BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

At least Hanley going should see the end of the old FFP excuse which we've already heard from Cheston this summer.

£5.5m straight profit on an academy player should give some headway for wages spend in the accounts.

If only we could rely on the local newspaper/reporters to get stuck into Cheston the next time he appears and apply pressure. Sadly there's no chance of that happening, they'll just print rubbish from Kevin Gallacher about how wonderful Newcastle is and what a brilliant, fantastic, massive club our captain is leaving to join.

The £5.5 million will go the same way as all the other money. into a big black hole with nobody taking responsibility. Same as the Rochina money which you can be sure the club will ignore and pretend they never got so as to avoid having to spend any of it.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't knock him!

Why not he is a bit dotty.

When Hanley's move was first mooted I thought £3m hopefully 4. Then all of a sudden there was talk of £8m - £10m which seemed crazy but was seemingly enough to raise expectations to unrealistic levels.

Comparing him todingle Keane who's been valued at 15mil, I think we got done.

When you've an accountant like Cheston running the show it's all about the cash. He couldn't give a shiny sh1te how good the player is as it's not about his worth on the field just his cash value.

They live and die by the finance, the performance of the team means little hence Cheston's hissy fit on the boycotting fans. Expect this to continue until the well is dry then Cheston will be off, no danger.

Like I said, my old boss told me, when you've accountants running the business only way you are.going is down. He was an accountant. I was Manufacturing Manager for a machine shop and sub assembly facility with 120 employees. Semi conductor industry, fast paced, constant change, it seemed I spent half my day explaining "variances" to accountants. All jobs had a production an but one could not always follow that you had to be flexible to meet custo.er demand, heh heh accountant can't handle that. It's a red and black world to them, no vision none.

100% agreed...this guy has been lamented as not being good enough for years. Cryer is bitter as always but tbf he is on the money about Hanley...he does have a mistake in him, he is slow and he 'lead' us to a 17th place finish in his best ever season. He's pretty average all in all. Baptiste as he was last time at Rovers will easily fill that void...which kind of proves the the price tag for Hanley is inflated.

All of this just depends on what Coyle is given to replace Hanley and further enhance the squad.

Coyle will be given nothing, he's here because of his ins and because he will toe the line, that's all.

Like I said, my old boss told me, when you've accountants running the business only way you are.going is down. He was an accountant. I was Manufacturing Manager for a machine shop and sub assembly facility with 120 employees. Semi conductor industry, fast paced, constant change, it seemed I spent half my day explaining "variances" to accountants. All jobs had a production an but one could not always follow that you had to be flexible to meet custo.er demand, heh heh accountant can't handle that. It's a red and black world to them, no vision none.

Coyle will be given nothing, he's here because of his ins and because he will toe the line, that's all.

Oh well that clears it up then. Thanks 👍🏽

Everyone knows barring injuries a centre half gets better later in their career. So how the hell can people excuse selling him because he was hit and miss a couple of years ago. A good manager will further improve him and they'll end up with a great signing. For years Rovers fans have trotted out the line ' it's a lot of money for him' whenever we sold our star player. The Club will further decline if we don't even put up a fight against rival clubs.

Shocking that Gallacher going on about how big and great of a club Newcastle is. Maybe we can have Shearer write us up a column on how it must be a dream come true for Hanley to go to such a behemoth of a club. Gallacher has lost my respect - he should be on our side not glorifying them. That is OUR paper telling OUR players how good a move to Newcastle will be. Another sad sign of what we have become.

Quite frankly, and I don't think some will agree with me on this, but I think Grant Hanley is a bit of a pig for what he has done. People on twitter, facebook or whatever all seem to be praising him for his loyalty and his effort. What loyalty? He hasn't stayed with us for years by turning down other clubs - he stayed with us because no one else wanted him. We have stayed loyal to him through his up and coming years. The moment he has a good season he's off and I can't see any sign of regret. He has shown no loyalty whatsoever. I thought he owed us at least another season after all we had put into him and then secured his move to a PL club after that. Although it's a regret to lose another player, especially our captain and player of the year, good riddance to the swine.

I am sick to death of losing our best players. It's year after year. We've got no communication, no direction, no nothing. Just year upon year of downgrading. If we don't reinvest this money then I will have lost complete faith in this club. We are becoming a laughing stock. Pains me to see the unwashed retweeting our losses with utter joy. Cheston alluded to the fact that most of this money will be used to cover our 'debts', created by the loons that own us, whereas meanwhile we are meant to swallow it all and continue like normal. He's quickly become another cog in this machine that's sole purpose is to see our Club destroyed completely.

No answers have been given as to why Coyle accepted this offer despite him claiming the first was 'miles off the mark'. No communication has been made to tell us of our future plans - ARE WE BRINGING ANOTHER DEFENDER IN???? - and by the looks of it Coyle intends on making Lowe the next captain. God help us.

Right now, as of this moment, I'd be happy to grab a pitch fork and a burning stick and march on Ewood. I wouldn't leave without that fat cows head on a stick and that fat devil of a man in chains slowly behind me. If karma is real then those 3 prats from Pune will soon contract something dreadful and die in a fate far worse than ours.

Rant over. Needed to be done on here as there is no way of getting any sort of message through to our club. If Cheston does read these boards, like people say, take a run and jump you blood sucking parasite

• Backroom

Could be off here as I don't frequent the board as much as I used to, but I swear I haven't seen him get one right as of yet, and I'm not saying that to be harsh - just seems to be my observations!

