BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sat 6Th Rhodes Vs Rovers

chor808

Very well put. There is however a more important long term concern that our star asset has departed for 9m and been replaced by a couple of guys on loan with absolutely no guarantee that a penny of the proceeds will actually be reinvested back into the team. All things being equal we'll be left with Jackson on the books when everyone's loan period and/or contract expires.

I'd say it'd be a qualified success if we equal the poor points ratio achieved whilst we had he who must not be named and scrape up with 9m in the bank.

However it's what happens to that 9m and what we do after that that counts.

Got to add Rev, that I think anyone thinking that the £9m might be spent in transfer fees will be disappointed. The usual scenario is that part of any received fees are put towards offsetting club running costs and anything given to the manager would also have to go towards wages. I wouldn't be surprised if Lambert was only allowed around three/four millions of that money up front.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having been today, I can say with confidence that we look a totally different proposition. Quick on the break, balls to feet, lots of energy, high tempo and lots of commitment.

Evans had an excellent first 60 minutes at the base of midfield, a little like Batty used to play by breaking things up and keeping it simple. Watt is class but unfit, Graham led the line more effectively than Rhodes would have done and Akpan found himself a little further left than he would have chosen but battled hard. I think he has been criticised a little harshly on here today. I haven't seen the goals back but I was shouting for Spurr to back Akpan up on the cross leading to their goal; I thought Tommy was out of position.

Hanley was excellent and Ward tidy. We developed a worrying habit in the first half of messing about across the back line instead of clearing the ball which nearly cost us a few times. That was sorted out after half time.

Gomez was terrific to watch. Clearly the most gifted player out there and the one player I heard the Boro fans talking about after the game. I wouldn't have subbed him and would have expected him to be in Akpan's position for the late miss as Akpan was moved inside after he went off.

All in all, our most exciting and promising performance for ages!

Very well put. There is however a more important long term concern that our star asset has departed for 9m and been replaced by a couple of guys on loan with absolutely no guarantee that a penny of the proceeds will actually be reinvested back into the team. All things being equal we'll be left with Jackson on the books when everyone's loan period and/or contract expires.

I'd say it'd be a qualified success if we equal the poor points ratio achieved whilst we had he who must not be named and scrape up with 9m in the bank.

However it's what happens to that 9m and what we do after that that counts.

A transfer for watt has already been agreed

Having been today, I can say with confidence that we look a totally different proposition. Quick on the break, balls to feet, lots of energy, high tempo and lots of commitment.

Evans had an excellent first 60 minutes at the base of midfield, a little like Batty used to play by breaking things up and keeping it simple. Watt is class but unfit, Graham led the line more effectively than Rhodes would have done and Akpan found himself a little further left than he would have chosen but battled hard. I think he has been criticised a little harshly on here today. I haven't seen the goals back but I was shouting for Spurr to back Akpan up on the cross leading to their goal; I thought Tommy was out of position.

Hanley was excellent and Ward tidy. We developed a worrying habit in the first half of messing about across the back line instead of clearing the ball which nearly cost us a few times. That was sorted out after half time.

Gomez was terrific to watch. Clearly the most gifted player out there and the one player I heard the Boro fans talking about after the game. I wouldn't have subbed him and would have expected him to be in Akpan's position for the late miss as Akpan was moved inside after he went off.

Well done for making the effort to go, and thanks for shining a ray of light on things. Nice to read such a positive review of a Rovers performance for a change.

You really are struggling with this one, aren't you.

Rhodes needed attacking players to support his game and get the best out of him for the good of the team.

We bring in said players - mainly on loan. (At a cost of £9m for six months work apparently)

We score 3 goals against Oxford.

We sell Rhodes.

Lambert bemoans us missing chances to score four goals in the first half today.

Akpan misses a sitter to win it late on.

Everyone has to pretend that all is well, nay, we have actually proof that we have completely turned over a new leaf.

It's all well and good to say get over it, we all will eventually. But I'm not having it that we are better without him, based on the evidence of two games (one against L2 opposition) when Rhodes had zero games with those new players to be able to compare.

The team is literally changing in front of our own eyes now. We are not bragging about Rhodes going we are excited about getting a better team.

Spoke to someone who works at Brockhall and all of the players will miss Rhodes as a lad but some of them are not devastated he has gone. They knew his limitations.

