BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derby Away 24.09.2016

Really not sure how you can put Lenihan in midfield instead of Guthrie.

It doesn't have to be Feeney playing there does it? He's the worst winger we've got.

of course it doesn't have to be Feeney but we do have plenty of options out wide this season

Whereas how old is Brown, and what's his fitness like? (Am I right in thinking even OC said Brown isn't fully fit yet.) Given Greer's been one of our better performers, if fit then he has to start. Also didn't Hoban have a knock too but he made it into the 11?

As for midfield, why not play the West Ham lad whose name escapes me - he's meant to be promising. Or switch 4-2-3-1 with better players, as Gallagher showed he can do a good job on the left wing. Put him on the left, Conway on the right and maybe Byrne in the hole? Point is it's not Lowe or bust, but I have a feeling - and I could be wrong - that given Coyle likes him you'll pop him in each time, even though he's one of the weakest members of the team.

Anyhow on to the game. Think it's a loss. With all their attacking talent - even if it hasn't clicked at all yet - Derby should have more than enough to beat us. 3-1 to Derby.

Brown is 36, he has played a few games for reserves. Hoban was cup tied midweek

Byrne shouldn't be in team. done not much. far too lightweight.

I would go 4-4-2 formation cos of the threats of Gallagher and Emnes are, will cause any defence in this league.

The West Ham lad is Samuelsen and for me he should be playing in the hole or out wide in a 5 man midfield.

Right back has been problem for most of the past 15 months tbh

From hat I've seen of Guthrie (not a whole lot as he is always injured) he's lightweight and doesn't tend to put a foot in, whereas Lenihan will. Happy to be corrected. But if Lenihan regains his form from last season he'd be my first choice CM personally

I like Lenihan a lot but he hasn't performed this season. think he would have done better under Lambert and his system

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From hat I've seen of Guthrie (not a whole lot as he is always injured) he's lightweight and doesn't tend to put a foot in, whereas Lenihan will. Happy to be corrected. But if Lenihan regains his form from last season he'd be my first choice CM personally

He's been our best midfielder this season so dropping him seems harsh. He's the only one that knows what he's going to do with the ball before he receives it. Lenihan tries hard and will stick a foot in but he's a league 1 standard player at best (hopefully he'll improve), Evans and Lenihan together wouldn't create anything.

I'm going to this one. If we adopt the right approach, which is to attack and press then I expect us to win. We have goals in our team and Derbys lack of firepower shouldn't trouble even our leaky offence.

It all depends on how Coyle lines them up, and there lies the rub.

Steele

Bennett Greer Hoban Williams

Marshall Guthrie Evans Conway

Emnes Gallagher

I think Bennett played right back for Bristol City before he came to Rovers and did pretty well, I'd play him there so Lowe doesn't play and so the Rotherham team isn't changed too much. Hopefully Marshall's goal will set him off on a bit of a run and we know he can be dangerous as a winger if he goes on one.

He's been our best midfielder this season so dropping him seems harsh. He's the only one that knows what he's going to do with the ball before he receives it. Lenihan tries hard and will stick a foot in but he's a league 1 standard player at best (hopefully he'll improve), Evans and Lenihan together wouldn't create anything.

Guthrie really is a marmite player for me - I had high hopes when he first joined - but for me he has been a huge let down.

A major plus is that he is comfortable on the ball - however when he tries anything but a simple sideways ball he invariably finds an invisible colleague. Granted, occasionally he will pull out a great forward pass - but for me it is far too rare to make up for his general inadequacies - the biggest of which is his fitness and desire to get back into defensive positions. I don't think it is a coincidence that we are defending so poorly from midfield when he plays.

Steele

Bennett Greer Hoban Williams

Marshall Guthrie Evans Conway

Emnes Gallagher

I think Bennett played right back for Bristol City before he came to Rovers and did pretty well, I'd play him there so Lowe doesn't play and so the Rotherham team isn't changed too much. Hopefully Marshall's goal will set him off on a bit of a run and we know he can be dangerous as a winger if he goes on one.

I presume Lowe had a poor game at Leeds - against Rotherham he played reasonably well (even attempting the odd forward pass).

Guthrie really is a marmite player for me - I had high hopes when he first joined - but for me he has been a huge let down.

A major plus is that he is comfortable on the ball - however when he tries anything but a simple sideways ball he invariably finds an invisible colleague. Granted, occasionally he will pull out a great forward pass - but for me it is far too rare to make up for his general inadequacies - the biggest of which is his fitness and desire to get back into defensive positions. I don't think it is a coincidence that we are defending so poorly from midfield when he plays.

I presume Lowe had a poor game at Leeds - against Rotherham he played reasonably well (even attempting the odd forward pass).

Yes, he was the worst player on the pitch imo and that really is saying something because we were awful.

Not sure what to expect today, our attacking last week was excellent, our defending at times was heart stopping!

Here's hoping Emnes has the same influence on this game.

Come on Rovers, avoid a defeat and, if possible, give us a win!!

Archived