BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] No To Coyle

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it rather incredulous that someone as informed as Chaddy didn't know what a disaster Coyle was at Houston, didn't he leave them bottom of their league?

As for him learning about fitness there, this article at the time of his departure slammed him for getting it wrong on that count

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/it-s-no-surprise-that-the-houston-dynamo-owen-coyle-marriage-ended-in-flames-052616

"The constant running that Coyle demanded of his team wasn't a great fit for a league that demands teams play through the hot summer and take long flights for road trips"

Most of that is worrying reading but it was the USA, very different... Let's look at Wigan instead... Oh dear...

I find it rather incredulous that someone as informed as Chaddy didn't know what a disaster Coyle was at Houston, didn't he leave them bottom of their league?

As for him learning about fitness there, this article at the time of his departure slammed him for getting it wrong on that count

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/it-s-no-surprise-that-the-houston-dynamo-owen-coyle-marriage-ended-in-flames-052616

"The constant running that Coyle demanded of his team wasn't a great fit for a league that demands teams play through the hot summer and take long flights for road trips"

Most of that is worrying reading but it was the USA, very different... Let's look at Wigan instead... Oh dear...

I wonder the same. Coyle left them bottom of the league and it's surprising that Chaddy has now tried to defend his time there. I'm not going to say he's trying to wind people up, but it's unusual he either didn't know Coyle failed there, or didn't understand leaving a club rooted to the bottom of the table constitutes as failure.

I was as shocked and distraught as most when Owen Coyle was announced as our new manager. I knew of the SEM links and I couldn't get it out of my head - still can't. Then we have the ties to Burnley, although quite frankly I'm adult enough to be able to put them aside, after all it isn't as if he is a Burnley supporter or indeed even liked by them. Finally, his reputation as a manager has been knocked in the last several years. I have followed the MLS the past couple of years, due to it being increasingly shown on Sky Sports, and he certainly didn't portray himself in a good light over there. His style of football didn't suit the MLS or Houston, who are a fairly new team with a very limited squad. Similiar to us, although we are far worse off, is that they don't have much money at all and his inability to add quality striking options left him leaking goals with little return in goals. We are all aware of his attacking play and this just didn't work in the MLS, a league like no other.

We should stop underestimating the MLS - plenty of foreign managers have tried and failed to make it there. Not because of the quality but because it is entirely different to what we are used to in terms of schedule, travel, play, weather etc etc. So perhaps judging him on his time at a relatively new and under-prepared Dynamo's squad is a little unfair.

His time in England had its ups and downs but I don't think it was terrible. He is more experienced than other managers we have had, spare Lambert, and has past of getting out of this league. His tenure at Bolton wasn't a farce like some on here are making out - he did well at first but injuries crippled a depleted squad and ultimately cost his job. His time at Wigan could be excused by saying it clearly wasn't a job for him and almost any manager would have struggled there at that time.

However, let's judge him by his time HERE. He came in and immediately saw where our squad needed bolstering - attack and midfield. He has brought in two quality strikers, brought in a highly rated midfield and a useful signing in Feeney. Rumours are he is working on full backs/extra strikers and his acquisition of Hendrie, a very attacking full back, and the departure of Spurrs probably signals his intent this year - his usual vibrant, attacking football. I, for one, am finally looking forward to watching some exciting football at Ewood for a change.

From his time in charge of Blackburn he has said the right things and done the right things. We can only judge him on his current work and quite frankly the criticism he is still facing is harsh. You should give the man a chance to do his job and if the results don't come in then you can pass your expert judgement. Until then support the team, support the man and let's hope for a good season of football at Ewood once more.

And before anyone calls me a 'happy-clapper', 'pro-Venky' blah blah blah I am not. I am just a supporter that wants to see Blackburn do well. We should stop dividing ourselves because the more divided we are the easier it is for the Venky's to continue in their farcical ownership of our club. Strength in unity and all that.

There are a few people defending Coyle and undermining Lambert.

It's either goldfish syndrome, or more likely in some cases the fact that he is wearing a Rovers badge. 'Why can't we all just move on - I have so everyone else should too'.

Some people were all for not renewing at the suggestion of Coyle and are now trying to re-write history on the basis that "I'm entitled to change my mind". Just a shame they don't have a bit more humility and have to try to bait other posters who are a more principled.

who has been undermining Lambert Stuart? I was annoyed and angry that he left but lets not forget it was his choice and nothing else. He did what he felt right for him.

Stuart people change their mind all of the time. I changed my mind and I have already explained the reasons why.

bait other posters? Everyone is giving their opinions. Sometime you might not like them but that's life.

