BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liam Feeney

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Not great, barely good but better than Taylor, if they are similar wages then the squad is better off for that piece of business

After a couple of positive moves they always go and do something which raises the same old questions and suspicions again. Pointless signing as we are well covered in that area and a bit more imagination and effort could surely have unearthed a younger prospect from somewhere not this nearly 30 yr old mercenary on a TWO year contract.

This one was done the minute Coyle walked through the door, an agents signing. We are dishing out 2 year + contracts again to all unsundry but where is the investment in good young players ????

The vehicle keeps on giving......

After a couple of positive moves they always go and do something which raises the same old questions and suspicions again. Pointless signing as we are well covered in that area and a bit more imagination and effort could surely have unearthed a younger prospect from somewhere not this nearly 30 yr old mercenary on a TWO year contract.

This one was done the minute Coyle walked through the door, an agents signing. We are dishing out 2 year + contracts again to all unsundry but where is the investment in good young players ????

The first paragraph sums up my feelings really. Not sure it's a position we really needed to fill when our fullbacks are lacking and we're still short of a good keeper and another striker. It doesn't send out a great message to young Mahoney either. Just when the lad looked like he may break into the first team picture.

Still, he's here now and I suppose it's only fair to give him the opportunity to impress. But of the four brought in this one doesn't pique my interest at all. I'm not sure it even warrants a shrug to be honest.

Or we had 14 senior players and we needed to add some depth?

As Amamaryillo points out, we will be signing players on frees. The two year deals tend to sway players on frees above 1. I bet we could be more creative but I'm not convinced that they are "agent signings" as you say, in terms of how we did business with the Cumbernauld criminal in the seat.

Underwhelmed by this signing. Wasnt good enough last time, then turned us down for Bolton.

Hopefully Coyle will get more from him, but im not really into signing players unless they are better than what you already have, or have potential.

Every signing's going to be a free.

Is that a bad thing? as long as the quality of the players is good, remember the quality of the free/cheap signings that bowyer made when he took over(marrow, sonogo, varney, brown,... :blink: and before he left for that matter(petshi and koita, delf, anyone

You get that season ticket bought, stop talking sense :tu:

Not great, barely good but better than Taylor, if they are similar wages then the squad is better off for that piece of business

I think the comparison with Taylor is valid but I would have thought that Feeney will be on higher wages. Didn't Bolton send him to Ipswich to save on his wages as he was one of their higher earners? PLayers of his ilk should be on incentivised wages for appearances etc.

Or we had 14 senior players and we needed to add some depth?

As Amamaryillo points out, we will be signing players on frees. The two year deals tend to sway players on frees above 1. I bet we could be more creative but I'm not convinced that they are "agent signings" as you say, in terms of how we did business with the Cumbernauld criminal in the seat.

There's no depth with him though as we are very well stocked on that side plus he's a carbon copy of Bennett. Conway remains the best crosser at the club and with Lowe & Marshall both able to operate wide right it's pointless. Unless we are signing better than what we have for that position then like I said look for good up and coming younger players as back up to these guys.

Why not pay a small fee for a hungry up and comer and a modest wage rather than throw about 8/10k pwk for 2 years at this guy who's already flopped here and has had more clubs than your average golfer.

Add in the who ha about how and why Coyle got here and the fact this guy was done and dusted as soon as he came........

There's no depth with him though as we are very well stocked on that side plus he's a carbon copy of Bennett. Conway remains the best crosser at the club and with Lowe & Marshall both able to operate wide right it's pointless. Unless we are signing better than what we have for that position then like I said look for good up and coming younger players as back up to these guys.

Why not pay a small fee for a hungry up and comer and a modest wage rather than throw about 8/10k pwk for 2 years at this guy who's already flopped here and has had more clubs than your average golfer.

Add in the who ha about how and why Coyle got here and the fact this guy was done and dusted as soon as he came........

Firstly, Bennett isn't a carbon copy of Feeney IMO, from what I recall LF is a pace player - Bennett can play up top, in center or either flank.

I don't know much about his crossing, but you're probably right about Conway - however the only person to play JL right wing was Kean. He's a centre mid or backup RB - I think Marshall will be playing RB also.

Can only speculate on his wage but anyone who signed for Bolton in last few years can't have been on much. I agree about the preference would've been to pay a fee for a young winger, maybe someone like Gregg Wylde from Plymouth. Do we have the millions to pluck proven young championship players with a premier potential? When we had that, it went on 35k a week "friends".

Finally, like I said - we could be more creative and ambitious, much like we could've with the manager - that to me doesn't make it cut and dry as in "agent signing" nor does it make the other like that either. Danny Graham for instance is shrewd - we all wanted him to sign.

I'm talking about sourcing a player from lower down the leagues who might come with a price tag of say 200k plus a modest wage. It's what other clubs do and it's called investment. Doesn't always work but it wouldn't cost anymore than the Feeney contract.

On the comparison to Bennett I'm saying he's one dimensional just like EB with very little end product and first and foremost they are both right sided players and have many similarities without nit picking. On Lowe again I was referring to him being right footed and able to cover out wide if need be it's happened once or twice 'in game' after coco.

Even you'll have to admit we are well covered on the right yet crying out for players in other areas, ready made ones not back ups so this is another wasted wage IMO. I'd be horrified if it's top replace Marshall but maybe he will let Conway or Benno go, not what I would do but as said gaffers like their own men.

That brings me back to the agent thing as if you look at it going back we always seem to have one or two head scratching pointless signings turn up instead of covering other positions that desperately need it. Happened with Appleton & Bowyer and it comes at the cost of actually building a balanced first team, it's been happening for years.

This club repeatedly seems to accommodate uneeded players time and again after making one or two decent signings. Constantly leads to lopsided squads and here we are again. Surely all managers can't have that default setting ?

There's no point arguing it with me anyway because I'm convinced certain connections have license to regularly plant a player or two on our books. Far too much smoke floating about down the years for there not to be a flame flickering somewhere.

Archived