BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Suggested Message Board Reorganisation

Logged on this morning. Thousands of posts of embarrassing childish squabbling sadly.

Two suggestions

1) Can we please bring back the news only without comment transfer section?

2) And also some kind of quarantined area where anyone who constantly bickers can only post to? Still get to have their say but doesn't ruin everyone's day by having to trawl through the messages on every single bloody thread.

I'd post this in Ask Admin but I fear it it goes in there no one will read it. Move it if needs be.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ironic.

For a second I thought this thread was about Shaw et al.

But I see that it's just a post moaning about the moaning. Which is just as bad.

The cycle at the moment is

1) Moan

2) Moan in response

3) Moan about all the moaning

It seems that people have forgotten that trolls still exist and if you keep giving them attention, support even, they will carry on.

After the board lost 18 months of data, my ignore lost was reset and I thought, right - clean slate. It took about a week before the same 3 posters went back on ignore. At the moment we have a VERY relaxed messageboard in terms of modding which means some people will push the envelope. It also means that the vacuum is creating a few frustrated pseudo-mods (not a dig, in the past they would have been recruited). What it needs is for people to stop getting involved when the trolling starts. Just stick the offenders on ignore for a week. It's like people want some kind of utopia where their view of the world (or world peace as someone put it) is achievable. It's not.

If you are an adult, behave as such. The problem is - on an anonymous board - it's very easy to have a 45 year old getting nightly annoyed with a 16 year old - when in real life they would not be in the same circles. It's about time there was some kind of segregation of age groups - that's about as close as I can see that we will start to get more understanding. Very often the "caught a live one" will be the young lad baiting the 70 year old.

Anyway, back to it, at least there is now a separate thread to moan about the moaning.

Ironic.

For a second I thought this thread was about Shaw et al.

But I see that it's just a post moaning about the moaning. Which is just as bad.

The cycle at the moment is

1) Moan

2) Moan in response

3) Moan about all the moaning

Anyway, back to it, at least there is now a separate thread to moan about the moaning.

Lol, I thought the same Stuart, "a thread about Boardroom reorganisation?" I thought, "That sounds interesting" Hmmmph.

If two people are bickering the easiest thing to do is just ignore it surely. Anything more serious than that in terms of abuse and /or insults and the Board is at it's best when it' self policing and unacceptable behaviour is simply not tolerated imo.

There has been a lot of it recently. Must be the time of month. Or season, ( i.e. the close season.)

So to surmise Stuart you don't think we have a problem and we will continue as is?

Also - apologies, topic title is confusing. I tried to rename but cant find the option.

Can someone rename to "Suggested Message Board Reorganisation"?

Simple - use the ignore facility to filter the noise. Some people come in here for the news so I can see why they'd be annoyed. But there are plenty of sites for Rovers news. Personally a bit part of the appeal of this site is the community and most of the people I have on ignore are those who don't seem to like people who I really heron with - even if I don't always agree with them.

Parting thought: how many comments are there on Twitter complaining moaning about moaning.

Simple - use the ignore facility to filter the noise. Some people come in here for the news so I can see why they'd be annoyed. But there are plenty of sites for Rovers news. Personally a bit part of the appeal of this site is the community and most of the people I have on ignore are those who don't seem to like people who I really heron with - even if I don't always agree with them.

Parting thought: how many comments are there on Twitter complaining moaning about moaning.

The reason I mainly come on hear is to have a decent reasoned debate as I always got over the last fifteen years until two years ago or so, not to need to ignore half the users just to get by. I think a lot of people dont post because the timbre of the board is aggressive and getting more so as the months go by. We've lost a lot of members.

I don't use twitter so can't comment on that.

Since the inception of BRFC's the club has been a well run club that has done pretty well for itself. There was nothing worrying to get narked about. Plenty of options on the playing front, plenty of options in the transfer market.

It is hardly surprising that the frustrations of the fanbase now mirrors the shambolic, rudderless, debt riddled, ambition bereft mess that is modern day Ewood. Hence the messageboard reflects the paucity of options to discuss team dynamics and transfers.