I predicted that a certain person would be singing chimphead's blue n white army by end of august. Even I didn't think the full u turn would be complete by the end of june.

who that certain person then Abbey? if it is me then you are WRONG yet again but yet again you keep making these sly pointless comments about people you have no idea about them

I was livid at the appointment and being moved from family stand and didn't think I would be renewing.

The Staff at Ewood are very good at their jobs. deserved a lot of credit

Like you, I'm far from convinced about Coyle. So far his signings have been what we might expect, freebies and loans, but on paper seem to be a step in the right direction, although only time will tell on that. Getting Graham was a major plus. The bottom line for me is that I enjoy watching the Rovers play football and that doesn't change because of the off the field antics. I will be at games with friends, I will be travelling to away games with friends and enjoy football as I have always done. Yes, I'm angry at what has happened to the club, I don't believe that the owners are capable of turning it around but I still enjoy the whole experience of following the Rovers and that, at the end of the day, is what a leisure activity is all about. If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't renew. Tom, I'm sure you and the little lad will have a great time watching the Rovers together, and that's something that will stay with you and him for a lifetime.

I didn't want Coyle one bit but I will get behind my club and support the team. we all want Blackburn Rovers to be successful

it was a massive plus that Coyle got Graham to come and sign here.

I will enjoy the games with friends.

I doubt the fans individually or en masse will ever sing '(insert manager name here)'s blue and white army' again. Unless it's Jack Walker of course!

It should be only reserved for Uncle Jack Walker and nothing more

So now you are acknowledging his record is poor? Make up your mind!

Oh, and it's nonsense that previous record is irrelevant. Hence why the Manchester clubs have gone for Pep and Jose respectively. Achievements are a big deal.

(And no I'm not saying we should have gone for either of these two.)

Coyle should be judge on results here and nothing else.

Ha never mentioned any names ... If the cap fits .

As for chimp head should be judged on results here and nothing else well I assume you are ignoring his lies at first interview, his slagging of rovers fans , his support of k@@n, his slagging of our club , his crap record and his dingle connection

As for chimp head should be judged on results here and nothing else well I assume you are ignoring his lies at first interview, his slagging of rovers fans , his support of k@@n, his slagging of our club , his crap record and his dingle connection

The whole referring to him as 'chimp head' and the slight digs just completely undermines your opinions. This isn't a playground and I'd like to think we are big enough and ugly enough to actually have a conversation without turning into children. Especially when you are debating a man's ability to do a job that has major influence - if you want to be taken seriously then start acting it.

Ignoring that, and ignoring his dingle connection and crap record (which I've touched upon in my earlier post anyway) I don't think we should judge him by his slagging of rovers fans either. A lot of managers did that because a lot of managers feel the need to defend their own. They shouldn't have because it might have been the case that they didn't know the full story but they did anyway. Besides, we are the bigger people and the past is in the past. He hasn't got a vendetta and it is in both his and our best interests that his time at the club is a success.

I can fully empathise with how disconnected you feel to BRFC. I can understand your resentment. I just think you should try and put that aside and start working towards the betterment of our club as opposed to simply slagging it off at every turn. If you feel so strongly about it then you should try and take a much more professional approach and attempt to change things.

Coyle should be judge on results here and nothing else.

So you are saying his results prior to here have been poor but that doesn't matter?

I'm assuming that's what you are saying, but regardless of admissions of Coyle's previously poor record, I'm still not sure I agree with the statement. Surely potentially being an SEM puppet, the suspect nature of his appointment, and the lies about the links with SEM might all be relevant factors in whether someone is happy with him as manager and indicative of whether it is a good appointment for us? If he turns out to be a puppet pushing someone else's agenda, is that ok, as long as he gets decent results? If so, why?

Also the logic of past performance not mattering is a bit nonsensical - why not sign me up, player or manager? If my history is irrelevant there's just as much cause for signing me up as anyone else. It's only my results when employed by Rovers that matter.

The whole referring to him as 'chimp head' and the slight digs just completely undermines your opinions. This isn't a playground and I'd like to think we are big enough and ugly enough to actually have a conversation without turning into children. Especially when you are debating a man's ability to do a job that has major influence - if you want to be taken seriously then start acting it.

Ignoring that, and ignoring his dingle connection and crap record (which I've touched upon in my earlier post anyway) I don't think we should judge him by his slagging of rovers fans either. A lot of managers did that because a lot of managers feel the need to defend their own. They shouldn't have because it might have been the case that they didn't know the full story but they did anyway. Besides, we are the bigger people and the past is in the past. He hasn't got a vendetta and it is in both his and our best interests that his time at the club is a success.

