BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

Lets hope so because an extra 20 points in 13/14 &14/15 would have meant we were only a few points off automatic promotion. That would mean we'd taken not far from 2 points per game. Do that for the rest of this season and we'll get in the play-offs.

Unless of course you've just pulled a random figure out of fresh air?

Not a number out of fresh air. Last season in my opinion:

Norwich A

Derby H

Watford H

Rotherham A

Huddersfield H

Millwall A

Sheff Wed H

Brentford A

Bolton A

Boro H

Wolves H

Watford A

Blackpool H

Brentford H

Brighton H

Forest H

Huddersfield A

all included managerial tactical cock-ups by GB which contributed to loss of points.

Now not all the 30 odd points in that list would have been recovered by a better manager- the proverbial happens in football- but a Manager with a better grasp of substitutions and reading his opposite number changing tactics would probably have pulled in an extra 20 points out of those games without any change to the players we had available.

Anyone like to comment or disagree?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have to remember we've got a new manager but not a new team so he may well make a few unpopular decisions until he susses what they can and can't do. We've played well but not won a couple of times this season although mainly just in 10 min patches as was the norm under Bowyer.

When we've gone at it on the front foot from the beginning we've looked better and usually won those games so that should be encouraging for him. It won't be easy getting this side to do that regularly though as it's been drummed into them for the past 2 years to be cautious and stand off. Not sure we are a good enough side at the min to play quick paced expansive football either but time will tell.

We have to remember we've got a new manager but not a new team so he may well make a few unpopular decisions until he susses what they can and can't do. We've played well but not won a couple of times this season although mainly just in 10 min patches as was the norm under Bowyer.

When we've gone at it on the front foot from the beginning we've looked better and usually won those games so that should be encouraging for him. It won't be easy getting this side to do that regularly though as it's been drummed into them for the past 2 years to be cautious and stand off. Not sure we are a good enough side at the min to play quick paced expansive football either but time will tell.

Hopefully a lot of time in training this week has been spent on passing in front of the running player and not behind him which seemed to happen a lot before and just slowed everything down. Also on shooting on target and in the case of Duffy and Hanley getting their attacking headers on target.

Latest on Chris Brown: Yes he's still fit but still 2 days to go till match day. He's got to get out of bed at least twice in that time which is notorious for back and knee injuries. No need to panic yet.

new manager yes , but same old players - usually you do get a reaction from players when there's a new manager but Lambert as said , quite commendably , he wants to being attacking entertaining football to us , i just don't see that happening while the midfield is being picked from Lowe Williamson Evans Guthrie and Akpan , there is not one classy footballer between them

Today's reading is from Saint Paul chapter One verses 1 to 9

1. And it came to pass that God who had gone many years ago had suddenly awoken, recognising the plight his beloved team where in.

2. long gone the Jack Walker trust that could not be trusted and John Williams that excellent executive who had been shafted by the reprobate Jerome.

3. Long gone was the last proper manager with the exotic name who was to reappear to the west in the land of Ham, but subsequently dissapear only to resurrect once again in the land of Sunder.

4. Long gone was any faith and hope from the masses as Gods beloved club came into the hands of non football people from a place called Pune in a land way to the east. After a promising start to their reign offering to buy expensive, talented and sought after players, alas non coming to fruition.

5. A period of depression was cast over the land of Ewood creating much gnashing of teeth and much wailing particularly during the reign of Steve K before his demise and ultimate resurrection in a far off land in the Middle East aiding a Sultan. At this time we should take a moment to pray for the said Sultan as we would not wish Steve K on our worst enemy. With, of course, the exception of our six fingered neighbours to the east.

6. Many reigns followed albeit very short ones and turmoil was followed by turmoil until the appointment of a novice who had a steadying influence but alas was unable to lead us to the promised land.

7. Then a light shone from above which at last gave the the non football people in Pune some wisdom and intelligence and a proper manager was appointed, thus making the masses of Ewood happy and enthusiastic again.

