BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager

Next manager  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next manager?

• Jason Wilcox
    • Not Jason Wilcox
    • Grooby

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Rovers connections (not that I agree with that particular criteria) all these would be above Wilcox on my list:

Grayson

Hill

Coleman

Ainsworth

Newell

Irvine

Flitcroft/Jansen

I suppose I would probably have to add Sherwood to that list but I'm not at all convinced that he would be the right man, or that he has any affinity for the club, despite lifting the premiership trophy with us.

Maybe you're putting too much emphasis on this first team thing and Flitcroft managed bloody Chorley for christ sake.

Yeah but like I've said Vieira was at the Academy and now he's in New York. Vieira also has clearly been talked of as a future first team manager of Man City. As I've said Wilcox hasn't been linked to that (not really a big enough name) but my thoughts are they must rate him extremely highly. They wouldn't appoint just anyone there with all the money put into that youth setup.

It is a totally, and I mean TOTALLY different job coaching youngsters (whatever club we are talking about) and managing a football club Vinjay. Wilcox is - as you say - clearly a very highly regarded coach at that level. It does not qualify him to be manager of a championship club, with all the additional responsibility that job entails. We already have our own highly regarded guy doing the same job for Rovers youngsters, also an ex player. Nobody is suggesting him for the manager's job (though i wouldn't put it past this lot to appoint him!)

Edit: Your flippant remark about Flitcroft 'only managing Chorley' sums up how little you know about the difference between coaching kids and managing men (and the other side to managing a football club, whatever the level)

It is a totally, and I mean TOTALLY different job coaching youngsters (whatever club we are talking about) and managing a football club Vinjay. Wilcox is - as you say - clearly a very highly regarded coach at that level. It does not qualify him to be manager of a championship club, with all that entails. We already have our own highly regarded guy doing the same job for Rovers, also an ex player. Nobody is suggesting him for the job (though i wouldn't put it past this lot to appoint him!)

Yeah promoting Guardiola from Barcelona youth level to first team worked out dreadfully didn't it? I'm sure Keith Hill would have done better if only they had approached Rochdale. (if he managed them then)

Yeah promoting Guardiola from Barcelona youth level to first team worked out dreadfully didn't it? I'm sure Keith Hill would have done better if only they had approached Rochdale. (if he managed them then)

Probably the silliest example you could have chosen. So according to your theory Damien Johnson should get the Rovers gig, rather than Wilcox? Because Guardiola was promoted from within to continue a particular club philosophy started by Cruyff.

Probably the silliest example you could have chosen. So according to your theory Damien Johnson should get the Rovers gig, rather than Wilcox? Because Guardiola was promoted from within to continue a particular club philosophy started by Cruyff.

Yeah OK that was a ludicrously silly comment. Perhaps Johnson has something about him that would make a good first team manager who knows? I just don't think Hill, Ainsworth, Flitcroft are better candidates than some others based on first team management roles. As for Newell hasn't this club had enough trouble with agents lol?

If Rovers links are key then I'd personally sound out Derek Fazackerley. I think he could make a decent manager for us at our new level. Proud man.

Somehow though I can't see Venkys bringing in someone who works as Appleton's assistant. Even by their standards it would be ludicrous to fire a manager then bring in the assistant from his next role!

PNE are in a way better state that Rovers and look more promotion ready, soak that in for a minute. So the talk of Grayson coming here is ridiculous, it wouldn't be an move up or sideways it would be a downward move for him.

Screw the need for the manager to be an ex-rover. It's just an excuse by the club because they think that someone with affinity to the club will put up with more BS and a lack of money. That and they think fans will be less eager to turn on him.

Truth is a lot of clubs don't hire their ex-players, managerial ability and also experience trumps where they came from and who they may have played for.

• Backroom

And he is a Rover from the 'old days' as well. He certainly has more merit than Dunny, Wilcox etc

A Newell/Jewell reunion renewal would be interesting too.

How did you miss that opportunity?

PNE are in a way better state that Rovers and look more promotion ready, soak that in for a minute. So the talk of Grayson coming here is ridiculous, it wouldn't be an move up or sideways it would be a downward move for him.

Screw the need for the manager to be an ex-rover. It's just an excuse by the club because they think that someone with affinity to the club will put up with more BS and a lack of money. That and they think fans will be less eager to turn on him.

Truth is a lot of clubs don't hire ex-players, managerial ability and also experience trumps where they came from and who they may have played for.

I don't agree with Preston to Rovers being a downwards move. Better history, better stadium, better facilities, more potential ...

... Then I remember who own us and it's definitely a downwards move.

Anyway Nixon said there wouldn't be any new links in the Sun today. Just the 3 mentioned last Sunday which were Irvine, Sherwood and Dunn. He certainly didn't think Dunn should be chosen but thought Sherwood wouldn't have many other options and is worth the call.

I'm sure the LT won't have anything significant. No real analysis on Lambert on the site just some nonsense on betting odds (seems to be a rule with Wheelock that numerous articles have to start with "Blackburn Rovers Legend...insert name here) and an irrelevant story about Lambert wanting to get back into football quickly.

Sherwood would end up the same way as Lambert in my opinion, very outspoken, would end up frustrated with the style of ownership, speak out about it and would ultimately leave. Would be a waste of time and I dont think he's up to much as a manager.

I think Lambert might be a bit premature in assuming Irvine and Kelly will just walk out after him, a job's a job at the end of the day, and presumably relatively well paid ones in the general scheme of things.

That said I personally wouldn't want Irvine or Kelly or both in charge as for me they're part and parcel of the failed Lambert regime. I do however expect an Irvine/Kelly combo to be the most likely outcome as it is probably the cheapest option and the one which entails the least messing about and disruption.

Failed Lambert regime? :wacko:

Why?

He is probably referring to him being in the frame every time since Kean left.

For me no idea this time, won't be an established manager or anyone of credibility.. so Judan Ali, David Dunn, Irvine.. can't see much beyond that list in all honesty. We could try a Tugay, Savage, Shearer, Sherwood or Salgado but even they probably won't consider it and would not fall on my list being we need someone with proper experience.

Archived