BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Howard Kendall

Tom

A top guy and will be sadly missed. He put together a team that was hard to beat and had the ability to snatch a winning goal. Also we had those cup matches against Villa and Coventry which will always stick in my mind forever. I was on my honeymoon the night we clinched promotion against Bury and was listening to the match on the radio which didn't impress the missus. A bit like Neville in Auf wiederseun Pet

Happy days. RIP Howard - a Rovers legend

Think you're being a bit harsh on St James of Blackpool there Rev. Won the 3rd Div (as was, weren't we in it that season too?) when he managed Bolton and had Leeds in a European final when he managed them.

I didn't realise he was at the helm when Bolton won the 3rd Division title. I thought it was Ian Greaves who actually succeeded him on looking it up.

I definitely don't think he achieved anything at Leeds who were still a marvellous side at the time. I got the impression he was an avuncular type figure who was brought in to smooth the waters after Brian Clough's turbulent 44 day reign. A sort of 70 ''s version of Woy Hodgson as it were. More of a politician than a manager.

Just my view. Seems a lovely bloke and somewhat of a national treasure which is more important. Still glad we got Howard instead though.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

tribute from blue-eyed boy. Great picture with some lovely jumpers!

https://blueyedboy.wordpress.com/2015/10/17/on-the-march-with-howards-army-part-i-the-beginnings-a-personal-tribute-by-jim-wilkinson/

The FA Cup run beating Coventry and then taking the future European Champs Villa to a reply, yes great days indeed.

the one when Cov wore that brown kit i think.

• Like 1

A great read and always a good blog. Nice to read the comment from Kevin Stonehouse.

I vividly remember taking my Dad to the 1-1 FA Cup game at Ewood v Villa in 1980. As a treat we sat right at the back of the Nuttall St stand with the windows behind us with most of the glass broken. It gave us a good view down on the Villa hordes arriving. What Rovers fans were doing cannot be repeated here ^_^

A very good tribute in the LT:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/13877600.Blackburn_Rovers_legends_pay_tribute_to_the_late_Howard_Kendall/?ref=mac

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Must say I don't recall the Villa game, but vividly remember the Coventry one and the terrible brown kit blueboy mentions above :lol:

I don't think Coventry turned up that day, we never looked in trouble all afternoon and breezed into the next round.

When Howard went on his scouting mission watching Stafford Rangers wasn't it a full back who had been recommended to him yet he came away with one of the best most underrated keepers of his era in Jim Arnold such was Howard knowledge of football unlike today's motley crew.

From Bury to Bristol and just goal difference stopping Rovers from reaching the top flight in two short seasons such a pity but what a great achievement from Howard Kendal if only he'd have had a Jack Walker behind him in those days.

RIP Howard you were fantastic for Blackburn Rovers football club.

Edited by JAL

CRnTO6hWsAA0VNb.jpg

CRnTPCdWoAAJ8Ft.jpg

CRnTOqAWEAA5L8u.jpg

Wish i had those. April 1980 was when I move here so I missed the promotion party. Buggar, i was gutted but I had to do what I had to do.

Must say I don't recall the Villa game, but vividly remember the Coventry one and the terrible brown kit blueboy mentions above :lol:

I don't think Coventry turned up that day, we never looked in trouble all afternoon and breezed into the next round.

Even I remember the Villa game, i had to friggin work nights at the time of the replay so missed it.

tribute from blue-eyed boy. Great picture with some lovely jumpers!

https://blueyedboy.wordpress.com/2015/10/17/on-the-march-with-howards-army-part-i-the-beginnings-a-personal-tribute-by-jim-wilkinson/

the one when Cov wore that brown kit i think.

Great read, where's part 2?

Edited by USABlue

Wish i had those. April 1980 was when I move here so I missed the promotion party. Buggar, i was gutted but I had to do what I had to do.

Even I remember the Villa game, i had to friggin work nights at the time of the replay so missed it.

Great read, where's part 2?

not sure if he's done it yet. sure someone will post it when he does.

EDIT - he had already done it:

https://blueyedboy.wordpress.com/2015/10/18/part-two-on-the-march-with-howards-army-the-resurrection-shuffle/

Edited by blueboy3333

RIP .. Way to young .

Alls I can say is GIgg Lane .

still has to rate as one of my best memories ever supporting Rovers that. What we would give for the likes of Bortherston, McKenzie, Garner, Andy Crawford et al.....................but most of all what we would give for a Manager like Howard to restore some decorum. Night God Bless Howard. RIP.

• Like 1

Just before my time at Rovers, I started watching a couple of years later, however, what he achieved for this club can never be erased and for that I'll always be grateful, but for that I'd have started watching Rovers in Div 3 and not Div 2.

A great ambassador for football and by all accounts a bloody good bloke. Great to see some TV footage on ITV last night of him taking training with the old Riverside Stand in the background, albeit only for a few seconds.

RIP Howard.

• 1 year later...

I was at the Gigg Lane game. Happy days, we never looked like not winning. By some quirk we played Bury at home on the following Saturday for the last game of the season. We played like we'd been on the p--s all week ( which we probably had )  and lost 2-1. Steve Johnson getting two great goals for Bury.

The Ewood pitch centre area was like a sandy desert and it was a blustery day. The referee must have stopped play half a dozen times to whip out his hanky to remove grit from players eyes. It's funny what you remember about games but I've never seen a game stopped like that so often before or since.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was at the Gigg Lane game. Happy days, we never looked like not winning. By some quirk we played Bury at home on the following Saturday for the last game of the season. We played like we'd been on the p--s all week ( which we probably had )  and lost 2-1. Steve Johnson getting two great goals for Bury.

The Ewood pitch centre area was like a sandy desert and it was a blustery day. The referee must have stopped play half a dozen times to whip out his hanky to remove grit from players eyes. It's funny what you remember about games but I've never seen a game stopped like that so often before or since.

I remember it well and it was on TV too the following day, with Gerald Sinstatd.

On 05/08/2017 at 12:19, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My first ever Rovers game. Good memories, thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Guest changed the title to Howard Kendall