SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Claiming the total Hanley fee with add-ons is ONLY nearly £6m

"The fee could rise to nearer the £6m mark, with add-ons set to be included in the final agreement."

So much for the Venky apologistas saying they always hold out for top dollah!

Claiming the total Hanley fee with add-ons is ONLY nearly £6m

"The fee could rise to nearer the £6m mark, with add-ons set to be included in the final agreement."

So much for the Venky apologistas saying they always hold out for top dollah!

If you were a Newcastle fan would you be jumping through hoops now believing you'd got an absolute bargain? Honestly?

Lads, I know we're kind of working ourselves up about this fee but the issue isn't the amount. Grant Hanley is a decent centre half and £5.5m rising to £6m is plenty for him. Full stop. The issue is who we replace him with and what Coyle is allowed to spend....surely?

Lads, I know we're kind of working ourselves up about this fee but the issue isn't the amount. Grant Hanley is a decent centre half and £5.5m rising to £6m is plenty for him. Full stop. The issue is who we replace him with and what Coyle is allowed to spend....surely?

When Hanley's move was first mooted I thought £3m hopefully 4. Then all of a sudden there was talk of £8m - £10m which seemed crazy but was seemingly enough to raise expectations to unrealistic levels.

I'm honestly not sure what determines fees for players these days. On the face of it it represents decent business but when I have to Google foreigners who have signed for English clubs for massive fees I shake my head at the lack of pedigree.

When you've an accountant like Cheston running the show it's all about the cash. He couldn't give a shiny sh1te how good the player is as it's not about his worth on the field just his cash value.

They live and die by the finance, the performance of the team means little hence Cheston's hissy fit on the boycotting fans. Expect this to continue until the well is dry then Cheston will be off, no danger.

You'd have thought though that a current international and club captain who will only get better would have fetched a bit more, especially as he could well be in the Prem in 12 months. There is a premium on British players too. Maybe Hanley really was being an arse, and maybe it was he who decided to put the bandage on his knee, although there was nothing wrong with him. If he was faking injury to push through a move then the club probably had no choice but to accept a lower offer than they hoped. It isn't unheard of.

Just a thought, before anybody gets 'happy-clappy' on my 'arris

When Hanley's move was first mooted I thought £3m hopefully 4. Then all of a sudden there was talk of £8m - £10m which seemed crazy but was seemingly enough to raise expectations to unrealistic levels.

100% agreed...this guy has been lamented as not being good enough for years. Cryer is bitter as always but tbf he is on the money about Hanley...he does have a mistake in him, he is slow and he 'lead' us to a 17th place finish in his best ever season. He's pretty average all in all. Baptiste as he was last time at Rovers will easily fill that void...which kind of proves the the price tag for Hanley is inflated.

All of this just depends on what Coyle is given to replace Hanley and further enhance the squad.

You'd have thought though that a current international and club captain who will only get better would have fetched a bit more, especially as he could well be in the Prem in 12 months. There is a premium on British players too. Maybe Hanley really was being an arse, and maybe it was he who decided to put the bandage on his knee, although there was nothing wrong with him. If he was faking injury to push through a move then the club probably had no choice but to accept a lower offer than they hoped. It isn't unheard of.

Just a thought, before anybody gets 'happy-clappy' on my 'arris

The club hasn't been forced into anything. They've been actively trying to offload our prized assets for more than a year now. They can hardly complain when one of the few remaining decent players wants to leave and pushes to achieve it asap.

Marshall and Duffy next, no doubt the club will then play the victims because they are out of contract in 12 months and so they have to sell them now, when actually if the club had been proactive and shown ambition months ago they could both have been tied down to long term deals by now.

• Moderation Lead

Hanley is still young and plays every game for Scotland. When you consider that and what other defenders of a similar age are going for, then we should have had more for sure. Possibly not too much more, but I can't help but feel Newcastle with all their parachute money will be delighted to have secured Hanley for that money.....

The club hasn't been forced into anything. They've been actively trying to offload our prized assets for more than a year now. They can hardly complain when one of the few remaining decent players wants to leave and pushes to achieve it asap.

