BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa V Rovers

• Backroom

Whilst I don't disagree with many of the points you make the fact is that something needs to change. The owners clearly aren't going anywhere. As no money will be available come January, the playing squad isn't going to change drastically. That leaves the manager. Whilst there is no doubt that he has been desperately unlucky with injuries and officials have admitted that they have cost us four points, the simple fact is that we have won three in sixteen games. We need someone who can get more from extremely limited resources. Above all we need someone who can organise the team defensively because it's only be keeping clean sheets that we will have any hope of staying up. Whilst we had the better of the first half of this game, once Villa stepped up a gear we struggled to contain them.

When you bring in crocks, and they then inevitably get injured, that isn't bad luck. We've had this policy of bringing in injury prone players for years and it always comes back to bite us. You can go all the way back to Vince Grella, we just love bringing in these types of players and giving them a nice fat contract to keep the physio company.

Only problem is now our injury prone players are crap as well as being largely unavailable. At least some of our previous crocks actually had some talent.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you bring in crocks, and they then inevitably get injured, that isn't bad luck. We've had this policy of bringing in injury prone players for years and it always comes back to bite us. You can go all the way back to Vince Grella, we just love bringing in these types of players and giving them a nice fat contract to keep the physio company.

Only problem is now our injury prone players are crap as well as being largely unavailable. At least some of our previous crocks actually had some talent.

I think Williams and Hoban were decent additions until they got injured and Emnes has looked the part but has suffered from injuries - including today. Mulgrew looks OK if he can stay fit but Brown was always going to be a risk but I suspect was signed with a view to helping the youngsters in the Under-23 team.

• Backroom

I think Williams and Hoban were decent additions until they got injured and Emnes has looked the part but has suffered from injuries - including today. Mulgrew looks OK if he can stay fit but Brown was always going to be a risk but I suspect was signed with a view to helping the youngsters in the Under-23 team.

Considering how threadbare our squad is, I would find it incredible if we justified giving Brown a contract to mentor our U23's. We can barely afford first team players and we're shelling out for players who aren't actually here to add anything to the first team? I very much hope your suspicions are incorrect as the implications of that would be quite grim.

Crap planning and a big risk having no cover on the bench especially when we have a young defender ready for the first team squad. Signing Greer as steady as he's been in the past at this level was always going to cause probs before long because his legs are almost gone and he'll naturally pick up knocks or stiffen up quick at his age.

He's never been a defensive manager so no surprise that he's lacking in organising that area and he seems to have put all his faith in the attacking positions but that isn't paying off. No wonder when you keep making dumb decisions to replace people with Feeney and Akpan then creating naff all.

Whilst I don't disagree with many of the points you make the fact is that something needs to change. The owners clearly aren't going anywhere. As no money will be available come January, the playing squad isn't going to change drastically. That leaves the manager. Whilst there is no doubt that he has been desperately unlucky with injuries and officials have admitted that they have cost us four points, the simple fact is that we have won three in sixteen games. We need someone who can get more from extremely limited resources. Above all we need someone who can organise the team defensively because it's only be keeping clean sheets that we will have any hope of staying up. Whilst we had the better of the first half of this game, once Villa stepped up a gear we struggled to contain them.

Glad you're on board a little now parson, took you long enough re Coyle,

Now please understand more than ever, if we don't see change soon on and off the field, we'll not have a club worth supporting.

I admire you loyalty, but it has been blinkered to the point of blindness.

It goes against every fibre in my body to slag anything Rovers but we have changed beyond recognition.

Support the club as usual by still going to all the games as you do, but effort to rid us of the cancer that is Venky's should run hand in glove.

I'm genuinely not having a go at you personally, but things have to be made to change and now, cause there's not much left to save.

Dont think anyone was in all honest..

People have give him a chance but results have been very poor

Yes I've tried to lay off him for a while at least but each passing week it's more obvious he hasn't got what's required for the situation we are in. Said it last season that we needed a Lambert style of manager just to keep us up even with that better squad and we need one like him more than ever now.

If I actually thought Coyle would keep us out of the bottom 5 I wouldn't bother as much in the hope he'd be able to build for next season but that'll not happen with Venkys and co and Owen will take us down I'm sure. We can point to injuries but we were losing games with Hoban and Williams in as well so I'm not sure it's a valid excuse every week.

Glad you're on board a little now parson, took you long enough re Coyle,

Now please understand more than ever, if we don't see change soon on and off the field, we'll not have a club worth supporting.

I admire you loyalty, but it has been blinkered to the point of blindness.