The club has never known such a period of uncertainty

I've always been a firm believer in fights to the death. Now obviously that isn't an option on the internet, however, I propose the following:

Anyone consistently arguing with each other over numerous threads are sent into a 'fight' thread. They're the only people that can post in it, but we can all read, obviously. They're left in that thread to argue until one of two outcomes happens:

1) They finally agree to shut up and get on

2) One of the posters deactivates their account in stress.

I can't see where this can go wrong.

Job-Why would you want to read it if its the very thing your complaining about.(your just confirming my suspicions)

I quite enjoy a BRFCS meltdown. Vinjay in the Blackburn End, Bangkok Rover saying he's in the airport on the way to see Venkys and using a google image, Nixon losing it because we don't believe Kean 'could be a gem' - meltdowns are some of the most legendary posts on this forum, personally. But I can see why you lot don't enjoy it.

Theres a board ambience bleat topic in ask admin

What about a quarantine area for those who want to ignore whats happening and debate Bowyers favourite choice of magnificent cereal, the optimum length of the ewood park grass, how being in the red is just wearing the new away kit, and what would Paul Agnew order on a free venky paid junket to Mr Abduls.

Glenn and Ste will be doing a reorganisation over the next few weeks, they are just in the process of doing that at the moment.

Over the last few months they decided to have a “mod light” approach and up until the end of the season it was working fairly well, but once the season ended some of the threads have descended into pity point scoring and squabbles so that needs some form of moderating.

I quite enjoy a BRFCS meltdown. Vinjay in the Blackburn End, Bangkok Rover saying he's in the airport on the way to see Venkys and using a google image, Nixon losing it because we don't believe Kean 'could be a gem' - meltdowns are some of the most legendary posts on this forum, personally. But I can see why you lot don't enjoy it.

IIRC, he was going to meet the Qataris to convince them to takeover the club from Venky's.

I've always been a firm believer in fights to the death. Now obviously that isn't an option on the internet, however, I propose the following:

Anyone consistently arguing with each other over numerous threads are sent into a 'fight' thread. They're the only people that can post in it, but we can all read, obviously. They're left in that thread to argue until one of two outcomes happens:

1) They finally agree to shut up and get on

2) One of the posters deactivates their account in stress.

I can't see where this can go wrong.

There would be so many 'Fight' threads it would probably overload the Server.

Stick a poll on each 'Fight' thread, run it for a few days and declare a winner. Both 'Fighters' then agree via the MB to stop their bitching in public forums. The loser of the poll buys the beer. Thread closed. Server saved.

IIRC, he was going to meet the Qataris to convince them to takeover the club from Venky's.

BR...... BRFC's equivalent of Man Utd's Michael Knighton*. Right idea conceived before anybody else thought of it but lacked the gravitas and wherewithal to see it through.

For younger members *On the brink of buying Man Utd for 10m from Martin Edwards in the late 80's! All but pulled it off too. He'd have made an absolute fortune if he'd managed to get that over the line.

Logged on this morning. Thousands of posts of embarrassing childish squabbling sadly.

Two suggestions

1) Can we please bring back the news only without comment transfer section?

2) And also some kind of quarantined area where anyone who constantly bickers can only post to? Still get to have their say but doesn't ruin everyone's day by having to trawl through the messages on every single bloody thread.

I'd post this in Ask Admin but I fear it it goes in there no one will read it. Move it if needs be.

Maybe posting should be anonymous. I say this because people are increasingly reacting to the poster and not to the content. Post well thought out contributions on here and whilst often they are responded to in similar fashion all too frequently they are met with ignorant attempted put downs and infantile quips simply because of the source.

How about just ban all the dicks!

This does work, its been proven in the past.

I hate the thought of banning people, but its a quick fire way of tidying up the site.

You don't need to ban them indefinitely, just 30 days to start with and have some guidlines.

Archived