BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rhodes To Boro

Tom

But the recently departed (and also lamented) Gestede and Cairney don't get appraised after they have played. Rhodes certainly divides opinion but I just think we have to move on and look forward. After all the past has no future.

Very true, although Rhodes had a certain level of adulation at Rovers and I think people are very keen to see how he gets on at Boro.

Would make more sense to have a dedicated thread to Rovers old boys.

Surprised Cairney isn't being discussed more, some people panned him on here but he seems to be well in form recently.

I see people's points though, but I don't think it can be seen as hugely surprising that people are discussing him and how he's doing, especially given the years of debates people had over how he would get on should he join a 'better team'.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the point of talking about a player who wanted to leave, got his wish and is no longer here? Rhodes is part of the club's history not its future.

Exactly.

Most people seemed to have forget that he went public with his desire to leave Rovers this summer. He got his wish this January.

Plus I did say that he wasn't the type of striker to suit Lambert's style and tactics.

Cairney was awful at Ewood he was absolutely anonymous.

Even though he didn't influence the game, his touch and passing were as neat and tidy as ever and it sounds like he's influencing a lot of other games through goals and assists.

He's a lot better than anything we can muster up in CM, apart from Gomez but he's only on loan.

Exactly.

Most people seemed to have forget that he went public with his desire to leave Rovers this summer. He got his wish this January.

Plus I did say that he wasn't the type of striker to suit Lambert's style and tactics.

Freedom of speech! We can talk about what we like, don't open the thread if you don't care. I'm interested to see how he gets on and there is nothing wrong with that. I'm sure other people are too it's not all about scoring points with each other on who was right.

Exactly.

doesn't stop you talking about every player that's laced a pair of boots up does it?

You can't win an argument with Rhodes' detractors, when he scores we're told that it doesn't matter if we have a 20 goal a season striker and his style of play is holding the team back, and if he goes more than one game without scoring his scoring or otherwise then suddenly apparently becomes relevant and the fact he hasn't scored for two games etc is held up as evidence of his alleged deficiencies.

There's no real need to have anything other than a passing interest in his progress at Boro as with the likes of Cairney Gestede etc. but every Rovers fan should be wishing him and his new club well to the extent they go up and we get an extra 2m.

Unfortunately whether the players who have come in to replace him are adequate is likely to be a relevant topic of debate for some time to come.

Freedom of speech! We can talk about what we like, don't open the thread if you don't care. I'm interested to see how he gets on and there is nothing wrong with that. I'm sure other people are too it's not all about scoring points with each other on who was right.

Agreed. This is a 'Rhodes to Boro' thread, so of course people will discuss Rhodes here. It's much better than people hijacking other threads to discuss it in an attempt to point score.

You can't win an argument with Rhodes' detractors, when he scores we're told that it doesn't matter if we have a 20 goal a season striker and his style of play is holding the team back, and if he goes more than one game without scoring his scoring or otherwise then suddenly apparently becomes relevant and the fact he hasn't scored for two games etc is held up as evidence of his alleged deficiencies.

There's no real need to have anything other than a passing interest in his progress at Boro as with the likes of Cairney Gestede etc. but every Rovers fan should be wishing him and his new club well to the extent they go up and we get an extra 2m.

Unfortunately whether the players who have come in to replace him are adequate is likely to be a relevant topic of debate for some time to come.

The same could be said of the Rhodes defenders, hence its probably best left alone as this argument could go in circles ad infinitum

Bit of an oxymoron that sentence, good at everything and a natural footballer yet had 4 great chances and not scored, something not right there!

Graham and Rhodes have similar if not identical records since joining their new clubs..........................

I agree though that Rhodes watch has become very boring.

Which is still better than Browns

Nobody ever responded to my Steve Bull remarks (albeit it not quite same argument as Rhodes) so you can't win arguments when people don't debate it with you.

One more time copy/paste from the previous...

If anyone thinks one player makes a team they should probably look at former Wolves player Steve Bull. A superior player to Rhodes (I don't know what Bull's playing style was but he got an England call up in what is now league 1!!!) and yet Wolves didn't get promoted to the Premier League during his tenure. Now that almost certainly wasn't Bull's fault and they had strong financial backing from Hayward. In their case it was presumably down to managers PLUS other parts of their teams. The difference was they could afford to keep Bull (not that he wanted to leave)

Rovers need to do what Wolves couldn't do and build a promotion winning TEAM with less funds relative to this time period. In the best case scenario discover a cheap talent who might be better than Rhodes. Or at least more players who can share the goals between them. Presumably Lambert won't spend huge money on just one player but we need to see how much Venkys provide first.

You can't win an argument with Rhodes' detractors

You can't win with his adorers either. When he scores he's amazing, when he doesn't score it's because he didn't get any service.

Which is why we should just all stop this discussion now!

Archived