BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League 2015/16 Thread

DE.

If the referee and/or player signals for the medical staff to come onto the pitch, they're obliged to do so. Mourinho's anger should be aimed at one of Hazard or the referee.

Perhaps I'm cynical but it's interesting to me that he decided to lash out at those who had the least to do with the match itself.

Fact is this incident had very little impact on the result. Judging from Mourinho's whining you'd think that it had caused an almighty disaster.

Indeed but Swansea are a fine footballing team and the last thing that anyone wants to do is to go down to 10 men against them. Shelvey is one of the finest passers in the Premier League, great shot on him too. I've no idea why he is not an England regular in centre mid....... unless it's the usual reason that he isn't playing for a 'BIG' club.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Indeed but Swansea are a fine footballing team and the last thing that anyone wants to do is to go down to 10 men against them. Shelvey is one of the finest passers in the Premier League, great shot on him too. I've no idea why he is not an England regular in centre mid....... unless it's the usual reason that he isn't playing for a 'BIG' club.

I always felt Shelvey did well when he was at Liverpool, he just got sent off against Man United then never seemed to recover from it. I agree though, the guy oozes class.

• Backroom

They were technically down to 9 at that point, as Courtois had already been sent off when Hazard came off for medical treatment. Mourinho's anger is understandable, he's just aimed it at the wrong people and it could come back to bite him. Apparently the ref called the medical team on twice and Hazard also confirmed he wanted them on. What were they supposed to do, stand on the touchline and say no? It doesn't work that way.

As far as Shelvey is concerned, a decent player no doubt but a very suspect temperment which might be why he hasn't been called up to the England squad. A stronger manager may have called him up already but I can't imagine Woy having the courage to bring him in.

Rudy on the bench for Villa tonight. Surprising really with Daley Blind playing centre half for the rags.

Sky Sports commentator said Sherwood didnt want to push him too quickly after being injured for much of pre season.

I expect Gestede to come on for last 25 mins

Sky Sports commentator said Sherwood didnt want to push him too quickly after being injured for much of pre season.

I expect Gestede to come on for last 25 mins

I have never fully understood the rationale behind bringing players with questionable fitness on for the last period of the game. Given the circumstances surely Sherwood would have been better getting an hour out of Rudy and he could batter the United centre backs. He is also great at defending set plays.

I have never fully understood the rationale behind bringing players with questionable fitness on for the last period of the game. Given the circumstances surely Sherwood would have been better getting an hour out of Rudy and he could batter the United centre backs. He is also great at defending set plays.

Much better to save him for if there is a need in the last 20 to go more direct. Pretty sure that's what they bought him for because he isn't Prem quality on the deck but he's top 4 in the air.

Much better to save him for if there is a need in the last 20 to go more direct. Pretty sure that's what they bought him for because he isn't Prem quality on the deck but he's top 4 in the air.

Why not direct from the off if that is playing to your strengths, giving the centre backs a hard time and potentially going in front. It almost appears that Sherwood is trying to out football United.

Why not direct from the off if that is a) playing to your strengths, B) giving the centre backs a hard time and c) potentially going in front.

Because he's a monster in the air and coming on fresh would be an even bigger monster. If for example MU are winning and their defenders comfortably handling the opposition forwards then someone like Gestede coming on, disrupting the defence and villa changing their approach to suit represents a sea change and disorientates the defenders. Don't you rem Kindon coming on on at 'turf Boxing Day? Another 5 mins and I'd wager we'd not have won that match.

Odd thing that, in the last year of playing football competitively I spent most of the season on the subs bench coming on up front after 60 mins or so. I found it much easier to score and I've still got the trophy for leading goalscorer that season.

Because he's a monster in the air and coming on fresh would be an even bigger monster. If for example MU are winning and their defenders comfortably handling the opposition forwards then someone like Gestede coming on, disrupting the defence and villa changing their approach to suit represents a sea change and disorientates the defenders. Don't you rem Kindon coming on on at 'turf Boxing Day? Another 5 mins and I'd wager we'd not have won that match.

Odd thing that, in the last year of playing football competitively I spent most of the season on the subs bench coming on up front after 60 mins or so. I found it much easier to score and I've still got the trophy for leading goalscorer that season.

I would have liked to see him up against Blind and Villa going long from the start. I remember Kindon getting carried off on Boxing Day after Keeley mullered him.

As I type Rudy has just come on.

Is the inscription on your trophy in Latin!

Been quite impressed with villa. Not been outstanding but I think they have the makings of a decent little side here. Quick and very mobile.

That bloody schweinsteger (sp) really is top drawer. And luke Shaw looks more like the prodigious talent he was 18 months ago. Be nice to see how romero is under sustained pressure.

Rudy looks a knob in claret and blue by the way.

• Backroom

I remember those days, the day we signed Santa cruz, I was on holiday in Ireland, exciting times, oh to have days like those again

My favourite was when we signed McCarthy and Roberts in the same summer. Remember Roberts had been Wigan's spearhead at the time and Benni was magical to watch.

*sigh*

Incidentally there is some sort of Fantasy football prog on Sky and I was told in the local last night that Big Sam had put together his all star team and that I'd never guess which BRFC defender was in it. I got it bang on first time with Ryan Nelsen. My mate was well miffed.

Archived