BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan at home

8 minutes ago, LewisF said:

Is it worth disrupting a back 4 growing in confidence and understanding, in order to make way for Hoban and push Mulgrew into CM? Tough choice

I'd keep the back four as it is for now.We are looking solid at the back.We always have the option of moving mulgrew into midfield if Guthrie is tiring as let's face it no matter who the manager is Lowe always seems to be undroppable

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I was loaned a ST for today and really enjoyed the game, it was worth every penny of the admission price ;).

What a difference a half decent manager makes.  He was on the touch line leading with commands and coaching, we never had that from Boring Bowyer nor Lambert.

Even Steele had a decent game, his quick and accurate distribution for the goal was impressive.  Mulgrew was awesome and Jason Lowe worked his socks off.

The only disappointment was Gallagher, however from previous games he does have potential and not everyone can perform 100% every game.

A special mention to the fans who have taken to Mowbray, they were awesome today.

I enjoyed today and welcomed the effort put in by the Manager / Coach or whatever he is called.

Finally I gather Rovers Catering now include Cottage Pie in the pie range and Latte and Mocha coffees.  It really is looking up at t'Rovers.

Well done TM and well done Rovers fans today.  I am a happy bunny.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Fairly nonplussed by that. 

We were atrocious first half with only Feeney and Emnes who held the ball up well and linked up play showing up well.

Second half Emnes scores the best goal seen at Ewood in many a year then gets dragged off as 3rd sub on 61 minutes in what was arguably the worst substitution of all time

.Luckily we didn't suffer another injury in the last 30 minutes. I thought as a result of taking Emnes off we lost our composure completely but held on for the 3 points.

Funny old game but just shows how badly a change of manager was needed to bring a change of luck and momentum.

Worst subsitution of all time? Have a word with yourself.

Just now, scotchrover said:

Lambert will be gone as soon as they drop into the bottom 3. Their new owners are looking for top flight football asap.  

Wolves are away at Ipswich on Tuesday, while Bristol City are at home to an inconsistent Norwich. It could happen as quickly as then.

39 minutes ago, Commondore said:

We had very few answers to Wigan sitting back and waiting to be opened up, but after Emnes scored that beautiful counter/long ball they had absolutely nothing to offer in attack. Poorest team I've seen in the Championship this season. Also thought Conway looked even slower than usual today (packed schedule getting to him?), but Mowbray's three substitutions were amateurish and could have cost us the game against different opposition. Still, three points and a clean sheet for the second game in a row! When was the last time that happened, some time back in the Bowyer years?   

Amateurish? You should have a word with yourself as well.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Fairly nonplussed by that. 

We were atrocious first half with only Feeney and Emnes who held the ball up well and linked up play showing up well.

Second half Emnes scores the best goal seen at Ewood in many a year then gets dragged off as 3rd sub on 61 minutes in what was arguably the worst substitution of all time

.Luckily we didn't suffer another injury in the last 30 minutes. I thought as a result of taking Emnes off we lost our composure completely but held on for the 3 points.

Funny old game but just shows how badly a change of manager was needed to bring a change of luck and momentum.

Emnes was injured Rev, which he admitted after the game, hence the substitution.  With games coming thick and fast we really can't take risks with any of our players at the moment.

Just now, preston blue said:

Mulgrew was awesome and Jason Lowe worked his socks off.

The only disappointment was Gallagher, however from previous games he does have potential and not everyone can perform 100% every game.

Mulgrew is a class act.  Have said all along, if he stays fit, we stay up.

Still think Lowe is a bit of a headless chicken.  So many times with him involved, moves either break down or lose momentum - does nothing with the ball.  In contrast, think Guthrie at least tries to be progressive and, noticeably, on a number of occasions today, opted not to give the ball to Lowe - at least Gutherie recognises a donkey when he sees one.

As for Gallagher, agree - seems to have lost his spark and zip.  Might be time to rest him for a couple of games.

32 minutes ago, Tom said:

I do find it surprising to see the substitutions criticised, we made a double sub and put Emnes wide, he scores from that position, he then changes it to see the game out and we keep a clean sheet whilst the other sub Mahoney nearly gets a couple of goals.

Seem almost perfect in terms of effect.

You couldn't make it up. We get a proper manager for once who makes proper subs and our fans are calling the subs amateurish when we've won, what a joke.

18 minutes ago, LewisF said:

Is it worth disrupting a back 4 growing in confidence and understanding, in order to make way for Hoban and push Mulgrew into CM? Tough choice

I would think that having the experienced Mulgrew next to Lenihan probably helps him in games. 

You can't change the back 4 when you've just kept 2 cleans sheets in a row either.

As much as I rate Hoban, might need to keep Mulgrew at CB for the time being. 

The other option would be to move Lenihan back into CM, Hoban and Mulgrew at CB and drop Lowe (who was awful today).

Just now, RV Blue said:

Great result. Although I've been a critic of his, Williams was outstanding today! Motm for me.

I hope he isn't physically sick still...

