BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] "walk With Birdy" - 18/75 Protest - Wolves Sky Game

Stuart

Where?

You're getting to be a crabby old man Gav. Midlands doesn't agree with you!

You could be right pal...

Just back in Lancs now though, not sure my mood is going to improve much over the next 24/48hrs 😉

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me there are three types of Rovers matchgoers in 2016;

1) Activists; small in number, but will be the ones organising flag days, murals, protests and so on. Perhaps partial to a bit of brfcs.com

2) Fans that are absolutely gutted with the way the club has gone, but see their role to support regardless- this is a fallow period for a club that has experienced them before, yes it was all avoidable, but we are where we are. Many of this group wouldn't protest themselves, but have no issue with it, just probably think it will fall on deaf ears. Plenty of my peers are in that boat.

3) 'There's none so blind as those who will not see'- For me the most frustrating crew. 'Venky's were badly advised, they are trying to turn it around', 'it was the fans that got us relegated last time', 'Wolves is the most important game in our history, how dare you walk out the ground on 75 mins', 'we are a small club, this is our level'. Struggled to fathom them in 2011, defintely can't now.

I think that 2-3 years ago I fell into group 3. Not that I believed in the 'this is our level' concept, and certainly didn't blame the fans for our decline, but I did believe, or tried to believe, that Venkys were badly advised and were trying to turn it around. During the Gary Bowyer/early Paul Lambert days I hoped that lessons were being learned and efforts were being made behind the scenes and that their silence was an attempt to run the club properly without the endless PR gaffes.

However, what has happened since the start of this year, the relentless player sales, zero investment, zero communication, exodus of board members, suspicious activities of Pasha behind the scenes, the contempt shown for supporters, the continued refusal to engage on any level, has now put me firmly in camp 2. I now know that Venkys are beyond redemption, have never and will never run this club even remotely properly, and that the sole reason for my optimism a couple of years ago was the excellent job Gary Bowyer did in bringing some much needed normality and stability to the club. They have made a decision that they won't do things properly, in my opinion they have a reason for this, and it has enabled them to play the naïve card for 3-4 years. No more I'm afraid. They aren't naïve or badly advised, they're just up to no good and have been since the day they arrived.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment of the present situation Mattyblue. I must admit that I'm in boat 2 along with many of my friends. I think the problems occur at the extremes of each group who aren't prepared to tolerate a different point of view. As long as each viewpoint is respected there is no reason for divisions amongst the fanbase. At the end of the day we all support the same club. As long as people treat each other with respect tomorrow there should be no problems between supporters.

I think that bit in bold is the cause of much of the contention.

This is not the same club. The owners do not want the best for Blackburn Rovers and it's fans. Since the Kean era they have made it their mission to oppose the fans and quash any signs of unrest, instead of listening and responding to concerns.

This is not the same club. The owners do not want the best for Blackburn Rovers and it's fans. Since the Kean era they have made it their mission to oppose the fans and quash any signs of unrest, instead of listening and responding to concerns.

This is the bottom line.The club is dying with and because of the owners. Oh for a complete boycott to bring this to a head quickly....but I can see this is never going to happen. Whatever people's individual rationale, maintaining attendance will only delay their departure-perhaps until it is too late.

I agree that this is a point of contention for many. Where we differ is that for me it's still the same club. I might not like the owners, I might not like the way in which those are Ewood are running it but ultimately it is still the same club for me.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment of the present situation Mattyblue. I must admit that I'm in boat 2 along with many of my friends. I think the problems occur at the extremes of each group who aren't prepared to tolerate a different point of view. As long as each viewpoint is respected there is no reason for divisions amongst the fanbase. At the end of the day we all support the same club. As long as people treat each other with respect tomorrow there should be no problems between supporters.

its difficult to tolerate the position of fans who would never protest, never object, - no matter what damage is being done to the club Parson.

its difficult to tolerate the position of fans who would never protest, never object, - no matter what damage is being done to the club Parson.

Why? This question is important because there are 8-10k others like him. No wonder we do not get a consensus on anything. People like Parson need to be accommodated. Is he the only one who has that view? Surely NOT. Or do you think the Venky's will put a BRFC for sale sign on Sunday after watching the protests on Sky on saturday? Questioning his non participation is like taunting him "see if you had participated in the protests, the Venksters would be out by now." I fail to understand this extremist position. Maybe he is of the opinion that the Venkys will go in time and due course and thinks that the process cannot be accelerated by a 1875 type of protest.

Seen a few people arguing on Twitter with everyone's favourite blogger.

Apparently the protesters are a lunatic fringe and 'every club's fans has something they're unhappy about'.

That's possibly true, but whilst some fans might be complaining about an out of form left back, we are talking about corruption and the absolute dismantling of our club from within. Somewhat different.

Apparently the protesters are a lunatic fringe and 'every club's fans has something they're unhappy about'.

That's possibly true, but whilst some fans might be complaining about an out of form left back, we are talking about corruption and the absolute dismantling of our club from within. Somewhat different.

I used to quite enjoy reading his blog, but he's way off with his current stance/message IMO.

As I keep saying, where on earth has 'getting behind the lads (FFS)' got us?

Sorry for being a 'noob' but who is the blogger in question?

Why? This question is important because there are 8-10k others like him. No wonder we do not get a consensus on anything. People like Parson need to be accommodated. Is he the only one who has that view? Surely NOT. Or do you think the Venky's will put a BRFC for sale sign on Sunday after watching the protests on Sky on saturday? Questioning his non participation is like taunting him "see if you had participated in the protests, the Venksters would be out by now." I fail to understand this extremist position. Maybe he is of the opinion that the Venkys will go in time and due course and thinks that the process cannot be accelerated by a 1875 type of protest.

