BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer Most Likely Not Sacked

If he's doesn't believe he can do the job and he's hanging around for personal gratification above the benefit of the club its integrity issues. It's one or the other

That's just the point, neither you or I know that. I choose to believe that Bowyer has integrity in the absence of real evidence to the contrary. Unless you or anyone else has the goods on Bowyer the innuendo, baseless attacks on his integrity and snide slurs should stop. There are genuine reasons to criticise the manager, why not stick to those?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For any supporter defending Bowyer, for stating that the team is worth more now, than six months ago, ask yourself this question. Is there a single Blackpool fan pleased that they have no debt and therefore not too concerned that they currently sit in the relegation places in League one?

One of the first thing Kean said when we were relegated was, sometimes, you have to take a step back to move forward. That's comment was despite assuring everyone, earlier that season, that there was no chance, we would be relegated. I do now believe, we have reached the point of no return. I also firmly believe that Bowyer should be set a target and if he fails to achieve it, then he is removed. A points target and place in the league 6 games from now, is far more impotent that a few players being worth more, at that point then they currently are. I can't actually believe that a manager anywhere, can insults the fans by saying this. I don't care one hoot about what a player is currently worth, but, boy do I want 3 points today!

You don't listen to his interviews, you don't read them and you doubt he said 'massive profits'. Blinkered view to suit.

I doubt he said we've made "massive profits", I still haven't seen anyone quote this in this sense

Somebody asked me how I see Mourinho and not GBs- it's only from MOTD and the snippet I saw was Jose acting like a massive kid.

The point is, GB could say anything if he's winning games with us, just like it doesn't matter what he's saying if we are losing games.

This idea that people can only either "attack" or "defend" someone or something needs to stop. Why can't people merely discuss? It's always the same, if you don't want to join in with the foot stamping and hair pulling then you are a "apologist".

Kean lied through his teeth at every opportunity but do you think he would've been despised by Rovers fans if he'd kept us up and pushed us higher than big Sam?

Right, I'll come clean since people think that it's completely defendable for Bowyer to make such comments.

All of those quotes were made by Kean and not Bowyer. But it's very easy to see the similarities.

Kean making those comments demonstrated that he was out of his depth and covering up for failure and ineptitude on the pitch. Bowyer has made very similar comments recently but some won't accept the similarity.

It's a very slippery slope when a manager starts talking about off the field targets and about how comfortable and great things are between him and the owners when we are doing so badly.

Is it any better for Bowyer to say that the owners are content that we "keep improving" despite how poorly we are doing?

The only reason it is is because people want to defend "Bowyer the man" and overlook or even excuse "Bowyer the manager" because of it.

I doubt he said we've made "massive profits", I still haven't seen anyone quote this in this sense

Somebody asked me how I see Mourinho and not GBs- it's only from MOTD and the snippet I saw was Jose acting like a massive kid.

The point is, GB could say anything if he's winning games with us, just like it doesn't matter what he's saying if we are losing games.

This idea that people can only either "attack" or "defend" someone or something needs to stop. Why can't people merely discuss? It's always the same, if you don't want to join in with the foot stamping and hair pulling then you are a "apologist".

Kean lied through his teeth at every opportunity but do you think he would've been despised by Rovers fans if he'd kept us up and pushed us higher than big Sam?

Bowyer did say that the mark up on Gestede was something like 3.000%. He made that comment in the Telegraph. I don't really want to troll through and find it, to be honest, but I have definitely read that quote.

Whilst I agree some of the criticism of Bowyer does toe the line a little, I think his media comments are fair game. Steve Kean was open for criticism in this area before we knew the true extent of his slimy grip on the Venky's. I don't think it would be a bad thing if Bowyer mentioned player values/mark-ups once every six months or so. However, the man mentions the same points week in week out, often to detract from a poor performance. The man avoids any challenging questions in interviews to wax lyrical about the embargo and Dragon's Den etc. I don't buy into him being uncomfortable and awkward in front of the media either, on a few audios you'll hear him joking with reporters. I think he's a man out of his depth, who has a big ego and wants to remind everyone of what he's done for Rovers. 'Look at how I got the wage bill down' whilst conveniently ignoring poor results and a failure to deliver on what should have been achievable objectives over the last two seasons. The more I listen to Bowyer, the more I believe him to be an arrogant man who thinks Rovers fans owe him a debt of gratitude for his work in getting the wage bill down, something I don't buy into as he's failed in many key areas. Yes, I am grateful for aspects of his tenure, however I believe this is overshadowed by poor performances, tactics and results. I said it before and I'll say it again, expect Bowyer to turn on the fans, like he did last season after a few boos.

