BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Ham United - Fa Cup 5Th Round

I didn't think supporting a team was necessarily about the quality of the players - ask all those City fans that stuck through thick and thin prior to them getting to the promised land.

Their result today should help the knee jerkers to put things into perspective,

but it won't.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we all missing the obvious here? I don't normally subscribe to conspiracy theories at all (far from it) but what would be the best way of bringing to the owners' attention the fact that we seriously need some investment in the summer? Something that the manager has spoken about a few times this week.

By showing them, in a match beamed worldwide (including India), how poor we are in relation to a decent premier league outfit. The tinkering with the team ensuring that the opportunity to emphasis the gulf and need for investment was not missed.

Yours

JAL

Interesting theory. A bit risky from PLs point of view, given Venkys trigger finger.

But it's not so far fetched as it should be

People are very blinkered about Rhodes. His only attribute is scoring goals. Much of the criticism in this thread can be said of Rhodes, it was often like playing with ten when he was in the side. Football is a team game and Rhodes doesn't contribute to the team.

Brown isn't the striker I want playing for us because he isn't going to score. The point is Lambert is using him as an outlet in the hope better players will get in to scoring positions.

I don't miss Rhodes one bit. He should have gone when there was £14m on the table.

Spot on Paul. Not only do "you" not miss Rhodes one bit, the team hasn't either. What was the argument - where are the goals coming from? Well 3 at Oxford, 1 at Boro, three against Fulham and one against wham. Rhodes would have offered nothing today. He'd have been brown without the work rate. Strange also that people single Rhodes out as a big miss in the FA cup, - a competition where we've seen our best performances over the last two or three seasons when he didn't play.

We lost today because wham had far superior players all over the park. As if Jordan Rhodes was the difference. Goodness me.

The 3rd Hammers goal was an absolute shambolic disgrace. The 4th coupled with it was worthy of a 2 week fine. The 5th was worthy of P45's all round. There is not a single Rovers player good enough for the shirt.

Didn't think their 1st was exactly wonderful defending either... :mellow:...or goalkeeping.

The ENTIRE squad?

I can see why Moses got the time due to intelligent runs by team mates vs unintelligent concrete booted defenders*

* term used in it's abolute loosest sense

Yes. The entire squad. They are all league 1/2 standard. Serious doubts now arising over the manager

Venkys Out as always.....cntz

It's nitpicking I know, but when payet turned Duffy for fun and lenihan caught up with him, I want him to clean him out. I know it's tired legs and I know it's presenting a good set piece, but to allow a player of his talent inside is something he'll learn not to do.

I should add I don't blame him for the goal. But a seasoned pro tugs the shirt or clips a heel there.

• Backroom

Payet was world class today, pleasure to watch a player at the top of his game.

Gulf between the teams was vast, although of you only realised that today then you need to take your head out of the sand!

Payet is a fantastic player, no doubt. You can see why West Ham are willing to break their wage ceiling to keep him there. It's no coincidence that his injury this season coincided with their sudden loss of form.

I can see why Moses got the time due to intelligent runs by team mates vs unintelligent concrete booted defenders*

* term used in it's abolute loosest sense

Yes. The entire squad. They are all league 1/2 standard. Serious doubts now arising over the manager

Venkys Out as always.....cntz

Well some would say they aren't the only ones to part for Moses...

Brown was shattered. Ran his legs off.

I'm usually in complete agreement with you on footballing matters Paul but think you're completely wide of the mark there. Who cares whether he ran his socks off? He's been stealing a living by being at the Club for two years without scoring a goal and is a million miles away from being of the required standard and should have been the first sent down the road with a size 10 up his jacksi because he isn't good enough.

What does it say about standards at the Club when two years of dire underperformance is rewarded with him being chosen to lead the line in a plum Cup tie? The rest of them must be thinking it doesn't matter if they ever perform well again. If their face fits they'll get a game.

Spot on Paul. Not only do "you" not miss Rhodes one bit, the team hasn't either. What was the argument - where are the goals coming from? Well 3 at Oxford, 1 at Boro, three against Fulham and one against wham. Rhodes would have offered nothing today. He'd have been brown without the work rate. Strange also that people single Rhodes out as a big miss in the FA cup, - a competition where we've seen our best performances over the last two or three seasons when he didn't play.

We lost today because wham had far superior players all over the park. As if Jordan Rhodes was the difference. Goodness me.

To be fair den, this is exactly what most of us have been arguing for years, that the rest of the side hasn't been performing whereas you've been intent on pinning a large part of the blame on Rhodes.

