BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

Looking at our next 6 fixtures, Lambert has every chance of hitting the ground running.

Preston away - very winnable, point minimum expectation

Sheff Wed home - in good form, but got a hammering off Charlton recently, so by all means a game we can win

Bristol City away - prone to the odd hammering, game we should be aiming to win

Rotherham home - if we perform anywhere near our best we should win this

Forest home - no great shakes this season, again winnable at Ewood

Reading away - started well but faltering lately - also rumours about Clarke going to Fulham.

I think 12-13 points is certainly possible from this group of games, especially with the 'new manager bounce' that so often seems to occur.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an aside

The New Ewood Park was officially opened 20 years ago today with a 7-0 battering of Notts Forest. I remember that day well. 7 times the future wife got chucked around that day!!

See the video on the LET website

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/14037659.VIDEO__On_special_day_for_Jack_Walker__Blackburn_Rovers_produce_special_performance/?ref=mac

Looking at our next 6 fixtures, Lambert has every chance of hitting the ground running.

Sheff Wed home - in good form, but got a hammering off Charlton recently, so by all means a game we can win

Reading away - started well but faltering lately - also rumours about Clarke going to Fulham.

I think 12-13 points is certainly possible from this group of games, especially with the 'new manager bounce' that so often seems to occur.

It's a positive outlook but I think it's important that we manage immediate expectations. Lambert has inherited a side that has won 3 games all season. A change of leadership will bring a change in the way we go about our business on the park, but I think it will take time to get a run of results like you've proposed.

Without a doubt the excitement of a game on Saturday is back though :rover:

I expect 16 points from those games.

not expecting too much then eh Mercer? ;)

Win the first five and draw at Reading.

Thing is, they are all winnable.

Said many times, C'ship is all about organisation, belief, confidence and momentum.

We need to make a charge and a statement pdq.

With a new backroom bounce and renewed fervour amongst the fans, it's definitely on !

Win the first five and draw at Reading.

Thing is, they are all winnable.

Said many times, C'ship is all about organisation, belief, confidence and momentum.

We need to make a charge and a statement pdq.

With a new backroom bounce and renewed fervour amongst the fans, it's definitely on !

I agree Mercerman.

Think Big!!!

I agree with your point prediction here. The home games should be three points regardless of managerial activities. I think my mind is still reacting as if we still had Bowyer, which is saying that under the old regime, the Preston and Bristol Away games are the sort of fixture we were prone to rolling over and getting beat fairly easily.

Preston will be a very different game now. With a new manager and 5500 blues in the away end, I do think we will win the game. Any momentum picked up in the first two games could easily get us over the line at Bristol City aswell. I think the majority of that run of games depends on Saturday. If we win that game and beat Sheff Wednesday, we could be looking at 16 points! Fingers crossed!!!

(PS: If anybody is feeling brave enough, Lambert is 66/1 to win his first 5 games with SkyBet)

I expect 16 points from those games.

Its one thing wanting something, its another expecting it. When was the last time we won 5 on the bounce? I'd be fascinated to know, could be years, could be decades. Expecting what almost amounts to a miracle can be very counter-productive if fans are going to become negative when it doesn't happen.

2 points per game is always enough for automatic promotion in the Championship. But given the season we've had so far, I think 10 points from those 6 games would represent a very good return.

Just an aside

The New Ewood Park was officially opened 20 years ago today with a 7-0 battering of Notts Forest. I remember that day well. 7 times the future wife got chucked around that day!!

See the video on the LET website

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/14037659.VIDEO__On_special_day_for_Jack_Walker__Blackburn_Rovers_produce_special_performance/?ref=mac

Yeah, seven shots and they all went in.

Its one thing wanting something, its another expecting it. When was the last time we won 5 on the bounce? I'd be fascinated to know, could be years, could be decades. Expecting what almost amounts to a miracle can be very counter-productive if fans are going to become negative when it doesn't happen.

2 points per game is always enough for automatic promotion in the Championship. But given the season we've had so far, I think 10 points from those 6 games would represent a very good return.

Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.

10 points from 6 winnable games like these wont get us in the top six.

Don't know when we last won five on the bounce but we need lift off in a big way and we can do it.

I think we now have a manager who will aim for three points from every game.

I'm glad we are all so clear as to how to get promoted from this division. It's a pity for Ipswich no-one told them as they have been here 20 years.

