BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Championship 2016/17 Season

We were relegated over 45 games. So were Birmingham.

Because of somebody deciding the rules don't matter (or the punishment is worth the risk) one of those teams was treated more favourably in their 46th game.

The fact Huddersfield are looking like being promoted makes their defeat to a relegation candidate all the more suspect.

It's really not that difficult. Perhaps people are a bit slow because nobody could be so glibly obtuse.

The funny thing is, the taunting comments being made are exactly what I'd expect from Burnley fans. I swear there are some people on here who are happy we got relegated and even delighted about the extra dimension contributed by Wagner so that they can gloat about it out of some need to try to appear smugly superior. When in fact they just appear smug.

Bizarre indeed. :rolleyes:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stuart said:

Because of somebody deciding the rules don't matter (or the punishment is worth the risk) one of those teams was treated more favourably.

It's really not that difficult. Perhaps people are a bit slow because nobody could be so glibly obtuse.

The funny thing is, the taunting comments being made are exactly what I'd expect from Burnley fans. I swear there are some people on here who are happy we got relegated and even delighted about the extra dimension contributed by Wagner so that they can gloat about it out of some need to try to appear smugly superior. When in fact they just appear smug.

Well said. Also my reading of the condesecing, patronising and smug attitude by the often confrontational.

6 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Their gaffer said Rhodes didn't fancy taking a pen. Jesus wept. Their fans ain't gonna be happy with that.

I was a big fan of Rhodes at Rovers but if he did that it's beyond pathetic. A striker refusing to take a penalty ffs.

However he was so bloody useless when he came on I suspect he knew he would miss. Shows comlete lack of spunk.

Another player who has lost his way on leaving mighty Rovers.....together with any pace that he may even theoretically have had before.

I'm in 2 minds about Huddersfield. Obviously after what they did v Birmingham I'd have no sympathy for them if they failed from here on in. 

On the other hand I always like the underdog to do well. They are a proper run club that haven't thrown money at it and 99/100 times I'd be rooting for a club like them to succeed.

It's another hole blown open in the Mike Cheston theory of football finance. Rovers can't compete and yet Huddersfield can reach the play off final with a much lower wage bill. I'd love a spreadsheet to explain that one Mike!

It's always satisfying listening to the biased Sky commentators as they are clearly gutted that Sheff Weds won't be joining the Premier League party yet again. They really do still cling to this obsession that they are a massive club. Massive clubs win things and don't spend 18 years in a row outside the top division.

Burnley v Huddersfield at Turf Moor isn't going to do the Sky marketing department any favours whilst advertising the 'best league in the world' packages.

Surely an embargo can't be far away for Wednesday after their recent spending? Oh wait, that would need the league to grow a backbone, instead it will go into a drawer along with Leicester and QPR.

8 hours ago, Stuart said:

Because of somebody deciding the rules don't matter (or the punishment is worth the risk) one of those teams was treated more favourably in their 46th game.

The fact Huddersfield are looking like being promoted makes their defeat to a relegation candidate all the more suspect.

Oh dear Stuart.

"It's really not that difficult." No it's not, yet you still don't get it. Huddersfield have been fully justified in their actions, and nobody with half an ounce of footballing knowledge begrudges them one bit. We got an easy ride that very same weekend, in a game we'd have lost a few weeks earlier.

To suggest other people "are a bit slow" seems a bit hypocritical when I consider some of the criticisms you've had of me in the past. Nobody is slow, they just think you're completely wrong. And with posts like the pathetic effort above, not many will be changing sides any time soon. 

The ruling on QPR is said to be due soon. Will it be the multi millions originally quoted? WIF.

QPR have adjusted their accounts and £60 million of the excess spent written off by the owner.

The EFL will be a might upset losing all that lunch money.

On last nights game I think Huddersfield were the better football team over the 2 legs so deserved the victory.

I would have preferred a SW v Fulham final but it should be an interesting one.

Who was the co-commentator on Sky? I am sure I heard him call Huddersfield by the name Leeds.

9 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Their gaffer said Rhodes didn't fancy taking a pen. Jesus wept. Their fans ain't gonna be happy with that.

That is embarrassing if true for a striker who had a pretty much perfect penalty record for us. Ironically the only one I recall hi missing was against Huddersfield. After leaving us he has never looked happy when I have seen him play.

Just now, arbitro said:

That is embarrassing if true for a striker who had a pretty much perfect penalty record for us. Ironically the only one I recall hi missing was against Huddersfield. After leaving us he has never looked happy when I have seen him play.

The fact it was Huddersfield may have played a part in his head. Poor from him if true. 

Wednesday approaching do or die next season. Teams can burn cash for a season or two, but if they don't get promoted the owners usually pull the plug. Villa likewise. 

