BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager

Next manager  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next manager?

• Jason Wilcox
    • Not Jason Wilcox
    • Grooby

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless the company (can't call it a club anymore) gets sorted it matters not a toss who the manager is. No point paying a fortune for a Lambert and his staff if he has no back up. Venkys should go for something off the wall and appoint Abbey as manager as it would make no difference anyway.

And he is a Rover from the 'old days' as well. He certainly has more merit than Dunny, Wilcox etc

A Newell/Jewell reunion would be interesting too.

What because he managed Rochdale and Barnsley? I would argue that his position at City's academy is more attractive and bigger than the Barnsley and Rochdale jobs. Way Rovers are going you might have to make same argument to an extent. Course key thing is there's probably only one reason Wilcox would take it.

Worked not one miracle at Rochdale but two. He'd cause trouble in an empty house but other pro's speak really highly of him especially in regard to bringing on young players and players who've been around the block without every making it big. Rochdale used to produce a good player to sell on about once every 10 years. The list of players Hill has brought through to bigger things is pretty long.

If we are going down the road of signing frees from league 1 and bringing through youngsters then Hill might be a good shout. Doubt he'd stop us from going down but he'd stabilise us in league 1 then maybe get us trying to go up again. Similar to Grayson at Nob End.

Personally for me it's got to be someone with good experience of keeping a team in the Champ first and foremost. No idea on that one though.

Appointing Dunn or another rookie is signing the clubs death warrant without a doubt.

What because he managed Rochdale and Barnsley? I would argue that his position at City's academy is more attractive and bigger than the Barnsley and Rochdale jobs. Way Rovers are going you might have to make same argument to an extent. Course key thing is there's probably only one reason Wilcox would take it.

Because managing a football club is a world away from managing a youth team. Drop your infatuation with Wilcox and your hatred of Dunny FFS

Really Vinjay, if you are being held against your will, we can send people to help. Tap twice for yes.

Wilcox is a ludicrous suggestion.

He's probably the man.

I think he's the best option under the ex player criteria and I've said why.

Though yes Oldjam I do get annoyed by the treatment of Wilcox while that clown gets lauded as a legend.

Because managing a football club is a world away from managing a youth team. Drop your infatuation with Wilcox and your hatred of Dunny FFS

Most managers start somewhere remember? Would you have been happy with Shearer in 2008 who seemed to believe he was entitled to a blank cheque anywhere? As I've said at least Wilcox has a job and is well regarded.

I think he's the best option under the ex player criteria and I've said why.

Though yes Oldjam I do get annoyed by the treatment of Wilcox while that clown gets lauded as a legend.

Most managers start somewhere remember? Would you have been happy with Shearer in 2008 who seemed to believe he was entitled to a blank cheque anywhere? As I've said at least Wilcox has a job and is well regarded.

The last person I heard about that was described as "well regarded" in football circles, well I'm not even going to mention his name, but he ended up managing Rovers as well. As for Wilcox. I agree, I thought he got a rough deal at times from some elements of the Rovers crowd (as have many others over the years) but touting him as a potential manager of Rovers, even if we were limiting the field to ex Rovers players displays a breathtaking ignorance, or a bias. I'll assume its the latter.

The last person I heard about that was described as "well regarded" in football circles, well I'm not even going to mention his name, but he ended up managing Rovers as well. As for Wilcox. I agree, I thought he got a rough deal at times from some elements of the Rovers crowd (as have many others over the years) but touting him as a potential manager of Rovers, even if we were limiting the field to ex Rovers players displays a breathtaking ignorance, or a bias. I'll assume its the latter.

Don't you dare compare Jason to Steve Kean.

Yeah its bias because unlike likes of Shearer and Sherwood who are always mentioned (moreso in the past) he's trying to work his way upwards. Though I suppose Sherwood didn't exactly expect the Tottenham job and he had enough role there so Shearer was better example. Don't even know if Wilcox wants a first team role he might prefer academy coaching who knows?

I don't have to justify it. An experienced manager I can understand the argument but all indications are they want someone with previous (or current) Rovers affiliations. I'll justify Wilcox when people justify Shearer, etc.

Don't you dare compare Jason to Steve Kean.

Ha ha bloody hell Vinjay.

How do you think the appointment of another club's academy coach as our new manager would affect the morale of the Rovers coaching staff, particularly in our academy?

