BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sat 6Th Rhodes Vs Rovers

chor808

• Backroom

Re - Akpan getting caned about the crosses, where was the fullback, I'm sure that is still his main job.

We don't have any decent ones, so who knows. Could do with at least one in the loan window. Teams have been ripping us apart down the flanks all season.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to hear about Evans and Graham. Going off the commentary Evans sounded like he was busy and putting himself about. I didn't hear much mention of Graham at all though. What's his playing style? I was expecting an 'in yer face' type of forward given PL's comments about wanting a 'streetwise' forward.

He didn't do anything to particularly stand out but in general he was competent and more mobile than Rhodes. He finished the disallowed goal nicely and linked up with Watt and Gomez as well as could be expected with the scant time they have worked together.

More to come from him I'm sure!

A great point and a very good performance which is more pleasing.

Watt almost scored with that chance.

Re - Akpan getting caned about the crosses, where was the fullback, I'm sure that is still his main job.

Midfielder from distance, I'd have to say Tugay.

Akpan was nearest to the crosser, he should have done better on each occasion. Each player has to take responsibility in those situations.

Someone posed the question regarding the high number of bookings per fouls.

Three bookings were for cynical tackles around the halfway line that stopped quick Boro breaks. No messing about, Boro players well and truly clattered.

This I liked. Wound the Boro players and fans up no end.

We've not had a nasty steak since Hughes 'bully boys' days.

Someone posed the question regarding the high number of bookings per fouls.

Three bookings were for cynical tackles around the halfway line that stopped quick Boro breaks. No messing about, Boro players well and truly clattered.

This I liked. Wound the Boro players and fans up no end.

We've not had a nasty steak since Hughes 'bully boys' days.

I agree there. Until recently we were easy to play against soft lads. No where near physically and mentally aggressive enough. This seems to be changing now. I don't want a team of kickers but you need guys who'll put a foot in when needed.

He didn't do anything to particularly stand out but in general he was competent and more mobile than Rhodes. He finished the disallowed goal nicely and linked up with Watt and Gomez as well as could be expected with the scant time they have worked together.

More to come from him I'm sure!

Wasn't it Ward who had the goal disallowed?

Yesterday did herald something of a new era, star striker gone and Lambert's additions making up a sizeable part of the squad (4 of his signings started, another 2 used from the bench). Looking back at the starting line-up for the opening day defeat against Wolves I noticed only two of the players that started that game (Hanley & Marshall) made the starting line-up for this one. Although this may be slightly misleading it does clearly emphasise the turn over of players and change of direction there has been at the club in a short space of time.

The line-up and formation was very bold, attacking and brave away from home against what is widely considered the best team in The Championship. It was a 4-3-1-2 formation with Lenihan, Evans, Akpan asked to cover a lot of ground in a tight midfield three. Many wondered pre-game how Gomez would be used in the team, he was given a lot of freedom in a role just tucked behind two strikers and was evidently told not to worry too much about defending but just keep high-up the pitch. The result was the best team performance I've witnessed under Lambert. We made a Middlesbrough renowned for their solid defense look very shaky. Watt was a live wire upfront and was involved in a lot of the good play we produced, it was refreshing to see us have a player in the line-up who is capable of running and dribbling at players, something we've been lacking this season. Combine that with the composed Gomez in midfield, a player capable of keeping calm and picking out a pass. We suddenly look like a team capable of carrying a constant attacking threat.

When we took the lead it was well deserved. Only after they fell behind did Boro seem to come alive. The influential Watt was subbed and suddenly we was on the back foot in a game we looked comfortable in. The equaliser came and then I worried a little that we may go onto lose with Boro pressing for a winner. Especially with new boy Jason Rhodes on the pitch (yes the stadium announcer managed to get their new multi-million pound signings name wrong much to the amusement of the travelling Rovers fan). But that being said the best chance to win the game landed at the feet of Akpan, who had a very poor game in general, and he fluffed the chance. I still think Akpan has been decent for us this season but he was mostly hopeless yesterday and his defending for the cross that lead to the equaliser was abysmal. One small excuse for him could be that he was playing in an unfamiliar position in the left of a midfield three. In contrast I thought Evans was terrific in the centre of the three, dropping deep to pick up the ball and start off moves with neat passing as well as still being part of the high tempo system and managing to win a good number of interceptions high up the pitch. Lenihan operated on the right of the three and he had a good game as well. Okay he's not got that greatest technical ability but he's got great commitment and work-rate, some of his strides forward from midfield and his style of play yesterday reminded me of what Phil Jones use to do in his time at Rovers.

