BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brentford Away 19.03.2016

I'm not sure at the moment. Even flair players need to turn up in 2 games out of 3. Berkovic was a non tackling flair player but he had that unquenchable desire to get on the ball and make things happen.

Flair players need to have that desire. Without it they are... well... Rochina.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure at the moment. Even flair players need to turn up in 2 games out of 3. Berkovic was a non tackling flair player but he had that unquenchable desire to get on the ball and make things happen.

We want one that turns up every week. He was anonymous again yesterday. A Wigan supporting mate warned me that he'd only turn up every 5/6 games.

Only just seen Duffy's celebration this morning, couldn't see anything from the top tier (which is the most uncomfortable stand I've ever tried to sit in, the lack of leg room meant I had to stand at the back. Thankfully they'll be in a new stadium next season but one).

Our players celebrated at the final whistle like they'd won a cup final, there's plenty of passion in the squad. Happy trip back for a change :D

A flair player with more strength is needed a la Tugay (Gods be good).

Could we be as ambitious as Flamini? Arteta? Carrick? Adam?

Yeah. I only asked about Gomez because there was a debate about the need for flair. All your opinions - and mine - suggest work rate and application are more important than flair. Flair is nothing without the other. The same comparisons could be made in some ways, between Graham and Rhodes.

Yeah. I only asked about Gomez because there was a debate about the need for flair. All your opinions - and mine - suggest work rate and application are more important than flair. Flair is nothing without the other. The same comparisons could be made in some ways, between Graham and Rhodes.

Let's just say I'm glad he's on loan.

Flair perhaps being the wrong word in his case but he can pick a pass and is a leader.

No doubt, but he'd command wages well beyond us. Just you watch him end up at Bumley to emphasise the point.

• Backroom

Just pulling names out tbh. You don't get if you don't ask etc. Then again there may be an ageing superstar from abroad that we've never heard of currently in the Celtic reserves :P

A Flair player?

Well, to be the man, you've got to beat the man. Woo!

Sorry. Naw. I'm with Neal, Adam would be a dream signing. He's not really getting his game at Stoke and a taking a step down to get his career going again, like Graham (so far) could be what he needs.

Gomez looked awful today but today wasn't the type of game where he can do his thing. Im still bemused as to how Akpan made it to the level he has, when Lowe is fit he will be straight in the team for H.A. IMO.

I really, really fcking hope not. We need to improve on Akpan too, but Lowe is worse. Has an engine on him and works hard, and has precisely nothing else to his game. Not tackling, passing, heading, anything. Would have to improve a great deal, like Hanley has, for me not to groan when I hear his name on the team sheet. We won't go up with him as a mainstay. Lenihan seems to be a big improvement on him.

Akpan is basically a stopper and used correctly he can be effective and we need that, better than him if poss like someone who can dictate play a bit as well. Lowey brings neither, sure he gets about but he's still not mastered that yet as he leaves big gaps in the middle for the opposition to exploit. Maybe next to a class operator who could pull his strings a bit he'd do better but where do we get one of those from ?

Verdict = Squad man all day long.

Lowe should be kept on as a utility player to cover in midfield and right-back. If he can make a claim for the first-team, more power to him, but I honestly don't see what he offers apart from a willing runner.

Lowe should be kept on as a utility player to cover in midfield and right-back. If he can make a claim for the first-team, more power to him, but I honestly don't see what he offers apart from a willing runner.

Let's see how Lambert can remould him into something decent.

I think Lowe has the potential. It needs the right manager to develop it.

That was me (regarding Adam) I think, can't think of another player we could realistically get that I feel would improve us 100%... He would, he'd be safe money and exactly the sort of player we need.

Big bum is a good shout.He's probably the fittest he's ever been under the Hughes management.

Had time to reflect. This was my first way game for ages.

Good, London following, as ever, The fans stayed with the team throughout, and especially, when they were under pressure.

Yes, this was a dire, hoofball performance with a referee, who concerned me from the very start. I had even suggested Lambert should replace Hanley with Ward after the first booking. There was one symbolic moment right in front of us, when Graham jumped for the ball with a defender's arm in his neck, only for Graham, himself, to be penalised.

