BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan at home

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DE. said:

Didn't think Feeney did anything particularly useful. Won a lot of corners because his crosses rarely beat the first man, but we're poor from corners anyway. Conway was decent but looked tired, so not surprised he was taken off too.

Starting to think we might actually stay up. Can't believe we've gone above Wolves. Lambert is struggling big time there.

Lambert has been found out for what he was, wiz only a tidly vidly marginally better manager than Bowyer.

Fairly nonplussed by that. 

We were atrocious first half with only Feeney and Emnes who held the ball up well and linked up play showing up well.

Second half Emnes scores the best goal seen at Ewood in many a year then gets dragged off as 3rd sub on 61 minutes in what was arguably the worst substitution of all time

.Luckily we didn't suffer another injury in the last 30 minutes. I thought as a result of taking Emnes off we lost our composure completely but held on for the 3 points.

Funny old game but just shows how badly a change of manager was needed to bring a change of luck and momentum.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Two feet from behind without touching the ball is a straight red mate.

They were tangled together before he tripped him. A red card in your view, not mine. Another ref would have possibly been harsher, but he would also have punished a lot of the other challenges that was being made all over the pitch for 90 mins.

• Backroom
Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Fairly nonplussed by that. 

We were atrocious first half with only Feeney and Emnes who held the ball up well and linked up play showing up well.

Second half Emnes scores the best goal seen at Ewood in many a year then gets dragged off as 3rd sub on 61 minutes in what was arguably the worst substitution of all time

.Luckily we didn't suffer another injury in the last 30 minutes. I thought as a result of taking Emnes off we lost our composure completely but held on for the 3 points.

Funny old game but just shows how badly a change of manager was needed to bring a change of luck and momentum.

I thought bringing Emnes off was the right move, marvellous goal aside. We had 3 good chances to seal it after that substitution as well.

Bizarre incident today when the Wigan centre half tried to play without shinpads for some reason.

Just now, Torgeir said:

They were tangled together before he tripped him. A red card in your view, not mine. Another ref would have possibly been harsher, but he would also have punished a lot of the other challenges that was being made all over the pitch for 90 mins.

Didn't think it was a red as Williams was coming in from the side. Great result today. I emmes wasn't great but I don't think he should have been taken off after scoring. Linehan mulgrew feeney all very good. Great vision from Steele for the goal. Difficult games coming up. Let's hope we can keep this form going

Just now, Torgeir said:

Tangled together? No Mulgrew got spun, tried tripping the player over and failed so chopped/scissored him from behind. It was an appaling tackle. Thankfully he was only booked but it was easily a red, have a watch of it.

Whilst it was not a "professional foul" it was off the ground and both feet from behind.

Absolutely vital win. Can't remember last time we had 2 clean sheets on the bounce, or were out of the relegation zone. It puts a little bit more pressure on the likes of Bristol C and Wolves now.

Mowbray has been a breath of fresh air so far. Grinding out narrow wins and keeping clean sheets are normally the way poor teams avoid relegation. That would never happen under Coyle, he hasn't got the skills. Hopefully TM can keep it up. One of the very few positive things to be said for Coyle's tenure is that in Emnes he brought in a player with the potential to be a match-winner (I'm sure he'll mention it tonight on Ch5:rolleyes:;))

Upwards and Melt-onwards. 

We had very few answers to Wigan sitting back and waiting to be opened up, but after Emnes scored that beautiful counter/long ball they had absolutely nothing to offer in attack. Poorest team I've seen in the Championship this season. Also thought Conway looked even slower than usual today (packed schedule getting to him?), but Mowbray's three substitutions were amateurish and could have cost us the game against different opposition. Still, three points and a clean sheet for the second game in a row! When was the last time that happened, some time back in the Bowyer years?   

Just now, Commondore said:

We had very few answers to Wigan sitting back and waiting to be opened up, but after Emnes scored that beautiful counter/long ball they had absolutely nothing to offer in attack. Poorest team I've seen in the Championship this season. Also thought Conway looked even slower than usual today (packed schedule getting to him?), but Mowbray's three substitutions were amateurish and could have cost us the game against different opposition. Still, three points and a clean sheet for the second game in a row! When was the last time that happened, some time back in the Bowyer years?   

