BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sat 6Th Rhodes Vs Rovers

chor808

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You really are struggling with this one, aren't you.

Rhodes needed attacking players to support his game and get the best out of him for the good of the team.

We bring in said players - mainly on loan. (At a cost of £9m for six months work apparently)

We score 3 goals against Oxford.

We sell Rhodes.

Lambert bemoans us missing chances to score four goals in the first half today.

Akpan misses a sitter to win it late on.

Everyone has to pretend that all is well, nay, we have actually proof that we have completely turned over a new leaf.

It's all well and good to say get over it, we all will eventually. But I'm not having it that we are better without him, based on the evidence of two games (one against L2 opposition) when Rhodes had zero games with those new players to be able to compare.

This will rumble on and on. Now it's poor Jordan did not get to play with our new players. Which, Watt and Gomez the others were here were they not. Anyway perhaps the best way to rate Mr Rhodes is not to try to speculate what might or might not have happened with him still here but to watch the impact he has on Middlesbrough and their fortunes.

Anyone would think Rhodes never ever missed a chance.

Yet I seem to recall we lost to Burnley for the first time in a thousand years after aforementioned striker hit the post when clean through.

I'm almost certain he missed a few chances after that at some stage. But perhaps it was just a bad dream I had?

We scored 3 last weekend and one Today.4 goals in two matches without Rhodes.

I'm sad that I need to point this out, but the 3 was against Oxford. League Two Oxford. One more time - that's League Two.

Point is we probably wouldn't have those new players in the team without selling Rhodes. A case of 'the chicken and the egg'?

Which way it goes eventually remains to be seen but what is clear is with Rhodes in the team we've hardly covered ourselves with glory this season but now with him gone, all of a sudden, we've put in our two best team performances.

We got them all except Gomez before he left (and Gomez was already in the building). So...

Anyone would think Rhodes never ever missed a chance.

Yet I seem to recall we lost to Burnley for the first time in a thousand years after aforementioned striker hit the post when clean through.

I'm almost certain he missed a few chances after that at some stage. But perhaps it was just a bad dream I had?

He missed quite a few easy ones this season.

Where did I say we spent all of it? I didn't say it because I don't think we have. But fact that we had Gomez waiting around until the Rhodes deal went through shows you that we couldn't afford him without moving Rhodes first.

The fact the Gomez deal was completed later than the Rhodes deal (but we'd been chasing someone in his position all window and already driven the bugger down, negating his chances of getting a deal anywhere else...so presumably quite advanced) does not make it a fact that we 'had Gomez waiting around until the Rhodes deal went through', nor does it show the one was dependent upon the other. All the noises Lambert has made strongly indicate the opposite in fact.

I'm sad that I need to point this out, but the 3 was against Oxford. League Two Oxford. One more time - that's League Two.

We got them all except Gomez before he left (and Gomez was already in the building). So...

So.. Perhaps their loan fees had been paid for by Olsson, Petshi and Koita leaving and their perm fees budgeted for in the Summer at the same time Rhodes' fee comes in. Maybe they were signed as loans with a view, in case Rhodes' move didn't go through. Or they were signed as loans with a view so the fee comes out in Summer when FFP rules change and Rhodes was never part of the calculation. We don't know. But the facts are Rhodes has been looking for a way out for 18 months, PL ( our only proper manager for 5 years), was willing to sacrifice him for the greater good, and our decent performances over the last 2 games (one a team in excellent form in their respective league and just knocked out PL Swansea, the other 2nd in the Championship, just signed the supposed best striker in the division and favourites for the league), show it might not be the world ending, relegation sealing decision others would have us believe. 23 other teams in the division, every season, didn't have Rhodes and 20 of them either got promoted or stayed up without him.

I'm sad that I need to point this out, but the 3 was against Oxford. League Two Oxford. One more time - that

My post was in response to someone saying we need someone who scores goals.I know it was Oxford,the same Oxford who knocked a premier league team out in the last round,the same Oxford who all the bookies had as favourites

How did the fans react to JR? Any boos? Hope not. And how did Lenihan play? Pl seems to rate him. If he's playing well, we should surely offer him a new contract? considering his contract runs out in the summer.

Couldn't hear any boos at all through Rovers Player. Rhodes applauded Rovers fans afterwards. Lenihan passed to Gomez for the goal and there's surely no doubt PL would offer him a new contract.

Rovers supporters over the zillions of years I have watched,agonised and loved my team, have always wanted a team that works hard and plays with a bit of flair and passion.

It was clear to me that even if 'desperate' Murphy and Etuhu had worked out(and the opposite happened) we were playing a weird kind of football that depended on the Centre-forward. All the good teams(and successful ones)have always had various options. Ours has seen to depend on just 3 : Rhodes scoring from 5 yards, corners and Marshall free-kicks. Only when Lawrence played well have we had an outfield option.