I can fully empathise with how disconnected you feel to BRFC. I can understand your resentment. I just think you should try and put that aside and start working towards the betterment of our club as opposed to simply slagging it off at every turn. If you feel so strongly about it then you should try and take a much more professional approach and attempt to change things.

Whilst I don't do name calling, I fail to see how a professional approach by fans or any attempt to try in a professional manner to change things will make any difference at all to the way they run things. They don't act like professionals or treat their customers with any respect. Their disrespect of us, their lying to us, their total disregard for our wishes, aspirations, hopes, dreams came first. If they put any of those at the forefront of their attempts to run our club they might earn some respect. Until then, whilst I don't do Abbey style name calling, I fail to see why I should accord them any credit whatsoever.

Whilst I don't do name calling, I fail to see how a professional approach by fans or any attempt to try in a professional manner to change things will make any difference at all to the way they run things. They don't act like professionals or treat their customers with any respect. Their disrespect of us, their lying to us, their total disregard for our wishes, aspirations, hopes, dreams came first. If they put any of those at the forefront of their attempts to run our club they might earn some respect. Until then, whilst I don't do Abbey style name calling, I fail to see why I should accord them any credit whatsoever.

I agree with you. I feel as disgusted by the actions of Venky's and their people as the next man. But my point was more that you can't expect your opinion to be taken on board when it includes name-calling like 'chimp head'. It discredits that opinion and gives them far more credibility than it gives us. The Venky's don't deserve any respect and certainly don't deserve any credit but we shouldn't lower ourselves to that level.

He's here now and like all managers he should be judged on results. I couldn't care less about his connection with Burnley the same as I didn't care when we signed the likes of Connelly, Blacklaw - both of whom were hugely popular with Rovers supporters. Burnley fans didn't care when they signed Keith Newton because he was brilliant for them. Managers are a breed apart and tend to stick together so no surprise when he supported Kean against fans protesting against him. I will judge Coyle on his performance as a manager for Blackburn Rovers and nothing more. Do I think he will be successful - no. But hopefully I'm proved wrong. At this stage, like most fans I talk to, I will support him, as I have done with all the managers - except one - who have had the job at Ewood.

I like this outlook. "Well yes there are lots of negatives but if we try and ignore them all then it's a positive."

Coyle's Burnley connections are not the problem. Nor is his primate shaped head.

However the fact he has an abysmal managerial record over the last 5 years, didn't fit the criteria we were looking for in a manager and wasn't even available when we were supposedly interviewing casts huge 'tantric' shadows over his appointment.

Let's hope for all our sakes that results on the pitch is his primary directive.

I agree with you. I feel as disgusted by the actions of Venky's and their people as the next man. But my point was more that you can't expect your opinion to be taken on board when it includes name-calling like 'chimp head'. It discredits that opinion and gives them far more credibility than it gives us. The Venky's don't deserve any respect and certainly don't deserve any credit but we shouldn't lower ourselves to that level.

hes the owd hags chimp headed puppet.

He's here now and like all managers he should be judged on results. I couldn't care less about his connection with Burnley the same as I didn't care when we signed the likes of Connelly, Blacklaw - both of whom were hugely popular with Rovers supporters. Burnley fans didn't care when they signed Keith Newton because he was brilliant for them. Managers are a breed apart and tend to stick together so no surprise when he supported Kean against fans protesting against him. I will judge Coyle on his performance as a manager for Blackburn Rovers and nothing more. Do I think he will be successful - no. But hopefully I'm proved wrong. At this stage, like most fans I talk to, I will support him, as I have done with all the managers - except one - who have had the job at Ewood.

Parson as I posted above. Is it just about results though IF he is here for nefarious purposes (and Imo his SEM links, denial of them and how he doesn't fit any of the selection criteria suggest he is) surely that has baring on whether we support him? You said all but one have support? What if this is another one?

Also would you be happy if I got the job - if it's all based on how I perform in the role and not past performance or experience

Agree the Burnley thing is irrelevant and only adding insult to injury because of his poor record and suspect connections.

Parson as I posted above. Is it just about results though IF he is here for nefarious purposes (and Imo his SEM links, denial of them and how he doesn't fit any of the selection criteria suggest he is) surely that has baring on whether we support him? You said all but one have support? What if this is another one?

Also would you be happy if I got the job - if it's all based on how I perform in the role and not past performance or experience

Agree the Burnley thing is irrelevant and only adding insult to injury because of his poor record and suspect connections.

