SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RV Blue said:

Remember when people said Murphy would rip up the Championship? Whittingham does seem to be made of better stuff than that pillock but I will forever be wary of players needlessly dropping down a division. 

There is that. But I do get the feeling the guy just wants to be playing week in week out. Dropped out fo favor and is bench at best at Cardiff now (though many of their fans feel he should be starting). Perhaps he wants a crack at some kind of silverware in his career (even if it is potentially only a League 1 championship) and feels he has a better chance of that by coming here than at another midtable Championship side.

I dunno - plenty of time for to get disappointed on this anyway.

Just now, JacknOry said:

There is that. But I do get the feeling the guy just wants to be playing week in week out. Dropped out fo favor and is bench at best at Cardiff now (though many of their fans feel he should be starting). Perhaps he wants a crack at some kind of silverware in his career (even if it is potentially only a League 1 championship) and feels he has a better chance of that by coming here than at another midtable Championship side.

I dunno - plenty of time for to get disappointed on this anyway.

The bookies have us as favourites for the title so some may see is as a good destination to play games and win a lot.The facilities at the club are still great and the manager is respected so hopefully with reasonable investment we'll get decent bodies in (I do hope that turns out to be the case).

Peter Whittingham is a great signing in my eyes but I hope he isn't a replacement for Charlie Mulgrew. In an ideal world I would like to keep both of them. League One is a league where you need fighters and characters and specifically Leadership. With Whittingham and Mulgrew I would feel relatively happy with the balance in the squad. It is a good addition for the creative midfield area something we have been lacking for years. With regards to Danny Murphy if I am not mistaken he was 35 when he joined us so his legs were gone. Whittingham is 32 a 2 year deal for me is about fair seeing for what he has achieved. 

I would like to keep an eye on James Vaughan, Liam Boyce, Jason Cummings as a striker. Gary Mackay Steven would be a great addition as well. I would try to trade Stokes for Cummings in a heartbeat. 

Just now, Pedro said:

The bookies have us as favourites for the title so some may see is as a good destination to play games and win a lot.The facilities at the club are still great and the manager is respected so hopefully with reasonable investment we'll get decent bodies in (I do hope that turns out to be the case).

Yeah and a signing like this will be a bit of a statement and help to attract others as well.

Plus Conway is here who he used to be teamates with.

Just now, roverstdt said:

Peter Whittingham is a great signing in my eyes but I hope he isn't a replacement for Charlie Mulgrew. In an ideal world I would like to keep both of them. League One is a league where you need fighters and characters and specifically Leadership. With Whittingham and Mulgrew I would feel relatively happy with the balance in the squad. It is a good addition for the creative midfield area something we have been lacking for years. With regards to Danny Murphy if I am not mistaken he was 35 when he joined us so his legs were gone. Whittingham is 32 a 2 year deal for me is about fair seeing for what he has achieved. 

I would like to keep an eye on James Vaughan, Liam Boyce, Jason Cummings as a striker. Gary Mackay Steven would be a great addition as well. I would try to trade Stokes for Cummings in a heartbeat. 

Any bids coming in for ANY of our players and they will be gone. But agree Mulgrew would probably be at the top of my list of players to stay.

2 hours ago, OJRovers said:

Maybe the "man's promise" by Balaji was real.

If money is made available you've got to ask why it wasn't available for the last 2 years in the championship.

Good season at the bookies ? :)

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Bloody right it will be, their lack of support has put us in the third division!

Ya, we can all acknowledge that. However post after post repeating this with every new signing we make this summer, will get pretty tiring. 

Mowbray has hopefully found a way to speak to those morons in India. Bowyer was too timid, Lambert jumped ship at the thoughts of it and I am surprised Coyle manages to dress himself in the morning, let alone deal with Venkys. 

To be honest credit to Mowbray, but this isn't rocket science. I work for a huge multi national and am regularly in London, Milan and Paris, as I cover these areas. A colleague of mine does the same job as me, but she deals with India and she is over there at least once a month. Modern business is like this. If Mowbray has to go over now and again, what about it? I am sure he gets a business class flight over and gets to stay in a nice hotel. He seems like a practical and dedicated man. It appears that he sees this approach as the best way to get things done and I think it will be. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, we can all acknowledge that. However post after post repeating this with every new signing we make this summer, will get pretty tiring. 

I hear this kind of attitude all the time - and not just in football. It's why Venkys have got away with what they have.

If things are @#/? and those who can affect it ignore it for long enough people get bored of hearing it and switch off.

The outcome: disillusionment, apathy, and ultimately failure.

The fact is that what MattylBLue says is true. Why the hell did we not spend any money in January when relegation was a big possibility? Instead we get relegated and then spend close to a mllion (that might just have kept us up) on some expensive bookeepers to see where they can save money.

This has not even happened yet, so we still only have the words of TM to go on about being backed and we know just how they like to go back on their words to managers. I hope they finally do make a swift change in attitude but history tells us they wont.

I imagine right now its the same case as many times before. TM will perhaps have spoken to the player (possibily even convinced him to sign) and now the long and drawn out process of getting hold of, and clearing the transfer with the owners will drag on so long that the players opts to go to Bristol City, Forest or Birmingham (who are all interested)

Just now, Stuart said:

I hear this kind of attitude all the time - and not just in football. It's why Venkys have got away with what they have.

If things are @#/? and those who can affect it ignore it for long enough people get bored of hearing it and switch off.

The outcome: disillusionment, apathy, and ultimately failure.

They have gotten away with it because the trust sold them the club and the FA have turned a blind eye to the sh!t that has gone on here,not because a fan says they are sick of every single discussion turning into a negative moanfest. 

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They have gotten away with it because the trust sold them the club and the FA have turned a blind eye to the sh!t that has gone on here,not because a fan says they are sick of every single discussion turning into a negative moanfest. 

"Negative moanfest". Classic divert and ignore  tactic.

25,000 ------> 8,000

Says different.

I'll be frustrated, as will be many others if it takes a drop to League 1 for the the owners to back a manager.

It isn't a 'negative moanfest' just how we'll feel and we don't need bigdog's permission to say it.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I'll be frustrated, as will be many others if it takes a drop to League 1 for the the owners to back a manager.

It isn't a 'negative moanfest' just how we'll feel and we don't need bigdog's permission to say it.

They have backed managers. The problem was who the managers were. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

They have backed managers. The problem was who the managers were. 

I'm not just doing this to be argumentative (honest!) but "the problem" was, is, and always will be Venkys.

On 30 May 2017 at 18:21, frosty said:

Mid June and we have how many players left with more than a few appearances at FT level?

Deja vu of last year, what date did coyle sign his first player? He was in a similar situation.

i recall Venkys relegation statement sorry Chestons saying they'd already begun plans... Here we are almost six weeks later and there has been zip zilch nothing 

It really is like the past 7 years haven't happened to some of you. We have spent 250k in transfers over 3 years while bringing in over 30m. What makes you think we will sign anyone of decent quality?

Just now, J*B said:

It really is like the past 7 years haven't happened to some of you. We have spent 250k in transfers over 3 years while bringing in over 30m. What makes you think we will sign anyone of decent quality?

Law of averages?

Pot luck?

A good player just making a career mistake?

The fact I pay hard cash to local Monks to pray it happens?

Damm fine win by Bangaladesh in the Cricket!

Good night all I have had a few and of to bed.:)

Archived