BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Birmingham City At Home

need to restore that 11 point gap from the bottom 3. I think we will bounce back with a 2-1 win. Gomez and Graham.

Steele

Spurr

Hanley

Duffy

Marshall

Akpan

Lenihan

Bennett

Gomez

Watt

Graham

Gomez had a bit of a stinker at the weekend but he is definitely a luxury player. He will have those games but he will also win us a few and show his class.

In retrospect games like the Burnley game aren't for the likes of Gomez. I sort of feared that might be the case before the game but at least we know that now. I like the guy and he'll turn out to be a decent acquisition at this level but there's a reason why he's not playing in the Prem any more.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In retrospect games like the Burnley game aren't for the likes of Gomez. I sort of feared that might be the case before the game but at least we know that now. I like the guy and he'll turn out to be a decent acquisition at this level but there's a reason why he's not playing in the Prem any more.

Absolutely, he is one of those higher quality Championship players IMO but can't quite cut it in the prem. Reminds me a bit of Robert Koren (from WBA and Hull) in that sense. Seemed to be too good for the Championship but not good enough for the prem.

I think dropping Duffy would be a massive mistake and will knock the lad for 6. He, along with Hanley, have been our most consistent performers this season IMO and if anybody deserves to keep their place after one mistake it's them. As has been stated, I think Gomez is a luxury player. I wanted to get rid of Rochina because he was the same but I think that we are in a better position to be able to utilise a player like this now. I would be happy if we go with either the same team that deserves something more against the dingles or the team that beat Boro.

One thing is for sure, despite the loss over the weekend there definitely seems to be more positivity around the forum (obviously apart from the likes of ABBEY :lol: ) and I think that the fans are starting to realise that Lambert is the one who can take us back to where we belong.

I think dropping Duffy would be a massive mistake and will knock the lad for 6. He, along with Hanley, have been our most consistent performers this season IMO and if anybody deserves to keep their place after one mistake it's them. As has been stated, I think Gomez is a luxury player. I wanted to get rid of Rochina because he was the same but I think that we are in a better position to be able to utilise a player like this now. I would be happy if we go with either the same team that deserves something more against the dingles or the team that beat Boro.

One thing is for sure, despite the loss over the weekend there definitely seems to be more positivity around the forum (obviously apart from the likes of ABBEY :lol: ) and I think that the fans are starting to realise that Lambert is the one who can take us back to where we belong.

Likes of abbey?

We know Duffy will not be dropped, he is an integral part of the spine that PL is trying to build. And, as thinking posters have said, he has improved.

I would have played Hanley and Kilgallon all season but I haven't laboured the point as there is zero chance of this happening.

I would also like to think that after Watt's impressive performance against Boro, PL will not revert to a striker who would only have a 30% chance of slotting into an empty net under no pressure, never mind improving on his 10% neck-down ball-control success rate.

I honestly believe that we would've created a couple of actual 2nd half chances if Jackson had been introduced instead of Barn-door Browny on Saturday (instead of our pathetic but much-lauded and defended zero attempts at goal despite 80% possession).

On the flack which Gomez has received, he was still part of a midfield which retained and regained possession brilliantly for 65 minutes, although he didn't have his best day creatively. He will also play tonight.

Grimes, on the other hand, has yet to do anything (please don't keep telling me about one decent cross) to demand a place in the team, and will hopefully be kept on the bench by Bennett, our most consistent recent performer, even squeezing Marshall into 2nd place.

Remember, btw, that Ben is still amazing value to score at any time. He will score tonight. Easy money.

COYMB!!!!!!!!

We know Duffy will not be dropped, he is an integral part of the spine that PL is trying to build. And, as thinking posters have said, he has improved.

I would have played Hanley and Kilgallon all season but I haven't laboured the point as there is zero chance of this happening.

I would also like to think that after Watt's impressive performance against Boro, PL will not revert to a striker who would only have a 30% chance of slotting into an empty net under no pressure, never mind improving on his 10% neck-down ball-control success rate.