I didn't support Kean because of the way in which Sam was sacked to make way for him. As for SEM links, at the end of the day if Coyle wins matches nobody is going to bother about who his agent was several years ago. His record with Burnley is the one thing that will have worked in his favour in terms of criteria. As I said, for the moment I'm prepared to back him although I fully expect it to end in tears before Christmas. Hopefully, I'm wrong and we defy the odds and are comfortable in mid-table. Without spending money, it is the best we can hope for.

So you are saying his results prior to here have been poor but that doesn't matter?

It's a strange argument he is making. By his logic, Rovers could have employed Ady Gallagher. relegated from Conference North, or Bob Bobbins-Bunkum, of the Dog and Duck .

Nobody could suggest it was a bad move because all that matters is the future and not their record, and they'd have at least 10 games before anyone could judge anyway.

Coyle does not have the track record to lead this club, by any measure, and the excuses being made simply continue to highlight how far this club has fallen. He has got the gig for whatever reason and we are now forced to put up with whatever he serves up, and for as long as he likes. I just hope he gets them off and running quickly because this club probably won't survive another Steve Kean episode.

I like this outlook. "Well yes there are lots of negatives but if we try and ignore them all then it's a positive."

Coyle's Burnley connections are not the problem. Nor is his primate shaped head.

However the fact he has an abysmal managerial record over the last 5 years, didn't fit the criteria we were looking for in a manager and wasn't even available when we were supposedly interviewing casts huge 'tantric' shadows over his appointment.

Let's hope for all our sakes that results on the pitch is his primary directive.

I'm not saying ignore the negatives, there are some, and in my original post I said I was one of his biggest doubters. I'm just saying his negatives aren't as big as people are making out.

I'm not saying ignore the negatives, there are some, and in my original post I said I was one of his biggest doubters. I'm just saying his negatives aren't as big as people are making out.

You are all over this site all of a sudden and your message is basically "keep calm and carry on, it's not as bad as you think.

Plenty said that when Kean was appointed.

I'm very suspicious of posters like you tbh.

It's a strange argument he is making. By his logic, Rovers could have employed Ady Gallagher. relegated from Conference North, or Bob Bobbins-Bunkum, of the Dog and Duck .

Nobody could suggest it was a bad move because all that matters is the future and not their record, and they'd have at least 10 games before anyone could judge anyway.

Coyle does not have the track record to lead this club, by any measure, and the excuses being made simply continue to highlight how far this club has fallen. He has got the gig for whatever reason and we are now forced to put up with whatever he serves up, and for as long as he likes. I just hope he gets them off and running quickly because this club probably won't survive another Steve Kean episode.

It's a strange argument but I'm all for it if it means that outside of football manager I have a shot of managing Rovers!

Seriously though it's not the way football or any industry works so it's ignoring reality. Teachers don't teach until they've done training, job adverts ask for CVs, there's an endless list. But in this one instance it doesn't seem to matter - strange is the word.

Dreams of 1995, on 07 Jul 2016 - 11:16 PM, said:

So failing in his last 3 jobs is pretty irrelevant. Given manager, after manager, has struggled and failed with us - and they before and since have had better records than Coyle (didn't Berg and Appleton both go on to win something/get promotion) Lambert has several promotions under his belt) surely that suggests it's a tough enough gig as it is without the handicap of being a poor manager, Also when was the last time a manager failed at three jobs then succeeded at the fourth? How many times does this happen? Statistics say we're in for a bumpy road.

How too is his - lied about - SEM links not a big deal either? Links to the agency that forced out a top class board and manager, and appointed the most hated Rovers manager ever? An agency that took millions in agency fees from Rovers in return for very little? How is that not a biggie?

On a similar note, how is the club, being very dishonest about a selection process - either through lying about what they were looking for or moving the goalposts - not a big concern. Even if it isn't indicative of the above agency's involvement (which I suggest it is) it shows the club are trying to hide things from fans. Now given their track record on their own of making muck ups when things were in the shadows - Shebby picking the team, Shebby vs. Agnew power struggle, Agnew going from program seller to CEO (Or the like), no communication with the manager - how can the suspicious/suspect nature of what they are doing now not be a cause for alarm?

I'll be honest I'm not sure what it would take for people to doubt whether Venkys and co have our best interests at heart and are a danger. Defecating on the pitch? Melting down Jack's statue? Changing the kit to chicken outfits? I'm not saying people shouldn't go, but I do wish that that fans with one strong united voice were able to say that what is happening is wrong.

Archived