8. There was much celebration but God, who I believe created the light, warned his followers to be patient with the new structure as God has wisdom and knows it needs time for the new regime to be successful.

9. A prayer of thanks should therefore be delivered in front of Gods statue at Ewood at the next available opportunity.

new manager yes , but same old players - usually you do get a reaction from players when there's a new manager but Lambert as said , quite commendably , he wants to being attacking entertaining football to us , i just don't see that happening while the midfield is being picked from Lowe Williamson Evans Guthrie and Akpan , there is not one classy footballer between them

Our performances over the last matches haven't been that bad - indeed in the odd match we have played as well as we have for a few years.

We are about to find out how good/bad Bowyer was - don't think he was as bad as many make out - but hope that the greater experience (both manager and coaches) will help us get another 10% out of these players which will make the world of difference.

Well he's just called 'Lowey' by his first name in an interview on the official site, so again, he's faultless with his pressers so far. I'd completely forgotten that his name was Jason.

It probably took the players a moment to realize who he was talking about.

He'd probably only definitely pick Gestede!

Cairney doesn't appear to have had the impact some predicted at Fulham and King was garbage for most of his time here until those scintillating FA Cup displays when his contract was coming up for renewal. Seems to have reverted to type at Bournemouth.

Fair enough - but I think we are basing our optimism on the hope that Lambert can get the most out of our players.

Well he's just called 'Lowey' by his first name in an interview on the official site, so again, he's faultless with his pressers so far. I'd completely forgotten that his name was Jason.

here is Paul Lambert BBC Radio Lancs interview

https://audioboom.com/boos/3831481-listen-onerovers-manager-paul-lambert-speaks-to-andybayes

From Grant Hanley's Rovers player interview said that Paul Lambert has told the squad that it is his way.

I was thinking that as well, just how many times has Browny been just not quite ready under Gaz and now hey presto he's fit to play.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3326200/Paul-Lambert-vows-whip-Blackburn-shape-getting-bike-summer.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

'You can’t have a workplace where mediocre is acceptable,’ Lambert warned. ‘I felt when I first looked around there was an acceptance that we are a mid-table team. I don’t want that, you’ve got to have adrenalin in football'

He's saying the right things and he enjoys cycling. Can't fault him so far.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3326200/Paul-Lambert-vows-whip-Blackburn-shape-getting-bike-summer.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

'You cant have a workplace where mediocre is acceptable, Lambert warned. I felt when I first looked around there was an acceptance that we are a mid-table team. I dont want that, youve got to have adrenalin in football'

Unbelievable Jeff.

here is Paul Lambert BBC Radio Lancs interview

https://audioboom.com/boos/3831481-listen-onerovers-manager-paul-lambert-speaks-to-andybayes

From Grant Hanley's Rovers player interview said that Paul Lambert has told the squad that it is his way.

Hanley comments to Radio Lancs: https://audioboom.com/boos/3831479-listen-onerovers-captain-grant-hanley-speaks-to-andybayes

at about 50 secs in ''trainings been good, intensity's been high.....ermmm...which is maybe what we needed a little bit''

• Backroom

The holiday camp eluded to by a few of us in Bowyers reign seems to be being backed up a bit now.

Trying not to get giddy as there is always a chance in football that things just don't work out but this has been a breath of fresh air - then again Appleton spoke a load of sense and worked them hard as well!

'You can’t have a workplace where mediocre is acceptable,’ Lambert warned. ‘I felt when I first looked around there was an acceptance that we are a mid-table team. I don’t want that, you’ve got to have adrenalin in football'

Add that quote to his remarks about too much negativity because of the embargo and too many draws.

He's very quickly latched on to the flaws in mentality of the previous manager.

'You cant have a workplace where mediocre is acceptable, Lambert warned. I felt when I first looked around there was an acceptance that we are a mid-table team. I dont want that, youve got to have adrenalin in football'

What a breath of fresh air it is to read that. Looks like Operation Dumb Down has been shelved...if you'll pardon my turn of phrase.

Archived