Rhodes might be happy that Wednesday didn't go up. If they had he'd have been consigned to the bench for the majority of next season before they offloaded him back to the Championship in 6-12 months. At least in the Championship he's got a fair chance of plenty of game time next season, especially if his dad keeps his job on the coaching staff.

22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Rhodes might be happy that Wednesday didn't go up. If they had he'd have been consigned to the bench for the majority of next season before they offloaded him back to the Championship in 6-12 months. At least in the Championship he's got a fair chance of plenty of game time next season, especially if his dad keeps his job on the coaching staff.

Exactly my thoughts JHR.

10 hours ago, Stuart said:

Football is a squad game, any team, can pick any combination of players whenever they like.

Gone are the days of 11 players playing an entire season. 

With the amount of games in the Championship, players are very rarely fully fit. If they had played their full strength team several things could have happened:-

• They got beat
  • They got injured
  • They didn't put 100% effort in, saved themselves

They are not taunting comments, they are level headed comments, looking at a club who are everything we not. Structured on and off the pitch, giving respect to fans,an excellent season ticket deal with a bright forward thinking manager. 

Just now, Speedie Dived said:

Football is a squad game, any team, can pick any combination of players whenever they like.

They CAN do, but they would be punished because it's against the rules, and for good reason.

Just now, den said:

They CAN do, but they would be punished because it's against the rules, and for good reason.

You cannot be punished for not playing injured players, and that's simply what they will say.

Also, would they have been punished if they had played that team on the first game of the season?

The rule is a farce.

Just now, Speedie Dived said:

You cannot be punished for not playing injured players, and that's simply what they will say.

Also, would they have been punished if they had played that team on the first game of the season?

The rule is a farce.

Quite simply, all ten weren't injured. 

Im just replying to your point that clubs can play any team they want. They can't. They can lie about the reasons for that team selection, but that makes the offence even worse. 

It is ridiculous. It's a squad game. Managers should be allowed to play who they want if they are a registered squad member.

Many, many times on here over the years people have been saying "play the kids" when we had nothing to play for coming to the end of a season, without a thought for the teams in competition with who ever we might be playing.

We're down because of Venkys, Coyle, and some terrible footballers, not because of Huddersfield.

13 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

It is ridiculous. It's a squad game. Managers should be allowed to play who they want if they are a registered squad member.

Squad rotation has never been against the rules, but that's not what happened in this particular instance. 

2 hours ago, den said:

Squad rotation has never been against the rules, but that's not what happened in this particular instance. 

Quite correct, den. That said, it's a daft rule and if you have a squad of say thirty five players, you should be able to play who you want, when you want.

As AggyBlue mentioned, this cheating lark is ingrained in football and footballers and just reflects the society we live in, unfortunately.

When I played football, I took a throw in from the exact position the ball went out. If it was a free kick, I placed the ball where the offence took place, if I was marking someone at a corner, I kept my arms by my sides and so on. The modern day footballer will try and gain an advantage illegally almost without exception.

I don't like the way modern football is played. Tippy tappy, keep-the-ball-at-all- costs football. I have got to say, however, that Huddersfield played very well last night and not only did they keep the ball well, they also played it quickly from man to man with accuracy. I thought it was quite exciting to watch and felt they thoroughly deserved their win. By contrast, I thought Wednesday were aweful, seemingly without any sort of game plan. Much rather have Huddersfield in the PL and I don't bear them any grudges at all. 

2 hours ago, den said:

I am mystified as to why others avoid this fact which is what the complaint is all about.

Instead they wail on about how crap we are, Venky's, Coyle and other irrelevant matter.

It is about Wagner and what he did in 1 game v Brom. Nothing else.

It is avoided because the complaints are just.

Just now, Claytons Left Boot said:

Quite correct, den. That said, it's a daft rule and if you have a squad of say thirty five players, you should be able to play who you want, when you want.

As AggyBlue mentioned, this cheating lark is ingrained in football and footballers and just reflects the society we live in, unfortunately.

When I played football, I took a throw in from the exact position the ball went out. If it was a free kick, I placed the ball where the offence took place, if I was marking someone at a corner, I kept my arms by my sides and so on. The modern day footballer will try and gain an advantage illegally almost without exception.

I don't like the way modern football is played. Tippy tappy, keep-the-ball-at-all- costs football. I have got to say, however, that Huddersfield played very well last night and not only did they keep the ball well, they also played it quickly from man to man with accuracy. I thought it was quite exciting to watch and felt they thoroughly deserved their win. By contrast, I thought Wednesday were aweful, seemingly without any sort of game plan. Much rather have Huddersfield in the PL and I don't bear them any grudges at all. 

I suppose there is so much to be lost in the PL if results don't go ur way. Money from tv rights has a lot to do with it and some of these negatives that u point out are a result of this

Archived