I have a feeling we are in for a Souness-type reign: evaluate the team and their moral fibre, shift out the deadwood this season; improve the good ones and buy well for automatic promotion next season with a team capable of staying up.

You've got remember that there is very few goals in the team. Bar one player Rovers will be struggling to score goals !

You've got remember that there is very few goals in the team. Bar one player Rovers will be struggling to score goals !

This is where good managers come into their own.

Marshall, Conway, Lawrence should all be capable of 8 / season. Henley and Olsson should be chipping in with a couple each and Hanley and Duffy should score far more than they do given their aerial ability. Central midfield, even allowing for who we have, should be netting half a dozen between them per season. So that's 40 to go with Rhodes' 30.

I know it's easier said than done but much of it is about belief and confidence and the team being set-up and encouraged to get on the front foot. I am confident Lambert, Irvine and Kelly are going to deliver big time this season - positivity goes a long way.

• Moderation Lead

Marshall, Conway, Lawrence should all be capable of 8 / season. Henley and Olsson should be chipping in with a couple each and Hanley and Duffy should score far more than they do given their aerial ability. Central midfield, even allowing for who we have, should be netting half a dozen between them per season. So that's 40 to go with Rhodes' 30.

I know it's easier said than done but much of it is about belief and confidence. I am confident Lambert, Irvine and Kelly are going to deliver big time this season.

Duffy is good with defensive headers, but his attacking headers are massively lacking in power. Something he needs to work on at Brockhall.

I know it's easier said than done but much of it is about belief and confidence and the team being set-up and encouraged to get on the front foot. I am confident Lambert, Irvine and Kelly are going to deliver big time this season - positivity goes a long way.

Their team should become harder to beat but it's still relying heavily on quality additions to the team come January.

Agree with k-hod on Duffy's attacking heading ability.

(PS: If anybody is feeling brave enough, Lambert is 66/1 to win his first 5 games with SkyBet)

By no means impossible. Although I'm bound to put the kibosh on it if I put a cheeky fiver on.

The main problem as I see it with Lambert winning his first 6 on the bounce is that he will put himself firmly on the radar of any struggling Premiership Clubs looking to change their manager between Christmas and New Year!

By no means impossible. Although I'm bound to put the kibosh on it if I put a cheeky fiver on it.

The main problem as I see it with Lambert winning his first 6 on the bounce is that he will put himself firmly on the radar of any struggling Premiership Clubs looking to change their manager between Christmas and New Year!

I'll take winning first 6 games not bothered just yet about what that would lead to.

Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.

10 points from 6 winnable games like these wont get us in the top six.

Don't know when we last won five on the bounce but we need lift off in a big way and we can do it.

Well that was my point, you said expect. I agree in this league you should try to win every game, but 5 wins in a row is a tough ask. Just hope if it doesn't happen (which in all likelihood it won't), fans don't start getting on Lambert's back. This squad has spent 2 seasons getting gradually worse, it won't be easy to immediately reverse that. Rome wasn't built in a day and look at Steve Evans' start at Leeds as an example of how little one game means.

Well that was my point, you said expect. I agree in this league you should try to win every game, but 5 wins in a row is a tough ask. Just hope if it doesn't happen (which in all likelihood it won't), fans don't start getting on Lambert's back. This squad has spent 2 seasons getting gradually worse, it won't be easy to immediately reverse that. Rome wasn't built in a day and look at Steve Evans' start at Leeds as an example of how little one game means.

There's nothing wrong with either aiming to win PL's first 6 games in charge as Mercer suggests or your sensible take on it. I agree "expecting" is slightly too strong a turn of phrase but we need to get out of this mindset that draws are "good points" - especially at home.

"Expecting" a big improvement in performance immediately and an upturn in results is how I'd put it with the hope we can indeed put a Mercer like string of results together as that's what we'll likely need at some point to put us in genuine play off contention.

Duffy is good with defensive headers, but his attacking headers are massively lacking in power. Something he needs to work on at Brockhall.

Not just power, accuracy too! Even more so imo.

Think Duffy could make a decent captain at some point in the future as he's quite imposing, will throw himself in front of anything and a good talker, but definitely not yet. Need to improve his positioning and his decision making on whether to push up and nick the ball. He misjudges them too often and leaves us exposed.

Archived