BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager

Next manager  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next manager?

• Jason Wilcox
    • Not Jason Wilcox
    • Grooby

I can definitely see Johnson throwing his name in the hat, he seems very ambitious, potentially he could make a very good manager, just not yet please.

Rovers is not a place for ambitious managers.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This discussion is in many respects sadly irrelevant - Pep Guardiola / Brian Clough / King Kenny or anyone else you can think of cannot and will not sort out this mess as long as Venkys remain owners, we have tried enough managers under their tenure - one more will make no difference

The club needs new owners not a manager

If I was gambling, I'd rather back someone who has achieved something as a manager than as a coach. Remember Harford / Kidd ?

Besides a quick google search for Patrick Viera shows he's having a shocker at NYCFC at the moment.

New York Red Bulls are having a shocker too and their manager did really well last season. This was after they had sacked a popular manager and fans were furious but it didn't turn out badly for them.

Don't think Vieira should be judged yet though they did sack the last manager.

Some more on Wilcox...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-under-18s-encouraged-10318248

Good question but he cares for this club a great deal. That's the only chance.

The Coleman who suggested relegation teflon man appoint Kean? Thanks Chris!.

Why do you rank the others above Wilcox. I would say being at Man City youth is better than some League 2 side. Patrick Vieira joined New York City FC not long ago after coaching at Academy level. Now Wilcox hasn't been touted as future MCFC first team manager unlike Vieira but still...they don't appoint just anyone with all the money in that Academy setup. He's there for a reason.

Vinjay, has Wilcox got you chained up in his basement or something. Tap twice for yes.

I personally like Keith Hill, but I doubt he would be a popular choice, he's good at working with youth, getting a lot out of the players at his disposal and working on a low budget and he has the fabled 'Blackburn connection', I just like him.

p.s. yes i know he was sacked by barnsley(though he did keep them up just about) but barnsley are crud.

We can start the next manager search with candidates who would crawl over broken glass to be given the chance to manage a Championship football club knowing that they would never get the opportunity at another club at this size or at a club with fit and proper owners.

Step forward League Two managers, coaches, and the likes, people who will take whatever Venkys throw at them and gratefully accept it without rocking the boat.

I have a lot of respect for Paul Lambert for the decision he has made and I'm embarrassed that these owners have attempted to mess him about like they have with countless other employees over the last 6 years. They got more than they bargained for. Allardyce wouldn't put up with their way of doing things, and nor would Lambert.

If the budget is being cut then it makes the managerial appointment even more important, as it would make sense to recruit someone with extensive experience of this level and working in difficult conditions or on limited budgets with success, not taking a leap into the unknown with some rookie who has never worked at this level.

Going for someone like Neil Warnock, Steve Evans, Billy Davies would be the right solution - no nonsense football people who know the league like the back of their hands and have successful track records at similar sized clubs.

Someone mentioned Mick McCarthy - the rumours are he's off from Ipswich in the summer. He'd be a perfect fit for this football club but another who wouldn't put up with this sham. He's better than that.

I feel sick to the pit of my stomach at this football club. I'm embarrassed, ashamed, disgusted, and fully expect a swift collapse into League One and then League Two in the coming seasons.

An interesting point about Alan Irvine and Rob Kelly. The Lancs Telegraph reports that neither have release clauses in their deals and so are likely to remain for the summer and beyond, yet Lambert doesn't expect them to take up the job as manager and assistant (this could be because he's spoken to them and they aren't interested, or because he knows a new manager is imminent). If a new manager is imminent is he going to work with Irvine and Kelly? If so that would suggest a Johnson or Dunn working alongside the experienced duo. An experienced manager would want his own team and that would mean paying off Irvine and Kelly - unlikely if cuts are on the agenda.

I think Lambert might be a bit premature in assuming Irvine and Kelly will just walk out after him, a job's a job at the end of the day, and presumably relatively well paid ones in the general scheme of things.

That said I personally wouldn't want Irvine or Kelly or both in charge as for me they're part and parcel of the failed Lambert regime. I do however expect an Irvine/Kelly combo to be the most likely outcome as it is probably the cheapest option and the one which entails the least messing about and disruption.

• Backroom

Just so you all know I've just accidentally found myself as chairman of my sons school Ptfa so I reckon i have at least half a chance

I personally like Keith Hill, but I doubt he would be a popular choice, he's good at working with youth, getting a lot out of the players at his disposal and working on a low budget and he has the fabled 'Blackburn connection', I just like him.

p.s. yes i know he was sacked by barnsley(though he did keep them up just about) but barnsley are crud.

Worked not one miracle at Rochdale but two. He'd cause trouble in an empty house but other pro's speak really highly of him especially in regard to bringing on young players and players who've been around the block without every making it big. Rochdale used to produce a good player to sell on about once every 10 years. The list of players Hill has brought through to bigger things is pretty long.

A few years ago I (along with other fans) sat in the Radio Lancashire studio with Shebby Singh. One thing that stuck in my mind was that he was extolling the virtues of having an ex player as manager. It was almost that this was the most important criteria such was his insistence. With the rumour that the Indians want a former player as manager I am extremely fearful that this @#/?wit is back advising the Indians.

I meant Martin O'Neil.

Oh my, that deteriorated quickly :lol:

Lol, ah right yes - Martin is their number one target

A few years ago I (along with other fans) sat in the Radio Lancashire studio with Shebby Singh. One thing that stuck in my mind was that he was extolling the virtues of having an ex player as manager. It was almost that this was the most important criteria such was his insistence. With the rumour that the Indians want a former player as manager I am extremely fearful that this @#/?wit is back advising the Indians.

It worked out so well with Henning Berg as well Tony, didn't it? I think it would actually be the end if that specky twerp was back on the scene.

Worked not one miracle at Rochdale but two. He'd cause trouble in an empty house but other pro's speak really highly of him especially in regard to bringing on young players and players who've been around the block without every making it big. Rochdale used to produce a good player to sell on about once every 10 years. The list of players Hill has brought through to bigger things is pretty long.

I also like that hes got character and personality, something our managers haven't had since big sam

I also like that hes got character and personality, something our managers haven't had since big sam

And he is a Rover from the 'old days' as well. He certainly has more merit than Dunny, Wilcox etc

A Newell/Jewell reunion would be interesting too.

Archived