You can dance around all you like but Den's simple statement will do for me.

I used to quite enjoy reading his blog, but he's way off with his current stance/message IMO.

As I keep saying, where on earth has 'getting behind the lads (FFS)' got us?

His posts about the football are usually fair and make sense. He's damning of our performances and Coyle generally, but doesn't seem to be able to make the links that it is Venky's who have caused all this misery, not fans who choose to boycott/protest.

Getting behind the lads is all good and well, but like you said it hasn't helped one bit. They've been losing games with fans there 'getting behind them' (well, sitting on their hands), so I'm not sure what harm a section of fans arriving late/leaving early will do!

Seen one post where someone says 'I hope we grab late goals and they miss them'. Well you know what, I hope that too. I'll still be glad I missed the goals, as the bigger picture is far more important. That scenario would also put paid to the ridiculous theory that it's these 'bloody protesters' who are going to lead to our demise and relegation.

GET BEHIND T'LADS FFS

WHO'S GONNA BUY US? THEY'VE PUT MONEY IN!

etc. etc. Repeat ad infinitum until our local derby is at Fylde.

I have now read the latest blog.

The key for me is when Blue Eyed Boy / Meadows makes the point in his blog that he does not give a fig about future generations being able to enjoy watching the Rovers and has not given that a seconds thought.

This is where I differ completely with his totally inconsiderate and selfish view on the Rovers.

Like most, I love pass and move football, played the way football was meant to be played on the ground. Therefore when Big Sam came in and we saw Robinson hoofing it 80 yards into the opposition penalty box for Samba to attack it grated a tad for all. However I was intelligent enough to realise that we were competing in an unfair market place and needed to use whatever advantages could be gleaned through the players in our squad and any beneficial tactical variations. It was vital for the long-term security of our club that we remained in the PL and all those criticising Allardyce and the board for his appointment believing intricate pass and move football with less money was achievable at that level, irritated no end. The first sign of the division between our fans.

Clearly it was vital to remain in the PL as we may never get back with such huge financial vagaries between divisions hence being more than happy to support the manager making that possible following the debacle that was Paul Ince.

I found it very easy to put my personal footballing preferences to one side as I understood that PL football was the place to play, was vital for the long-term security and growth of the Rovers brand and unlike Meadows, I wanted my children and their children to be able to enjoy the Rovers at the very highest levels. I am not as old as some. I guess if in my 60's / 70's unsure how much time I have left, I may also choose to selfishly consider my own circumstances ahead of what is good for the club. But that doesn't sit or feel right to me as it is not just MY club. It's my sons and daughters club, my grand-childrens club and should be enjoyed long after I have stopped attending.

Those that continue to support the thieving and skullduggery, simply so they can selfishly get their weekly football fix at the Rovers, irrespective of the longevity of the club and enjoyment of future generations are not on my Xmas card list. To not care about the club going forward is very strange, but with that view it is easy to see why so many have no interest in protesting or hoping for change. I'm allright Jack. But not Uncle Jack,as he was a fan like me, that cared for the long-term viability and success of the club for generations to come.

I agree that this is a point of contention for many. Where we differ is that for me it's still the same club. I might not like the owners, I might not like the way in which those are Ewood are running it but ultimately it is still the same club for me.

Depends on your definition of a 'club'.

You appear to see it as fixtures and fittings. For Rovers: the badge; the shirt; the ground; the football; the results.

I see it as an organisation whose purpose is to unite people around a shared goal. For Rovers: the fans, the people; the vision; the affinity between fans and investor(s); a desire to bring together Blackburn people; to demonstrate a pride in our town, in competition with other towns and cities.

In my vision we are all in it together - including the owners - and we should defend OUR club against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

(You give the impression that) your vision is one where you go to the game, study the on-field events, take note of the stats and the players, and then go home. It matters not if one day you rock up and the doors are permanently locked. Because that's just the natural selection process with football. The good times and the bad. It's something to be consumed rather than something which consumes you. You believe that you have no voice so why bother shouting. That they won't listen so why speak out.

This is where we differ. Oh, and you go to more games than me.

You can dance around all you like but Den's simple statement will do for me.

If that statement was helping, fair enough. But in reality it isn't. What next? you will start calling Parson a "traitor" for attending games and call him an "anti-national" element? The day this happens all these fans on the fringe of the protest will start turning against the protestors instead of joining them. And the faint chance that they would join [which is needed believe me, the protestors need them to be on their side very very badly to make up the numbers] would be lost forever.

If that statement was helping, fair enough. But in reality it isn't. What next? you will start calling Parson a "traitor" for attending games and call him an "anti-national" element? The day this happens all these fans on the fringe of the protest will start turning against the protestors instead of joining them. And the faint chance that they would join [which is needed believe me, the protestors need them to be on their side very very badly to make up the numbers] would be lost forever.

Hang on a minute. Nobody has called Parson a traitor or an anti-national element (whatever that is) on here. I have never met him, but have no reason to believe he's anything but a very nice guy and definitely rovers through and through.

On the other hand you call my view about not understanding how some fans can turn a blind eye to the downfall of the club as "extreme". Who's getting carried away here?

I work in Cardiff and was talking to two girls at work who know nothing about football, never mind Rovers. Explained I was protesting and why, and their response:

"Good on you standing up for something you believe in and care about"

"Nothing worse than people who moan but do nothing about it"

If only a lot of our fans had the same point of view as the 2 girls in my office!

Archived