BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Holidays This Year

Used to be a good read this thread about where we are all off on holiday this summer.

Me and the Mrs are off on a walking break to the Yorkshire Dales next weekend prior to a September Mediterranean Cruise.

So come on then, where are we all going? this year?

• Moderation Lead

My mate is getting married in Greece next year, so nothing this year for me. Got a weekend in the Lakes in a couple of weeks, then going to London in October. Might try a city break over Christmas as well.

My mate is getting married in Greece next year, so nothing this year for me.

Same story for me. My brother is getting married in Cyprus next year and coupled with the final year of paying off a crippling divorce settlement and still feeling a bit unnerved after avoiding the Tunisian massacre by just a couple of days (we had stayed in that very hotel, sunbathed on those very beach sunbeds and chatted to some of the poor souls who perished), I've decided that my only 'holiday' this year will be a trip down to the Jam Exhibition in Liverpool and a few days catching up with family and friends in East Lancashire.

• Backroom

On Saturday I get the train to Glasgow meeting my best mate, then we fly to Iceland for 10 days. Really looking forward to it :D

Then at the end of August, I'm in Cornwall with my gf and her family. The wknd after that we're having a long wknd in Keswick with my family.

Waiting till September, then hopefully flying to Ukraine to see the in-laws and old friends (first time in six years). Just got to handle the logistics of taking a 8 month-old with us as well...

• Backroom

Moved our next DisneyWorld trip to next year now with the arrival of the smallest Marsland so we are just doing a few days at Legoland and chessington in August to avoid flying.

On Thursday, off on a boat trip round the Outer Hebrides and to St Kilda if the sea conditions allow us to moor there. If not, it'll just be a week round the Isle of Lewis and a mixture of other islands.

In September we're off to Vancouver where we pick up a cruise liner to sail up the inner passage (ooh err) to the southern part of Alaska. We take in the usual stops at Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway before returning to Vancouver then continuing down to San Diego near the Mexican border. Two nights there and then we catch a train to LA for the flight home. Should be special, can't wait.

On Saturday I get the train to Glasgow meeting my best mate, then we fly to Iceland for 10 days. Really looking forward to it :D

Let me know how you get on, Mike. We're planning to go there next year at some point. After going to Norway at least a dozen times over the years, I'm keen to sample another Scandinavian country. The only downside will be the cost of a beer, probably £8 or so for a pint.

How much does it cost ABS?

Not sure .. Will pm if it's genuine on weds night when I get home .. If I remember about 1800 two weeks but been on pop so may not be ha

Alykenes this year .. Been laganas and alykes

• 2 weeks later...

Fancy Croatia for a change.

Jet2 go direct from Manchester to Pula, Split, and Dubrovnik, while Ryanair go to Zadar, all dirt cheap and all seaside resort towns. Jet2 also do package holidays now. Bloke at work spent £2K on a package holiday with them, whereby Thomas Cook or Thomson were trying to charge £3K for the exact same package. I also have a £60 off voucher at home somewhere if anyone wants it.

I've only been to Zagreb before (no direct flights from Manchester), but I've heard great things about the seaside towns. Lovely beaches and scenery, great food, cheap booze, etc. Croatia has a huge Italian influence, so the food is half the price and twice as nice, naturally.

Go. It's good.

Let me know how you get on, Mike. We're planning to go there next year at some point. After going to Norway at least a dozen times over the years, I'm keen to sample another Scandinavian country. The only downside will be the cost of a beer, probably £8 or so for a pint.

I'm in Iceland at the moment. A wonderful, wonderful country and fabulous people. The place is so calm even the tourists are relaxed - if you get my drift. There seem to be two approaches to Iceland - spend two weeks driving the circular tour or stay in one or two centres and make day trips. We chose the later and from what I've seen and heard trying to see the whole country on a two week tour is very tough going.

We've used three centres - just north of Selfoss to visit the Golden Circle and along the south coast as far as Jokulsaron. Three nights in Borgarnes to visit the Snaefellsnes peninsular and now two nights in Reykjavik and three just outside the city to explore this area. Reykjavik itself is a very cool and vibrant city.

Be prepared for the top tourist spots to be very busy. Places like Geysir and Gulfoss are blitzed - I didn't enjoy either. Everywhere else is quiet. Huge numbers of Chinese and American tourists in the top spots. Apparently flights from the USA are as little as $99

Hotel accommodation of a decent standard is difficult to find and very expensive. Many we checked were around £150/room per night at pre £ crash and would be even more now. We used AirBnB and have paid £35/45 ppn for very high standard accommodation - I can happily make some recommendations.

Everything is very expensive, everywhere. You have to just bite the bullet and get on with it. Even worse since the leave vote. I haven't managed to understand how Icelanders manage as average income is similar to the UK.

We've had ten days of beautiful sunshine, shorts and T shirts on some days. Yesterday though was cold and wet. You need to travel with an English winter in mind if visiting in summer. Long sleeved base layers are essential in my view.

Tourism impact is high in this country with such a delicate ecology and environment. Staying off the literally beaten track of major tourism provides a much better experience IMV.

You need to like lamb and "fish of the day" 😀

Apologies Mike only just got back in after a long day in the National Museum. Tomorrow we are probably hiking before an early flight - have to leave for airport around 6.00

Just wondering if I'm the only person that doesn't bother with travel insurance. :huh:

I estimate I've saved over a grand in recent years.

Anyway, my holiday this year might involve a week back in Blackburn and possibly several days in Blackpool :tu:

Archived