BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rovers fans - don't ever let people tell you that we can't ever do better. Dont give time to any future manager telling you to settle for mediocrity. We've had too many of those already.

And yet until Bowyer was sacked, many of them did just that.

Training on a Sunday. My God, I am loving this guy already. Camp Brockhall is no more.

Clearly Lambert is unhappy with the fitness of the players and wants it much better. Plus I would imagine that he wants to work on his tactics and shape more.

What are the positives you've taken out of the last 7 days JAL?

Lambert's actions and comments. really enjoyed reading/listening to them

Lambert hit the nail on the head for me. Too many willing to accept mediocrity where Rovers were concerned.

You shouldn't accept that in life, so why expect that from your football club?

Spot on there.

Been impressed by Lambert with his actions and comments so far.

he has a winning mentality and that's what we all wants as fans.

And yet until Bowyer was sacked, many of them did just that.

(This is not just a reply to you tm, can't find the original post must be tired thought it might be khod)

Firstly comparing your own life or existence to a business you have no real say over bar stadium voice in terms of accepting mediocracy? Weird link- I mean if I wanted a better job, I can simply look for one. If I wanted BRFC to succeed, I can't exactly make that more realistic by signing up for a CV building website...

In terms of posters accepting mediocracy, it's the classic BRFCC wrong or right mentality that if you didn't think sacking the previous manager was guaranteed to improve the scenario then you where accepting mediocre performances or had below average expectations.

I'm happier than anyone that we've got a new manager who's already making us better and saying the right things. The stats post was also pointing to what I generally got from Saturday, less worry at a potential equaliser. (Maybe that was the ale...)

I'm not embarrassed to say that I never thought sacking GB would've certainly have led to; Venkys to suddenly start looking for ways to invest, get 3 properly experienced managers (lambert, Irvine, Kelly) after having 0 for 5 years, give expectations in public regarding promotion and restore quite a lot of pride in the process.

It would be nice to move on, but it seems a group of posters want to keep reminding others about past positions of view point with the benefit of hindsight This is taking new threads down old "rhodes" and most importantly taking discussions backwards towards the dark times as opposed to a "new day" for BRFC.

(This is not just a reply to you tm, can't find the original post must be tired thought it might be khod)

Firstly comparing your own life or existence to a business you have no real say over bar stadium voice in terms of accepting mediocracy? Weird link- I mean if I wanted a better job, I can simply look for one. If I wanted BRFC to succeed, I can't exactly make that more realistic by signing up for a CV building website...

In terms of posters accepting mediocracy, it's the classic BRFCC wrong or right mentality that if you didn't think sacking the previous manager was guaranteed to improve the scenario then you where accepting mediocre performances or had below average expectations.

I'm happier than anyone that we've got a new manager who's already making us better and saying the right things. The stats post was also pointing to what I generally got from Saturday, less worry at a potential equaliser. (Maybe that was the ale...)

I'm not embarrassed to say that I never thought sacking GB would've certainly have led to; Venkys to suddenly start looking for ways to invest, get 3 properly experienced managers (lambert, Irvine, Kelly) after having 0 for 5 years, give expectations in public regarding promotion and restore quite a lot of pride in the process.

It would be nice to move on, but it seems a group of posters want to keep reminding others about past positions of view point with the benefit of hindsight This is taking new threads down old "rhodes" and most importantly taking discussions backwards towards the dark times as opposed to a "new day" for BRFC.

Good Post that

Venkys have finally learned. still surprised that we got Lambert in.

We all have different views on Rovers but at the end of the day we all want the best for Rovers.

I admit I was wrong for supporting GB far too long. (At least I can admit my mistakes)

We were conditioned (as fans) to accept mediocrity because what was served up previous to it was even worse before that. I think that we just gradually woke up to it, the most avid fan growing bored of what we saw and were conscious of being sold a lie via the manager.

Lambert is great so far. I want to listen to and respect what he has to say. He sounds ruthless and a real winner. For me, he's a dream appointment.

I admit I was wrong for supporting GB far too long. (At least I can admit my mistakes)

You chose to be supportive, probably because you only expected some over promoted guy to take the reins again. Nothing wrong with that. No wrong or right, there's still a long way to go.

We were conditioned (as fans) to accept mediocrity because what was served up previous to it was even worse before that. I think that we just gradually woke up to it, the most avid fan growing bored of what we saw and were conscious of being sold a lie via the manager.

Lambert is great so far. I want to listen to and respect what he has to say. He sounds ruthless and a real winner. For me, he's a dream appointment.

Not all off us were

;)

Ah, I see what you did there JB. :)

You're a bit off the mark there though. This isn't taking anything backwards, it's most definitely moving the argument forward. What we hear now from Lambert is the direction the club needs to move, to actually rid everyone of the nightmarish last 5 years. Hindsight doesn't come into it. He might succeed or he might fail Appleton style, - BUT HE IS AT LEAST GOING TO TRY. Good luck to him, because the way we were going, we wouldn't have had many fans left. Just goes to show that we don't have to aim for stability.

• Moderation Lead

Joe lad, we've moved on(and thank goodness for that), everything coming out of Lambert's mouth seems to be what we needed to hear. As much as actions speak louder than words, we've reason to be at the very least cautiously optimistic and long may that continue.