Right, I'll come clean since people think that it's completely defendable for Bowyer to make such comments.

All of those quotes were made by Kean and not Bowyer. But it's very easy to see the similarities.

Kean making those comments demonstrated that he was out of his depth and covering up for failure and ineptitude on the pitch. Bowyer has made very similar comments recently but some won't accept the similarity.

It's a very slippery slope when a manager starts talking about off the field targets and about how comfortable and great things are between him and the owners when we are doing so badly.

Is it any better for Bowyer to say that the owners are content that we "keep improving" despite how poorly we are doing?

The only reason it is is because people want to defend "Bowyer the man" and overlook or even excuse "Bowyer the manager" because of it.

The most recent remarks made by Bowyer could indeed have been made by Kean.

If it wasn't okay for Kean to come out with such drivel, it certainly isn't for Bowyer.

people want to defend "Bowyer the man" because of it.

Do they?

I certainly don't see it as defending anyone.

I see over reaction and gave my opinion. It's been a cycle over the summer for this website to read an article and have a "right good go" at moaning about it.

Surely my opinion that this is an over reaction and ultimately results define his legacy is perfectly fine for me to have? Or is any questioning of this cycle just an example of me sat at GB HQ with a pen writing all the naughty peoples names down who keep slandering my hero?

Is that genuinely what it's come to?

Regardless of the lies, Kean is despised mainly for taking the club from reasonable security in the top flight, to near bankruptcy floundering in the second division.

At this point, GBs legacy is no where near that bad. Maybe he will become the next unsackable and take us down another division and make us even more financially unstable, at which point he would deserve the same hatred which we all share for the nutter from Cumbernauld.

Whilst I agree some of the criticism of Bowyer does toe the line a little, I think his media comments are fair game. Steve Kean was open for criticism in this area before we knew the true extent of his slimy grip on the Venky's. I don't think it would be a bad thing if Bowyer mentioned player values/mark-ups once every six months or so. However, the man mentions the same points week in week out, often to detract from a poor performance. The man avoids any challenging questions in interviews to wax lyrical about the embargo and Dragon's Den etc. I don't buy into him being uncomfortable and awkward in front of the media either, on a few audios you'll hear him joking with reporters. I think he's a man out of his depth, who has a big ego and wants to remind everyone of what he's done for Rovers. 'Look at how I got the wage bill down' whilst conveniently ignoring poor results and a failure to deliver on what should have been achievable objectives over the last two seasons. The more I listen to Bowyer, the more I believe him to be an arrogant man who thinks Rovers fans owe him a debt of gratitude for his work in getting the wage bill down, something I don't buy into as he's failed in many key areas. Yes, I am grateful for aspects of his tenure, however I believe this is overshadowed by poor performances, tactics and results. I said it before and I'll say it again, expect Bowyer to turn on the fans, like he did last season after a few boos.

Very easy for anyone to bring the wage bill down by bringing in League One or reserve standard players and sliding down the table. A different story if a manager had managed to convince some ageing top flight players to take a pay cut and drop down to the Championship, and - crucially - motivating them - a la McKay or others. Look at someone like Nolan. He will end up somewhere where he can learn the ropes from an experienced manager. Wouldn't be surprised to see him wait until Big Sam rocks up at a club.

On the other hand, we were out of the embargo and sitting upper-mid table then Bowyer would be excused for being a little vitriolic. But we are on a downward curve having plateaued (aka stopped the rot) under Bowyer at first. If he stepped down to the Under-21s now, he could even look back and call it an extended Tony Parkes style caretaker role, and gain a lot of credit in the process.

If there is more to it that we don't know then maybe we need a closed door 'audience with the fans' at a non-club venue and all mobile phones left at the door.

I have found a comment made by bowyer and anyone who wants to Google Bowyer 3,00% will find it. The signing of Danny Guthrie is the Telegraph article it linke you to. Strangely, when you click on the article, that bit does seem to have been removed.

I am no conspiracy theorist, but that dos seem a touch strange. Pop the comments below into Google, before clicking on the link, to see what am saying.

www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/.../13576766.Gary_Bowyer__Blackburn

Bowyer isn't above professional or personal criticism with some not all of the stuff he comes out with.

For me if he had any integrity he'd walk citing the step up was too much for him and he's bumbled his way through last 2 full seasons of underachievement on a wing and a prayer. With a premier league wage bill in the championship. And only did well in the first few months of that first season down.