So now we have as many as 6 options(if we can get Graham scoring) AND the style,all round effort and confidence is coming back. We may not win against Hull(although we like to beat Bruce don't we!)but the team balance,imagination and skill level has risen by at least 30%.

Its a project under construction(and not going to get in the play-offs) but a more exciting prospect than 2 weeks ago.

How did the fans react to JR? Any boos? Hope not. And how did Lenihan play? Pl seems to rate him. If he's playing well, we should surely offer him a new contract? considering his contract runs out in the summer.

As soon as we scored there was a huge chanting to the effect that he should have stayed at Rovers ( good natured). When he came on he got a marvellous reception with ' he scores when he wants' which I was really pleased about as he is a player I admired very much when he fired on all cylinders. There's the rub however; I think he has wanted away for a while and his performances have clearly dropped off accordingly. It is difficult for me to compute this because I respect Rhodes but I suppose there are fine margins at the top level of sport and a drop of, say five per cent, in attitude can be quite perceptible. I posted a few days ago that I suspected quite a number of the team felt he was a hindrance and possibly weren't as willing to put things on a plate for him. This seems to be evidenced by another poster last night saying the players in general are happy to see him go.

Lenihan is a talented Jason Lowe!! He could develop into a good 'un

So now we have as many as 6 options(if we can get Graham scoring) AND the style,all round effort and confidence is coming back. We may not win against Hull(although we like to beat Bruce don't we!)but the team balance,imagination and skill level has risen by at least 30%.

Its a project under construction(and not going to get in the play-offs) but a more exciting prospect than 2 weeks ago.

Absolutely. Did change my mind about writing the Hull preview though as it may have been too heavily focused on Bruce (and not in very complimentary terms) for some members.

Evans had an excellent first 60 minutes at the base of midfield, a little like Batty used to play by breaking things up and keeping it simple...Graham led the line more effectively than Rhodes would have done.

Great to hear about Evans and Graham. Going off the commentary Evans sounded like he was busy and putting himself about. I didn't hear much mention of Graham at all though. What's his playing style? I was expecting an 'in yer face' type of forward given PL's comments about wanting a 'streetwise' forward.

I'm surprised people are moaning about Akpan. The fact that he was in a position to score(he should have scored), but he at least got into those positions which is a good thing. Some of his defending seemed a bit off, but as long as our players are in those good positions to score, then all bodes well for the rest of the season and next.

That was a great point in my opinion. Who was the player who got in behind their back four and slipped the ball just past the post in the first half ? Great run and very unlucky there. Akpan's got to carry the can for those two crosses that came in. Very lazy pressing of the ball there. Give good players that amount of time to cross the ball and you're asking for trouble.

Onwards and upwards. We seem to have the defending side of the game sorted out for the first time in a long while. We just need to get the scoring side sorted out. Good to see a midfielder scoring from distance, when did that last happen ?

I think Lambert can work on Akpan, and get him to play a similar game to Yaya Toure. What I mean is that Toure was allowed to push up, get into position in the final 3rd and cause problems. Toure I don't think was great at defending aerial balls, and in fact it was never his job anyway

Our CB pairing need to work out who picks up who. Arial balls and set pieces have always been an issue, so to blame Akpan when our CB pairing couldn't deal with them properly either is a concern.

Nice to hear the opposition manager saying that we played with a higher intensity than they did. Maybe things really are going to change for the better. Let's start rolling at home, now.

Nice to hear the opposition manager saying that we played with a higher intensity than they did. Maybe things really are going to change for the better. Let's start rolling at home, now.

Agreed. We've been a soft touch at home for far, far too long. Starting from next weekend we need to make it a difficult place for team's to prize any points away from.

just watched the 10 mins highlights on Rovers Player.

Very impressed by Gomez. so clever and skilful on the ball.

Watt has a talent and hopefully one that will develop at Rovers long term if we sign him.

Also we keep pressing the ball more and further up the field than I see us do previously.

That was a great point in my opinion. Who was the player who got in behind their back four and slipped the ball just past the post in the first half ? Great run and very unlucky there. Akpan's got to carry the can for those two crosses that came in. Very lazy pressing of the ball there. Give good players that amount of time to cross the ball and you're asking for trouble.

Onwards and upwards. We seem to have the defending side of the game sorted out for the first time in a long while. We just need to get the scoring side sorted out. Good to see a midfielder scoring from distance, when did that last happen ?

A great point and a very good performance which is more pleasing.

Watt almost scored with that chance.

Re - Akpan getting caned about the crosses, where was the fullback, I'm sure that is still his main job.

Midfielder from distance, I'd have to say Tugay.

Archived