BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liam Feeney

Is that a bad thing? as long as the quality of the players is good, remember the quality of the free/cheap signings that bowyer made when he took over(marrow, sonogo, varney, brown,... :blink: and before he left for that matter(petshi and koita, delf, anyone

You might find the odd gem in the bargain bin but it's mostly crap. I'm not sure I have to explain how a zero budget hinders us. That's why Lambert bailed.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This club repeatedly seems to accommodate uneeded players time and again after making one or two decent signings. Constantly leads to lopsided squads and here we are again. Surely all managers can't have that default setting ?

There's no point arguing it with me anyway because I'm convinced certain connections have license to regularly plant a player or two on our books. Far too much smoke floating about down the years for there not to be a flame flickering somewhere.

Trimmed it because I went over the other bit really - I'm with you on the idea of investing, we could be way more creative and if the owners wanted to invest properly we'd stand a far better shot of signing quality.

I'm not arguing with you either, discussion. I just think it's more of an average with signings. Heck, Allardyce signed Linganzi and Goulon - teams have always had hits and misses.

When we first got relegated and prior (Rochina, Formica, Portugeezers, Murphy, Best, Etuhu etc. Etc) I think the gravy train brigade was in full force.

I think it's different now. The underwhelming and "circumstance fitting" (free or cheap, low wage) signings have been legit IMO. It's been said by Mani that GB had the ultimate say on players, any of those from January look dropped in?

I think Coyle has final say too, whilst he may have some interference - I'd expect people to call me paranoid for suggesting Feeney had been dropped in via agency! If we where banding big wages about again... I'd be much more worried about that sort of thing TP.

Again, to reiterate I'm not arguing with you either. Too many discussions end up that way but I'm genuinely just giving a my view post reading yours.

Has pace so gives us something we need.

With Feeney signing surely if Marshall is here then he play right back

No Feeney doesn't get a game if there is an alternative.

Trimmed it because I went over the other bit really - I'm with you on the idea of investing, we could be way more creative and if the owners wanted to invest properly we'd stand a far better shot of signing quality.

I'm not arguing with you either, discussion. I just think it's more of an average with signings. Heck, Allardyce signed Linganzi and Goulon - teams have always had hits and misses.

When we first got relegated and prior (Rochina, Formica, Portugeezers, Murphy, Best, Etuhu etc. Etc) I think the gravy train brigade was in full force.

I think it's different now. The underwhelming and "circumstance fitting" (free or cheap, low wage) signings have been legit IMO. It's been said by Mani that GB had the ultimate say on players, any of those from January look dropped in?

I think Coyle has final say too, whilst he may have some interference - I'd expect people to call me paranoid for suggesting Feeney had been dropped in via agency! If we where banding big wages about again... I'd be much more worried about that sort of thing TP.

Again, to reiterate I'm not arguing with you either. Too many discussions end up that way but I'm genuinely just giving a my view post reading yours.

It certainly won't be the feeding frenzy it was but there are still championship wages to be had for some who would otherwise be looking at league 1 contracts...

Anyway hopefully it's part of a strategic building exercise by Coyle, maybe even 3 up top although I'd much rather it be Marshall on the right side of that !

it's natural as a Rovers fan that when we sign a new player you immediately want to see the possibilities of them doing well because we want Rovers to do well but if you cast that aside for a minute you'd probably be thinking... If we sign relegation fodder then you that's the standard you'll play at. Hopefully Feeney will be an exception.

Ok then stand out wide if we are desperate.... :lol:

I think he can. If I was the manager I'd be telling him "Lowey, go wide... A bit further... Now sit down... Thats your position".

You might find the odd gem in the bargain bin but it's mostly crap. I'm not sure I have to explain how a zero budget hinders us. That's why Lambert bailed.

Well as long as you don't make a habit of signing the crap ones.., also i'm still sure that there would be money to spend on the right player at the right price, not to mention the fact that even though Oakes and Graham came on free transfers im pretty sure the deals for them inc. signing on fees, agents fees and salary's they will cost in the millions over the course their contracts(and I doubt theres too many other teams in this league that could afford them)

Something has seemed off about lambert, he jut seems a bit of a broken man and has done for a long time, I just don't think he has the hunger for a real challenge and just wants a job where he can throw money around.

Would have been a poor signing three years ago and I was glad when he left. Even poorer now. All by signed a while ago, looks like the delay in announcing it was to get a couple of promising players in first to soften the blow.

We need players who are going to improve the first team, not squad players so one has to assume he will be a starter in Coyle's eyes.

Marshall and/or Conway on their way out?

Would have been a poor signing three years ago and I was glad when he left. Even poorer now. All by signed a while ago, looks like the delay in announcing it was to get a couple of promising players in first to soften the blow.

We need players who are going to improve the first team, not squad players so one has to assume he will be a starter in Coyle's eyes.

Looks like it. Feeney doesn't improve the squad with Marshall and Conway in, so if any of those leave, it's a backwards step.

But no one's surprised.

Well as long as you don't make a habit of signing the crap ones.., also i'm still sure that there would be money to spend on the right player at the right price, not to mention the fact that even though Oakes and Graham came on free transfers im pretty sure the deals for them inc. signing on fees, agents fees and salary's they will cost in the millions over the course their contracts(and I doubt theres too many other teams in this league that could afford them)

Signing on fees, wages, etc. don't count when discussing transfer budgets. Every club pays those... although you're right that we seem to pay more than most in that regard. Funny that. :rock:

Something has seemed off about lambert, he jut seems a bit of a broken man and has done for a long time, I just don't think he has the hunger for a real challenge and just wants a job where he can throw money around.

Lambert wants a club that can match his ambitions. He reiterated several times that he didn't come to Rovers just to wallow in the Championship.

My fears too. Also would play Bennett ahead of him - stupid, stupid move because as anyone who has seen him play will attest - he's crap.

What hacks me off is That we know he can't hack it at this level. I've had some interesting discussions about how good Stokes and Henry will be (I'm sceptical)but in those debates there is an element of uncertainty - there's little recent championship experience to go on. There is a lot to go on in this case - namely failure here and since which suggest it's a move doomed to failure.

Lambert wants a club that can match his ambitions. He reiterated several times that he didn't come to Rovers just to wallow in the Championship.

And so do most managers, hes never going to get a big job now as his next club with that attitude, once reality sets in he will end up going to another Championship club thats more or less at the same level as us or going abroad.

The answer has to be "yes" or this signing makes no sense. Another step backwards.

If(and just if) he does well next season will you hold your hands up and admit to being wrong to judge him so harshly before the seasons even started?

You obviously don't set your sights too high TJ ! He was very poor last time, hes still poor, so god knows how he's going to do well especially playing under Coyle and Stewart though I'm sure Wheelock of the LT and any Kentaro SEM friendly journalist will be able to make him out to be OK.

They're just taking the pish out of Rovers and it's dwindling support base with this signing.

Archived