BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] No To Coyle

You have stated what you believe, that me and a "few other posters have been turned insane" and " have lost all rationality".

I have stated my belief that anyone who thinks we should just keep calm and carry on is either an idiot or a troll. What you think of that doesn't concern me.

what a prick.

Fans can have an influence parson . It's taken me until this season to do it . Boycotting season tickets has them panicking, look at the letters they've been sending out albeit photocopies and bog standard.

aye, you keep telling yourself that pal.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats the protest group BRAGS part in all of this?

What they have done to date is not in question. Should they have done more? If so, how, without the support of fellow fans?

Somebody else's turn, Gav. And, if it going to have any effect, it needs to be the hardcore at heart of it now.

I have said repeatedly that if a match were scheduled for Ewood and no Rovers fans turned up, then Venkys would be gone as quick as they could arrange it. They would be a laughing stock worldwide.

Even if it didn't work, wouldn't it at least be worth trying?

Something like that would also irreparably destroy the fans base and is akin to cutting of your nose to spite your face,

comments like those quoted suggest to me that those posters and others like them just want to see some trouble and what's best for Blackburn rovers and its fan base isn't really their first and foremost concern(although I'm sure they've deluded themselves into believing it is)

Whats the protest group BRAGS part in all of this?

Their only input these days seems to be in organising away travel and fair play to them for that, they're doing a good job of it from what i can see, their 'actions' as a protest group where just too divisive amongst the fan base in my opinion, So unless they have really learnt from past mistakes I think they should just stick to what they're doing.

Surely a better way of protesting would be for thousands to turn up at Blackpool and be as loud and vociferous as possible? Maybe get the game cancelled, half-time pitch invasion, banners, flares. Stand in unity with the Blackpool fans and make the news.

A friendly with little to no people attending won't affect anything. "It's only a friendly" will be the excuse and people will go about their lives. A friendly with an atmosphere like the one mentioned would get attention.

I liked the comparison to Portsmouth. They have gone through hell and back but their fans stood firm. They stayed and fought. It's rather ironic that those that now refuse to go continue to label those that do go 'defeatist'. Only that point can't be seen - the Venky's have not took notice of a drop in attendance from 16-17k+ to 10k. Why on earth would they now take notice of a drop from 10k to 8k? All perspective seems to be lost.

I am in no way saying that we should just 'keep calm and carry on' like some are accusing any of those persisting to go or support their club of saying. We shouldn't carry on as we are but we should keep calm; there's no point making rash decisions. It's proved that those that do end up leaving the club never end up coming back. They find other ways of filling their weekends and pick up new commitments. Our strength as a fan base is unity. Portsmouth knew that, as did Leeds. All their fans stayed and made progress. I don't have the answers to how, yet, but I do know that I'd be more effective by being there than being at home and on here asking fans that are there how the game went.

On a side note, Cardiff recently boycotted a game completely and it hasn't made much difference.

Something like that would also irreparably destroy the fans base and as akin to cutting of your nose to spite your face,

comments like those quoted suggest to me that those posters and others like them just want to see some trouble and what's best for Blackburn rovers and its fan base isn't really their first and foremost concern(although I'm sure they've deluded themselves into believing it is)

How would it irreparably destroy the fan base? A protest for one game where media is informed as to why there is a boycott, no fans show up, headline reads "EMPTY STADIUM AS ROVERS FANS BOYCOTT VENKY'S". Where's the irreparable damage?

Sorry, but I've absolutely no idea where you're going with that one.

Fair enough if people think boycotting isn't the answer as Venky's won't take note, but I'd really like to hear some alternative to "sitting on our hands and waiting for this whole nasty saga to blow over".

How would it irreparably destroy the fan base? A protest for one game where media is informed as to why there is a boycott, no fans show up, headline reads "EMPTY STADIUM AS ROVERS FANS BOYCOTT VENKY'S". Where's the irreparable damage?