Your love affair with Jason will have to continue from afar I'm afraid. He has no chance of being our next manager, even with these feckwits owning the club.

Ha ha bloody hell Vinjay.

How do you think the appointment of another club's academy coach as our new manager would affect the morale of the Rovers coaching staff, particularly in our academy?

Your love affair with Jason will have to continue from afar I'm afraid. He has no chance of being our next manager, even with these feckwits owning the club.

Yeah well did you complain when Dunn openly (and with unbelievable arrogance) touted himself as a future Rovers manager in his ""farewell" address?

Its not a love affair but yeah I respect him a hell of a lot more than "Dunny".

At least with Wilcox I wouldn't doubt his integrity and genuine feeling for the club. Would Shearer and Sherwood truly have brought that with them?

Yeah well did you complain when Dunn openly (and with unbelievable arrogance) touted himself as a future Rovers manager in his ""farewell" address?

Its not a love affair but yeah I respect him a hell of a lot more than "Dunny".

At least with Wilcox I wouldn't doubt his integrity and genuine feeling for the club. Would Shearer and Sherwood truly have brought that with them?

I've never mentioned any of Shearer, Sherwood or Dunny as suitable to be the next Rovers manager though........

How is Wilcox superior to Grayson?

Well firstly I don't think Grayson would be likelier to come. He might have played here as well but you can't say he has the same affinity for the club,

I've never mentioned any of Shearer, Sherwood or Dunny as suitable to be the next Rovers manager though........

Well many have with the first 2 and even a few idiots with the 3rd.

@#/? it, i'd like them to appoint someone totally left field like Dennis Bergkamp or Zola... Let's have a bit of fun for once.

Throw a few names out there...

Steve Clarke, wanted Rovers to speak with him before Lambert, bit of damaged goods but think he could be a good manager.

Martin Jol, always thought he was a cracking manager but been out for a while and doesn't know this league well.

Billy Davies, absolutely crackers but knows how to get teams challenging on a budget, him and venkys would be interesting.

Paul Dickov, not for me personally but wouldn't surprise me, former player.

Lee Carsley, again not for me but wouldn't surprise me being a former player.

Di Matteo, can imagine them seeing this as some big appointment in their twisted minds.

Oscar Garcia, knows the league but not for me.

Stuart Pearce, desperate enough to manage under Venkys I think.

Paul Clement, doubt he'd come here at a good time and didn't exactly warm himself to the fans. Think he may have given us the V's actually.

Fair enough about Grayson being unlikely to come (though Preston ain't the best position in football and their facilities won't be up to ours) but affinity with the club shouldn't matter at all. You wouldn't make Keeley or Garner the manager and they love the club.

Well firstly I don't think Grayson would be likelier to come. He might have played here as well but you can't say he has the same affinity for the club,

I haven't seen anyone this time round saying they'd really want any of those 3. A few have said we might end up with Dunn. Nobody has mentioned shearer and sherwood is pie in the sky and we all know it I don't want anyone just because they've played for us, care about the club, venkys think they might be a popular or more likely cheap choice. I want somebody who can manage on a shoestring and has proved it, who can motivate players to do better than they may think they are capable of and who will tell us the truth about performances. Hard to find and harder still to persuade Venky's to appoint someone like that. I don't care if the next manager has previously stated he hates us with a passion if he'll just come here and give his best for the club and it's fans and is properly qualified and experienced at the job.

With Rovers connections (not that I agree with that particular criteria) all these would be above Wilcox on my list:

Grayson

Hill

Coleman

Ainsworth

Newell

Irvine

Flitcroft/Jansen

I suppose I would probably have to add Sherwood to that list but I'm not at all convinced that he would be the right man, or that he has any affinity for the club, despite lifting the premiership trophy with us.

Fair enough about Grayson being unlikely to come (though Preston ain't the best position in football and their facilities won't be up to ours) but affinity with the club shouldn't matter at all. You wouldn't make Keeley or Garner the manager and they love the club.

Yeah but like I've said Vieira was at the Academy and now he's in New York. Vieira also has clearly been talked of as a future first team manager of Man City. As I've said Wilcox hasn't been linked to that (not really a big enough name) but my thoughts are they must rate him extremely highly. They wouldn't appoint just anyone there with all the money put into that youth setup.

Archived