BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] QPR game

Mercer

37 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Mahoney out of contract?  Is this what we are doing, putting him the shop window?  Looking to off load Wharton too?  Are we going to start selling our youth long before they have been of benefit to us on the pitch and well under their true financial value amd all the while being a payday for over the hill crocks and has beens?  Be interesting to see how things pan out.

I would love nothing more than to see a team made up of home grown talent, at least we know they will put in a shift for the shirt.  Problem is will the agents who matter still make their cut.

Absolutely no point in having an academy if we're going to sell on the best players for a pittance before they've even had a chance to establish themselves in our first team. 

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Al said:

Sorry but I can't understand that attitude from a so called supporter. Please walk away.

I read Dave's post as one very sad, disillusioned and self-apologising statement of a long-term, long-suffering supporter.

The sad thing, Al, is that he probably will walk away, and it'll be Rovers' loss.

We ALL want Rovers to succeed but some will look at sacrificing one battle to win the war. Worryingly, more and more fans are seeing things this way. Whether the 'war' is Coyle or Venkys or even Rovers future itself, it's one that must be won or we will all be walking away because the doors will be padlocked.

If Paul Senior was to have any credibility, he needed to listen to and understand the fans and be prepared to walk away himself if he could not bridge the widening gap - and demonstrate that he was listening through his masterful exploitation of the transfer window opportunity (see, I can do pithy as well, Paul). I'm sure everyone at the club firmly believes that if the football improves then fans will follow but how is that ever going to happen with the current 'cut your cloth' strategy, with the most hated owners in our 142 year history, with a clueless manager who has lost the fans (if he ever had any butvthe most forgiving of saints), and when our competitors are not doing the same. We didn't try to stay in the PL when that was easier than mounting a promotion bid. We aren't trying to stay in the Championship when it would still be easier than trying to get promoted on a shoe string from League One. These would have been platforms to build from, not 'keeping our powder dry' until we are in the worst possible position - gambling on there being three worse teams than us (there aren't, and our powder is dryer than Tutankhamen's mouth after a packet of cream crackers).

Paul Senior had a chance to make a statement of intent in January and instead kept his head down until the window was safely closed. "There is money available for the right players". What an utter lie. A statement of intent and proof of this statement would have been to sign a (relative) marquee player, or even a couple of players with some Championship pedigree; to put Venkys money where Senior's mouth is (no, not there). Instead we hear platitudes and pithy sound bites about how Venkys remain committed to the club. Well, we've been here a long time Paul, and we've heard it all before. And we've seen what Venkys actually do - and what they don't do. We've sold our best player(s) every window but you talk about 'value' as though we are supposed to be impressed, grateful even. There is no value in a squad of loanees and contract closures and no quality from the half way line and back to make a difference. Our best value defender is currently performing for another club!

But the only value this lot care about is the smart price kind and, as far as I'm concerned, as long as you are drawing a nice value salary then you will say whatever they want you to, and you will even say things that you think they would want you to.

But even if we follow your logic that January transfers are inflated (no shit, Sherlock) we will still not be in a position of strength in the Summer to start buying players because we will be desperate, nor will the kind we need drop a division. More freebies and last minute loans and a nice pay check for everyone else. Midtable League One is the best we can hope for next season, and that would be by doing what Blackpool couldn't when faced with the exact same problems, but don't expect us to be grateful.

• Backroom
Just now, perthblue02 said:

Appently SSN had the score up as 0-1 for a while after the QPR goal that never was

They did. I was in between playing VR and checking the scores on t'laptop, and was quite confused at the end when we scored and it said 1-0 to us :lol: 

30 minutes ago, Hasta said:

If he believes the best way forward for the club is for Coyle to be replaced, and he genuinely believes that losing yesterday would have enforced that change, then he has the best interests of the club at heart. 

I can understand that attitude. Even though I still attend, my blinkers are off.

A proper supporter would never want their team to lose.

Just now, Al said:

"Proper supporter"? Are we going to do this again?

Ignoring that, so if Rovers (the club) set Coyle (the current manager) a target of 3 points from the next game or he will be sacked. Would you be prepared to sacrifice?

