BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

Judge his performances once the transfer window has closed if he is still here. Rhodes put in an eyebrow raising shift in against Wolves, a level of effort that we are not used to seeing from him. BUT..... A glance across from my seat to the Directors box revealed an unusual amount of scouts scribbling notes into their notepads.

It was more like the Rhodes of old. I think a lot of Rhodes's critics are quick to forget that he seemed a much more complete player in some regards before last season.

He seemed disgruntled last term and it certainly resulted in him not playing to his best. Possibly felt let down by Bowyer in some way, perhaps due to the mythical promotion push promise that clearly never happened. Was good to see him so fired up though. Perhaps he's angling for a move, perhaps he's had an epiphany of sorts. Who knows?

One thing's for certain, if we had someone at the helm who could sort out the rest of this team, sort out the tactics and style of play, they could have Rhodes banging in goals and supplying them too. Makes you wonder what could have been if we had someone else instead of Bowyer charged with bringing out the best in Rhodes, Gestede et al.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably also partly down to him being our number 3 striker at times last season when his commitment and contribution to this club over 3 years should mean he is number one.

The entire team should be geared up to suit Rhodes, yet last season he seemed to be treated as though he was a redundant bit part player.

I imagine that has more to do with his disgruntlement rather than us not getting promoted.

His performance against Wolves was similar to the one against Bournemouth 12 months ago - Rhodes responds to speculation and rumour by getting his head down and working his socks off.

I've not said anything on here yet, but I did hear the other night that Rhodes and Marshall are on their way.

The chap I spoke to heard it from someone who works at Brockhall. I won't say exactly what I heard just yet as it's no use riling people up over nothing (feel free to PM).

Personally, I'm unconvinced. Especially since we played Marshall in the League Cup. But you never know.

Heard the same and posted on here but same source then spoke to Lowe who said they were both happy... Not sure how much Lowey knows considering he never looks like he knows what a football is.

Difficult to agree with your first sentence there JH Rover. The guys that kept him out are both playing in the Premier League this season.

I was talking about Brown rather than King. If I was Jordan Rhodes and he was on the pitch and I wasn't I think I'd be a bit upset.

If this is true I am seriously beginning to think Bowyer has lost the plot. Why give O'Sullivan another 12 months recently? Has he regressed in that time and Bowyer now wants to get rid, is he a bad egg? I really don't know but Bowyer should certainly come out and explain this (if true).

He never had the plot in the 1st place just does has he's told

Judge his performances once the transfer window has closed if he is still here. Rhodes put in an eyebrow raising shift in against Wolves, a level of effort that we are not used to seeing from him. BUT..... A glance across from my seat to the Directors box revealed an unusual amount of scouts scribbling notes into their notepads.

Eyebrow raising for 20-25 minutes - then dropped off considerably (which to be fair - most of the team did as well)

Good point. Probably down to him not playing for Hull in the Prem when he wanted to..

Perhaps. If you were at Rovers playing under a duffer of a manager in a team going nowhere and got offered the chance to have a shot at the Prem, wouldn't you be a touch peeved that you weren't allowed to talk to them?

Eyebrow raising for 20-25 minutes - then dropped off considerably (which to be fair - most of the team did as well)

I don't think he dropped off necessarily but the team certainly did. After those 20 mins, I don't remember us doing anything of note in an attacking sense. We resorted to a lot of hoofing which clearly doesn't suit JR. He actually won quite a few flick-ons which no one followed. He showed what he can do when the ball is played to his feet. He ran the channels, held the ball up, brought other midfielders into the game. Then the team backed off ten-yards, sat back in our own half, stopped playing meaningful football and JR was left isolated. Bowyer tactics for ya.

I would guess O'Sullivan saw Barrow come in and had a showdown with the manager - he knows he's at least fourth on the winger / attacking mid list now behind Marshall, Conway, Barrow. Arguably Koita could take a berth too if he is not played as an out and out striker, plus Taylor is to come back. Against that lot he will struggle to get a game all season unless we have major injuries.

You can understand it. Brentford want him, will give him games, make him a key player and will probably pay the same as what Rovers offer. If I was him and I had faith in my ability I would think about going.

Difficult to agree with your first sentence there JH Rover. The guys that kept him out are both playing in the Premier League this season.

King wasn't keeping anybody out. And the only reason those two are in the Prem and Rhodes isn't, is because Rhodes costs a lot more money than either (or both) and you know it.

It is amazing - every time we get a trialist in this MB goes into melt down - amazing considering the high turn over of trialists we have had this summer that people still get wound up. Lets wait and see whether McAnuff is offered a contract.

