SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] "walk With Birdy" - 18/75 Protest - Wolves Sky Game

Stuart

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missed it. What was said?

Archive photo of Venkys and JA at Ewood.

Reporter Stuart Flinders slated Venkys' 6 year record at Rovers quoting statistics and explained 'mass demonstration at tomorrow's game'.

Excellent archive footage of Wembley (1928 Cup Final) and Ewood Park packed to the rafters.

Interviews with Birdy (Ewood Blues) and Mark Fish (BRFCAG).

Good report. :brfc:

With no traffic crash in sight,just observed four police cars and vans strategically parked on the traffic islands at Ewood as in rehearsal for something.

A taste of what's to come tomorrow?

I think the stewards will be more dangerous than the Police ....

During the Kean protests , I found the Police ok but the stewards , were after a punch up .....

Whats the plan between 1st and 18th minute?

If we are already in the ground Stewards could try and make us take our seats which could turn nasty.

If we wait outside is there a chance they could close the turnstiles ?

What's the majority view?

If you have bought a valid ticket for the game , you have to be allowed in or given a refund !

Not sure how season tickets stand on the refund ...

Hang on a minute. Nobody has called Parson a traitor or an anti-national element (whatever that is) on here. I have never met him, but have no reason to believe he's anything but a very nice guy and definitely rovers through and through.

On the other hand you call my view about not understanding how some fans can turn a blind eye to the downfall of the club as "extreme". Who's getting carried away here?

The Dingle is getting carried away Den (hopefully).

An interesting point about the story on North West Tonight, towards the end of the report Stuart Flinders said that BBC NW Tonight had received a statement from Blackburn's owners saying they respected people's right to protest but wanted people to concentrate on supporting the team on the pitch.

I wonder whether this is accurate or whether it was badly worded by Flinders and it was actually supposed to say that they had spoken to Rovers and received a statement rather than the owners. I find it hard to believe they've had any sort of contact with the lowlife in India.

An interesting point about the story on North West Tonight, towards the end of the report Stuart Flinders said that BBC NW Tonight had received a statement from Blackburn's owners saying they respected people's right to protest but wanted people to concentrate on supporting the team on the pitch.

I wonder whether this is accurate or whether it was badly worded by Flinders and it was actually supposed to say that they had spoken to Rovers and received a statement rather than the owners. I find it hard to believe they've had any sort of contact with the lowlife in India.

it was more club proganda

I think that's a pretty fair assessment of the present situation Mattyblue. I must admit that I'm in boat 2 along with many of my friends. I think the problems occur at the extremes of each group who aren't prepared to tolerate a different point of view. As long as each viewpoint is respected there is no reason for divisions amongst the fanbase. At the end of the day we all support the same club. As long as people treat each other with respect tomorrow there should be no problems between supporters.

The thing is, this is worse than anything gone before IMO. I've been watching Rovers since the mid sixties and this is the emptiest I have felt in all that time.

I truly hope we don't have trouble between oor own fans (never thought in my worse nightmare footballl wise, that fans would be divided on this one, just don't get it). Me and my son-in-law will be there along with other genuine descent people will be taking part as worried fans who see the club disappearing before our eye, and I can't stand by and let that happen.

Fans saying it is a lot of the spoilt Jack era supporters that are kicking up, as they can't stand failure because they have only seen success. I've sat freezing on wooden benches in the stand at Colchester, been on the league liner to Hereford, sat talking football with Simon Garner a the Mecca night club in town and I would go back to those days in a heartbeat because the club and the fans were one.

Please stand up to the Venkys before it's to late.

Wooden benches don't sound too bad f-o-g.

How many freezing cold open ends have we stood on in all manner of winter weather?

In a tee shirt and wrangler jacket to boot, all huddled together.

You were lucky.

I saw Bryan Douglas make his home debut after getting up at 4:30 am and spending 2 hours lickin' t'road clean.

If you have bought a valid ticket for the game , you have to be allowed in or given a refund !

Not sure how season tickets stand on the refund ...

Unfortunately the club don't have to let ticket or season ticket holders in as the Ground Regulations make clear - item No.1. Plus No.23 means fans can be asked to move out of the concourses to their seats.

The Ground Regulations cover most eventualities; the sensible action would be for stewards and police to stand back, quietly observe and allow the protest.

http://www.rovers.co.uk/club/groundfaqs.aspx

Unfortunately the club don't have to let ticket or season ticket holders in as the Ground Regulations make clear - item No.1. Plus No.23 means fans can be asked to move out of the concourses to their seats.

The Ground Regulations cover most eventualities; the sensible action would be for stewards and police to stand back, quietly observe and allow the protest.

http://www.rovers.co.uk/club/groundfaqs.aspx

Quite timely, as we head into November, to remember that our grandfathers and great-grandfathers gave their lives to ensure that future generation have the right to protest.

If anything the club is in danger of turning a peaceful protest into something else by virtue of the way they are treating fans. I hope they don't.

The police visiting and contacting people this week is a sign of Orwellian times being truly upon us. Those running Rovers at the present time are busy making themselves as hated as those in charge during the Kean era, when all we want is somebody to listen and react positively to fans concerns - instead of the implicit "look we've told you that Venkys don't talk to us, why can't you just move on?", which is my translation of "As far as we are concerned, Venkys remain committed to Blackburn Rovers and they have not said otherwise".

Big day today.

No expectations from me that Venkys will be moved by this but that's not what I believe the immediate aim is.

We have a divided fanbase. Kean had media sympathy and that made it easy for protests to be 'managed' and dismissed as a minority. This time around it is different. There is no media support for Venkys and little support for Venkys from the terraces.

It is so so easy for Burnley fans - or other rival clubs - to create an account on the LT and extol the virtues of Venkys ownership of Rovers, deflecting when asked "but what about the debt". In reality I've not met a single person who thinks Venkys are good for the club. In more recent times, even those fearful of the club's future without them have said enough's enough, they have to go.

I genuinely believe that those pro-Venkys and argumentatively defending them represent a very small minority of the fanbase, and are easily out-numbered by protesters.

What we need to show the football-watching world (and make no mistake, BT Sport are making Sky ramp up the coverage of the Championship) the number of 'floating voters' in that 6-8000 middle ground who are prepared to stand up and be counted. Prepared to make a visual statement in front of the cameras. Venkys WILL be aware and they or their advisors WILL be watching. They will be desperately hoping that this will be a minority that can be dismissed when their customers and shareholders read about it in the papers - or better yet, it barely be mentioned.

Yes, it will hurt some people. Yes, it may ruin a niche of 100% records. Yes, it will be even harder if we are winning. Could it distract the players? These are professionals. But when players talk about fans being the most important people at any football club, I expect them to have some pride, and maybe even respect if 6,000 people walk. On the contrary, I more likely imagine the opposition players and fans laughing if there are only a couple of hundred sneaking out. But again, these are professionals so chances are the won't.

Week after week of 'getting behind the boys' at Ewood in relative silence has only resulted in the regular chant of Your Support is F****** S***.

Just for one game this season, for two big moments, I want to be able to stand shoulder to shoulder with our fans and show them that our support is f****** magnificent.

Archived