BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan at home

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extremely good result. For the manager and players to respond so positively and grind out these results under such fierce pressure is hugely impressive. Love 1-0 victories in pro-football. Seriously what @#/? wants to concede three most weeks? Other than the total idiots we have employed? Credit to all involved. Seven points from nine really gives us a chance and the confidence gleaned is priceless. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Hasnt played since the start/middle of January. So thats about 7 weeks without proper football

Has he trained?

Point being it's still not anywhere near like Ward and Hoban have been out. Either way I'd drop/rest Lowe if we had a body to step in.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Has he trained?

Point being it's still not anywhere near like Ward and Hoban have been out. Either way I'd drop/rest Lowe if we had a body to step in.

Only been training this week according to Mowbray's comments

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

I agree, I thought he was poor today. 

A few misplaced passes (standard), lost the ball on the edge of our area which nearly cost us and kept shooting from the edge of the area despite having 2 defenders right in front of him, just needlessly giving away possession.

He also kept charging forward, leaving his position in centre mid, running past our strikers in order to close down the opposition defender but did absolutely nothing when he got there. Not sure why he did this.

Interesting - I thought Lowe was better on Tuesday - and to be honest thought his mistakes towards the end of the match were as much down to fatigue as anything else. I would be interested what you thought of Guthrie - and the two or three misplaced passes that against a better team would have potentially led to goals. I also noticed Guthrie doing similar (in terms of closing down the defender) - IMO it is a tactic they seem to be using.

I am not a great fan of Guthrie - but think Lowe has looked a lot better playing alongside him. IMO Lowe is at his best when there is limited expectations on him in terms of the creative side of his game. It is also noticeable that players are now passing and moving a lot more - which makes it easier for midfield players.

I was impressed with Lenihan today, handled the big fella well, I think he's got a bit of fight about him too which is good.

are people still doubting Nayambe? I've not seen him for a while, think he's come on massively and is a revelation this season. Still learning but lots of potential to be a decent player in this league. Got forward well today and was very solid in all the defending he did.

Just now, OJRovers said:

I was impressed with Lenihan today, handled the big fella well, I think he's got a bit of fight about him too which is good.

are people still doubting Nayambe? I've not seen him for a while, think he's come on massively and is a revelation this season. Still learning but lots of potential to be a decent player in this league. Got forward well today and was very solid in all the defending he did.

Not sure about Nyambe myself. Positionally poor and seems so reluctant to cross a ball when well advanced. Think his athleticism covers allot up.

Still should't be in a situation of putting kids in the first 11 in the hope we strike lucky as we've no other options and have those filth as owners.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Only been training this week according to Mowbray's comments

Next up Cardiff at home. I'd be tempted to drop Emnes and put Akpan in to stiffen things up in the middle, keep lowe there for 60mins if Evans aint fit.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Next up Cardiff at home. I'd be tempted to drop Emnes and put Akpan in to stiffen things up in the middle, keep lowe there for 60mins if Evans aint fit.

I would drop Gallagher, Feeney and Conway for this game. Bring in Graham, Mahoney and Bennett

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Young Pilks of Cardiff saying that they are super fit now under Warnock, he's out next week with a niggle but Rovers will still have to be on top of their game for this one.

That was an astonishing piece of skill from Emnes for the goal just as it was against Manure a couple of weeks ago. Who else from the squad could provide it?

Yet people want him dropped? Moments like that decide games as it did this afternoon.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would drop Gallagher, Feeney and Conway for this game. Bring in Graham, Mahoney and Bennett

I would argue that over two games for the time he hs played Feeney has been our best player, he could consider himself very unlucky to be subbed in both games but we have seen the games out.

Also I think Akpan does everything Lowe does but with a little extra in the final third, eventually I would like to see him in there with someone that can play a bit of football but with Mulgrew predisposed at the back we are lacking there.    

2 hours ago, 47er said:

That was an astonishing piece of skill from Emnes for the goal just as it was against Manure a couple of weeks ago. Who else from the squad could provide it?

Yet people want him dropped? Moments like that decide games as it did this afternoon.

Only player who evidently can create something out of nothing then stick him on the bench whilst his confidence is high??? Mental.

5 hours ago, Tom said:

I would argue that over two games for the time he hs played Feeney has been our best player, he could consider himself very unlucky to be subbed in both games but we have seen the games out.

Also I think Akpan does everything Lowe does but with a little extra in the final third, eventually I would like to see him in there with someone that can play a bit of football but with Mulgrew predisposed at the back we are lacking there.    

Feeney has played well recently. But I think Mahoney just deserved to start and would deffo trouble their left back. 

Akpan is slightly better than Lowe and if Mowbray decide to drop Lowe nobody could complain. 

But in all fairness Mowbray has the players on side and are playing for him. He is tactical aware and has a Plan B. He has the fans on side and very good to hear the Tony Mowbray's Blue and White Army chants. 

Thought Feeney gave their full back a lot to think about purely down to his directness and pace. Did the simple things well and got the ball into the box quickly. However I'm also very keen to see Mahoney given a run of games. He's not going to stay if he's not playing that's for sure.

4 hours ago, Neal said:

Only player who evidently can create something out of nothing then stick him on the bench whilst his confidence is high??? Mental.

4 goals all season.... the guy was nothing short of a liability on Tuesday and was poor today until he scored. Yes he can create something out of nothing but he doesn't do it often enough to justify his place in the 11 every week imo. Hopefully Mowbray can get him scoring more goals.

Just now, Ricky said:

Thought Feeney gave their full back a lot to think about purely down to his directness and pace. Did the simple things well and got the ball into the box quickly. However I'm also very keen to see Mahoney given a run of games. He's not going to stay if he's not playing that's for sure.

Thought feeney was very good yesterday gave Warnock alot of problems was surprised to see him taken off so early unless he picked up a knock 

Just now, Irishrover213 said:

Thought feeney was very good yesterday gave Warnock alot of problems was surprised to see him taken off so early unless he picked up a knock 

Mowbray said in his interview that he felt both Feeney and Conway were starting to tire, due to the amount of work they have put in over the last few games.

It appears the lack of fitness and work rate under Coyle is coming to the fore once again. 

Archived