BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Letter To Venky's Shareholders

The following letter has today been sent to each of the Venky's India major shareholders who if they choose can make things very difficult for the Rao Family. I will keep you all updated on any replies that come back.

Dear Venky's (India) Limited shareholder,

I am writing to you on behalf of a large number of Blackburn Rovers supporters. This is not step we are taking lightly but we are reaching a point of desperation.

No doubt you have seen the remarkable triumph of Leicester City in becoming the champions of the Premier League. We are delighted for their Club, the supporters and the whole city of Leicester. We know from personal experience what an incredible achievement this is and the extraordinary boost becoming premier league champions has for the entire community because Blackburn Rovers were champions of the Premier League just 20 short years ago.

The fortune of the football club is even more linked to the local community when a small town is involved and Blackburn is three times smaller than Leicester. It is an understatement to say that the Rovers are vital to the life of our town and that we are incredibly proud of our history- the most successful town club in Britain with 10 major trophies and still the only club in the world to have won major trophies in each of the 19th 20th and 21st centuries.

As you will no doubt be aware, Venkys purchased the club in 2011 when we were in the Premier League club and the envy of the country for the excellence and professional manner it was run. We were often described as the model for clubs of our size and we had just finished in the top half of the Premier League in four of the previous five seasons and were enjoying qualification for European competition on a regular basis. We were a good solid club which was generally clear of any relegation worries.

Sadly, within 6 months of taking over the club, Venkys had created the conditions which led to the removal of the all the senior executives and the football manager (Sam Allardyce) and they further compounded the problem by replacing him with the first team coach (Steve Kean). It was no great surprise that within 18 months the club had been relegated from the Premier League and has since continued in a downward spiral. We have avoided a further relegation but spent time in the relegation places during this season as Venkys decision making continues to baffle fans and media alike.

The actions of the Rao family has made the Venkys brand toxic and a subject of ridicule in the UK. One of the stated aims in buying Blackburn Rovers was to use the Football club to expand the Venkys brand across the UK and Europe. Well they have managed created a brand identity and it certainly is recognised but not for the right reasons. Instead of being respected, Venkys has become a subject for humour and synonymous with "chicken brained" management incompetence. Opposition players perform chicken dances to ridicule us when they score in our stadium.

The damage does not stop at brand positioning but the actions of the family cost you as a shareholder potential dividends. Venkys had hoped to expand the Venkys Xpress business by entering the lucrative UK Fried chicken market which according to recent research by Mintel has grown to be worth billions annually having only started in 1985. I understand that planning permission had even been agreed for some of the shops but the negative publicity received from the ownership of Blackburn Rovers and management failings resulted in the venture being put on hold and most likely eventually completely cancelled. The Venky's products are attractive interesting and innovative for the UK market so it is not difficult to see that this has cost the company hundreds of millions of pounds in potential revenue which in turn has adversely affected the returns you have received as an investor.

The results of the actions of the Rao family over the last five years have devastated the football club and the Blackburn local community. Many businesses in and around Ewood Park have gone out of business as a result of the decline of the football club.

We appeal to you to use your influence as a Venky's shareholder to question the Rao family about what has happened to Blackburn Rovers and urge them to act to arrest the slide of the club by either filling the football and administrative managerial vacancies with competent people who have relevant football experience OR to appoint advisers to work on the sale of the club. Without your positive influence then the continuing decline of Blackburn Rovers seems inevitable leading eventually to the demise of the football club and 141 years of history.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The following letter has today been sent to each of the Venky's India major shareholders who if they choose can make things very difficult for the Rao Family. I will keep you all updated on any replies that come back.

I am writing to you on behalf of a large number of Blackburn Rovers supporters. This is not step we are taking lightly but we are reaching a point of desperation.

No doubt you have seen the remarkable triumph of Leicester City in becoming the champions of the Premier League. We are delighted for their Club, the supporters and the whole city of Leicester. We know from personal experience what an incredible achievement this is and the extraordinary boost becoming premier league champions has for the entire community because Blackburn Rovers were champions of the Premier League just 20 short years ago.

The fortune of the football club is even more linked to the local community when a small town is involved and Blackburn is three times smaller than Leicester. It is an understatement to say that the Rovers are vital to the life of our town and that we are incredibly proud of our history- the most successful town club in Britain with 10 major trophies and still the only club in the world to have won major trophies in each of the 19th 20th and 21st centuries.

As you will no doubt be aware, Venkys purchased the club in 2011 when we were in the Premier League club and the envy of the country for the excellence and professional manner it was run. We were often described as the model for clubs of our size and we had just finished in the top half of the Premier League in four of the previous five seasons and were enjoying qualification for European competition on a regular basis. We were a good solid club which was generally clear of any relegation worries.

Sadly, within 6 months of taking over the club, Venkys had created the conditions which led to the removal of the all the senior executives and the football manager (Sam Allardyce) and they further compounded the problem by replacing him with the first team coach (Steve Kean). It was no great surprise that within 18 months the club had been relegated from the Premier League and has since continued in a downward spiral. We have avoided a further relegation but spent time in the relegation places during this season as Venkys decision making continues to baffle fans and media alike.

The actions of the Rao family has made the Venkys brand toxic and a subject of ridicule in the UK. One of the stated aims in buying Blackburn Rovers was to use the Football club to expand the Venkys brand across the UK and Europe. Well they have managed created a brand identity and it certainly is recognised but not for the right reasons. Instead of being respected, Venkys has become a subject for humour and synonymous with "chicken brained" management incompetence. Opposition players perform chicken dances to ridicule us when they score in our stadium.