The only genuine 'itk' posters on here, to my knowledge, are Kamy and unleaded, neither of whom frequent the boards much any more. Oh, and mercer, of course ;)

Why didn't Newcastle look for someone cheaper then? They obviously see something in him. I can't see Coyle getting more than £500k if he is really, really lucky. And we need two centre halves, a left back, possibly a goalkeeper and certainly a midfielder if we want to have ourselves a full bench. I think Duffy will want out now Hanley's going and if that happens, I can't see Marshall wanting to stay in a team so devoid of quality and ambition. Worry we are going to look much worse off in a few weeks time.

Bingo. Newcastle are buying an experienced championship defender, with lots of games and still young.

We will bring in a gamble of a cheap youngster (probably from League One), a late thirties no-better-than-Kilgallon former name, or another loan.

Hanley wasn't all that but we are now worse off.

Am I in a minority believing that this is a good deal?

We have Duffy, Ward is good cover for the time being Wharton is behind and we still have business to do.

Personally I would be happy to trade Elliot Bennett for Tommy Smith who is solid for the championship and then make a move for James Forrest at a cut price.

We have Duffy, Ward is good cover for the time being Wharton is behind and we still have business to do.

Personally I would be happy to trade Elliot Bennett for Tommy Smith who is solid for the championship and then make a move for James Forrest at a cut price.

yes

Yes. A very small minority.

Which part of 'THE MONEY WILL NOT BE REINVESTED IN REPLACEMENT PLAYERS' are you having the biggest difficulty with?

Scott Wharton is not ready to play week in, week out in a competitive championship. He's a young lad whose family can't quite believe he's made it this far and should be left to develop properly before being forced into the first team

Which part of 'THE MONEY WILL NOT BE REINVESTED IN REPLACEMENT PLAYERS' are you having the biggest difficulty with?

I am enjoying the mini meltdown that Rovers fans have on a constant basis week in and week out...People leave and people come in it is all part of football. Some money (No matter how little will be kept for transfers). Whether it be to pay a players salary, paying agents or anything else.

Yes

This is what I don't get. Any player - good uns like Hanley and Marshall, villains like Lowe, even bad ones who go, we are worse off without them if we don't replace them with better.

As it is we now need a left back, at least 1 striker, and a centre back as a bare minimum to function, and that's before we start improving the team or squad. Coyle has a lot of work to do to make sure this squad is functioning, much less the lauded ambition of competitive (since when did that become an objective - that is a given, if it isn't we might as well all go home.)

I am enjoying the mini meltdown that Rovers fans have on a constant basis week in and week out...People leave and people come in it is all part of football. Some money (No matter how little will be kept for transfers). Whether it be to pay a players salary, paying agents or anything else.

Glad you're enjoying it.

I'm sure some money will be used, but that's not the same as to whether it is sufficient, is it?

For example let's say I need a family car to cart around a wife and two kids. If I sell the existing one for £5k but only invest £500 and can only get a 2 seater smart car, then the reinvestment is clearly inadequate for what is needed and cannot do the job. I don't think that excuse I've reinvested some of it would wash very well with the wife.

That's what is happening at Rovers, only rather than a smart car we're chucking a few quid at getting a shopping trolley instead.

This is what I don't get. Any player - good uns like Hanley and Marshall, villains like Lowe, even bad ones who go, we are worse off without them if we don't replace them with better.

As it is we now need a left back, at least 1 striker, and a centre back as a bare minimum to function, and that's before we start improving the team or squad. Coyle has a lot of work to do to make sure this squad is functioning, much less the lauded ambition of competitive (since when did that become an objective - that is a given, if it isn't we might as well all go home.)

I agree with you completely to me on the surface however based on the ins and out of this window so far the team has improved. It isn't finished their is a big void to be filled in with Hanley heading off but nothing that cannot be done

i heard some some stuff on here but MINI MELTDOWN....speechless.

I would really like to see the what the last 6 years have been.

I agree with you completely to me on the surface however based on the ins and out of this window so far the team has improved. It isn't finished their is a big void to be filled in with Hanley heading off but nothing that cannot be done

Hmm bold statement.

Let's compare from beginning of last season to this one:

Up front: Rhodes, Defly, Koita and Brown or Graham and Stokes - without getting into a Rhodes debate both now and then we had 1 top class championship reliable scorer. Stokes will probably be better than the trio supporting Rhodes last season - hard not to be - but we're woefully short of numbers, and I'm not sure how much better he will actually be. The lack of other options is a real problem, probably making us stronger in first 11, weaker as a squad s probably even imo. (Also I'd much rather have King or Gestede here than Stokes, so compared with the end of the season before, we are definitely weaker but that's me moving the goal posts.)

Midfield: No doubt about it the City lad gives us something different and adds to it. Probably an improvement. Depends if we lose anyone though. If Marshall goes, I'd say it may be even or a loss, given his replacement would be Feeney. Also given we lost Cairney last summer, realistically this only brings us back to where we were in terms of options. Again, I think, the lad will be better than Cairney, so possibly better off, but the lack of a player being permanent here makes me think long term we're not as ahead as it may seem.

Defense: Definitely worse off. Henry or Olsson - Olsson every time, proven at this level. Also missing back up in Spurr. We're also minus two experienced reliable centre backs and even with an addition or two it'll be less quality than we had before. Definitely weaker.

So compared to a year ago, I'd say we're probably the same, if not a bit worse. Improvements in midfield and up front are undone by massively weakening the defense and small squad size. I'd also say we're definitely worse off than the end of Bowyer's last full season, but that opportunity has been and gone.

Archived