BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

“It will take time. I’m not so sure they’re used to the intensity and that’s no slight on Gary at all.

“Everybody’s got a way of training and playing and my way is obviously going to be different from Gary’s – and Gary’s is going to be different from Sam Allardyce’s, and Sam’s is going to be different from Kenny Dalglish’s.

“There’s no right way or a wrong way, but the way I want to play, to do it, it’s probably just a little bit different.”

Basically saying... "What the @#/? these lads have been doing in training for past few seasons?"

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Mixed feelings about Lambert's recent quotes. On the one hand, delighted that we have somebody in who recognises what needs to be done to move us forward. On the other hand, irritated but not surprised that the players have been on easy street and we have the mentality of a mid table championship club.

This is exactly what most of us feared, and can leave little doubt that booting out Bowyer was not only correct but absolutely necessary to move us forward.

Talk is cheap, Appleton said much the same when he arrived and we all know he was useless, that rat from Glasgow the same.

Results and improved performances are what Lambert will be judged on, I for one think he's got a tough task. The squads poor in key areas and he has no money to change that, so this will be a real test for him, but I think he's up ferrit!

Talk is cheap, Appleton said much the same when he arrived and we all know he was useless, that rat from Glasgow the same.

Results and improved performances are what Lambert will be judged on, I for one think he's got a tough task. The squads poor in key areas and he has no money to change that, so this will be a real test for him, but I think he's up ferrit!

Key thing is that he recognises that he has to get more out out of the existing squad and i think we can all agree that there is more that can be got out of them with the correct management. Players like Marsh, Lawrence, Guthrie and Koita all need to gain some consistency, we could hurt teams in this league.

I agree, talking the talk is easier than walking the walk.

His CV as a manager is a basis for cautious optimism that he can back up these remarks with results, given time.

Key thing is that he recognises that he has to get more out out of the existing squad and i think we can all agree that there is more that can be got out of them with the correct management. Players like Marsh, Lawrence, Guthrie and Koita all need to gain some consistency, we could hurt teams in this league.

Yes I agree to a point, but sadly I think we have far to many poor inconsistent performers in the squad, and the difference between Premiership/Championship/League 1 is levels of consistency or inconsistency in many cases.

We've not signed Koita, Guthrie, Delfouenso, Apkan etc on free transfers and cr@p wages because they're decent players with good levels of consistency, we've got them because they're inconsistent and in some cases not very good.

But lets see if Lambert can turn journeymen into promotion contenders, I'd like nothing more than see him succeed, starting tomorrow.

• Backroom

Really think we need to stress that patience is key now.

Not known a game with as much hope and expectation as tomorrow for a long time but he doesn't have a magic wand.

If he is working on fitness and other things then it's going to take time, I still think writing this season off as a transitional season wouldn't be the worst thing.

Birmingham, Brighton and Burnley's squads are packed with people who weren't deemed good enough and were signed on free transfers and cheap wages yet under a new manager have thrived.

Scott Arfield is a golden example. Couldn't get in the team at Huddersfield, released on a free transfer, suddenly becomes an integral part of Burnley's promotion winning side.

There's no reason our lot couldn't do similar.

Birmingham, Brighton and Burnley's squads are packed with people who weren't deemed good enough and were signed on free transfers and cheap wages yet under a new manager have thrived.

Scott Arfield is a golden example. Couldn't get in the team at Huddersfield, released on a free transfer, suddenly becomes an integral part of Burnley's promotion winning side.

Exactly, and a wage of around 10k a week is not crap for a Championship player.

That kind of thinking came as a result of the drip drip effect from the drip that was our last manager.

Can't understand some fans talking about Lambert getting improvement this season and then to have a 'real good go' next season.

We've moved on from the Bowyer era.

This is not the PL where there's a huge chasm in ability when comparing the top six to the rest.

This is a very modest C'ship where we have the best finisher bar none and players like Conway, Marshall, Lawrence who can take teams apart. A couple of good early wins and we will be on a roll. Belief, confidence and momentum are everything. I believe we will be in the PL next season and the bookies will take a hiding.

The quality of our squad may be up for debate but, even with Bowyer in charge, when we started with the right mindset we were more than a match for any team in this league.

