BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

You tend to get what you pay for in football, not necessarily in terms of transfer fees but most of the time in terms of wage bill. Our wage bill has shrunk every season we've been in the division, so stands to reason the quality of our squad has also got continually worse. Its not the easiest thing to do rating players in comparison to the rest of the league but looking at their careers objectively, out of the regular side this season:

Steele: Played for a big Championship club since the age of 20, should be getting better - top half

Henley: Has always struggled to hold down a first team place - bottom half

Hanley: PL experience and 19 caps for Scotland - top 6

Duffy: At poor teams before us, unlike Hanley can't get in his national side - mid-table

Olsson: About half a league worse than his brother - top half

Marshall: Made the play-offs with Leicester previously - top half

Akpan: Struggled to get into a poor Reading side last season - bottom half

Evans: Promoted with Hull, 31 caps - top half

Conway: Title winner with Cardiff, possibly past his best at 30 - top 6

Lawrence: No experience but very young, in the Wales side at 21 - mid-table

Rhodes: Prolific in the division - top 2

I'd say that averages out at about top half. With Gestede we should have made the play-offs last season, this season I think Bowyer would have had us about mid-table. So if Lambert manages the top half this season and the play-offs next he'll have done well. If he manages the play-offs this season he'll become a hero!

Glad your posting again SKH. Agree with all of the above in the main.

Even though our wage bill has decreased however it's still millions more than many at this level. If these players are crap it's a joke what they are taking home. I expect better. Three wins all year whilst crippling the club with debt. I'm sick of our players getting off so lightly.

I've always said it's a lazy squad lacking grit and true belief. I'm now expecting 100% effort, committment, desire and courage. We are a better team already if they give that to Lambert.

Cairney, Gestede and Rhodes all wanted to scarper in the summer. Probably others as well. Sums up what our better players thought of things here.

Tough away game at PNE. More than happy with a draw. Let's build some momentum, step by step. If we can dig out some results whilst also adapting to change, brilliant. If not, I'm happy to write this season off, but only if that gives Lambert 10 months, a pre-season and FFP notwithstanding, a couple of transfer windows to target and achieve something meaningful next year. A lot of points waxed already this season. As others have said, the play-offs are a tough ask after our rhubarb start.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't understand some fans talking about Lambert getting improvement this season and then to have a 'real good go' next season.

We've moved on from the Bowyer era.

This is not the PL where there's a huge chasm in ability when comparing the top six to the rest.

This is a very modest C'ship where we have the best finisher bar none and players like Conway, Marshall, Lawrence who can take teams apart. A couple of good early wins and we will be on a roll. Belief, confidence and momentum are everything. I believe we will be in the PL next season and the bookies will take a hiding.

I would be delighted if you were totally right with your assessment. Just don't regard this prophecy as the new standard, below which= failure.

The task ahead of Lambert is very difficult and I think you are underestimating it.

Really looking forward to tomorrow game under Paul Lambert.

I wondering what style of play and formation will we play

Any kind that wins the game will do for me.

John Williams was smoking some serious s**t when he appointed Ince. We had the likes of Michael Laudrup applying for the job but naaah, let's hire the Guv'nor.

To be fair, everyone knows he wanted to appoint Sam as Hughes replacement, but some 'fans' took to protesting about it in the lancs telegraph. He was weak in that instance. Not sure laudrup was ever in the running.

John Williams was smoking some serious s**t when he appointed Ince. We had the likes of Michael Laudrup applying for the job but naaah, let's hire the Guv'nor.

Wasnt Laudrup offered a contract for 3 years but he only wanted 2 years? Isnt that when Williams went for Ince

To be fair, everyone knows he wanted to appoint Sam as Hughes replacement, but some 'fans' took to protesting about it in the lancs telegraph. He was weak in that instance. Not sure laudrup was ever in the running.