Ah, I see what you did there JB. :)

You're a bit off the mark there though. This isn't taking anything backwards, it's most definitely moving the argument forward. What we hear now from Lambert is the direction the club needs to move, to actually rid everyone of the nightmarish last 5 years. Hindsight doesn't come into it. He might succeed or he might fail Appleton style, - BUT HE IS AT LEAST GOING TO TRY. Good luck to him, because the way we were going, we wouldn't have had many fans left. Just goes to show that we don't have to aim for stability.

The fans had never been given a true aim by the owners, or at least all previous attempts or aims had been false.

They said nothing of note in terms of grandiose promise, the main thing they did was clear the decks and bring in 3 experienced proven professionals and that goes completely against anything they have ever done.

It was never black and white then, just like the future isn't now. Hiring the right people will make it a lot more likely to be a success or failure, but the previous debate (brought on by a few nodding in agreement about large sections the support "accepting mediocracy") had to include the prospect of an "Appleton Style appointment" within its context.

Joe lad, we've moved on(and thank goodness for that), everything coming out of Lambert's mouth seems to be what we needed to hear. As much as actions speak louder than words, we've reason to be at the very least cautiously optimistic and long may that continue.

As before, I'm less bothered about what comes out his mouth and completely focussed on what he and his team produce on the pitch. I did notice that someone quoted an exact "bowyerism" from his fans on side thing which did make me laugh a little. As I said before in the face of "he's speaking to Pune" argument, its all standard manager rhetoric.

For me there were two issues under Bowyer.

1) Not could, but would Venky's appoint a better calibre of manager if they potted Bowyer. Past experience said it was likely they would appoint yet another nomark, so it wasn't surprising that quite a few fans in real life (much higher percentage than found on this website) didn't want to rock the boat.

2) Could the players do any better. Now this one was the rub for me. Bowyer had successfully dumbed down expectations to such a point, that the utter dross we had to watch week in week out was deemed acceptable, that because of embargo we couldn't possibly expect any better. 'face it, they are crap players', 'cant make a silk purse...' etc. etc.

A good percentage of our fanbase fell for it, though I thought it did our great club a disservice and is why Lambert's 'acceptance of mediocrity' line has had such resonance with myself and many others.

True, but we wouldn't have been smarmy had Judan Ali been appointed ☺

Is that the Royal we

I'm not getting carried away with Lambert's words. Its good to hear but results are what I'll be judging him on.

100% win ratio so far

Is that the Royal we

Haha, I haven't heard that phrase for a while. I'm trying to steer away from Gordon territory. I know I can trace my disdain and rantings about Bowyer football all the way back to when we sat back against 10 man Birmingham and scraped a win. I knew he wouldn't take us anywhere from there and from that point my eyes were wide open to mediocrity but my ears were being told a different version of events.

Lambert is pulling no punches with his criticism but I have yet to disagree with him. There isn't much love for what he has inherited with the players physical and mental states. It certainly seems to be proven that things have been just ticking over at about 60% and I can't wait to see us fit and full of belief. Lambert now needs to get us around the 2 points per game mark asap and show that he is more than brutally honest.

I personally think that Bowyer knew that his job was under serious scrutiny, especially after his 'sacking' in September. After that, the tactics changed a little and play visibly improved. It was, way too little far too late though. I'm really looking forward to the match at the weekend and hope the feel good factor is evident amongst the fans. Some will deny it but it got to a point (certainly near to where I sit) where some Rovers fans weren't even celebrating goals like we should do because each one felt like a step away from needed change. Now, as harsh as it sounds, we are liberated.

Bowyers mentality would have been fine in the premier league. Not good enough when the aim is top 6 in the championship though.

No it wouldn't.

Bowyers 'mentality' as you put it would have been better suited as a coach or in charge of the youth team, he was a manager promoted beyond his ability.

• Backroom

A Bowyer team would get ripped apart in the PL. He got away with it in the Championship because for his first two seasons we had a better team than many of our own fans gave us credit for, and he always had a 20 goal a season striker at his disposal - two in his second season - that regularly dug us out of holes. Unless Bowyer was in charge of a top club in the PL he wouldn't have that luxury and his results wouldn't be tolerated at a club with any ambition.

I accept that Lambert can't turn a Delfouneso into a Messi or a Lowe into a Viera but notwithstanding any perceived quality or lack thereof in the squad a large part of the problem was the prevailing mentality.

If you're playing at home and only really come out of the dressing room at 4p.m. when you're drawing or losing you're not giving yourself a proper chance to win the game. If you're playing at home and you're 2 or 3 up and you're fannying about taking 30 forwards sideways and backwards passes without even getting in the opposition half that's great to run down the clock. If however the score is still 0-0 then whilst the meaningless possession stats might look good at the end of the game, you're actually once again reducing the time available to you to go out and win the game. If the manager and players are happy with a point on any given afternoon they're not going to push as hard as they might for a winner. Lawrence said it was a good point just recently after the Brentford game.

All that in my view is why any manager worth his salt ought to be able to get an extra 15-20 % out of this squad regardless of ability or further additions. If Lambert can get the whole team genuinely at it for 90 minutes from first whistle to last he'll give us a great chance.

• Moderation Lead

I'm not getting carried away with Lambert's words. Its good to hear but results are what I'll be judging him on.

Don't think you're any different to anyone else, well, apart from those who didn't seem concerned about results under Bowyer....

Archived