However, I suspect he's just like the majority of his peers a delusional money grabbing chancer in it for himself. Reluctant to hand over power of what will be his last crack as the manager of a professional football team.

Back to someone's under 21s or as a coach where he's always belonged.

I think you are a little harsh there. I have no doubts he will land on his feet should he leave us. There seems to be a lot of respect, from people inside the game, for what Bowyer has done here. He won't be out of work long and he certainly won't need to trap up at some footballing backwater a la his forked tongued predecessor

Regardless of the lies, Kean is despised mainly for taking the club from reasonable security in the top flight, to near bankruptcy floundering in the second division.

At this point, GBs legacy is no where near that bad. Maybe he will become the next unsackable and take us down another division and make us even more financially unstable, at which point he would deserve the same hatred which we all share for the nutter from Cumbernauld.

Be honest Joe, the only difference right now, is the perceived integrity of each.

In terms of actual ability and their ability to get the best out of players there isn't that much difference. Now that we are struggling and there is no chance of him being sacked, Bowyer is having to resort to more soundbites - which is exactly where Kean went after "Time to go, Steve".

I really really don't want Bowyer to become a hate figure but the more we struggle and the more we see the same players selected the more chance there is of his comments coming across as patronising and it will start to divide the fanbase again.

Good boards/owners try to ensure that the fanbase isn't divided and act when there is some momentum for change in the stands. Does anyone think that Venkys will be moved by chants of Bowyer Out?

Interestingly Bowyer also states that we have a 600% Mark up on Tom Cairney, in the same article and that Dragons Den will be looking at us soon.

I can see it not, Dragons "So what have he here Mr Bowyer". Gary replies "A new perspective on how to run a football club. You don't look to entertain and you don't look to win matches. What you do, is increase player value. It has been tried before, but this one was invented in India and is a different completely".

"Ok we are all in, looks like you have an idea, were the mark up is amazing. Where do we sign?"

I wonder if it would be possible for the Podcast team to get a Q & A with Bowyer to talk about footballing tactics and get him talking about why he chooses the way he does. It seems a lot of fans are having trouble understanding his choices. Would it be possible? Maybe not. Oh well.

This getting the wage bill down doesn't wash with me. Paying a massive pritce to get rid of bad eggs, is more like it. These players walked away with fortunes.

So true. They've done nothing more than pay contracts up after players have dug their heels in for what they were promised when signing. In some instances, maybe they settled for a little less in order to play football somewhere.

I wonder if it would be possible for the Podcast team to get a Q & A with Bowyer to talk about footballing tactics and get him talking about why he chooses the way he does. It seems a lot of fans are having trouble understanding his choices. Would it be possible? Maybe not. Oh well.

It would be nice if a paid up member of the press actually asked him these questions but no they'll never put nice guy Gary on the back foot.

Steele in for Raya after 5 games. I said it would happen. All about resale value. Makes the inclusion of Raya even more ridiculous.

Me too, if you dig out some old posts I said 5 or 10 games he'll swap em. Could see it coming a mile off and it'll change again after another 5 or 10, maybe even Clint. It's farcical, no doubt after reading this they'll suddenly decide Davids had a knock or something......

Steele in for Raya after 5 games. I said it would happen. All about resale value. Makes the inclusion of Raya even more ridiculous.

Or a heralded teenager burst on to the scene, earned his chance, was given it, has since had a wobble (apparently) and has been taken out of the firing line?

Of course, to some on here, this will be more evidence of Bowyer not giving kids a chance.

2 tough away games coming up, given we are already in the relegation zone, how many points do people think we should be getting as a minimum for GB to remain in charge?

By calling them "2 tough away games" it already implies that 0 points would not be unexpected. However, we are going to have to get an upset from somewhere.

I'd like to see 3 points out of the next 6 points available.

It's hard to see where the required 47 points are going to come from.

Or a heralded teenager burst on to the scene, earned his chance, was given it, has since had a wobble (apparently) and has been taken out of the firing line?

Of course, to some on here, this will be more evidence of Bowyer not giving kids a chance.

He didn't earn his chance. He made a few mistakes during pre-season, I said he wasn't ready but Bowyer would throw him in and revert back to Steele after 5 games. He did just that.

I think the kids should be given a chance. Tomlinson, Nyambe, Lenihan for example. Chuck the odd one of them in off the bench here and there. See how they do and give any good performers a run. Changing goalkeeper needlessly was always a recipe for disaster. It's cost us points so far and I imagine dropping Steele hasn't done him much good.

Come on Chris, you've got to admit the tinkering is unnecessary at best.

Archived