5th December 2015. So not that far. If we win it again 1-0, that would take some history searching the last time we won 3 in a row with a win and a clean sheet.

• Backroom

I do find it surprising to see the substitutions criticised, we made a double sub and put Emnes wide, he scores from that position, he then changes it to see the game out and we keep a clean sheet whilst the other sub Mahoney nearly gets a couple of goals.

Seem almost perfect in terms of effect.

Emnes tweaked his right hamstring when scoring; probably when stretching for his first touch. He might have run it off but best to be cautious and it was correct in my opinion to sub him.

Thought Williams was a lot better today, particularly first half. Steele again very timid when the ball is around the six yard box. He will inspire no confidence in his defence. 

I again loved Mowbray's post match analysis on radio rovers. I could listen to him all day. A genuine football man!

Hilarious situation at Wolves and very helpful too. Lambert is taking them down. I imagine him to be the sort that players either fully buy into or fully reject. Looks like his players have made their mind up! 

I think there will be changes on Tuesday as we have some weary players at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts the team that finished today.

26 minutes ago, JAL said:

Good win today but only two shots on target from the game shows just why the team are very close to relegation.

The team are very close to relegation due to the inept decision to employ Owen Coyle, and his subsequent dire 'management'. 

Tony Mowbray has been very open in his strategy for the remainder of the season - WIN AT ALL COSTS. The performances are somewhat secondary. We can worry about that in the summer, having hopefully gained the points to secure our Championship status. In that respect, 7 points from 9 is monumental. 

Just now, rhodie said:

Wolves five losses in a row, somebody is getting sacked soon :rolleyes:

Was talking to a Wolves fan he seemed to think their owners want Lambert to adopt an exciting attacking style but it isn't working. That's very much not his way of playing at all and to honest i'm surprised they went for him. Agents and dim new owners no doubt.

Well that result was never in doubt either before the match or during the match.

Wigan were dire - a shambles.  They were never going to score playing just one up front and rarely getting anyone into the box.  Never ever seen such chaos with their third substitution - Bogle to come off, their fans revolted, Bogle back on whilst Wigan's management team work out what to do.  Make no mistake, Wigan are down along with Rotherham.

As for Rovers, we couldn't fail to beat this shower. 

First half we were poor.  Substitutions after 55 minutes sparked us.  Great clearance from Steele, superb control from Emnes and a decent shot though in all honesty, their keeper should have saved.  And that really is the story of the match.

Bigger tests to come.  MUST keep Mulgrew fit.  Mahoney looks a gem, the lad gets you off your seat.  Thought Mowbray was a bit rash making his third and final sub after just 60 minutes, could easily have back fired.

Make no mistake, we are staying up.  Been saying for weeks, we've a bit too much to fall out of this league.  Well done Tony Mowbray.  That's another case of fine wine to order with my winnings.

Very good win and getting 3 points is all that's matter right now. I will take 1 nil all day long. Another Clean sheet which is what we want and what we lacked under Coyle

We will only get better as a team game by game. Guess we will see the proper Tony Mowbray's style of play next season when he had a full pre season and get their fitness up.

Thought Wigan were awful all game. Offer not much going forward and their fans not happy with their subs made in 2nd half

Emnes goal were a great strike. But did have 3 or 4 good chances after the scored

Also the fans were magnificent today and right behind the manager and sing Tony Mowbray's Blue and White Army a lot. Great to hear it 

Great result today. It was a must win game and we won. Can't do better than that.

Not much between the sides and a moment of sublime skill from Emnes turning a bad Steele punt into a good ball, and excellent finish. Mahoney and Graham made a real difference when they came on as well. 15 minutes defending a 1-0 lead on Tuesday. 30 minutes today. Mowbray knows what he wants and is getting that extra 10% out of the players that earns the team that little bit of luck that they need.

Such a breath of fresh air when you don't have a manager that the fans detest. There's a real feeling that the Ewood crowd have united behind the new manager and this is translating to the team. We won't win every game but you can't argue with the start. What a shame we didn't get rid of Coyle sooner (and a shame we employed the charlatan in the first place).

Out of the bottom three - onwards and upwards.

Just now, Mercerman said:

B o l l o c k s.  IMV, no more than 9 to 10 thousand in the ground.

Don't shoot the messenger, MM. Was off Rover's twitter feed.

Archived