BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] No To Coyle

It's simply nothing new. We've always sold players and more often than not replaced them with inferior ones. I stopped getting upset about it after Fred Pickering was replaced by George Jones. Sold Pickering to Everton at a time when they were going for the title with us and replaced him with a youngster who we got for a fraction of the price that we received for Fred. That was done by folk who actually cared about the club so I don't really expect more of owners who are simply here as a business venture.

The big difference between then and now is selling those players was a necessity to pay the 'leccy, etc. We allegedly have billionaire owners now. They could support us infinitum if they wanted to, without flogging the crown jewels. FFP is more relaxed no too, so working under the old embargo conditions is futile, unless it is being used as an excuse not to put money in. Derby, Boro, Sheffield Weds, etc have been doing it, why couldn't we? Yes, it's their money and they own the club, so they can do what they want. But if they want some of that money back they need to speculate a bit to potentially get most of their outlay to date back. If they fail, well we're no worse off, we're likely to fail now anyway with our freebies and loans.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's simply nothing new. We've always sold players and more often than not replaced them with inferior ones. I stopped getting upset about it after Fred Pickering was replaced by George Jones. Sold Pickering to Everton at a time when they were going for the title with us and replaced him with a youngster who we got for a fraction of the price that we received for Fred. That was done by folk who actually cared about the club so I don't really expect more of owners who are simply here as a business venture.

It's never ever been on this scale though has it. It's now just a conveyor belt of selling, Christ if it was the late 80's Sellars. Garner, Kennedy, Hill, John Millar would have been bounced through the doors in the space of 12 months if they were worth anything.

It's not normal it's unique but in a bad way.

The big difference between then and now is selling those players was a necessity to pay the 'leccy, etc. We allegedly have billionaire owners now. They could support us infinitum if they wanted to, without flogging the crown jewels. FFP is more relaxed no too, so working under the old embargo conditions is futile, unless it is being used as an excuse not to put money in. Derby, Boro, Sheffield Weds, etc have been doing it, why couldn't we? Yes, it's their money and they own the club, so they can do what they want. But if they want some of that money back they need to speculate a bit to potentially get most of their outlay to date back. If they fail, well we're no worse off, we're likely to fail now anyway with our freebies and loans.

Spot on. There is a BIG difference between now and the pre-Walker era.

Back then we had owners who cared about the club but had no money. Now we have owners who don't care about the club (and who are comfortable watching it rot) but who have the money to change it and won't (and have taken money out of the club and replaced our PL income and playing assets with debt).

It's one thing going hungry, it's another to be starved.

I'm of the view there's something like this brewing, which is why it's infuriating that some try to explain things away with Woy Logic, 'These Things Happen'

Something has been brewing since the unexpected sale of Cairney in my view. Tipping point with the debt to asset ratio probably and without them paying it off personally or having things reposed then this is the way of squaring it up a bit.

Take into account they've disappeared off the face of the earth I think after winging it for so long someone somewhere has got hold of it and said sort it out. Them being them they've probably just left it to the bank, their finance guy, our chief accountant and of course their agent mates to deal with the football side of it.

Typical rich tossers who've made a huge mess and are now leaving it for others to sort out. I reckon the absolute only reason Rovers haven't yet been let go bust under these lot is because of their huge line of credit and their bank not their own cash.

Something has been brewing since the unexpected sale of Cairney in my view. Tipping point with the debt to asset ratio probably and without them paying it off personally or having things reposed then this is the way of squaring it up a bit.

Take into account they've disappeared off the face of the earth I think after winging it for so long someone somewhere has got hold of it and said sort it out. Them being them they've probably just left it to the bank, their finance guy, our chief accountant and of course their agent mates to deal with the football side of it.

Typical rich tossers who've made a huge mess and are now leaving it for others to sort out. I reckon the absolute only reason Rovers haven't yet been let go bust under these lot is because of their huge line of credit and their bank not their own cash.

Couldn't agree more

It's never ever been on this scale though has it. It's now just a conveyor belt of selling, Christ if it was the late 80's Sellars. Garner, Kennedy, Hill, John Millar would have been bounced through the doors in the space of 12 months if they were worth anything.

It's not normal it's unique but in a bad way.

Don't waste your breath. Let Parson keep telling himself it's just like the good old days. It helps him sleep at night.

Never at the frequency we now sell players at.

Never at the frequency we now sell players at.

Every summer of John Williams era we'd sell someone on for big profit and sign cheaper replacements.