It goes against every fibre in my body to slag anything Rovers but we have changed beyond recognition.

Support the club as usual by still going to all the games as you do, but effort to rid us of the cancer that is Venky's should run hand in glove.

I'm genuinely not having a go at you personally, but things have to be made to change and now, cause there's not much left to save.

If you look back at when Coyle was appointed I said it would end in tears by Christmas but was prepared to give him a chance. I think he has had that chance to prove people wrong but for a variety of reasons - and I genuinely believe he has been dogged by bad luck - a change is needed. We are in a mess of that there is no doubt but there are many supporters who will continue to support our club at games despite the hard times that it has fallen upon due to the appalling ownership. Venkys will undoubtedly leave at some point - although I firmly believe that it will be at a time of their own choosing and will not be influenced by anything the supporters do. At that point I just hope that there is someone who is prepared to step in and pick up a £2 million a month wage bill and all the associated running costs. But back on topic, I believe that this game has shown that a change of direction on the field is necessary. Playing well - which we undoubtedly did in the first half - without picking up points is a classic relegation formula.

If you look back at when Coyle was appointed I said it would end in tears by Christmas but was prepared to give him a chance. I think he has had that chance to prove people wrong but for a variety of reasons - and I genuinely believe he has been dogged by bad luck - a change is needed. We are in a mess of that there is no doubt but there are many supporters who will continue to support our club at games despite the hard times that it has fallen upon due to the appalling ownership. Venkys will undoubtedly leave at some point - although I firmly believe that it will be at a time of their own choosing and will not be influenced by anything the supporters do. At that point I just hope that there is someone who is prepared to step in and pick up a £2 million a month wage bill and all the associated running costs. But back on topic, I believe that this game has shown that a change of direction on the field is necessary. Playing well - which we undoubtedly did in the first half - without picking up points is a classic relegation formula.

Only 5 seasons outside the top 2 divisions. Here we go again.....

Re your last sentence. I've seen us get relegated several times in the past and that's been a common thread in most of them.

Re your last sentence. I've seen us get relegated several times in the past and that's been a common thread in most of them.

Totally agree. Usually combined with a thin squad and a long injury list - Jimmy Kerr for instance as I'm sure you remember - and a string of bad luck. All the classic ingredients are in place for relegation - and that's before you get to the owners.

I think the most ghastly thing about this whole business is that once again we have a manager who is unsackable so long as he tows the party line. What other club judges managers not on results but on whether he doesn't bug our regal owners.

We will be in league one next season no doubt about it and I fear with the Venkys at the helm it won't stop there.

Totally agree. Usually combined with a thin squad and a long injury list - Jimmy Kerr for instance as I'm sure you remember - and a string of bad luck. All the classic ingredients are in place for relegation - and that's before you get to the owners.

Yeah, I saw him play for Bury a quite a lot at that time. A mate of mine was in and out of their first team at the time. " The next Colin Bell " was said about him at the time. He was a really good player to be fair but we'd financially put all our eggs in one basket and he was injured almost as soon as he arrived. Steve Agnew was a similar case.

We'd got Alec Lindsay ( the next Bobby Moore ) from Bury almost signed up previously but Liverpool came in at the last minute and that was that. He would have been a great signing.

So we went back to Bury for Jimmy Kerr.

That's the thing with struggling teams, players get a niggling injury and they don't want to play. If we were at the top of the league they'd take a chance because they don't want to lose their place.

Look at our nearest and dearest- more or less the same team every week with one or two exceptions. I could name their team for the next game and get 10 out of 11 right. With Rovers I might get 6 right.

I think the most ghastly thing about this whole business is that once again we have a manager who is unsackable so long as he tows the party line. What other club judges managers not on results but on whether he doesn't bug our regal owners.

We will be in league one next season no doubt about it and I fear with the Venkys at the helm it won't stop there.

The decline will only stop when the Chicken Chokers leave. I would have thought that the events of the last 6 years would have proved that.

In sport losing (and winning) can become a habit and this this current team and management are clearly devoid of the winning mentality. The manager should lead from the front in this respect but all Coyle can do is talk in riddles interspersed with some superlatives but that changes nothing. The cold reality is that he is a loser and generally his team are losers. The inevitability from this is relegation.

And unless there is a change somewhere, next season is going to be our fifth season outside the top two divisions.

We've had five already, 71-72, 72-73, 73-74, 74-75 & 79-80

Five seasons in our entire history, i.e. 141 years.

It took 96 years until we were relegated to the old Third Division for the first time.

Venky's will achieve the same 'feat' in just six and a half years.

Archived