Excellent - finally someone has actually been to the game an made a considered judgement rather than regurgitating preconceived prejudices !!

A very satisfactory performance and result. Let's be honest, I think we would all have taken a draw at 3-00 this afternoon. We should also be aware that this was the first game after the window closed less than one week ago and a significant percentage of that squad have been together for less than 2 weeks. The money received and the wages released from the Rhodes deal is massive and could have helped Lambert bring in other players all be it on loan (wages still need to be paid) but the deal was completed with 3 hours of the window remaining, so too late. He did well to get Gomes in, in that time frame. In my opinion of course.

I believe Lambert is a good manager but he is not god so we need to give him some time. The future looks positive!

Yep, the armagedon predicted on here prior to the game didn't happen, Boro apparently the best team in the league nailed on certs for promotion best striker in the league ?(didn't score as peredicted) we very nearly took all 3 points and Boro know they have been in a game for sure

Really enthused after the last two games. Lambert deserves great credit for setting the team up with a system that really suited the players. Middlesbrough really struggled to get any momentum as we closed them down in all areas and generally speaking we were comfortable. I don't think I have seen us win so many second balls in ages and this can be attributed to the shape and playing higher up the pitch. Darragh Lenihan had five attempts at goal today (four shots and a header). All were wide but the simple fact that we had somebody there to take the shot on was pleasing to me. However the most important aspect to me was that we looked like a team again, well organised and set up well. A special mention to Tommy Spurrq though from me. A few weeks ago I would have been chuffed to get shut of him. He has been terrific in the last three games.

Thanks, I think that's the first report from someone who was at the game. We needed a couple of performances to calm the nerves after Lamberts first few games. The talk was good, but now, maybe, the performances could back it up.

Yep, the armagedon predicted on here prior to the game didn't happen, Boro apparently the best team in the league nailed on certs for promotion best striker in the league ?(didn't score as peredicted) we very nearly took all 3 points and Boro know they have been in a game for sure

Apologies if I'm misjudging your post yoda. But boro are about the best side in the division and I hope it's not a fact wasted on our players. It shouldn't be down played. We went away from home and by all accounts can consider ourselves unfortunate to not take all 3 points. I hope the penny has finally dropped that we can mix it with the good and the great of the league if we apply ourselves correctly.

I also think it's fair to say Lambert can be judged to a degree from here on in. A new shape and a new side of his making. And a good start too.

I don't want to get carried away as a contented Saturday has been a rare event. But things seem to suggest we might have one or two more than we've been used to.

Very impressed with today's performance. Ward is a future captain in waiting. He is constantly talking to and positioning his fellow defenders. One word to sum up our midfield ... tenacious! Nice touch from JR clapping the Rovers fans at the end of the game.

Apologies if I'm misjudging your post yoda. But boro are about the best side in the division and I hope it's not a fact wasted on our players. It shouldn't be down played. We went away from home and by all accounts can consider ourselves unfortunate to not take all 3 points. I hope the penny has finally dropped that we can mix it with the good and the great of the league if we apply ourselves correctly.

I also think it's fair to say Lambert can be judged to a degree from here on in. A new shape and a new side of his making. And a good start too.

I don't want to get carried away as a contented Saturday has been a rare event. But things seem to suggest we might have one or two more than we've been used to.

No, I think we are on the same wavelength, if Boro are the best in the league we are on the upward curve again, we gave them a scare today, good on the team and PL

Another really encouraging performance today with Lambert getting his tactics spot on. Once again, the long punt upfield seems to have been abandoned for a more constructive style and at times we played some really good stuff. Gomez looked a class act in midfield as did Ward in the centre of defence. Ward's reading of the game is excellent whilst Gomez continually used the ball with intelligence in feeding Watt and Graham. What a difference it makes having a player like Graham at the centre of attack as he makes the ball stick and is able to hold it up and feed the midfield which was far more mobile than previously. The midfield three of Lenihan, Evans and Akpan got through a tremendous amount of work and were getting forward at every opportunity. Perhaps Akpan, who tired in the last 20 minutes, might have been replaced at that point in favour of Conway but that apart our midfield was much improved. Totally agree with arbitro about Spurr. I too would have happily waved him goodbye but now he seems a different player. Clearly we are still a work in progress but finally one can see a definite shift in the style of play and now we look a real team again.

