue? No, me neither.

We aren't professionals footballers and we don't have professional footballers morals and mind sets.

His 'testimonial' needs to be a match between Rovers legends and Burnley leg ends. That would draw the crowds.

Police wouldn't allow it.

I hope they don't grant him a testimonial in the current climate.

Archived