Only difference is we hired a proper management team and structure to help replace these players with quality.

I still think Mark Hughes did better business than anyone else for Rovers!

Don't waste your breath. Let Parson keep telling himself it's just like the good old days. It helps him sleep at night.

Why stoop to such levels?

A quick flick through other clubs in the Championship,seems about average to me Aggy.

I would agree. We have a high turnover of players who come in on a free and leave twelve months later and, of course, a high turnover in youngsters who fail to make the grade. However, actual deals involving cash I would have thought are about the same as other clubs in this League.

I would agree. We have a high turnover of players who come in on a free and leave twelve months later and, of course, a high turnover in youngsters who fail to make the grade. However, actual deals involving cash I would have thought are about the same as other clubs in this League.

We never sold our better players at such frequency even in the dark days of the 70's and 80's, which is my comparison, not other clubs.

We never sold our better players at such frequency even in the dark days of the 70's and 80's, which is my comparison, not other clubs.

Hmm hard to really compare the sale of players in the 70s and 80s.Football now awash with money and transfers.

i can never remember picking up a paper and reading three pages about players going here there and everywhere.

But the bottom line is whether we sell one or ten, this season we havent spent a penny of the money re couped on the sales of Rhodes Gestede Olsson and Cairney.

The previous seasons we ve actually spent the same as what we ve re couped on player sales til this season.

We sold a fair few during the sixties - Pickering, England, Hole, Ferguson, Knighton, Newton - let's be honest who would have paid money for some of the others in the late sixties. In the seventies we again sold anyone who was any good - Hunter, Jones, Bradshaw, Oates, Hird, Bailey. The Championship winning squad broke up fairly quickly over a short period of time.

I think we have always had a high turnover of players but the difference between the Jack Walker/Walker Trust era and today is that we invested a decent chunk of transfer fees received into buying quality replacements. Today I think is closer to the sixties and seventies when replacements are not anywhere near the same standard of those being sold. Bowyer managed to bring in some quality in Marshall, Cairney, Conway and Gestede, but clearly not enough and, of course, two of those have been sold and a Marshall will possibly be on his way at some point this summer. Whether Coyle can bring in enough quality to keep us afloat without spending money remains to be seen.

I really think that there are so many comparisons between Kean and Coyle that we could be heading down the very same route. As I recall Kean had the ear of the Indians who (misguidedly) seems to have complete trust and faith in him. He even got a new contract out of them when we got relegated. At the time I felt this was primarily down the fact he was a liar and told them what they wanted to hear and spun everything to put a positive spin on it. He was aided and abetted by the likes of Agnew and Anderson. The vast majority of fans could see this but the fools in another continent couldn't. I have always felt that Coyle is cut from the same cloth as Kean and what I have heard from him over the last few weeks does nothing to disprove this. My real fear is that Coyle will become unsackable through exactly the same traits as Kean as he spins his own brand of nonsense to them. I think he will take advantage of absence proper leader over here and feather is own nest.

Time will tell but I really fear for the next phase of our history as we are in the hands of these people.

I really think that there are so many comparisons between Kean and Coyle that we could be heading down the very same route. As I recall Kean had the ear of the Indians who (misguidedly) seems to have complete trust and faith in him. He even got a new contract out of them when we got relegated. At the time I felt this was primarily down the fact he was a liar and told them what they wanted to hear and spun everything to put a positive spin on it. He was aided and abetted by the likes of Agnew and Anderson. The vast majority of fans could see this but the fools in another continent couldn't. I have always felt that Coyle is cut from the same cloth as Kean and what I have heard from him over the last few weeks does nothing to disprove this. My real fear is that Coyle will become unsackable through exactly the same traits as Kean as he spins his own brand of nonsense to them. I think he will take advantage of absence proper leader over here and feather is own nest.

Time will tell but I really fear for the next phase of our history as we are in the hands of these people.

You make good points.

Coyle can talk the talk but NOW is the time to walk the walk.

Allardyce mentions in his book that just after Santa Cruz was sold (because "Blackburn were seriously overspent") he was approached by John Willilams who told him "we will have to sell Warnock as well". So selling assets certainly isn't a new thing, it's just we have less assets to sell these days.

Allardyce mentions in his book that just after Santa Cruz was sold (because "Blackburn were seriously overspent") he was approached by John Willilams who told him "we will have to sell Warnock as well". So selling assets certainly isn't a new thing, it's just we have less assets to sell these days.

Sam Allardyce book is a such great book to read.

Archived