Fair enough if people think boycotting isn't the answer as Venky's won't take note, but I'd really like to hear some alternative to "sitting on our hands and waiting for this whole nasty saga to blow over".

When our grandchildren are supporting Liverpool, Man Utd, and even Burnley and we explain that there used to be a club in Blackburn, I'll at least be able to hold my head up and say that I tried. What is most galling is there are people who don't even want to try.

I'm boycotting and as an elderly female there's no way I'm looking for trouble. I want what's best for my club - to be rid of our current owners - and so far nobody has put forward any other viable means of getting rid of them.

Something like that would also irreparably destroy the fans base and is akin to cutting of your nose to spite your face,

How exactly would this "irreparably destroy" our fanbase compared to what Venky's are doing?

Surely a better way of protesting would be for thousands to turn up at Blackpool and be as loud and vociferous as possible? Maybe get the game cancelled, half-time pitch invasion, banners, flares. Stand in unity with the Blackpool fans and make the news.

A friendly with little to no people attending won't affect anything. "It's only a friendly" will be the excuse and people will go about their lives. A friendly with an atmosphere like the one mentioned would get attention.

I liked the comparison to Portsmouth. They have gone through hell and back but their fans stood firm. They stayed and fought. It's rather ironic that those that now refuse to go continue to label those that do go 'defeatist'. Only that point can't be seen - the Venky's have not took notice of a drop in attendance from 16-17k+ to 10k. Why on earth would they now take notice of a drop from 10k to 8k? All perspective seems to be lost.

I am in no way saying that we should just 'keep calm and carry on' like some are accusing any of those persisting to go or support their club of saying. We shouldn't carry on as we are but we should keep calm; there's no point making rash decisions. It's proved that those that do end up leaving the club never end up coming back. They find other ways of filling their weekends and pick up new commitments. Our strength as a fan base is unity. Portsmouth knew that, as did Leeds. All their fans stayed and made progress. I don't have the answers to how, yet, but I do know that I'd be more effective by being there than being at home and on here asking fans that are there how the game went.

On a side note, Cardiff recently boycotted a game completely and it hasn't made much difference.

And fund the Oyston's? I doubt you could get Blackpool fans on board with that.

There can not be unity when any attempts at protest against the Venky's are either laughed at or shouted down by the holier-than-thou section of our fanbase (you, Parson, etc I do not include in that). Whilst I appreciate your sentiments re: Leeds and Portsmouth, I think the situation at BRFC is unprecedented and quite incomparable. It is near impossible to galvanise our fractured and hurt fanbase to 'get behind the lads' after all that's happened.

We could pack out Ewood every home game next season and it wouldn't make diddly squat of a difference to things; perhaps it would be a little livelier but there would be no real tangible benefit from it (except cash for Venky's). Wouldn't change the owners, their motives, the manager, the team, nothing. Maybe the Rao's will look at the figures from a packed Ewood and think "they must like what we're doing, we'll stick at it even longer!"

Would be nice if we could all push in the same direction to get rid of them but the fanbase will only truly be united once the Venky's leave.

i think that you are being very naive in the way that you believe the media would portray any such protest(regardless of what you may tell them its about)

i think that you are being very naive in the way that you believe the media would portray any such protest(regardless of what you may tell them its about)

If the protest is organised and communicated to local media and then in turn to national media, do you really think they're going to twist it to the point where it's published (and believed) that no fans turned up simply because we couldn't be arsed and we're the worst fans in the world? Yeah, I'm the one who's naive... :rolleyes:

I'm boycotting and as an elderly female there's no way I'm looking for trouble. I want what's best for my club - to be rid of our current owners - and so far nobody has put forward any other viable means of getting rid of them.

there has been plenty of protest ideas of all kinds over the months and years, most are just discussed briefly and casually then come to nothing, 'boycotting' is just the easiest form of protest in my opinion because it requires no physical effort or organising from the 'protester' unless its going to be followed up with actual protests outside the ground on match days(or something like that)

Also to whom it may concern!!