Marshall and Duffy next, no doubt the club will then play the victims because they are out of contract in 12 months and so they have to sell them now, when actually if the club had been proactive and shown ambition months ago they could both have been tied down to long term deals by now.

Don't disagree, my point was they might have been 'forced' to accept a lower offer.

The contract situation of Marshall and Duffy is a digrace and the result of ignorant, short-sighted owners..

How do we know how much the barcodes bid for Hanley when the comments out of Rovers were that it wasn't close to being enough? We don't, we just seem to believe it was 4.5m to 5m.

That 5m could have included all potential add ons such as an extra 1m when big head is spotted bladdered in the big market with some local gals.

Everything that comes out of the press/clubs regarding potential transfers is all speculation, no club ever admits to what they paid or received these days.

Given the level I believe Hanley to be at then 5.5m plus a bit more seems a good deal to me, if that is what we have got.

Doesn't mean I am happy that we have sold one of our better players, sad indictment of our position I suppose, but I think the club has got a decent deal, as someone mentioned previously, would we be happy to have spent 5.5m on him?

Doubts about whether any of this money will be reinvested directly in the squad, but come on, we've all seen or heard of the financial position the club is in, the money is needed from an accounting point of view to keep us in line with the financial regulations, if we spunked it all on players and added further wages we'd all be in uproar regarding the poor financial running of the club.

Some seem to want to have their cake and eat it at the minute.

We are where we are due to terrible management of the club from own owners and their advisors, can't change that at the minute unfortunately, we have to get on with things, try and make things better and hope that the future is brighter than the past 5 years, it wouldn't be hard.

All of this just depends on what Coyle is given to replace Hanley and further enhance the squad.

Further enhance??? The squad hasn't been enhanced since these tosspots came in.....are you trying to suggest that coyle will be given it all to replace him? If so, you're fast entering the twilight zone of the Chaddy.

Further enhance??? The squad hasn't been enhanced since these tosspots came in.....are you trying to suggest that coyle will be given it all to replace him? If so, you're fast entering the twilight zone of the Chaddy.

Don't go there Ribble, Mani has his head so far up venkys jacksys he won't be able to hear u anyway

Whilst I am very very disappointed that Hanley has gone, looking at it from a purely academic point of view, £5.5 million for a player most of us would, until the end of this season driven to the Metro Centre ourselves is a decent deal.

That said, in our current predicament it's dreadful, you could argue Hanley is priceless due to the total lack of talent/bodies we currently have at our disposal!

Blimey, if some think Hanley is slow and error prone then wait til you watch his replacement play week in week out next season - whoever that may be! There's a reason why somebody like Rafa Benitez is so determined to sign him.

To be fair, he has been working with Taylor and Collocinni so even an error prone Hanley would be an upgrade on those two jokers.

The club hasn't been forced into anything. They've been actively trying to offload our prized assets for more than a year now.

They've been selling our better players for 6 years JH. It was their plan when they arrived and it's still their plan. They were sold the club on the premise that they needed to put virtually nothing in and they've never changed their minds on that.

Hanley is still young and plays every game for Scotland. When you consider that and what other defenders of a similar age are going for, then we should have had more for sure. Possibly not too much more, but I can't help but feel Newcastle with all their parachute money will be delighted to have secured Hanley for that money.....

We sold a striker who can't get into the Scotland team for £8-10m so I wouldn't use the international scene as a basis for any price guide.

100% agreed...this guy has been lamented as not being good enough for years. Cryer is bitter as always but tbf he is on the money about Hanley...he does have a mistake in him, he is slow and he 'lead' us to a 17th place finish in his best ever season. He's pretty average all in all. Baptiste as he was last time at Rovers will easily fill that void...which kind of proves the the price tag for Hanley is inflated.

"Further enhance the squad"!! Bloody hell Mani.

What a wind-up.

• Moderation Lead

We sold a striker who can't get into the Scotland team for £8-10m so I wouldn't use the international scene as a basis for any price guide.

I suppose the point I was making was that he's been in the national team for a while, he's been one of the best centre halves in this division for a while now. I'd say £8 Million would have been about what I would have expected all things considered.

Archived