BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer Sacked

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gary Bowyer was at first a breath of fresh air! Believe it or not!

It turned a wee bit sour in the end but I for one sincerely hope he is back in the game soon.

I hope he has a good career in the future.

Wouldnt be surprise if he got the Barnsley or Sheff Utd if they came available.

He's a proven coach, but I'm sure you might be getting mixed up with the meaning of the word. You can't ring Rigbys to hire a GB.

I don't like to kick a guy when he's down but where does this " proven coach " come from ? If you mean he's been coaching kids for years, you're right. If you mean he can improve senior players, well the evidence of that is very thin indeed. Just one example . When Souey came to the club Matt Jansen was a talented maverick, an really skilful individualist without much idea of team play. Before too long he'd been moulded into the player we all admired for his work rate and teamwork as much as his ability. That's what I mean by coaching.

I can't really point to many similar examples of massive improvement in players we've signed over the last few years.

I hope he has a good career in the future.

Wouldnt be surprise if he got the Barnsley or Sheff Utd if they came available.

he could learn from his mistakes here and work on his shortcomings whilst he's out of the game(as PL seems to have done) and go on to be a solid championship manager or he could just become a job hopping, fire fighting lower league manager at struggling clubs until they get there stuff together and are in a position to bring in a proper manager(or he could/should just get back to his day job as a reserve or youth coach)

He's well gone and TTFFT.

Close and consign this thread to the history bin please.

Did or has he said thanks to Rovers for giving him a chance at Management and thanks to the fans for their/our support during his time as manager, I have not heard anything but may have missed it due to travelling with work this last month, (in Sunny South Africa this week). If he hasn't then thats bad and just shows really how much he cared.

I don't think there has been anything from Bowyer's end since he left. Usually if a manager wants to say something he will go through the LMA and release a statement, but there hasn't been anything from them.

If Bowyer wants to get back into management then there are plenty of jobs in League One coming available to put himself forward for. Walsall, Chesterfield and Colchester are all currently vacant, and I'd expect Oldham, Barnsley and Crewe to be soon if they don't pick up form quickly.

If he wants to continue in management his best bet would be to go to a League One club with minimal ambitions and do a good job. Somewhere like Oldham would be ideal if it came up. If he went there and kept them up before rebuilding and turning them around his reputation would be quickly enhanced.

I can't see him getting a Championship job in the immediate future, though somewhere like Huddersfield might have been a good option for him.

I don't know why anyone is that bothered now as his relationship with a lot of fans was becoming strained anyway and had been for a good while. There was a reason for his little petty digs and he strikes me as a bit of a mardy pants anyway but he did also regularly praise the support although I think he'd been advised to in recent times.

He was good for Rovers for a short while and Rovers has certainly been good for him. He'd likely have been plodding along still with the U21s on a few grand per week but he may be set for life now after his couple of years as manager and pay off. Profile raised, reputation in tack and enhanced.

Time to move on.

No club of any stature in the entire world would touch Kean with a 10-foot bargepole after we binned him. I'm sure much of this was down to his shady behaviour before and during his spell as manager.

But a good deal will be because he was a first team coach who somehow ended up as our manager and then proceeded to prove he wasn't anything other than a first team coach. Same applies to Bowyer. Apart from a few very rare exceptions (Nigel Adkins, Jose Mourinho), the rule tends to be if you're not good enough to be an assistant manager, you're sure as hell not good enough to be a manager. Kean and Bowyer weren't good enough to be assistant managers or they'd have been ones.

So it was pretty ludicrous that either got the top job with us, I can't see any other club of standing falling over themselves to confirm the already fairly substantial evidence that Bowyer is out of his depth managing a first team.

No club of any stature in the entire world would touch Kean with a 10-foot bargepole after we binned him. I'm sure much of this was down to his shady behaviour before and during his spell as manager.

But a good deal will be because he was a first team coach who somehow ended up as our manager and then proceeded to prove he wasn't anything other than a first team coach. Same applies to Bowyer. Apart from a few very rare exceptions (Nigel Adkins, Jose Mourinho), the rule tends to be if you're not good enough to be an assistant manager, you're sure as hell not good enough to be a manager. Kean and Bowyer weren't good enough to be assistant managers or they'd have been ones.

So it was pretty ludicrous that either got the top job with us, I can't see any other club of standing falling over themselves to confirm the already fairly substantial evidence that Bowyer is out of his depth managing a first team.

