BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England World Cup Campaign

chor808

It's international week. Tomorrow England play a friendly against Germany in Dortmund, then a Wembley qualifier on Sunday against Lithuania.

England's squad looks a bit thin to me, but that's what Premier League cash has done to home grown talent. It either gets wasted due to too much too young, or never gets a chance to develop as clubs buy ready made stars.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Michael Keane (Burnley), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham), Michail Antonio (West Ham), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jake Livermore (West Bromwich Albion), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Nathan Redmond (Southampton), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Strikers: Jermain Defoe (Sunderland), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jamie Vardy (Leicester)

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Go on then I'll be the first and I'll  await the 'why post then?' ^_^ :

I honestly couldn't give a @#/?. It's a shame that international football is such a crashing bore, but there we are!

I've not even checked if and who we are playing..sad really.

Go on, who are we playing :-)

2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It's international week. Tomorrow England play a friendly against Germany in Dortmund, then a Wembley qualifier on Sunday against Lithuania.

England's squad looks a bit thin to me, but that's what Premier League cash has done to home grown talent. It either gets wasted due to too much too young, or never gets a chance to develop as clubs buy ready made stars.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Michael Keane (Burnley), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham), Michail Antonio (West Ham), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jake Livermore (West Bromwich Albion), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Nathan Redmond (Southampton), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Strikers: Jermain Defoe (Sunderland), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jamie Vardy (Leicester)

Whose even a first rate prem player amongst that, let alone world class?

Lallana is quality on his day, and Stirling, Dier and Alli have all ingredients but no consistent form, but after that it's a really sorry bunch.

I'm usually optimistic against my better judgement but it is very hard to be enthused about any of that team.

Germany should absolutely spank us.

14 hours ago, chor808 said:

I've not even checked if and who we are playing..sad really.

Go on, who are we playing :-)

Same for me. The qualification process is way too easy, there is zero jeopardy. Mind numbing but for a couple of games against Scotland.

I always find other international games a lot more exciting and niggling.

If Livermore can play for England, there's hope for Lowe yet.

1 hour ago, A cup of beans said:

Same for me. The qualification process is way too easy, there is zero jeopardy. Mind numbing but for a couple of games against Scotland.

I always find other international games a lot more exciting and niggling.

If Livermore can play for England, there's hope for Lowe yet.

I'm glad England have an easy group. I love the World Cup. One without England isn't the same - even though there's a good chance they'll be knocked out by the end of week 1.

England usually rag a top seed (media pressure conspiracies anyone?), but on the last 2 tournament results England will be lucky to get one; pending qualification of course.

There was an article in the Guardian on Arsenal yesterday posturing that because Wenger has been unsackable he and the players have been too comfortable. It surmised in part this has hurt England too as English "talent" Walcott, Ox, Wilshere (his name again), Gibbs, also to a lesser extent Welbeck and Callum Chambers, haven't pushed on. Under a different manager they may have done. Joe Cole is an example. Mourinho turned him into a decent international footballer after he'd lost his way a bit.

57 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Enjoyed tonight performance. 

Thought we played 3-4-3 formation really well. Deserved to win..

With Rose, Stones and Kane in that system we would have done alot better

Harry Kane? He's crap for england! He always looks uninterested. Jamie vardy over him any day. Doesn't finish as well but always puts a shift in!

15 hours ago, roverandout said:

Keane looked at home at international level. Better player than overrated stones

Keane did very well on his debut apart from the basic mistake which almost cost a goal.

Stones is top draw and doing well at MC under the madman Pep who remains convinced that a goalkeepers job is to play his own defenders into danger.

I actually enjoyed the game and a cracking goal by Poldolski.

Lallana excelled as did Ali who really should have done much better with his shooting.

As the match progressed I had to Goggle oncoming England players to check who they were!

Southampton seem to be the English Academy.

Southgate shows early promise....which suprised me I must admit.

Going forward hopefully Rooney will get nowhere near the starting eleven.

• 2 months later...

Southgate proving his ineptitude and the reason that no one wanted him as manager.

So slow, full of mistakes, no rhythm, he cant make his mind up on the formation, 3 at the back, 4 at the back, no consistency.

Then the line up. Hart over Butland. Livermore and Smalling are embarrassing, shouldn't be near the squad. Rashford on the wing?

England won't progress with Southgate in charge, that's for sure.

I wonder what Brown said to Ali as Ali walked off after being subbed. I don't think it was 'well played'.

Actually that was when I noticed Ali had been in the game.

Cahill cluthing his head was embarassing.

Lallana should have scored with a header but seemed concerned about his hairstyle.

Hart had 2 things to do and failed both times.

At least Kane took his chance well.

England looked like 11 guys having a kick around on a sunny day in the park with no urgency until very very late on.

I don't know why I'm disappointed in them. I should really know better by now.

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Southgate proving his ineptitude and the reason that no one wanted him as manager.

So slow, full of mistakes, no rhythm, he cant make his mind up on the formation, 3 at the back, 4 at the back, no consistency.

Then the line up. Hart over Butland. Livermore and Smalling are embarrassing, shouldn't be near the squad. Rashford on the wing?

England won't progress with Southgate in charge, that's for sure.

Probably couldn't have been a less inspiring appointment as England manager if they tried. 

Easy, safe and hassle free choice by the FA.

With very few exceptions the arrogance of the England team was shocking. It was almost as if turning up should have been enough to win. They wanted far too much time to play and couldn't handle the pressing of Scotland who had a game plan whilst England didn't seem to have one. Southgate is one of the breed of beige, bland and unimaginative managers that this country breeds.

That was dull, dull, dull apart from the last ten minutes. Scotland wouldn't have scored from open play if they'd have played whilst tomorrow. The final ball lets England down every time, no composure in the last third. Even the cross we equalised off should have swallowed by the Scotland No 1

Archived