BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Ham United - Fa Cup 5Th Round

We have an FA Cup thread, but no match thread so here it is.

The Hammers arrive at Ewood flying high in the Premier League, having added some style and consistency under Slavan Bilic, to the stability delivered by our old mate, big Sam.

Having despatched Wolves at home in the 3rd round 1 nil, and squeezed past an inexperienced, transitional Liverpool via a home replay in the 4th round, they bring a slightly less odious claret and blue army to the north west.

Their 7000+ tickets sold in quick time, showing just how confident and commited they are to this great competition.

They have won the FA Cup three times, in 1964, 1975 and 1980, and been runners-up twice, in 1923 and, infamously, in 2006.

They want it, but so do we, even though the recent transfer turmoil and League form has distracted us somewhat from focusing or even realising that we are 2 games from a 1st competitive return to Wembley since Speedie's successful swansong in '92.

We may not be at full strength due to one or two cup-tied withdrawals but a repeat of Tuesday's total performance will make this a close, quality encounter.

Rovers 2 - 1. Marshall, Hanley.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see us winning this but I'm looking forward to seeing how we do against a very good PL side, they have some exciting talented players.

Don't want a draw and a midweek trip to the east end.

I've managed to talk my two lads into attending this, they only go every now and again. Always enjoy the three of us going to the game together, this will be the first time this season.

West Ham are a very good side on their day and completely deserve to be 6th. They will also have had a full week's rest. The likes of Payet and Lanzini will cause a lot of problems down the flanks.

They also have a lot of physical players and our players will have to be at their very best to get anything out of the game.

Just hope our lot aren't a spent force after their efforts in midweek.

Going for a 0-0.

Ill be amazed if we get anything out of this. They are perfectly set up to cause problems for us - physical, fast. Like Hull but better.

West Ham are on the cusp of becoming truly massive. East London's population is growing fast and getting richer, they are getting their hands on a huge cheap stadium.

If they play their cards right they could be right up there with Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea in terms of revenue.

Ill be amazed if we get anything out of this. They are perfectly set up to cause problems for us - physical, fast. Like Hull but better.

West Ham are on the cusp of becoming truly massive. East London's population is growing fast and getting richer, they are getting their hands on a huge cheap stadium.

If they play their cards right they could be right up there with Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea in terms of revenue.

Not just east London, a huge fanbase throughout Essex, as well as plenty of support in the home counties.

A club on the up, and a symbol of just how much football has changed the last ten/fifteen years. Not that long ago, I wouldn't have said we were much smaller a club than say West Ham, but these clubs have now left us for dead.

But hey ho, last season we beat a couple of top flight clubs and fought Liverpool all the way, feel Graham will be a big miss, however.

Grimes is as well but I don't know about Gomez.

Didn't do too much damage replacing Allardyce for West Ham did it? Perhaps wouldn't have for Rovers if it hadn't been Steve Kean.

Ignoring the fact that Sam took West Ham back up and kept them there.....

So it will be either Jackson or Watt up front with Brown. I would probably go with Watt tbh..rather have Jackson as an impact sub

But I would play the same team as Tuesday.

Er how can he play the same side as Tuesday due to cup tied players

TBF West ham have a few out so could be a good chance for a upset as you never know in the cup anything can happen no matter who plays

Er how can he play the same side as Tuesday due to cup tied players

TBF West ham have a few out so could be a good chance for a upset as you never know in the cup anything can happen no matter who plays

Graham is the only player from the starting 11 v Fulham who is cup tied

Turns out all of their right backs are injured or ineligible so they might have to play Antonio there.

They're mostly a counter-attacking team which means they are great at getting results away at the top clubs, when all they have to do is sit back and break with pace, but when the onus is on them to take the game to the oppostion they aren't as good. At least from what I've seen.

Matching them for work-rate, endeavour and physicality (if that's a word) is the absolute minimum, then keep the likes of Payet quiet and I think we can do it.

Not sure if Bilic is taking the @#/? by calling us a "big club," yes historically but now obviously this is as big of a David vs Goliath match that you can possibly get, Venkys have ensured that. That's major insecurity talking if Bilic feels the need to field his strongest side vs a heavily struggling Championship team made up of players that are still finding out each other's first name.

I think a lot of people do still see us a big club, I was listening to the Guardian podcast earlier and they were talking about our history and successes an had us down for a potential upset. It's strange to think that outside of the Rovers fans bubble we aren't viewed as badly as we view ourselves at times.

We were a big club when Bilic was playing and that's how ex players tend to judge things I think. He won't read forums and he'll be expecting to take his team to a freezing northern stadium with a 25k crowd and most of who have turned up to cheer their team to an upset. He's just preparing his players mindset I suppose.

Anyway I think we'll give it a go and maybe make it to 90 mins all square.

Rovers 1 West Ham 1

Watt

• Backroom

Heard that they have sold 7000 tkts for this one and we've done less??

You've heard wrong. They've sold 7,200 (Cracking effort) and as of yesterday morning a total of 16,000 tickets had been sold, including away fans so we have sold a couple of thousand more.

I'm fully expecting a minimum of 20,000 there on sunday.

Archived