The fact he is even under consideration is cause for concern. The transfer strategy is a dogs dinner and completely lacking vision.

If he does sign that's another roadblock to our younger, homegrown players.

I know Marshall have given notice on his rented house in Hurst Green and is buying a house on Chorely Old Rd in Bolton near Bolton School so cant really see him leaving if he is buying locally also his Mrs is due very soon

• Backroom

King wasn't keeping anybody out. And the only reason those two are in the Prem and Rhodes isn't, is because Rhodes costs a lot more money than either (or both) and you know it.

I think Brown kept Rhodes out more often than King last season. Make of that what you will.

I know Marshall have given notice on his rented house in Hurst Green and is buying a house on Chorely Old Rd in Bolton near Bolton School so cant really see him leaving if he is buying locally also his Mrs is due very soon

Happen he's signing for Horwich Wanderers then!

I believe that Marshall is genuinely happy and settled at Rovers, and that was the reason for him making the comments he did in the paper a few weeks ago. And I don't think he would push for a move to another club, particularly not one like Brighton.

He has a lot of family in the Manchester area and that seems to be a big thing for him and was one of the reasons he wanted to leave Leicester.

However, it also depends what forces are at work at the club. If he has been identified as a player to make money on, by whoever decided it was worth offloading Cairney to Fulham, then his days may be numbered. If Marshall gets word that he is being touted around by someone at the club who wants to make a million or two profit on him then he's in an impossible situation.

I'm not saying that has happened, and his appearance in all games so far and being given the number 10 shirt suggests the manager at least is planning on him being a big player, but we all know there are other factors to consider at the club.

If he is going to be such a big player for us and we want to keep him here then perhaps a contract extension should be in the pipeline? Its nonsense that we can't offer improved terms under FUP. A £5k a week wage rise when we've knocked Robbo, Best and King off the wage bill is completely possible. Otherwise if we don't we're going to reach a stage where we risk losing him on a free as we did with King.

Buying a house when you are on 20k a week means much less than when you are on 20k a year.

I hope Marshall is here long term, I really rate him. He is an excellent winger and should simply be played there rather than be put in a role that our team can't cater for.

Buying a house when you are on 20k a week means much less than when you are on 20k a year.

I hope Marshall is here long term, I really rate him. He is an excellent winger and should simply be played there rather than be put in a role that our team can't cater for.

Quite controversial, but if we weren't under the embargo I would say sell him. He turns up for 1 in 3 matches and flatters to deceive for the majority of the time. That being said, with us being under the embargo we cannot afford to lose him. I wouldn't trust Shelfy's words about us coming out of it if we raise another £4 million either. Guy doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

Probably also partly down to him being our number 3 striker at times last season when his commitment and contribution to this club over 3 years should mean he is number one.

The entire team should be geared up to suit Rhodes, yet last season he seemed to be treated as though he was a redundant bit part player.

I imagine that has more to do with his disgruntlement rather than us not getting promoted.

His performance against Wolves was similar to the one against Bournemouth 12 months ago - Rhodes responds to speculation and rumour by getting his head down and working his socks off.

That's ok though in their eyes because that allowed Rudy to develop and get their 3000% mark up in quick style. Luckily for them and us Rhodes still plunders his goals and holds his value despite what goes on around him.

Quite controversial, but if we weren't under the embargo I would say sell him. He turns up for 1 in 3 matches and flatters to deceive for the majority of the time. That being said, with us being under the embargo we cannot afford to lose him. I wouldn't trust Shelfy's words about us coming out of it if we raise another £4 million either. Guy doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

For me, it again reverts back to the manager and his poor tactics and tinkering. Marshall was head and shoulders our best player and our main creative force until he shoved him at right back.

Agree. For me, he seems low on confidence - perhaps not in his own ability but by that of those around him / where the club are heading. He looked thoroughly @#/? off on Tuesday night - second half there were a number of occasions when he had the opportunity to get a cross in and there were 1/2 Rovers players against 5/6 Shrewsbury.

Get his head straight, play to his strengths and he's got the ability to get 15+ goals in that number 10 role.

If he is going to be such a big player for us and we want to keep him here then perhaps a contract extension should be in the pipeline? Its nonsense that we can't offer improved terms under FUP.

I thought we could?? Not seen anything that suggested we couldn't. Where did you get that?

Realistically even out of FFP we would struggle to find players more talented than Marshall. We need to use him and motivate him better if we want to get promoted.

I think, like Rhodes, he will benefit a lot from Koita and Barrow. They will stretch teams a lot more than the existing players in the squad. It should give him the space to profit.

Archived