The damage does not stop at brand positioning but the actions of the family cost you as a shareholder potential dividends. Venkys had hoped to expand the Venkys Xpress business by entering the lucrative UK Fried chicken market which according to recent research by Mintel has grown to be worth billions annually having only started in 1985. I understand that planning permission had even been agreed for some of the shops but the negative publicity received from the ownership of Blackburn Rovers and management failings resulted in the venture being put on hold and most likely eventually completely cancelled. The Venky's products are attractive interesting and innovative for the UK market so it is not difficult to see that this has cost the company hundreds of millions of pounds in potential revenue which in turn has adversely affected the returns you have received as an investor.

The results of the actions of the Rao family over the last five years have devastated the football club and the Blackburn local community. Many businesses in and around Ewood Park have gone out of business as a result of the decline of the football club.

We appeal to you to use your influence as a Venky's shareholder to question the Rao family about what has happened to Blackburn Rovers and urge them to act to arrest the slide of the club by either filling the football and administrative managerial vacancies with competent people who have relevant football experience OR to appoint advisers to work on the sale of the club. Without your positive influence then the continuing decline of Blackburn Rovers seems inevitable leading eventually to the demise of the football club and 141 years of history.

Bob on, I fear silence.

Why was it not proof read before sending it out ?

Gah got someone to proof read it and didn't notice the typos. I will make sure a corrected version is sent out as I doubt the shareholders have read their emails as they were sent just half an hour ago so will redact them now.

Like Yoda, I think this could have benefited from another pair of eyes. However, they whole world is a critic and your efforts must be applauded Kamy.

The only thing I would have added would have been to the final paragraph, which feels unfinished.

Venkys shareholders don't care about Blackburn Rovers FC or its history. They need to know that what Venkys choose to next is also important to their brand and ultimately to investor cash. At the moment a lid has been kept on things because the club is now quietly dying largely out of public view. Nobody will care when Venkys eventually close down a non-league club in 5 years' time. They need to know that this approach won't be tolerated by supporters (even though it might by many) and that it will ultimately be Venkys global reputation that will suffer further. Particularly leaning on their share price sliding - and underlining the idea that the share price will continue to fall whilst they continue to run BRFC like rank amateurs. BRFC is the most visible demonstration of Venkys ability to run a successful business. Their performance thus far with Rovers does not bode well for any business ventures that they create themselves, and that weren't handed to them by their father. They are not only poor custodians of Rovers but the seed needs to be seen that that are not the best custodians of Venkys and of their shareholders' investments. I personally would not invest money long term in Venkys.

Could you also edit this part

the most successful town club in Britain with 10 major trophies and still the only club in the world to have won major trophies in each of the 19th 20th and 21st centuries.

to

the most successful town club in the world with 10 major trophies and still the only club on the planet to have won major trophies in each of the 19th 20th and 21st centuries.

No good talking down our club's achievements

Like Yoda, I think this could have benefited from another pair of eyes. However, they whole world is a critic and your efforts must be applauded Kamy.

The only thing I would have added would have been to the final paragraph, which feels unfinished.

Venkys shareholders don't care about Blackburn Rovers FC or its history. They need to know that what Venkys choose to next is also important to their brand and ultimately to investor cash. At the moment a lid has been kept on things because the club is now quietly dying largely out of public view. Nobody will care when Venkys eventually close down a non-league club in 5 years' time. They need to know that this approach won't be tolerated by supporters (even though it might by many) and that it will ultimately be Venkys global reputation that will suffer further. Particularly leaning on their share price sliding - and underlining the idea that the share price will continue to fall whilst they continue to run BRFC like rank amateurs. BRFC is the most visible demonstration of Venkys ability to run a successful business. Their performance thus far with Rovers does not bode well for any business ventures that they create themselves, and that weren't handed to them by their father. They are not only poor custodians of Rovers but the seed needs to be seen that that are not the best custodians of Venkys and of their shareholders' investments. I personally would not invest money long term in Venkys.

Not having a go, I like it but in matters of this nature as Kamy will understand you have to project a certain image.

Not having a go, I like it but in matters of this nature as Kamy will understand you have to project a certain image.

No, I agree.

This thread could very quickly turn into "you should have done it like this" though (I'm already guilty myself).

4472_you_dont_want_to_do_it_like_that_1.

Every credit to Kamy for the idea, and for actually doing something positive about the current situation.

Who knows if it will help or not, but to quote the rovers return seller, you have to be in it, to win it.

Ewood sparks wife/mum

"have you seen this darling, theres a letter to the venky shareholders demanding action

(spits his chicken sandwhich out) dghdhjdjdjjdjdk!!!

Ewood spark

"I dont believe it, this is a bloody outrage, how daaare they'

Bloody hell! "7 amazing tricks to get any woman into bed? " Oh, sorry, the Venkys share price thing. How much was 5.5 billion INR's again. Did we ever find out? PuneRover - any ideas?

Anyway, it's very easy to sit here at this time of night and criticise, good on you Kamy for the idea and the effort and research. But I thought it was perhaps too long, do they even know about BRFC? Possibly not. What they do care about is cash, their cash and the reputation of the brand. Which is in tatters in the UK as a result of the Raos negligence / mismanagement.

Their way out and the only way to salvage Venkys rep in the UK?

"Put the club up for sale, pay off the debt - which has spiralled alarmingly during their disastrous ownership. This would be seen as a fantastic gesture not just by the Blackburn Rovers fans and the Blackburn public but by the wider general public. It would show just how generous Venkys can be and enable them to rebuild their reputation in the UK almost over night"

Like I said, just my twopenneth. I'm sure we could all write something slightly different (nothing would ever go out if we all had an input!) Fact is I didn't Kamy and you had the wherewithal to actually do something. Well played Sir!

Archived