Quite right.

I kept getting told that Bowyer was doing a good job under difficult circumstances, that other clubs would want someone as reliable as him, that our owners couldn't be trusted to recruit better and that his success generating income from signings would make him an attractive proposition elsewhere.

Truth be told, other clubs will knwo full well what happened at the Rovers and will wonder how Bowyer survived as all and sundry were removed. They will also understand that he got very good support from all at the club and won't have been fooled by his constant bitching about FFP / embargoes.

Agree this thread should be closed. Its already difficult remembering Bowyer was ever in charge and no-ones missing him.

Quite right.

I kept getting told that Bowyer was doing a good job under difficult circumstances, that other clubs would want someone as reliable as him, that our owners couldn't be trusted to recruit better and that his success generating income from signings would make him an attractive proposition elsewhere.

Truth be told, other clubs will knwo full well what happened at the Rovers and will wonder how Bowyer survived as all and sundry were removed. They will also understand that he got very good support from all at the club and won't have been fooled by his constant bitching about FFP / embargoes.

Agree this thread should be closed. Its already difficult remembering Bowyer was ever in charge and no-ones missing him.

This is particularly true in the case of K**N. How often we we told how good of a manager we had. And where is he now? How come he wasn't sounded out by Liverpool when Rodgers were sacked? I mean he had sooooo much dignity...

Quite right.

proper little hissy fit :lol:

he might just be on holiday,

He may well be on holiday isn't he lucky if he is, Still doesn't excuse his non comments thanking the club and fans for giving him the chance, were we not told he loved the club and he would step away if he thought he was not good enough, ahh money the root of all greed. and i agree put this thread to the lost years of Bowyer.

He may well be on holiday isn't he lucky if he is, Still doesn't excuse his non comments thanking the club and fans for giving him the chance, were we not told he loved the club and he would step away if he thought he was not good enough, ahh money the root of all greed. and i agree put this thread to the lost years of Bowyer.

???

Is it normal to thank the employer that's just sacked you?

The 'giving him a chance' works both ways, without him we might just be in a much worse position...well actually we would. The club and fans owe him a debt of gratitude. I bet Bolton, Blackpool and Wigan wish they'd appointed him, all clubs that struggled after coming down from the Prem. Bowyers record is very good in comparison.

As for thanking the fans, most of you spent your time on here slagging him off, now you want him to thank you for not supporting him :wacko:

You've not thought this through have you.

As for thanking the fans, most of you spent your time on here slagging him off, now you want him to thank you for not supporting him :wacko:

You've not thought this through have you.

Arent we often reminded that this site is tiny and 'in no way represents the fanbase'? In that case then, so what if he got slagged off by the cranks on here?

I'm not particulary arsed if we never hear from the fella again, football is a ruthless business, however he got superb backing from the match going fans, a year of poor performances and not a peep. So from such a 'Rovers man' a quick couple of sentences released from his agent and/or the LMA wouldn't have been too much to ask, surely?

Arent we often reminded that this site is tiny and 'in no way represents the fanbase'? In that case then, so what if he got slagged off by the cranks on here?

I'm not particulary arsed if we never hear from the fella again, football is a ruthless business, however he got superb backing from the match going fans, a year of poor performances and not a peep. So from such a 'Rovers man' a quick couple of sentences released from his agent and/or the LMA wouldn't have been too much to ask, surely?

thats not true is it...not as good as some hoped but not a year of poor performances. We wouldn't have finished 9th and got to the QF of the cup if that were true. I think most would take that for this season as it's a year of 'consolidation' now apparently.

He gave the club ten years so he is a 'Rovers man' to an extent, but he's not in the Tony Parkes league. He may yet release a statement, but like you say, who cares? (apart from the 'cranks' obviously)

I couldn't care less that he's not realised a statement. It would only be as boring as his usual comments.

insightful

thats not true is it...not as good as some hoped but not a year of poor performances. We wouldn't have finished 9th and got to the QF of the cup if that were true. I think most would take that for this season as it's a year of 'consolidation' now apparently.

Up to Christmas 2014 was fine, however a marked decline in performances post Boxing Day that continued through this calendar year.

He gave the club ten years so he is a 'Rovers man' to an extent, but he's not in the Tony Parkes league. He may yet release a statement, but like you say, who cares? (apart from the 'cranks' obviously)

insightful

Yeah, about as insightful as his usual after match comments.

Archived