I honestly believe that we would've created a couple of actual chances if Jackson had been introduced instead of Barn-door Browny on Saturday (instead of our pathetic but much-lauded and defended zero attempts at goal despite 80% possession).

On the flack which Gomez has received, he was still part of a midfield which retained and regained possession brilliantly for 65 minutes, although he didn't have his best day creatively. He will also play tonight.

Grimes, on the other hand, has yet to do anything (please don't keep telling me about one decent cross) to demand a place in the team, and will hopefully be kept on the bench by Bennett, our most consistent recent performer, even squeezing Marshall into 2nd place.

Remember, btw, that Ben is still amazing value to score at any time. He will score tonight. Easy money.

COYMB!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with the Ben Marshall value thing. Made quite a bit off that since the turn of the year.

I honestly believe that we would've created a couple of actual 2nd half chances if Jackson had been introduced instead of Barn-door Browny on Saturday (instead of our pathetic but much-lauded and defended zero attempts at goal despite 80% possession).

Zero attempts at goal?

Zero attempts at goal?

I'm sure if you replayed the whole 2nd half you might find a semblance of a shot or chance but I can't remember Heaton making a 'save'.

I'd appreciate anyone sharing the 2nd half stats.

I was just trying to say we dominated but produced precious little. Thought we all agreed on that.

Duffy (along with Hanley) has improved greatly under Lambert and whilst he is nowhere near the finished article he is at last showing that he can become a really good player. I can't understand how people can want him dropping for basically one error in Saturdays game. In the games leading up to Saturday he has been really good but people only want to focus on some negatives. I am delighted that our manager doesn't think like that.

Boyd came on his blind side. Duffy should have shown more awareness.

The biggest problem was his lack of composure.

He should have been looking to get his foot on the ball and retain possession, instead of trying to blindly hoof it up the field. Had he done so, his natural instinct would have been to quickly look over his shoulder before taking a touch.

He's a good player though, he'll learn.

• Moderation Lead

I'm sure if you replayed the whole 2nd half you might find a semblance of a shot or chance but I can't remember Heaton making a 'save'.

I was just trying to say we dominated but produced precious little. Thought we all agreed on that.

I'm not saying we weren't wasteful in front of goal against Burnley, but I can recall at least one save from Heaton when Bennett had a shot?

for me the players would fit into 3-5-2

Not sure the players would be comfortable in that system tbf. Would need months of training to play comfortable in that formation

Plus no natural left wing back in the squad.

I think a 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-1-2 formation is our best formation atm.

Yes, I think we do. We did have attempts at goal though.

Left work early to miss some traffic.

Come on Rovers, more of the same please.

Rovers 2 Brum 1 Graham Akpan

Steele

Marshall Duffy Hanley Conway

Akpan Lenihan

Bennet Gomez Grimes

Graham

Not sure the players would be comfortable in that system tbf. Would need months of training to play comfortable in that formation

Plus no natural left wing back in the squad.

I think a 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-1-2 formation is our best formation atm.

Why? With a 3-5-2 formation, 6 of the players are in there normal positions, the central defender, the three central midfielders and the two forwards. The other four just have to get a positional understanding of each other.

Going to this one. No games in a few years and then 2 in a week!!

Hopefully a repeat of the Boro game where we pressed, defended well and attacked them. I'd like more runners off and around Danny 'Magnet' Graham.

Big Club are well organised under Rowett but Toral and Donaldson should be well shackled by the triumvirate of Hanley, Duffy and Lenihan.

3-0.

Why? With a 3-5-2 formation, 6 of the players are in there normal positions, the central defender, the three central midfielders and the two forwards. The other four just have to get a positional understanding of each other.

There isn't a great deal of difference between 4-4-2 diamond and 3-5-2. Push the defensive midfielder from the diamond back into defence and it's basically the same formation.

Better to have an extra ball player on the park instead of an extra plodder though. Not going to be easy to keep possession with three centre halves who are uncomfortable on the ball.

Archived