Just now, Al said:

If a defeat next week guaranteed Venkys exit and that Battersby and co ran the club, would you not want them to lose?

Simple yes or no will do Al. Don't duck the question.

49 minutes ago, Hasta said:

If he believes the best way forward for the club is for Coyle to be replaced, and he genuinely believes that losing yesterday would have enforced that change, then he has the best interests of the club at heart. 

I can understand that attitude. Even though I still attend, my blinkers are off.

Sad, but that's how I see it.

Just now, Hasta said:

If a defeat next week guaranteed Venkys exit and that Battersby and co ran the club, would you not want them to lose?

Who do you think you are demanding that I answer your question? For your information the answer is yes but who the hell would be able to give that guarantee? Certainly not you!

Just now, Al said:

I haven't been this season and as time has moved on all I really feel about Rovers is indifference.  The result from yesterday really meant nothing to me. That indifference is the same whatever the result.

The main thing I miss is going to home and away games with like minded people who I have the utmost respect for. These are hard core, long standing Rovers fans who accept the results graciously having been there through thick and thin. There is probably a 50/50 split of the people still going or boycotting.  The reality is as time moves on the 50% not going might never return.

Just now, Al said:

Who do you think you are demanding that I answer your question? For your information the answer is yes but who the hell would be able to give that guarantee? Certainly not you!

Bloody hell. Talk about touchy.  Most people answer that with "I'm not answering as that can't be guaranteed"

Im only pointing out that your statement that a proper supporter wouldn't want the team to lose depends on circumstances and what they believe. At least you've answered to prove my point.

Just now, Hasta said:

Bloody hell. Talk about touchy. 

Im only pointing out that your statement that a proper supporter wouldn't want the team to lose depends on circumstances and what they believe. At least you've answered to prove my point.

Yes but you were quoting an impossible situation and the reply has that caveat. Your point therefore does not hold water.

Just now, Al said:

Yes but you were quoting an impossible situation and the reply has that caveat. Your point therefore does not hold water.

Al, you threw the "proper supporter" around.

We all have different limits.

Who's to say that yesterday wasn't a last chance moment for Coyle? It would certainly explain his reaction near the end.

Just now, Al said:

I said what the supporter believes.

If the guy believes a defeat would remove Coyle then who are you to question if he is a genuine supporter or not.

Just now, Stuart said:

Al, you threw the "proper supporter" around.

We all have different limits.

Who's to say that yesterday wasn't a last chance moment for Coyle? It would certainly explain his reaction near the end.

I sincerely hope it was.

Just now, Hasta said:

I said what the supporter believes.

If the guy believes a defeat would remove Coyle then who are you to question if he is a genuine supporter or not.

No you didn't. You said if it could be guaranteed.

11 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Bloody hell. Talk about touchy.  Most people answer that with "I'm not answering as that can't be guaranteed"

Im only pointing out that your statement that a proper supporter wouldn't want the team to lose depends on circumstances and what they believe. 

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

If he believes the best way forward for the club is for Coyle to be replaced, and he genuinely believesthat losing yesterday would have enforced that change, then he has the best interests of the club at heart. 

33 minutes ago, Hasta said:

No. The above is the question you originally asked and what I answered.

And you replied Yes to the question. 

Then you backtracked because it was pointed out that it clashed with your original superfan opinion. The Caveat you claim you added in your reply wasn't a caveat at all. 

If the the original poster believes the clubs situation will genuinely improve wiith a defeat, then in his situation then he thinks he's acting in the best interests of the club in his eyes. 

I think thats thats a fair summary so I'll stop going round in circles now.

I never wanted Coyle in the first place and I want him replaced by a better manager, not too difficult a task I would have thought. Having said that a Rovers win always makes my day and yesterday was no exception.  I'd have to KNOW for sure that Coyle was being blown out before a loss would bring anything more than a frown to my face.

I've stepped back from my involvement with the club a lot but I find it hard to be indifferent to our results. Sometimes I wish I could be though.

Archived