Sorry, Elvis Mcsmithy is/was me also, I've had signing in problems and the only account that I could access was that one which was created very briefly years ago, sorted now though (mods/admin can delete that account now if they feel it necessary)

there has been plenty of protest ideas of all kinds over the months and years, most are just discussed briefly and casually then come to nothing, 'boycotting' is just the easiest form of protest in my opinion because it requires no physical effort or organising from the 'protester' unless its going to be followed up with actual protests outside the ground on match days(or something like that)

I think you seriously underestimate how difficult it is for some to just simply walk away from something they've done religiously for over 30 -40 years in some cases. I wouldn't call it lazy, it's gut wrenching.

Answer the question please. Why would you not even attempt to do something different and boycott the Blackpool game along with your friends?

It a really important question because it strikes at the heart of why the hardcore continue to say that 'nothing can change' but aren't even prepared to try to.

Unless you say otherwise, I can only infer from your posts that you are comfortable to continue supporting what Venkys are doing to our club and will do nothing, such as boycott a meaningless friendly, to change it.

I don't need to answer to you Stuart - that's what you seem to have difficulty in understanding. You believe a boycott will change things, the guys I attend games with don't. My friends and I will be at Blackpool watching our team play football because that's we enjoy doing and have done it for more years than any of us care to remember. Simple as that. That's what we choose to do with our leisure time. It's why many went out to Austria to watch a friendly. It's why we will be a Morecambe at the weekend. It's why we travel up and down the country following the club. I don't have a problem with those who feel that boycotting the club is the right thing to do for them. I wouldn't dream of telling someone not to boycott and to attend matches. I respect the choice they have made. Sadly, you seem to have difficulty in respecting the choices others make.

If the protest is organised and communicated to local media and then in turn to national media, do you really think they're going to twist it to the point where it's published (and believed) that no fans turned up simply because we couldn't be arsed and we're the worst fans in the world? Yeah, I'm the one who's naive... :rolleyes:

Sorry but one other thing that's being overlooked here is that the national media in general don't care about us and the football media/journalists hate us(even our very own local rag and its writers lean more towards supporting the clubs board&owners ahead of the fans)

but ok, we'll have to agree to disagree on that matter, i'm just going of the way that we where portrayed last time there was protests(to which our reputation is still taking a kick-in for from the less informed or less caring non rovers footbal fan)

I think you seriously underestimate how difficult it is for some to just simply walk away from something they've done religiously for over 30 -40 years in some cases. I wouldn't call it lazy, it's gut wrenching.

I never said "lazy"! please dont put words into peoples mouths, I'm sure plenty of those boycotting would attend match day protests if they arranged.

There is already a protest idea that I came across and shared in the joint protest v Blackpool thread. There seems to be people wanting to do so something so why not look at doing that? It's barely had a reply... Less talk & more involvement me thinks ;)

I don't need to answer to you Stuart - that's what you seem to have difficulty in understanding. You believe a boycott will change things, the guys I attend games with don't. My friends and I will be at Blackpool watching our team play football because that's we enjoy doing and have done it for more years than any of us care to remember. Simple as that. That's what we choose to do with our leisure time. It's why many went out to Austria to watch a friendly. It's why we will be a Morecambe at the weekend. It's why we travel up and down the country following the club. I don't have a problem with those who feel that boycotting the club is the right thing to do for them. I wouldn't dream of telling someone not to boycott and to attend matches. I respect the choice they have made. Sadly, you seem to have difficulty in respecting the choices others make.

Out of interest Parson, what WOULD you be willing to do if such protests were arranged and had galvanised a lot of fans to take part? If there was a boycott/protest arranged for one game, would you and your friends not even consider joining in? If not a boycott, is there any action you'd be prepared to take part in?

