BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are ways around FFP if you write off debt (as a loss to the loanees) as QPR have done to clear the debt.

Fulham also in a way (see the last sentance)

(from Wikipedia)

During his ownership of Fulham, Al-Fayed had provided Fulham F.C. with £187 million in interest free loans. In March 2011 Fulham posted annual losses of £16.9 million, Al-Fayed stated that he would continue to make "funds available to achieve our goals both on and off the pitch" and that the "continued success of Fulham and its eventual financial self-sustainability is my priority.". As of January 2013 Fulham were effectively debt free as Al-Fayed converted the loans into equity in the club

Is it too much to ask that Venky's will buy out some of the debt?

Consistency really is a massive bone of contention at Rovers. All our players at some time have played really well on an individual basis. The trouble is it's not been often enough. You could argue they've not been under the pressure required to produce top performances regularly. On the other hand you could argue the players we have are playing at our level because they've always lacked consistency throughout their careers.

We'll soon know the answer to this one I think.

• Backroom

Same stuff from Lambert on 5live, glad to be here, break did him good, and so on. Lawro then came on and praised his pal Shaw, saying that Shaw had "made them money" since we were relegated :huh: could have fooled me, Lawro.

Paul Lambert is an excellent appointment. One of the most interesting aspects is that it could never have been done if the Ewood Park backroom / boardroom was as dysfunctional as some posters would have us believe.

It’s been apparent for some time that the football side has been operating quite normally under Ian Silvester, and Mike Cheston arrived as a well respected FD and has just been getting on with the job without making any headlines.

Whilst Shaw and Myers might be the pantomime villains, and people constantly question what Gandhi Babu and Rob Coar bring to the party ... at the end of the day Paul Lambert could have taken his pick of QPR or Fulham. So are their executive structures / prospects / owners really any better than ours?

Even more pertinently, the other most obvious option for Lambert which hasn't really been discussed, was probably the easiest. He's had 9 months off, he could have kept his head down and made that 10, 11 or 12 months off. Keep doing the research in Europe and wait for the dream job.

But he didn’t – he chose to take on transfer embargoed basket case Blackburn Rovers – Venkys, Shaw, Myers and all. Perhaps this is his dream job!

I can’t believe he would have made that choice without first having made sure he can have full confidence in the structure which will sit behind him.

Perhaps some other major changes are imminent - but that seems unlikely given that Derek Shaw did all the interviews on behalf of the club today.

Somebody has somehow sold BRFC to Lambert well enough for any concerns about the executive structure, the reporting structure and the way the owners delegate to have been totally nullified.

• Backroom

I don't think anybody has ever questioned Gandhi Babu. The guy clearly bleeds blue and white.

The rest... well, probably not a big part of the selling process. Judging by Lambert's comments today he liked the fact we have fantastic training facilities and a team that with a few additions are very capable of being a force in this division. QPR have already said they aren't going to appoint a manager until December at the earliest, and Fulham are potentially going to be under embargo themselves come January, just as we will hopefully be getting out of it.

Other than that brief, insane era when Shebby Singh and Derek Shaw were ripping the club apart with internal fighting, Venky's have given both Kean and Bowyer plenty of time even when targets were missed, which must also appeal from a job security perspective. Not to mention he was allowed to bring in his own backroom team, and wouldn't have to answer to the likes of Les Ferdinand.

We were probably a much better option than people gave us credit for. We may not be perfect, but QPR and Fulham are far from that either.

Consistency really is a massive bone of contention at Rovers. All our players at some time have played really well on an individual basis. The trouble is it's not been often enough. You could argue they've not been under the pressure required to produce top performances regularly. On the other hand you could argue the players we have are playing at our level because they've always lacked consistency throughout their careers.

We'll soon know the answer to this one I think.

Yes.................remember these times?

King.......................absolutely unplayable

Rhodes..................scores when he wants

Spurr.....................the left back we've been looking for

Gestede................Beast!

Marshall................scoring crackers from outside the box

Conway................just the guy we've been looking for to put the ball on Rudi's head

Cairney.................the flair we've been looking for in midfield

Olsson..................where has this guy been hiding?

You make a good point; should the manager get more out of these guys or are they flawed characters?

I think back to the storming end to the 12-13 season.............great stuff, it made me super-optimistic for the new (13-14) season. But what a load of crap we delivered. It hurt a lot and I became convinced that GB did not know how to get the best out of his players.

Now it feels good again and I'm looking forward to Preston. I am confident that PL will get the best out of our current crop and maybe bring in some "characters" of his own.

Anyway, I thought some of you would like to read these old perspectives..............analysis of Paul's style of play at both Norwich and Villa:

http://www.thinkfootball.co.uk/norwichs-direct-style-of-play-is-paying-dividends/

http://www.thinkfootball.co.uk/where-did-it-all-go-wrong-for-paul-lambert-at-aston-villa/

Seen a few people make reference to the effort the side puts in changing, not sure if these comments been made by people who haven't been going but that's not been an issue. It's lack of quality.

I am on board with being positive but the embargo is not an excuse it's a realist factor that affects our team and every other team that's been under one. If you sell Rudy and replace with Koita you get worse.

We need to get out of it ASAP, not be positive about being in it.

• Backroom

Seen a few people make reference to the effort the side puts in changing, not sure if these comments been made by people who haven't been going but that's not been an issue. It's lack of quality.

I am on board with being positive but the embargo is not an excuse it's a realist factor that affects our team and every other team that's been under one. If you sell Rudy and replace with Koita you get worse.

We need to get out of it ASAP, not be positive about being in it.

He means be positive DESPITE being in it. We by no means have a bad squad, it's just a little thin in terms of quality in depth.