Another really encouraging performance today with Lambert getting his tactics spot on. Once again, the long punt upfield seems to have been abandoned for a more constructive style and at times we played some really good stuff. Gomez looked a class act in midfield as did Ward in the centre of defence. Ward's reading of the game is excellent whilst Gomez continually used the ball with intelligence in feeding Watt and Graham. What a difference it makes having a player like Graham at the centre of attack as he makes the ball stick and is able to hold it up and feed the midfield which was far more mobile than previously. The midfield three of Lenihan, Evans and Akpan got through a tremendous amount of work and were getting forward at every opportunity. Perhaps Akpan, who tired in the last 20 minutes, might have been replaced at that point in favour of Conway but that apart our midfield was much improved. Totally agree with arbitro about Spurr. I too would have happily waved him goodbye but now he seems a different player. Clearly we are still a work in progress but finally one can see a definite shift in the style of play and now we look a real team again.

Thanks Parson. I for one have missed your match reports, and I'm really encouraged that the likes of you and arbitro (and others) are seeing an upturn in style and performance.

You really are struggling with this one, aren't you.

Rhodes needed attacking players to support his game and get the best out of him for the good of the team.

We bring in said players - mainly on loan. (At a cost of £9m for six months work apparently)

We score 3 goals against Oxford.

We sell Rhodes.

Lambert bemoans us missing chances to score four goals in the first half today.

Akpan misses a sitter to win it late on.

Everyone has to pretend that all is well, nay, we have actually proof that we have completely turned over a new leaf.

It's all well and good to say get over it, we all will eventually. But I'm not having it that we are better without him, based on the evidence of two games (one against L2 opposition) when Rhodes had zero games with those new players to be able to compare.

We were never going to have "completely turned over a new leaf" in one League game. All most fans ask for is that we improve, incrementally maybe.

And that's what seems to be happening.

We were never going to have "completely turned over a new leaf" in one League game. All most fans ask for is that we improve, incrementally maybe.

And that's what seems to be happening.

This is one of the problems with messageboards. The post by MM that originally started this line was nothing like what you are suggesting. I'm very much on board with the incremental improvement. However that does rely on Lambert being able to spend. Lambert is the only reason for any optimism right now. Everyone here believes he has a plan.

This is one of the problems with messageboards. The post by MM that originally started this line was nothing like what you are suggesting. I'm very much on board with the incremental improvement. However that does rely on Lambert being able to spend. Lambert is the only reason for any optimism right now. Everyone here believes he has a plan.

Life as a football fan is much easier if you can trust the manager and let him get on with it. Its been a while but, for me, we are back in that position.

Avoid relegation, beat Burnley, keep the Cup run going as long as poss, all that deadwood out of contract at the end of the season----its looking up for us Rovers fans!

One of the few games I see living in the North East but it was a really good performance. The player who really impressed me was Corey Evans. Nobody had a bad game and if we can maintain this level the future looks bright. All my boro mates thought we should have won it. I have to say I was disappointed to give the goal away. Poor defending by Akpan whop otherwise did some good things. I thought we were hanging on a bit at the end.

Excellent review. Summed up my thoughts certainly the focus on Evans who was superb. I'm very encouraged by today. The fans were superb. disappointed we didn't win.

Very pleasing result, just a shame we didn't get all 3 points after what sounded like a very good performance.

Had a feeling Gomez would score, he has the ability to score some great goals and can pick a pass.

Got the impression that Lenihan had a good game, can anyone at the game confirm that? Also how did Watt and Graham get on?

all excellent. A good all round performance.

Sounds like a good match.. not even seen the highlights yet :( But it does sound like we have a decent core down the middle, hopefully Graham and Watt will start to gel and start knocking them in.

I see Stuart is on one of his rants about Rhodes, just don't get it, we have scored as many goals in our last two matches as Rhodes did in his last 17 games at Rovers, he just did not fit the system or style of play PL wanted, in an ideal world without FFP we would have picked up Gomez and co without having to sacrifice Rhodes but it is not an ideal world. I don't know about anyone else but I prefer watching players like Watt, Jackson, Ward and Gomez (who may be the next Rovers Legend at this rate) to any of the lineups built to cater for Rhodes.

Archived