BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

Can't sleep! ... just had a look at how Rovers have fared this season against those we've played out of the current top 6:

Hull A 1-1 Draw

Brighton A 1-0 Loss

Burnley H 1-0 Loss

Derby H 0-0 Draw

Brum A 0-0 Draw

The only game I saw live on TV was v Burnley where we were the better side and should have won comfortably. Only 3 goals conceded in those 5 games but just 1 scored for 3 points from 15 possible. I am taking the away draws v Hull & Brum as decent results.

The point I'm trying to make here is that this league is mediocre and that a few goals more from us would have resulted in an impressive points haul against the 'top' teams in the Division.

My hope is that Lambert can get us into a positive mindset and go for wins and not draws as under the old regime. If this happens going on a good run is achievable.

I believe he can. Dare to Dream.

As others have rightly said patience is a virtue and Lambert will get that but with a bit of luck the tide is changing at Ewood on the playing field at least.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great point. I was just about to post along the same lines regarding the current squad and that of the 1990-1992 seasons.

We firstly bought Steve Livingstone and Tony Dobson from top flight Coventry City and then over several months added players like Kevin Moran, Chris Price, Mike Newell, Duncan Shearer, Alan Wright, Steve Agnew, Gordon Cowans and David Speedie.

That side only made the playoffs courtesy of a last day win at Plymouth. We are left with 'the willy we can wee with' and will only be allowed to add to the current squad if we can somehow wriggle out of the embargo in January.

I realise that us fans are extremely excited at the moment but feel expectations should be tempered somewhat. Slow, steady progress should be the aim this season with one or two additions if possible in January. Further additions as necessary in the summer, hit the ground running with automatic promotion thereafter.

Livingstone, Dobson, Agnew, Price and Shearer offered zilch that season. As did Richardson and Sherwood. Experience and craft finally got us up in 92.

2001 was a mixture of brilliant youth players, experience and shrewd loan signings (Berkovic, Berg and Mahon). You don't need to throw money at a team in this league, but the blend has got to be right and you've got to have a manager with belief.

Yes thats why Paul Lambert will need to another goal scorer in January.

But he blatantly set us up to pass sideways, not commit forwards, strive for draws and at best, snatch wins via Rhodes. I think there are definitely goals in Rhodes, Conway, Lawrence and Koita. Marshall, Akpan and the centre backs should be chipping in too with three to five each. We need to attack with intensity during the last ten mins - we've lacked that for 18 months. Also, Duffy needs to learn how to hit the target. That lad heads over twice a game.

But he blatantly set us up to pass sideways, not commit forwards, strive for draws and at best, snatch wins via Rhodes. I think there are definitely goals in Rhodes, Conway, Lawrence and Koita. Marshall, Akpan and the centre backs should be chipping in too with three to five each. We need to attack with intensity during the last ten mins - we've lacked that for 18 months. Also, Duffy needs to learn how to hit the target. That lad heads over twice a game.

Three to five might be a realistic target but is that really enough for the team to get promotion.

The gap seems too big at the moment but all it takes is a run of 3 wins here and there to get up there. If we can strengthen in January and only find ourselves 7-8 points away from 6th then that is certainly possible to make up. Traditionally there is always one team that finishes like a train in the latter half of the season. No reason why that can't be us.

Things can quickly gain momentum. Two or three good signings or loans in January then string together a few wins, crowds rise with the football on offer etc. If we start sniffing top 6 I expect the atmosphere at Ewood will be rocking very quickly!

That said, I would gladly take a much improved home record and solid top 10 finish this year with a real promotion push next year.

Lambert making all the right noises - what a refreshing approach.

Think we've now a lot to look forward to - roll on Saturday!

Paul Lambert: I want to play football that will get Blackburn Rovers fans on their feet

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/14040981.Paul_Lambert__I_want_to_play_football_that_will_get_Blackburn_Rovers_fans_off_their_feet/?ref=mac

Lambert is down Gestede, Cairney and King on the squad Bowyer finished 9th with last season. As well as starting with an 11 point handicap over 6th placed Birmingham. Lets absolutely be optimistic but lets not revert back to the entitled, unrealistically demanding attitude that was so prevalent in the Big Sam era.