I've never believed that for a second. John Williams had more integrity than to pander to the Facebook crowd. He was trying to replicate the Sparky formula, hiring another up-and-coming manager from the Old Trafford stable, but it backfired spectacularly. Anyone could see that the two of them were chalk and cheese. Sparky managed international football and handled Premier League egos, whereas Ince did his time in the third division, where his reputation as a player carried him.

Wasnt Laudrup offered a contract for 3 years but he only wanted 2 years? Isnt that when Williams went for Ince

Not sure. There was talk that he wanted a clause in his contract so that he could leave if a Spanish club approached us. If that were the case, it would probably mean that he was doing a good job, no?

I've never believed that for a second. John Williams had more integrity than to pander to the Facebook crowd. He was trying to replicate the Sparky formula, hiring another up-and-coming manager from the Old Trafford stable, but it backfired spectacularly. Anyone could see that the two of them were chalk and cheese. Sparky managed international football and handled Premier League egos, whereas Ince did his time in the third division, where his reputation as a player carried him.

Not sure. There was talk that he wanted a clause in his contract so that he could leave if a Spanish club approached us. If that were the case, it would probably mean that he was doing a good job, no?

I think you're being a little unfair on Ince toppers. He got Jason Brown through his bus drivers test.

Really looking forward to tomorrow game under Paul Lambert.

I wondering what style of play and formation will we play

if I was to stick my neck out, I would say Marshall in an attacking central midfield role with Evans holding. Maybe Lawrence on the wing and Koita up with Rhodes.

I have been looking forward to this match all week. I can't remember feeling like that since Tugay was playing.

That's seems odd.

Not doubting it, just seems odd. Barcelona? Makes sense. But ANY Spanish side? Recreativo? Osasuna? Surely not inclusive of those?

Really looking forward to seeing what Lamberts team looks like tomorrow.

But we have to be realistic. For me the remainder this season is to assess the squad, get out of FFP and to start identifying new recruits and a system of play. I would love if he raided Norwich for Wes Hoolahan. He has made a huge difference for Ireland since he got in the team and would be fantastic behind JR. But Lambert needs time, there is a big mess to be sorted. He will have to gut the squad as no matter what, we have to be honest to ourselves. We have a few good players but not enough to get out of the devison.

Am I dreaming? Every time I read or hear anything that Lambert says it's like a breath of fresh air. He's even talking about trying to win games! Gadzooks!

Add to that we have harmony and even optimism on the messageboard! A win today will really crank things up a notch.

I'm still not expecting promotion this season... but I'm now hopeful.

Am I dreaming? Every time I read or hear anything that Lambert says it's like a breath of fresh air. He's even talking about trying to win games! Gadzooks!

Add to that we have harmony and even optimism on the messageboard! A win today will really crank things up a notch.

I'm still not expecting promotion this season... but I'm now hopeful.

Yes ive finally started to read the managers comments again after giving up with the drivel GB was putting out pre/post games, Lambert certainly getting people excited again and why not ?

Most of us know this season will be a work in progress and what will be will be.Realistically nice position for Lambert to be in really, chance to assess over the season what we are short of and hopefully address in the summer. No real pressure unless everything, god forbid, goes knockers up.

Yes ive finally started to read the managers comments again after giving up with the drivel GB was putting out pre/post games, Lambert certainly getting people excited again and why not ?

Most of us know this season will be a work in progress and what will be will be.Realistically nice position for Lambert to be in really, chance to assess over the season what we are short of and hopefully address in the summer. No real pressure unless everything, god forbid, goes knockers up.

I trust that fans won't forget the last five years of stupidly and will give time for an experienced manager to make this team his. After all the current squad has been shaped and honed in Bowyer's image. That will take a while to get over.

After that two things I could see for everything to go Tango Uniform: either Lambert walks (false promises over the embargo or head hunter - the latter meaning success for us in the process) or Venkys get future bad advice and try to change things again. Hopefully they have learned their lesson - the hard way.

Archived