I imagine Mahoney, Tomlinson and Petschi's performances at reserve and u21 may get rerewarded with 1st team appearances. Depends how much PL can get out of everybody in our squad.

He means be positive DESPITE being in it. We by no means have a bad squad, it's just a little thin in terms of quality in depth.

I imagine Mahoney, Tomlinson and Petschi's performances at reserve and u21 may get rerewarded with 1st team appearances. Depends how much PL can get out of everybody in our squad.

Yeah i agree on the lack of depth and i imagine that will be addressed if we come out of embargo.

Lambert has played a master stroke here really, let's be honest he probably wouldn't be here now if he was told we would remain in the embargo, as many have discussed. So when he says it's not an excuse to use for being negative, it's probably something he will not have to worry about as he will have had the word we are coming out.

A very clever move from him, good bit of PR early doors for him.

Paul Lambert is an excellent appointment. One of the most interesting aspects is that it could never have been done if the Ewood Park backroom / boardroom was as dysfunctional as some posters would have us believe.

Its been apparent for some time that the football side has been operating quite normally under Ian Silvester, and Mike Cheston arrived as a well respected FD and has just been getting on with the job without making any headlines.

Whilst Shaw and Myers might be the pantomime villains, and people constantly question what Gandhi Babu and Rob Coar bring to the party ... at the end of the day Paul Lambert could have taken his pick of QPR or Fulham. So are their executive structures / prospects / owners really any better than ours?

Even more pertinently, the other most obvious option for Lambert which hasn't really been discussed, was probably the easiest. He's had 9 months off, he could have kept his head down and made that 10, 11 or 12 months off. Keep doing the research in Europe and wait for the dream job.

But he didnt he chose to take on transfer embargoed basket case Blackburn Rovers Venkys, Shaw, Myers and all. Perhaps this is his dream job!

I cant believe he would have made that choice without first having made sure he can have full confidence in the structure which will sit behind him.

Perhaps some other major changes are imminent - but that seems unlikely given that Derek Shaw did all the interviews on behalf of the club today.

Somebody has somehow sold BRFC to Lambert well enough for any concerns about the executive structure, the reporting structure and the way the owners delegate to have been totally nullified.

You always have to spoil everyone's fun, you pop up every month or so and ruin everyone's day with well throughout rational posts like this.

Can we ban him? Please? Anyone?

Yes.................remember these times?

King.......................absolutely unplayable

Rhodes..................scores when he wants

Spurr.....................the left back we've been looking for

Gestede................Beast!

Marshall................scoring crackers from outside the box

Conway................just the guy we've been looking for to put the ball on Rudi's head

Cairney.................the flair we've been looking for in midfield

Olsson..................where has this guy been hiding?

You make a good point; should the manager get more out of these guys or are they flawed characters?

I think back to the storming end to the 12-13 season.............great stuff, it made me super-optimistic for the new (13-14) season. But what a load of crap we delivered. It hurt a lot and I became convinced that GB did not know how to get the best out of his players.

Now it feels good again and I'm looking forward to Preston. I am confident that PL will get the best out of our current crop and maybe bring in some "characters" of his own.

Anyway, I thought some of you would like to read these old perspectives..............analysis of Paul's style of play at both Norwich and Villa:

http://www.thinkfootball.co.uk/norwichs-direct-style-of-play-is-paying-dividends/http://www.thinkfootball.co.uk/where-did-it-all-go-wrong-for-paul-lambert-at-aston-villa/

One or two more from the " blowing hot and then cold " squad - Evans, Henley, Hanley. All of these players have in some games looked the part and then looked like donkeys in the next.

It’s been apparent for some time that the football side has been operating quite normally under Ian Silvester, and Mike Cheston arrived as a well respected FD and has just been getting on with the job without making any headlines.

Whilst Shaw and Myers might be the pantomime villains, and people constantly question what Gandhi Babu and Rob Coar bring to the party ... at the end of the day Paul Lambert could have taken his pick of QPR or Fulham. So are their executive structures / prospects / owners really any better than ours?.

Very true ,hopefully club getting back to normal.

But he didn’t – he chose to take on transfer embargoed basket case Blackburn Rovers – Venkys, Shaw, Myers and all. Perhaps this is his dream job!

I can’t believe he would have made that choice without first having made sure he can have full confidence in the structure which will sit behind him.

Whilst Shaw and Myers might be the pantomime villains, and people constantly question what Gandhi Babu and Rob Coar bring to the party ... at the end of the day Paul Lambert could have taken his pick of QPR or Fulham. So are their executive structures / prospects / owners really any better than ours?.

Very true ,hopefully club getting back to normal.

Couldn't disagree more, the correct attitude and sense of urgency simply hasn't been there within the squad last season and this imo. Whilst coming out of embargo will help, I believe a decent manager can eke a significant improvement, even out of the existing set of players.

I guess we'll soon find out if I'm right.

Couldn't disagree more, the correct attitude and sense of urgency simply hasn't been there within the squad last season and this imo. Whilst coming out of embargo will help, I believe a decent manager can eke a significant improvement, even out of the existing set of players.

I guess we'll soon find out if I'm right.

We certainly will. I think the sense of urgency you mentioned could be linked to quality, better players, do better things quicker and more often.

Really looking forward to Preston now, honestly cannot remember a game i was this looking forward to in a number of years.

You always have to spoil everyone's fun, you pop up every month or so and ruin everyone's day with well throughout rational posts like this.

Can we ban him? Please? Anyone?

I was about to say the same when I saw Tris's post last night GAV. Excellent stuff from him as always.

Who does he think he is popping up from time to time spouting reason and common sense on here?

Archived