I'll give you ten out of ten for front though, you've always claimed we'd be better off without Rhodes, on the afternoons when that proves not to be the case you brush it off by claiming Rhodes would have made no difference anyway, something which can never be proved either way.

Genius arguing it like that, having your cake and eating it.

To be fair den, this is exactly what most of us have been arguing for years, that the rest of the side hasn't been performing whereas you've been intent on pinning a large part of the blame on Rhodes.

I'll give you ten out of ten for front though, you've always claimed we'd be better off without Rhodes, on the afternoons when that proves not to be the case you brush it off by claiming Rhodes would have made no difference anyway, something which can never be proved either way.

Not getting involved in any Rhodes bashing and not solely aimed at you Rev but if anyone could kindly point out where and how Rhodes in the team today would have helped us, or prevented us from getting battered, I'll be happy to hear it.

Den has a point. With Jordan in the team today we would have been under even more severe pressure than we were, because their back four would have had more time.

I've only just summoned the courage to take a look at the message board after a shocking display. One to forget

Points out of 10

Steele 2 terrible display today. Pathetic attempt with first goal set the scene for rest of match.

Henley 2 I know he's not a left back but that's not much of an excuse for being out of position so much

Duffy 4 Tried his best but generally unable to cope

Ward 3 Contributed little

Marshall 7 The only useful contributor today. Great goal and probably most reliable defender too

Akpan 1 Successfully hid for most of the game. Dreadful

Taylor 1 Stupid fouls gave away free kick for second goal and then idiotically sent off. Also not good enough

Conway 2 Seems to have lost confidence and ability to cross.

Bennett 4 Tries and gets some good positions but no help at all from the rest of midfield today

Lenihan 4 Again a trier but no real impact on game

Brown 3 Tries hard but ultimately not good enough and never will be

Lambert 2 - I hope he had a good reason for picking that team and then not changing it at half time.

If the next match against claret and blue opposition is like this I will probably emigrate.

Came across not just the better team on the day but the better team overall, play that fixture 10 times and we probably lose all of them. I have to admit the team selection was unusual, I would have kept pretty much the same team from the Fulham game but again I don't think it would have changed the end result.

We are just a bad team right now, certainly not good enough to challenge the likes of West Ham (just shows how far we have fallen, they used to dream about competing with us) or the top teams in the Championship. It's pretty obvious when the team makes unforced errors on a regular basis which leads to goals.

Providing we stay up we have to give Lambert next season, then if we look like a team that is mid-table at best, flirting with relegation at worst then his position will have to reviewed.

I'll try not to rise the Rhodes baiters, who now are making direct unfavourable comparisons.Laughable.

Just watched Bbc highlights and full game on BT.

For their 1st goal, Ward backpedalled then turned his back on Moses and no player got within 5 yards of him.

Ward unprofessional, it should never happen at any level.

No one has seemed to make a major issue of this due to Taylor and Henley.

For the Payet goal, Taylor failed to intercept in their half (moved away rather than towards th tackle, then chased the play like a schoolboy, abd tugged a shirt in frustration on the edge of our box.

Totally unprofessional and poor for a decent overage u21 player.

To compound this minutes later by pulling Payet's shirt in his own half with covering defenders is beyond unprofessional.

Really, really brainless and all due to the adrenaline from the 35 min mark.

He could not have forfeited the game better if he had planned it, which the sad trier of course didn't.

Cue anger, disappointment (and much applause from those who obviously missed either incident).

That was enough capitulation but then Henley contrived to miss numerous chances to both tackle, and retain posssesion in the last 20 minutes. When he was back defending, not when effectively attacking.

He was oblivious to the man outside him at least 4 times when we had 3 chasing 2, but conceded numerous opportunities.

No, before you defend the indefensible, this was when in decent defensive positions.

Brown, no meaningful shot for 2 years, but given the run of the ball, he may well achieve Rhodes's modest reputation and tally next season.

Akpan was anonymous and ineffective in equal measure.

Marshall is playing well and is in one of his shortish purple patches. I don't agree that he was suspect defensively, and just watched every kick of the game.

Lambert could have tactically held them to 3 if he had brought 2 different earlier subs on, leaving us with more hope on Wednesday.

With hindsight etc., a naive tactical line-up by our stubborn, committed new manager.

Very sad but extinguishable by 3 points at Derby.

Bring on christmas.....

It's nitpicking I know, but when payet turned Duffy for fun and lenihan caught up with him, I want him to clean him out. I know it's tired legs and I know it's presenting a good set piece, but to allow a player of his talent inside is something he'll learn not to do.

I should add I don't blame him for the goal. But a seasoned pro tugs the shirt or clips a heel there.

