BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Notice the BBC are saying Lambert is our 7th permanent manager in 7 years. Is that right?

Ince

Allardyce

Kean

Berg

Appleton

Bowyer

And now Lambert..

Suppose it is then.

BBC are using it as a stick to beat us and our owners with - managers get no chance etc. Now I'm no fan of our owners, but I am of our club and this negativity from the press really hacks me off. Basically they're saying we give managers no time, yet for good or ill (actually ill both times) 2 on that list had a lot longer than they would at any other club. But that doesn't work with the stick it to Blackburn Rovers agenda.

A really interesting comment post match from Lambert about intensity in training and he also says the players could have been tired because of this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34891994

It's been interesting. Lambert has come out and praised Bowyer for stabilising the club, but comments about us having a mid table Championship club mentality, low intensity training and overall "negativity" are essentially him saying Bowyer was doing a bad job this season, without outright stating it.

If he did any research prior to getting this gig, none of this will be a surprise to him, and I doubt it is. I imagine he knew exactly what he was dealing with when he arrived, and has quickly taken to fixing the problems he's inherited.

Spot on guys and it's something I noticed in his comments too. Mind you the fans all saw it - low intensity of training and negative outlook - so I'd be a tad worried if he didn't spot it. But it goes to show and underline how much of a shambles we were pre Lambert coming in. Regardless of results this season (which I think will be good) the shift in attitude and professionalism will go a long way to stabilizing our club and giving the foundations, or perhaps springboard, for future success the year after.

Personally I think any manager looking at us would've seen us as a great gig. Owners rep and embargo protect you from criticism, but lots of opportunity to get the team more successful just by implementing basic professional values. Finances aside (a big if I know) but we were a very easy fix. One of the reasons this season and last were so frustrating imo.

Yesterday was a bit on an eye opener sat amongst the PNE fans. This continued after the match on the way out and on the walk back to the car. Grayson was getting some slating. Terms like 'long ball merchant', 'out of his depth', 'clueless' and these were some of the polite ones ! The guy has just got them promoted and to be honest, I thought they played some pretty good stuff yesterday, especially in the first half and down their left hand side.

Of more interest to Rovers' fans were some of the comments made about Lambert. They think we've got a winner and we will be right up there in the mix come the end of the season. I did sense more than a degree of envy and fear and they still look upon Rovers as a 'bigger' club despite the nonsense that was spouted by some of the PNE lot on here pre match.

Madness from PNE. Did well to get them up, and if he keeps them up will have done well. To anyone but a disillusion PNE fan they are a small club and getting them into the championship is a massive achievement, and keeping them there would be an even bigger one. Honestly, I've no idea what planet PNE fans are on. At least the dingles have a good manager to give some basis for their illusions of grandeur.

I saw on at least 3 occaisions Lambert pull over a player to the technical area to give specific instructions .... not going to jump on the Bowyer Bashing Bandwaggon but .... can't remember him doing that

• Backroom

Regarding the new fitness regime. It'll take time getting these players up to speed. They won't be used to being whipped and mid season isn't the best time to up the tempo in training too fiercely. We don't want to " Leave It All In The Gym " as they say in boxing.

Much like it took Hughes 2-3 months to get us fit back then. But a win is a win and I'll take them brilliant or gritty and ground-out.

Can't wait to welcome him this weekend and see the pieces slowly fall into place.

I saw on at least 3 occaisions Lambert pull over a player to the technical area to give specific instructions .... not going to jump on the Bowyer Bashing Bandwaggon but .... can't remember him doing that

Bowyer was much better than that. He'd pop his hands in his pockets, stare at the grass and channel his thoughts and instructions to the desired player. No need for verbal communication, it's very time consuming.

Regarding the new fitness regime. It'll take time getting these players up to speed. They won't be used to being whipped and mid season isn't the best time to up the tempo in training too fiercely. We don't want to " Leave It All In The Gym " as they say in boxing.

But when would a good time be? Leave it until the start of next season??

We (many) said that we needed a new manager who knew what he was doing. Lambert fits that description, he's been there and is in a far better position to judge the current squad than we are. They are after all young professionals and if it means pushing them that little bit further to get the best out of them then I'm 100% behind Lambert.

Lambert has already said he is willing to risk injuries in order to get the fitness levels he wants.

I doubt when he was watching Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich he was seeing too many players being carried off the training pitch.

There's a big difference between pushing them a little bit further and flogging them into the ground. Pre-season is the beasting time. I'm sure Lambert knows all about that. I hope he'll tailor the training to improving fitness without burning us out mid season.

You seem to be determined to rain on the parade, Tyrone.

It's the first time the clouds have parted for five years.

Sunday training:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/621293/Paul-Lambert-BlackburnSunday-training-Leeds-Neil-Redfearn

Lambert must believe that fitness levels are way below standards required.

Just when has Shane Duffy ever ever been outstanding? The Ulsterman missed another header, knocked the Preston goalscorer to the ground in the process, then lost him, only for him to get up and put the ball in the back of the Rovers net....outstanding ???

Been away for the weekend, but followed events on-line, I have to say Lambert hasn't put a foot wrong yet.

Love the fact he's concentrating on fitness, love the quotes about the acceptance of mediocrity. Impressed he didn't spend his time away from the game loafing around.

Feels like we have our football club back.

Absolutely delighted that Lambert hasinsutituted a crash course on fitness.

Seems determined to scrap for every single point available as he has to if he's going to win his promotion bonus this season.

Sheffield Wednesday is going to be a major test- probably man for man marginally the better side- and they will have a big following with them at Ewood.

You seem to be determined to rain on the parade, Tyrone.

It's the first time the clouds have parted for five years.

Not at all. Tell me what you think is wrong with my posting ? I'm delighted just like everyone else. I'm pleased it hasn't taken long for Lambert to pick up on what lots of us have been saying for years. The fitness levels of the team were nowhere near what they should have been at a professional club.

Not too fussed about the performance, we were away from home against a team that hasn't conceded a goal in a few games at home.

Lambert's only had a week of training but i have the confidence that he has learnt from that first game and we will improve over the course of the season.

Onwards and upwards

Absolutely delighted that Lambert hasinsutituted a crash course on fitness.

Seems determined to scrap for every single point available as he has to if he's going to win his promotion bonus this season.

Sheffield Wednesday is going to be a major test- probably man for man marginally the better side- and they will have a big following with them at Ewood.

There is a saying in sport that says train as you mean to play and clearly Lambert wants to try and play a high tempo, intense pressing game much like he did at Norwich. The way Lambert has changed things within a week really says a lot about the lax regime that we saw under Bowyer. And I think there will be a clear message to the players that if they don't like it then simply go and find another club.

Archived