The goal and the wonderful celebrations left us on a high for the rest of the weekend. They may be the highlight of a dustbin season! Certainly, they will stay with me for a long time. Also, it was good to see the team so determined and together. We may have been concerned about the number of players, who know they won't be here next year, but make no mistake, this really mattered and it showed.

My son and I live in London, went to Brentford match. The last 10 min were incredible. So enthusiastic about Watt. Give credit to Duffy. But what seems clear two days after match is how weak we are as an attacking force. Mainly we do not have a number 10. The best number 10s are Dele Alli and Mahrez. But Gomez our ostensible no 10 is more of a Michael Carrick on his best day. Who can sit and spray passes. We need a number 10 and at least another midfielder who can get in the box to capitalize on Graham's knockdowns. Graham has good touch and strength. But perhaps will not regain his old goal scoring powers. He's too slow too run in behind and cannot beat people. Watt looks to be able to do both. Conway and Gomez had dire matches. Conway is slow and fat and not up to a lot. Akan is ok. But just ok. He is basically a DM. Lenihan isn't quite good DM. He and Akpan give centre backs a real shield. But neither good going forward. Even Bennett is more an up-and-down-the-pitch player than an attacking threat. On the right he basically protects Marshall who is quick and skillful and prob our best attacking player. Hanley is excellent but Spurr not good enough. Marcus Olsson just scored Derby's winning goal. Why couldn't we keep hold of him? The big question is who is Paul Lambert? Don't get me wrong. He is so much better than previous managers. is he Borussia Dortmund and Jurgen Klopp? Or is he a Sam Allardyce like long-ball and defend manager? We will know next year with new incomings. For the sake of Rovers fans I hope he is a Klopp.

Don't knock Rochina. Wish we had him now and Cairney but not on the field together.

A player with work rate and no flair is - Lowe.

Don't knock Rochina. Wish we had him now and Cairney but not on the field together.

He was a very capable player but I'm not sure he had a real desire though, Al. Not for us, anyway. The regime at the time may have played a part.

He was a very capable player but I'm not sure he had a real desire though, Al. Not for us, anyway. The regime at the time may have played a part.

Could have been another Matt Jansen if somebody could have got hold of him and made him realise it's a team game.

Tom Finney told a tale about his very early days. He was a serial dribbler and passing didn't figure much in his game . The coach had two other players stand about twenty yards away from the two off them. He said to Tom " Right Tom get the ball to that other player as quick as you can ". Tom set off flat out running with the ball. The coach just side footed the ball past Tom to the other player. The coach said " I win Tom ! "

That was a lesson he never forgot.

Could have been another Matt Jansen if somebody could have got hold of him and made him realise it's a team game.

Tom Finney told a tale about his very early days. He was a serial dribbler and passing didn't figure much in his game . The coach had two other players stand about twenty yards away from the two off them. He said to Tom " Right Tom get the ball to that other player as quick as you can ". Tom set off flat out running with the ball. The coach just side footed the ball past Tom to the other player. The coach said " I win Tom ! "

That was a lesson he never forgot.

The makers of the film "Goal" must have stolen that anecdote. They have a Wenger-a-like manager do exactly the same thing to the main protagonist.

• Backroom

The makers of the film "Goal" must have stolen that anecdote. They have a Wenger-a-like manager do exactly the same thing to the main protagonist.

The first thing I thought of too!

. Marcus Olsson just scored Derby's winning goal. Why couldn't we keep hold of him? The big question is who is Paul Lambert? Don't get me wrong. He is so much better than previous managers. is he Borussia Dortmund and Jurgen Klopp? Or is he a Sam Allardyce like long-ball and defend manager? We will know next year with new incomings. For the sake of Rovers fans I hope he is a Klopp.

According to Lambert, Olsson wouldn't sign a new contract

on the type of team we are?

I think we have 2 formations at the minute. either 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-2-3-1 formation

On style of play, I think we play high pressing game and mixed style of passing next season but guess it depends on who we sign and Lambert's summer transfer budget

Archived