A positive outlook is the first thing that needs to be instilled and ,listening to Lambert's early interviews, appears to be something he wants to quickly address.

Bet the dressing room is very different with Lambert in there.

An established manager who has been promoted out of this division, managed at a higher level, and back in his playing days achieved more than any of our players. Don't think he will feel under any pressure to be too matey with any of the players in the same way Bowyer did.

Can't wait to see how he shakes things up!

Here we go again, comparing us with teams at the top of the league, its a really really poor argument in my opinion.

Most people that go week in week out can see that some of our players are cr@p, if they're cr@p they're cr@p, no getting away from that regardless of the manager.

Changing systems can turn a cr@p player into an average player that can do a job, but it can't help 3/4, and thats where we're at for me.

But we'll see what Lambert does.

• Moderation Lead

Here we go again, comparing us with teams at the top of the league, its a really really poor argument in my opinion.

Most people that go week in week out can see that some of our players are cr@p, if they're cr@p they're cr@p, no getting away from that regardless of the manager.

Changing systems can turn a cr@p player into an average player that can do a job, but it can't help 3/4, and thats where we're at for me.

But we'll see what Lambert does.

They're no worse than some of the players at teams that are at the top though, that's the point. Middlesbrough and Derby have better squads to be fair, as do Burnley to an extent.

If the new manager can get more out of the players, then it stands to reason we could do better as a whole. Get them to believe in themselves more, expect more and make us hard to beat, and attack teams from the off, none of this cautious mindset any more and we shall see.

That being said, I expect this season to be one of consolidation.

They're no worse than some of the players at teams that are at the top though, that's the point. Middlesbrough and Derby have better squads to be fair, as do Burnley to an extent.

I disagree, Hanley and Rhodes would probably walk into any side in the league, but I don't think anyone else would.

Our midfield is exceptionally poor.

I disagree, Hanley and Rhodes would probably walk into any side in the league, but I don't think anyone else would.

When he's in form, Jordan is the best striker in that league, bar no one. I agree with you, though I even think Hanley would struggle to get into the top three's sides.

• Moderation Lead

Our midfield is exceptionally poor.

Conway and Marshall? Guthrie has also made over 100 appearances in the PL.

Aside from the 3 teams I mentioned, the Championship is much of a muchness. Brighton are top and they have been bang average for the last 18 months!

Come on TJ, it's a bit tedious and old hat questioning if supporters go week in week out.

GAV is as true a Rover as you are likely to find anywhere

I never read his posts, was it aimed at me?

When he's in form, Jordan is the best striker in that league, bar no one. I agree with you, though I even think Hanley would struggle to get into the top three's sides.

I think Hanleys improved his all round this season, but you could be right Nev.

Well when Burnley lost Jason Shackell in the summer the first man they turned to when seeking a replacement was Grant Hanley. The 'ginger Mourinho' who many Rovers fans wish was managing this club (not for me thanks) identified Hanley as his first choice, despite him being an expensive option and him being a Rovers player, and despite Rovers fans spending nearly all last season complaining about him and his performances.

I think that suggests we have decent players. When a supposed very good manager in this league in Dyche wants him as his CB after the departure of Shackell that tends to suggest he knows he is a good player at this level and could do a good job for a side chasing promotion.

Likewise when Middlesbrough were prepared to shatter their transfer record to sign Rhodes - again suggests he is a top class player at this level.

Likewise with Brighton's summer long pursuit of Ben Marshall - Hughton is no mug as their results have shown and he clearly felt Marshall was worth chasing for a substantial amount of money.

Conway is another who is a very good player at this level. Drag up the stats and his assist record is phenomenal.

Conway and Marshall? Guthrie has also made over 100 appearances in the PL.

Aside from the 3 teams I mentioned, the Championship is much of a muchness. Brighton are top and they have been bang average for the last 18 months!

Marshall on his day can be brilliant, but how many good days does he have? Same goes for Conway and Guthrie, the jury is still out surely.

Brighton won't finish in the playoffs I'd wager.

Anyway I'm glad they made a change, it was about time, let's give Lambert time and hope he can pull a few rabbits out of hats.

Archived