BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn confirms Rovers departure/Appreciation Thread

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's another of the great Ewood mysteries of recent years, was Dunny really injured or did Bowyer just not play him? If Dunny thinks he can play on, my feeling it is the latter that is true.

• Moderation Lead

Given that he was head and shoulders above anyone in our midfield it doesn't make any sense why he didn't get more game time, though I didn't obviously expect him to play all 46 league games owing to his injury record, I still feel he could have made more of a difference than he has done this season.

Could be the finance side but it does sound a bit like it was the manager just not fancying him. Wouldn't be a surprise as he's terrified of flair anywhere in his team except on the left flank. Annoying stuff either way as at least Dunnys cameo's used to light the crowd up a bit and show some intent.

• Backroom

He says he could have just sat and collected a salary? In fairness he has done that a lot of his career

Is he hinting he was offered a new deal? Ludicrous if so

Could be the finance side but it does sound a bit like it was the manager just not fancying him. Wouldn't be a surprise as he's terrified of flair anywhere in his team except on the left flank. Annoying stuff either way as at least Dunnys cameo's used to light the crowd up a bit and show some intent.

I've said a few times but IMO our better performances over the past 24 months have come when we've gone with both Dunn and King in the side. Flair and pace.

I've said a few times but IMO our better performances over the past 24 months have come when we've gone with both Dunn and King in the side. Flair and pace.

You'd wonder why when both were fit and available they rarely got selected then when we have such a bold manager and all that :huh:

• Backroom

It may tie in with what I got told before the Millwall match about Bowyer refusing to pick some senior players who were fit. Perhaps Dunn was one?

I'll be honest, if it's an approach to get the higher earners out, under FFP it may be good for us in the long run.

Shame the likes of Dunn get this treatment though.

It may tie in with what I got told before the Millwall match about Bowyer refusing to pick some senior players who were fit. Perhaps Dunn was one?

I'll be honest, if it's an approach to get the higher earners out, under FFP it may be good for us in the long run.

Shame the likes of Dunn get this treatment though.

Well, you could argue that it was hardly fair that we've propped him up for the past 4 years, only to wheel him out for a derby or two.

Plus the fact that he was Steve Kean's mouth piece for the best part of two years and in fact all this Dunny appreciation is a little bit tiresome.

- http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/114873.html

- http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/blackburn-rovers-david-dunn-attacks-3314720

- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23465088

A very talented player who was a great weapon in a Derby.... As for being a legend of the club, I think some people have very short memories. We all love a misty eyed send off though I suppose, and that's exactly what he'll get on Saturday.

It's you that has the short memory Jimmy, is that all you can say after over 350 appearances for the club?!

I've just read the quotes and to be honest I don't find any of those stories remotely offensive, but even if I did what about the other 10yrs service he's given then club.....

Well, you could argue that it was hardly fair that we've propped him up for the past 4 years, only to wheel him out for a derby or two.

Plus the fact that he was Steve Kean's mouth piece for the best part of two years and in fact all this Dunny appreciation is a little bit tiresome.

- http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/114873.html

- http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/blackburn-rovers-david-dunn-attacks-3314720

- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23465088

A very talented player who was a great weapon in a Derby.... As for being a legend of the club, I think some people have very short memories. We all love a misty eyed send off though I suppose, and that's exactly what he'll get on Saturday.

Dunny was right about the booing of Keith Andrews, it was embarrassing. KA was shyte but he didn't shirk or hide. Dunn's comments on Kean were wrong but that doesn't disguise the fact he was here and giving his all for Rovers 12 years before anyone had heard of Kean. I think we're all entitled to get a bit misty-eyed about a local boy made good who went on to play over 300 appearances for the club. You'll have a quivering bottom lip like the rest of us by 2pm Saturday :)

It's you that has the short memory Jimmy, is that all you can say after over 350 appearances for the club?!

I've just read the quotes and to be honest I don't find any of those stories remotely offensive, but even if I did what about the other 10yrs service he's given then club.....

He's been a marvellous player Gav - a real talent. But he's been exceptionally well paid for his services in relation to time actually given on the pitch. He's hardly been the 'lead them into battle' type has he in the last 5 years or so - he's always managed to make the derbies but then seemed to disappear for months at a time.

The Kean thing was very apparently an attempt to appease the fans and was a favour to a struggling 'Mate' - In a time when the fanbase were at their angriest and it was as plain as the nose on your face that we were only heading one way under an unashamedly corrupt regime, to see our 'local hero' come out and tell the fans to get real was remarkable and a real kick in the gut towards the peaceful protests that were a genuine attempt to save the club.

Anyway, perhaps now we can all be the realists that he was craving back then. In the Championship, saddled with debt thanks to the destruction of our club, and unlikely to see Premier League football for an extremely long time.

Dunny was right about the booing of Keith Andrews, it was embarrassing. KA was shyte but he didn't shirk or hide. Dunn's comments on Kean were wrong but that doesn't disguise the fact he was here and giving his all for Rovers 12 years before anyone had heard of Kean. I think we're all entitled to get a bit misty-eyed about a local boy made good who went on to play over 300 appearances for the club. You'll have a quivering bottom lip like the rest of us by 2pm Saturday :)

Think I was more upset when Pedersen said his goodbye's ;)

I agree with you on the Andrews front - He was @#/? but I don't believe he ever gave less than 100% for the club.

It's just like people on this messageboard to drag back up a few arguable misdemeanors to try and dampen the appreciation of a player who has been a fantastic servant for the club. Always focusing on the negatives when we should be celebrating and remembering the memories of what a wonderfully entertaining player we have all been blessed to have at our club for so long. I'm not ashamed to say I will be a little misty-eyed seeing Dunny play for Rovers for the last time this weekend.

It's just like people on this messageboard to drag back up a few arguable misdemeanors to try and dampen the appreciation of a player who has been a fantastic servant for the club. Always focusing on the negatives when we should be celebrating and remembering the memories of what a wonderfully entertaining player we have all been blessed to have at our club for so long. I'm not ashamed to say I will be a little misty-eyed seeing Dunny play for Rovers for the last time this weekend.

Misty eyed? Me too but more for the truly great player that he might have been.

Dunny's been a fantastic player without a doubt, a player who makes the game look easy, but he's not been a fantastic servant. Being extremely well rewarded for effectively playing 1 game and missing the next for his entire career (and that's not taking into account that so many of his appearances only lasted 60 mins) does not make anyone a fantastic servant. It does in my book represent and almighty waste.

• Moderation Lead

I have to disagree on Andrews, I can remember him shirking many a challenge!!

I have to disagree on Andrews, I can remember him shirking many a challenge!!

The booing of Andrews was a disgrace, embarrassing.

If he's rubbish its up to the manager to replace him not the fans to boo, disgusting.

• Backroom

Andrews always had the stigma of Ince attached to him, which I think played a part in how the fans reacted to him. He wouldn't have been at the club if not for that dunce of a manager.

Didn't deserve the stick he got, as he gave it his all despite not being anywhere near good enough.

Andrews always had the stigma of Ince attached to him, which I think played a part in how the fans reacted to him. He wouldn't have been at the club if not for that dunce of a manager.

Didn't deserve the stick he got, as he gave it his all despite not being anywhere near good enough.

Correct it got too nasty. His career since confirms what most knew that he was never good enough for the Prem though. No doubt there were a few backhanders involved somewhere along the line. Strange thing is that with Ince gone Big Sam still saw enough in him to play him regularly.

• Backroom

The Andrews stuff was embarassing.

One game he was actually playing ok he went to take a free kick in our own half and got booed for approaching the ball, terrible stuff

Archived