BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan at home

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Fair enough if he was injured. I thought he had been taken off for tactical reasons and that the player himself looked fairly unhappy walking off.

I used to look "  fairly unhappy " too when I came off with an injury. Especially when I'd just opened the scoring.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dunnfc said:

I'd keep Lenihan in the backline, different player these last few games and like mulgrew should keep there shirt.

It's down to Hoban to win it back. 

Not that Lenihan may be here next year with the filth we have as owners.

Keep the defence as it is until we lose a game at the very least. Anybody else fancy Evans or Akpan in midfield instead of Lowe to freshen up the midfield on Tuesday ?

I am starting to like Lowe having watched him today I really do believe his work ethics disrupts the play. He should stay in and be our captain. Need Guthrie to stay fit, and we desperately need a creative midfielder this summer signed up

And to be honest their is a backbone to build on for next season. We need to sign Emnes, and with Graham, Mahoney, Tomlinson, Lowe, Mulgrew, Nyambe, Steele. Mowbray will have great talent to work with. (though i do believe we will need and upgrade from Steele eventually)

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Keep the defence as it is until we lose a game at the very least. Anybody else fancy Evans or Akpan in midfield instead of Lowe to freshen up the midfield on Tuesday ?

Akpan is far better than Lowe imo and I'd play him ahead of JLO every day of the week.

I didn't think Lowe played well today myself. He made a number of errors that we just about got away with but which on another day could have proved costly.

Akpan is far better than Lowe imo and I'd play him ahead of JLO every day of the week.

I didn't think Lowe played well today myself. He made a number of errors that we just about got away with but which on another day could have proved costly.

I agree, I thought he was poor today. 

A few misplaced passes (standard), lost the ball on the edge of our area which nearly cost us and kept shooting from the edge of the area despite having 2 defenders right in front of him, just needlessly giving away possession.

He also kept charging forward, leaving his position in centre mid, running past our strikers in order to close down the opposition defender but did absolutely nothing when he got there. Not sure why he did this.

Watched it online. Didn't think it was a great game but sheer organisation from Mowbray got us the points. Mulgrew was head and shoulders above everyone, class act. Emnes although is inconsistent... He's the only player we have who can evidently create a goal out of nothing... Which is why he should play. 

First time in a long time I can remember giving a @#/? about a result, Mowbray is making Coyle look like the biggest joker in football management. I hope that prick Alan Nixon has been watching.

Brilliant goal and result. If only TM had been appointed earlier.

13,000 on today (well maybe 9k) but the traffic control around Bolton Rd is pathetic. Whoever thought that system up needs to get out more. God help if we ever get back in the premier.

48 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Fair enough if he was injured. I thought he had been taken off for tactical reasons and that the player himself looked fairly unhappy walking off.

Mowbray had a chat with Emnes when he come off. Good smart management. Maybe Emnes wanted to give it a go but Mowbray decided not to a risk with it

Jason is on borrowed time - or should be. He made a lot of mistakes today but maybe that's because he tried to get the ball forward a bit. Still can't tackle and is an OPTA-stat fiend such are the number of short passes he gets in to improve his scores.

25 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

I am starting to like Lowe having watched him today I really do believe his work ethics disrupts the play. He should stay in and be our captain. Need Guthrie to stay fit, and we desperately need a creative midfielder this summer signed up

On Tuesday night Jason Lowe was my MOM. I thought he covered every blade of grass, put his body in for numerous blocks and led by example to the other players.

Today he was atrocious, especially in the second half. His work rate may be excellent but today he looked like little boy lost.

Should he be rested? In which case who should replace him? Hoban in for Mulgrew or Lenihan? Either of those two can play midfield. What about the much improved Akpan?

Conway and Feeney (who played very well today) are good with defensive duties whereas Mahoney is great attacking but poor tracking back.

I can only trust in our new manager who seems to know what he is doing. Can't wait for the team sheet for Tuesday night.

• Backroom

I can't be the only one who doesn't give a flying feck about Paul Lambert at this point? He was our manager for seven months. He's gone. Who cares? If Wolves fall behind us under his stewardship then great. 

The most important thing we've seen under Mowbray is clean sheets. Under Coyle it was practically impossible for us to go 45 minutes without conceding, let alone an entire game. We've been capable of scoring the entire season, but we've been so generous at the back it usually wasn't enough to score goals. Mowbray has redressed the balance very quickly and if he can keep it up it will give us a huge chance of staying up.

Thought Lowe was ok today. More adventurous, worked hard "shielding" but some wayward passes and no bite in his tackling. Still would have him ahead of Akpan provided Guthrie or Mulgrew is the other CM.

Great play from Steele for the goal and reasonable distribution from him during the game as a whole.

Emnes - great goal and looked threatening if a bit patchy. Thought TM would take off Gallagher but correct to take off Emnes right away at the first hint of injury as i think he is a key player.

Mahoney, Feeney and Conway all did ok though Mahoney does look a little lightweight tracking back.

Defence looked ok but not tested too much. Hard to be objective when nervous and expecting disasters...

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Fairly nonplussed by that. 

We were atrocious first half with only Feeney and Emnes who held the ball up well and linked up play showing up well.

Second half Emnes scores the best goal seen at Ewood in many a year then gets dragged off as 3rd sub on 61 minutes in what was arguably the worst substitution of all time

.Luckily we didn't suffer another injury in the last 30 minutes. I thought as a result of taking Emnes off we lost our composure completely but held on for the 3 points.

Funny old game but just shows how badly a change of manager was needed to bring a change of luck and momentum.

Disagree Rev.  Thought the subs were a positive move (nice and early in the second half) and we scored soon after.  Emnes taken off due to tweaking hamstring.

Emnes strikes me as someone who needs an arm round him and some cuddles to get a game out of him and I think we saw that from Mowbray.  Give him a rocket and I think he sulks, better to pinch his cheek and a slap on the bum.

Lowe can catch the eye because he's busy, reminds me a bit of Keith Andrews actually (minus the pointing skills), he's not afraid to get the ball but more often than not the ability is sadly lacking.  Today it was clear he has instructions to move the ball forward but his passing amongst other things was way off.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd have Evans as Akpan dosen't have the mobility.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Disagree Rev.  Thought the subs were a positive move (nice and early in the second half) and we scored soon after.  Emnes taken off due to tweaking hamstring.

Not sure that's true. Mowbray spent several seconds explaining his reasoning to an upset looking Emnes. So it was either tactical or preemptive to avoid injury. Mowbray talked after the game about the number of games in a short space of time. Hopefully he is resting people to get the most out of them.

One stark difference between Coyle and Mowbray is that the latter appears to know what he is doing rather than just relying on screeching at people he doesn't think are 'doing it right'.

42 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Jason is on borrowed time - or should be. He made a lot of mistakes today but maybe that's because he tried to get the ball forward a bit. Still can't tackle and is an OPTA-stat fiend such are the number of short passes he gets in to improve his scores.

Agreed.

Archived