Lenihan got booked a few minutes prior to this; surely he didn't want to emulate Taylor in the silly sending off awards!

Lenihan got booked a few minutes prior to this; surely he didn't want to emulate Taylor in the silly sending off awards!

He did his best, committed 3 potentially bookable tables before the ref lost patience and pulled out the yellow. Not adverse to us showing a bit of aggression but we have to choose our moments a lot more carefully imo.

I'll try not to rise the Rhodes baiters, who now are making direct unfavourable comparisons.Laughable.

Just watched Bbc highlights and full game on BT.

For their 1st goal, Ward backpedalled then turned his back on Moses and no player got within 5 yards of him.

Ward unprofessional, it should never happen at any level.

No one has seemed to make a major issue of this due to Taylor and Henley.

For the Payet goal, Taylor failed to intercept in their half (moved away rather than towards th tackle, then chased the play like a schoolboy, abd tugged a shirt in frustration on the edge of our box.

Totally unprofessional and poor for a decent overage u21 player.

To compound this minutes later by pulling Payet's shirt in his own half with covering defenders is beyond unprofessional.

Really, really brainless and all due to the adrenaline from the 35 min mark.

He could not have forfeited the game better if he had planned it, which the sad trier of course didn't.

Cue anger, disappointment (and much applause from those who obviously missed either incident).

That was enough capitulation but then Henley contrived to miss numerous chances to both tackle, and retain posssesion in the last 20 minutes. When he was back defending, not when effectively attacking.

He was oblivious to the man outside him at least 4 times when we had 3 chasing 2, but conceded numerous opportunities.

No, before you defend the indefensible, this was when in decent defensive positions.

Brown, no meaningful shot for 2 years, but given the run of the ball, he may well achieve Rhodes's modest reputation and tally next season.

Akpan was anonymous and ineffective in equal measure.

Marshall is playing well and is in one of his shortish purple patches. I don't agree that he was suspect defensively, and just watched every kick of the game.

Lambert could have tactically held them to 3 if he had brought 2 different earlier subs on, leaving us with more hope on Wednesday.

With hindsight etc., a naive tactical line-up by our stubborn, committed new manager.

Very sad but extinguishable by 3 points at Derby.

Bring on christmas.....

Apologies, only posted half of the ramble....

I can tell you one thing with certainty Brown puts in far more effort than Rhodes ever did. Yes he's not a great footballer but then neither is Rhodes

You're not trying to suggest that you'd rather have Brown in your team than Rhodes are you? You don't come on here to wind people up so I can only surmise that you aren't joking.

We've argued Rhodes's abilities into the ground on here but you are way off on this one. Brown is stealing a living.

For all his flaws Rhodes has just been sold for £9 million after bagging a good few goals for Rovers and Huddersfield before. Brown came to Ewood on a free and hasn't scored yet.

In Brown's defence I base my opinion on this game only but I saw nothing to argue against the majority opinion often shared on here.

Everything about today was embarrassing - the line up, the (lack of) closing down and goalkeeping for their equaliser, Taylor's second yellow (is he thick?), the fact that if the game had gone on for any longer at 10 v 10 it would have ended about 8-1. Just humiliating shipping 5 at home against a team like West Ham.

Speaking of which, when did we last concede 5 at home? I'm 22, had a ST for as long as I can remember and can't remember us conceding 5 at home in my lifetime (might quite conceivably have forgotten, if it has happened). 4 many times but can't think of a 5.

• Backroom

More than a touch of irony here, If today proved we were better off with Rhodes then Tuesday proved we were better off without him and you tried your best to diminish the role played by the strikers who lead the line even when one of them scored!

I hope soon the whole Rhodes debate will disappear but it seems people on both sides of the argument aren't keen to let it go yet so is likely to rumble on with a new slant each game.

Everything about today was embarrassing - the line up, the (lack of) closing down and goalkeeping for their equaliser, Taylor's second yellow (is he thick?), the fact that if the game had gone on for any longer at 10 v 10 it would have ended about 8-1. Just humiliating shipping 5 at home against a team like West Ham.

Speaking of which, when did we last concede 5 at home? I'm 22, had a ST for as long as I can remember and can't remember us conceding 5 at home in my lifetime (might quite conceivably have forgotten, if it has happened). 4 many times but can't think of a 5.

Sure it was against Coventry ironically in January 1993 for a Premier League fixture. The league was very wide open (more title contenders/dark horses than anything since) but Rovers conceding 5 at home then certainly wouldn't have been expected to the likes of Coventry. Not confusing it with the 5-0 defeat in 95-96 at Highfield Road which was another bizarre result. Rovers gave Coventry a couple of thrashings as well in the 90's.

Archived