Personally, I think the Blackpool game is a good idea considering what the Oyston's have done to Blackpool FC. I can't bring myself to financially support them so I won't be attending but I do like the idea of a day out in Blackpool.

ok, then well have to agree to disagree on that matter, i'm just going of the way that we where portrayed last time there was protests(to which our reputation is still taking a kick-in for from the less informed or less caring non rovers fan)

Wasn't this due to the anger at Kean and the chants during games more than anything? It was twisted to protect Stevie and paint us in a bad light. A protest/boycott purely against the owners wouldn't garner near as much criticism IMO, so long as we keep Coyle out of it.

There is already a protest idea that I came across and shared in the joint protest v Blackpool thread. There seems to be people wanting to do so something so why not look at doing that? It's barely had a reply... Less talk & more involvement me thinks ;)

exactly,

and im as guilty as anybody, i don't think I've even so much as looked in that thread once :blush:

Out of interest Parson, what WOULD you be willing to do if such protests were arranged and had galvanised a lot of fans to take part? If there was a boycott/protest arranged for one game, would you and your friends not even consider joining in? If not a boycott, is there any action you'd be prepared to take part in?

Personally, I think the Blackpool game is a good idea considering what the Oyston's have done to Blackpool FC. I can't bring myself to financially support them so I won't be attending but I do like the idea of a day out in Blackpool.

ParsonBlue already told you his reasons and why he and his group wont be boycotting this season.

I agree with everyone of his posts today and reasons. He has put it miles better than I could have ever put it. so huge credit to ParsonBlue for his posts

I don't think the Blackpool game is a good idea due to Fans will be attending with family and kids. we don't want riot or injures if things get out of control.

A lot of the fans attending want to watch the game.

From my view, the best protests are the ones that aren't organised But when the Crowd in the stadium chanting Venkys out.

But yet again the biggest problem is the owners aren't in this country and wont know about it or be affected by it

​at the end of the day there is no right answer to this protest debate and never will be.

​I want My Club to have a good season this coming season and I will get behind the players during games despite my angered towards the owners.

Wasn't this due to the anger at Kean and the chants during games more than anything? It was twisted to protect Stevie and paint us in a bad light. A protest/boycott purely against the owners wouldn't garner near as much criticism IMO, so long as we keep Coyle out of it.

sorry, ive edited the post that you quoted before id seen that you've quoted it

I've already explained why myself and the folk I go with won't be boycotting. It's pointless going over the same ground. Hopefully, people can respect the decisions that others make.

What they have done to date is not in question. Should they have done more? If so, how, without the support of fellow fans?

Somebody else's turn, Gav. And, if it going to have any effect, it needs to be the hardcore at heart of it now.

So you think that the protest group BRAG has no role to play in any protest, because its someone elses turn?

I'm sorry Stuart but that is just complete and utter bunkum, they're a protest group, they arrange protests, or at least they did once upon a time.

To have anyone else taking up the mantle just splits the support even more.

BRAG have a membership, its the way to generate support by going through the correct channels, has credibility if the members want to act.

Anyway its not happening, the fans don't want it, so no point rowing over something that will never happen.

When our grandchildren are supporting Liverpool, Man Utd, and even Burnley and we explain that there used to be a club in Blackburn, I'll at least be able to hold my head up and say that I tried. What is most galling is there are people who don't even want to try.

Sorry to interrupt your crusade, but haven't you bought a season ticket? (apologies if I'm mistaken).

You just seem to be posting (repeatedly) on a message board, so how does this ensure you can hold your head up (in relation to your rant). What are you actually doing?

Before you ask, yes I will be attending Ewood next season, the loons don't care about Rovers or haven't you noticed?

IMO, the club, our club, my club for 50 years, needs the ST money, as reduced ST sales = goodbye players of any value to make up the shortfall of cash.

IMO we should be organising a crusade to buy ST's to help support the 'neglected starved orphan' that we've become!

Archived