At the back we still look fairly solid. Ward was impressive, and looks an improvement on Duffy in the sense that he's a much more suited composed, partner for Hanley at the back. Overall plenty of positives to take from the game, if we can maintain that level of performance we should start to pull away from the relegation zone.

Had a couple of friends who went,i'm regretting declining the chance to go.

I paraphrase :

They picked out Gomez,Evans and Lenihan for special praise.

Watt never stops, and Graham proved a pivotal target man.

Shouldve won. Never looked like conceding.

Most encouraging performance in ages.

I'm certainly looking forward to our multitude of home matches in the coming weeks.

After that performance, There'll hopefully be more people willing to give Lambert more time and the benefit of doubt.

The criticism he's been getting for someone else's team has been harsh. Its by no means job done, but the path to progress has been laid.

After that performance, There'll hopefully be more people willing to give Lambert more time and the benefit of doubt.

The criticism he's been getting for someone else's team has been harsh. Its by no means job done, but the path to progress has been laid.

Excellent post, PL is turning us around,

I think the MB mods should introduce dope testing

:D

Gomez "player watch" against Boro.

First Half

1 Spurr clears the ball along the sideline to Gomez but he is muscled off the ball.

2 Attempts a tackle but the ball richochets to a Boro man.

3 Receives a throw but his return to Spurr is short and we settle for another throw.

5 Collects a clearance on his chest and tries to thread a ball through defenders and into the box but it’s not accurate enough.

6 Some interplay in our own half but he receives a short ball and a strong Boro challenge robs him.

8 Helping out in our penalty box, passes to Spurr who has to rush to pass to Steele. All a bit panicky!

9 Another short Spurr throw where he receives the ball but it’s too crowded and his attempted pass is blocked.

11 A couple of assured passes in midfield.

14 Falls over under challenge in midfield but still manages to poke the ball to Lenighan who blasts in a very decent shot from 30 yards. Goalie saves.

16 Fouled about 35 yards out. He takes it and plays a fantastic ball into the box, behind the entire defence and Ward slots home – but offside.

19 Receives a clearance just outside their box and tries to loop it back but defender clears. He gets it back and lobs a perfect ball into the box for Watt who runs on and slides the ball just past the right post. Should have been a goal! Great skill from Gomez.

24 Boro player clatters him as he goes up for a long ball just over halfway. He delivers the freekick beautifully on to Ward’s head who nods back across the box but there are too many defenders and the danger is cleared.

Just to mention here that he has put in a couple of Tugayesque challenges so far. The ones where he threatens to tackle but never actually does!

26 Again looping the ball back from a Boro clearance and again it is on the money and we get a corner from the aerial challenge. He takes it but it is over-hit and wasted.

28 Feeds a nice pass to Akpan who sends Watt haring towards goal. Watt plays the ball along the edge of the penalty box where Gomez has arrived but his on-target shot is deflected behind for a corner. He takes it but it is too low and short and is cleared.

29 Another pretend tackle.

30 Now confidently directing the action in midfield with neat passes.

38 Looking assured now as he passes confidently in midfield.

39 Loses challenge in midfield.

44 Wins challenge in midfield.

45+1 Receives ball on his chest going forward and neatly avoids defender. Runs to the box and attempts a shot from 25 yards but well off-target.

Second Half

45 Receives midway in Boro half and neatly avoids defender and strokes the ball to Akpan on the wing. Another good attack initiated resulting in a corner. He takes it but it is a poor, low ball that doesn’t reach the near post.

47 Receives on the wing and puts in another dangerous cross which is cleared for a corner. He takes it but this time it’s too high.

49 Puts in a clearing header at the edge of our box.

50 Neat chipped return to a throw in allows Spurr to put in another good cross. Lenighan gets a shot in.

51 Challenges Downing and ball goes out for a Boro corner.

51 Heads on Marshall’s throw under challenge.

53 Great work by Watt sets up a chance from the edge of the box but Gomez’s powerful shot is blocked. Good stuff.

56 Takes a much better corner this time but Boro clear.

56 Heads on to Lenighan 40 yards out but Lenighan is clattered and it’s a foul.

58 Late, uncharacteristically hard tackle. Foul.

59 Determined skirmish on midway allows Gomes to free Akpan and another decent attack follows.

61 More good interplay involving Gomez leads to a shot from Lenighan which is deflected for a corner. He takes it but it is cleared.