Just read Lambert's comment in the LT..................imagine if he still had these guys to pick from. Sigh!

Just read Lambert's comment in the LT..................imagine if he still had these guys to pick from. Sigh!

He'd probably only definitely pick Gestede!

Cairney doesn't appear to have had the impact some predicted at Fulham and King was garbage for most of his time here until those scintillating FA Cup displays when his contract was coming up for renewal. Seems to have reverted to type at Bournemouth.

He'd probably only definitely pick Gestede!

Cairney doesn't appear to have had the impact some predicted at Fulham and King was garbage for most of his time here until those scintillating FA Cup displays when his contract was coming up for renewal. Seems to have reverted to type at Bournemouth.

Agree 100%

For no reason at all, I get the feeling we'll play with 2 strikers. We may start with a conventional if narrow 4-4-2 until he knows exactly how our guys play, then he might try something different......like a 5-3-2.

Again, I have no real basis for this, just a gut feeling.

I think he will either a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 with us playing a high tempo style. Abit like the Klopp way.

I think he will either a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 with us playing a high tempo style. Abit like the Klopp way.

I don't think it will be 100 miles away from what we have been playing if I'm honest. I don't think it should either, Lawrence is exciting in the hole.

I think people need to remain a bit grounded, talk of winning 5 in a row whilst nice and I hope happens might not be realistic.

Before anyone says I am being negative I am confident that Lambert will come in give the players the kick up the arse they need and will get more consistent results but it's a competitive division. It may take a little while for Lambert to find that right balance in terms of attack and defence, it's clear he wants to play expansive and attractive football but there has to be that balance.

He's a decent appointment, one that has been there and done it but let's see how it plays out.

I think people need to remain a bit grounded, talk of winning 5 in a row whilst nice and I hope happens might not be realistic.

Before anyone says I am being negative I am confident that Lambert will come in give the players the kick up the arse they need and will get more consistent results but it's a competitive division. It may take a little while for Lambert to find that right balance in terms of attack and defence, it's clear he wants to play expansive and attractive football but there has to be that balance.

He's a decent appointment, one that has been there and done it but let's see how it plays out.

Quite right. Notwithstanding the 'new manager bounce', I expect that any progress will be incremental rather than an overnight success.

I think you are right but I think we have all been overwhelmed with confidence because of recent seasons. It's all coming out because we're confident in the new man. It's right to think that it may be a bit too much for him to win the first 5 etc, but this is the first appointment in a long time that the fans have backed fully.

I guess it's all just over excitement (God, when was the last time that sentence was associated with Rovers?!!!)

I think GB's tactical shortcomings were easily costing us 20 points a season.

On that basis, the current squad should be on about 22 points now if we simply had had an average Championship Manager as opposed to GB.

Not good enough for the play-offs but not that far off.

All to play for so far as I am concerned- it is a very big ask as I have pointed out elsewhere; 5th are 14 points ahead of us and any club from 6th down to us could go on a run and have the advantage of starting with more points than us.

Still that is an emminently winnable set of 6 starting fixtures if we can find a way of penetrating PNE's six match run without letting a goal in.

I think GB's tactical shortcomings were easily costing us 20 points a season.

On that basis, the current squad should be on about 22 points now if we simply had had an average Championship Manager as opposed to GB.

Not good enough for the play-offs but not that far off.

All to play for so far as I am concerned- it is a very big ask as I have pointed out elsewhere; 5th are 14 points ahead of us and any club from 6th down to us could go on a run and have the advantage of starting with more points than us.

Still that is an emminently winnable set of 6 starting fixtures if we can find a way of penetrating PNE's six match run without letting a goal in.

Lets hope so because an extra 20 points in 13/14 &14/15 would have meant we were only a few points off automatic promotion. That would mean we'd taken not far from 2 points per game. Do that for the rest of this season and we'll get in the play-offs.

Unless of course you've just pulled a random figure out of fresh air?

Can you imagine if he starts Chris Brown and Williamson in Saturday - the reactions would be fun

If Lambert manages to get a goal out of Chris Brown then I will be convinced he's a miracle worker!

Archived