Didn't realise I had a set of groupies. You need to get out more.

Just now, davulsukur said:

I would think that having the experienced Mulgrew next to Lenihan probably helps him in games. 

You can't change the back 4 when you've just kept 2 cleans sheets in a row either.

As much as I rate Hoban, might need to keep Mulgrew at CB for the time being. 

The other option would be to move Lenihan back into CM, Hoban and Mulgrew at CB and drop Lowe (who was awful today).

Do you not think Lenihan is developing well into his centre back role?I do rate Hoban but let's not forget he isn't ours and will most likely not be at Ewood next season.Your opinion may differ but I see Lenihans future as a centre half rather than midfield.And I'm not of that opinion on the back of the last two games,I think he has been improving steadily in that position

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Emnes was injured Rev, which he admitted after the game, hence the substitution.  With games coming thick and fast we really can't take risks with any of our players at the moment.

Fair enough if he was injured. I thought he had been taken off for tactical reasons and that the player himself looked fairly unhappy walking off.

Just now, Stuart said:

Didn't realise I had a set of groupies. You need to get out more.

Au contraire Stu lad, it has been really refreshing to see posts that are positive. We seem to be getting back to a site that actually enjoys football, the club and alternative opinions.

Just now, islander200 said:

Do you not think Lenihan is developing well into his centre back role?I do rate Hoban but let's not forget he isn't ours and will most likely not be at Ewood next season.Your opinion may differ but I see Lenihans future as a centre half rather than midfield.And I'm not of that opinion on the back of the last two games,I think he has been improving steadily in that position

I'd keep Lenihan in the backline, different player these last few games and like mulgrew should keep there shirt.

It's down to Hoban to win it back. 

Not that Lenihan may be here next year with the filth we have as owners.

Just now, islander200 said:

Yer he is developing well as a CB. He could stay there and become a good player for us.

I guess it depends on where he sees his future, he'll need to get it nailed down sooner rather than later or he risks becoming another Phil Jones/Jason Lowe.

Watching an interview with Lenihan on Rovers player the other day, sounds like he's happy to play CB if needed, unsure if he'd want to stay there but if he's getting games, I'm sure he would.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

I'd keep Lenihan in the backline, different player these last few games and like mulgrew should keep there shirt.

It's down to Hoban to win it back. 

Not that Lenihan may be here next year with the filth we have as owners.

It's a decent back four and Nyambe and Lenihan are improving and should continue to do so.  Williams has some way to go.  IMV, Mulgrew's best position for the team - a superb influence all round where he can 'boss' the team from back to front unlike the totally inept Lowe.

Just now, rhodie said:

Au contraire Stu lad, it has been really refreshing to see posts that are positive. We seem to be getting back to a site that actually enjoys football, the club and alternative opinions.

Enjoy it while it lasts, rhodie 'lad'.

For instance, a couple of wins for Mowbray/Rovers and all the haters get to pretend that Rhodes didn't get a brace in their demolition of Norwich to climb into the play-offs, and they can slate Lambert for a narrow away defeat to top 5 Reading.

But there's still time. :rolleyes:

Lets hope that we can all still be smiling and laughing come May when Wednesday miss out on the PL, Lambert takes Wolves down and Rovers are comfortably mid-table with gloaters asking what everyone was worrying about, whilst chugging down another bottle of Chateau Neuf Du Pape.

Let's wait and see, eh? :P

(Because :P means I'm joking)

Just now, Stuart said:

For instance, a couple of wins for Mowbray/Rovers and all the haters get to pretend that Rhodes didn't get a brace in their demolition of Norwich to climb into the play-offs, and they can slate Lambert for a narrow away defeat to top 5 Reading.

Lets hope that we can all still be smiling and laughing come May when Wednesday miss out on the PL, Lambert takes Wolves down and Rovers are comfortably mid-table with gloaters asking what everyone was worrying about, whilst chugging down another bottle of Chateau Neuf Du Pape.

Come on Stu lad, Lamberts lost 5 in a row. One was to Burton. Another to Brum.

Wolves fans love him.  :P

(:P means I'm joking)

Just now, Stuart said:

Forget about Rhodes, we are where we are, why must anybody that disagree with a few, be haters. I agree with mostly everything you have said there, except, for me it would be Vodka and diet lemonade. Onwards and upwards hopefully!

Relieved to get the three points today. Wigan are poor but pushed us back after we scored when I thought we could have pushed on. There was an atmosphere today and lots of TM chants.

Had a couple in the fox and hounds, very good beer but bloody hell how long would it take to tidy up that beer garden..

16 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Fair enough if he was injured. I thought he had been taken off for tactical reasons and that the player himself looked fairly unhappy walking off.

I think it is both at the times of the sub we had 3 strikers on in Emnes, Gallagher, and Graham, we needed another winger on to shut up shop and do the hard work. Bennett is a hard worker and tracked up and down the wing very well. on a side note i never thought i would say this but Mowbray has had a tremendous effect on Feeney! 

Archived