62 Commits a foul on halfway.

68 Another late challenge on midway.

69 Challenges on the edge of our box and slows the attack. Then misjudges a bouncing ball as he attempts to head and this leads to a very dangerous Boro attack.

71 Frantic action around the Boro box and Lenighan lays it off to Gomez just outside the box. He takes a touch then hits it low and to the right. Debut goal!

73 Another late tackle and this time he’s booked.

77 Neat lay-off.

80 Neat pass to Jackson but he is bundled off the ball.

82 Subbed!

I've also posted this in the Gomez thread. Hope that's ok.

Watched the game last night on Rovers player.

Really enjoyable game to watch, so close to a win.

I don't think Boro had a shot until over 30 minutes played. Lambert's tactics were brave and exciting and worked well. Gomez is THE key player for us now, I reckon if he plays well the team will from now on. He needs to learn a few players strengths as he played passes to players (Akpan) in very tight situations that were a little difficult for them. He is a class above on the ball.

The 3 mids all worked really hard and Evans was the pick of the bunch, he's got to make sure he keeps standard up as I think he's been inconsistent. Lenihan was good on the right side, not amazing but good tackles, lots energy, decent with the ball. Akpan worked really hard, did some very good things, his touch let him down quite often (I'd have him working on it for an hour every day after training plus a some passing practice) but his overall contribution was positive, despite being poor for the goal. It's a difficult position especially on the left side but he covered a lot of ground getting forward and back, especially helping Spurr out.

Back four were generally solid, Ward looking better and better.

Watt played well again, worked hard, odd bit of skill and a little bit of tenacity. He was unlucky not to score his chance (I remember JR missing a similar one earlier in the season so can't judge him harshly for it).

Graham didn't look that good to me but he battled hard.

Jackson might not have a great deal of quality but in this game he was a good hard working sub and almost got a pen/ sneaked in around the back of Kalas I think.

All in all the team now looks a lot more suited to playing the style that Lambert wants us to and I think anyone who saw the game would find it difficult not to be very optimistic. There are fine margins between success and failure in this league and not a great deal of difference between any of the teams. All of Lambert's games (wins and losses) have been close and could have gone either way but this one we really looked liked we were playing to a plan and it worked.

JR is a great goalscorer and I hope he proves his doubters wrong (as long as it's not at our expense) I think he will do well for Boro, what Karanka was doing putting Sola and Stuani on ahead of him I don't know... Boro have got a lot of very good players and if the don't go up Karanka will have really messed up.

This should jog some more recent memories than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsJAzB6syN8

And I don't know how I've never heard this song...

That Cairney bloke was awful wasn't he. And that number 11... gash.

Some great goals in there. Seems an awful long time since we saw goals that good at Ewood though. Certainly not this season.

That Cairney bloke was awful wasn't he. And that number 11... gash.

Some great goals in there. Seems an awful long time since we saw goals that good at Ewood though. Certainly not this season.

Yeh this season there's been an absolute dearth. Trying to think...is there only Marshall's free kick against Oxford and the Gomez strike this season, that have gone in from outside the box?

Yeh this season there's been an absolute dearth. Trying to think...is there only Marshall's free kick against Oxford and the Gomez strike this season, that have gone in from outside the box?

Neither of which were at Ewood. As a season ticket holder who can't get to away games, it's been a slog for a good while now. Doesn't feel like we've had to many Lambert home games yet. Three? Here's hoping that Gomez and Watt can Bring It On and light the place up, otherwise it might be down to Graham & Brown to paper over the cracks. ^_^

• Backroom

Neither of which were at Ewood. As a season ticket holder who can't get to away games, it's been a slog for a good while now. Doesn't feel like we've had to many Lambert home games yet. Three? Here's hoping that Gomez and Watt can Bring It On and light the place up, otherwise it might be down to Graham & Brown to paper over the cracks. ^_^

Last great goal I remember at Ewood was that cross-come-goal from the left wing towards the DE. I forget the Oppo or who scored. Before that it's Conway's belted vs Rotherham.

Archived