BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan at home

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It looked like a planned move to me. Steele was looking out left as he picked the ball up. Then he drop volleys a ball 70 yards out to Emnes who was a bit slow starting off but made up for it with a piece sublime control of the ball.

There'll be one or two outfield players on our team who probably couldn't make that volley

The technique to swing the ball parrallel with the line looks easy, but can assure it is not! Ha.

Like fading a 7 wood hybrid round a dog leg right. In my dreams....!

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen the goal. Emnes did brilliantly to catch up with and then control a long punt born more out of hope than expectancy

It also needed Wigan's keeper to have a similarly 'steele like' ignorant relationship with his near post :D

3 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

We all slate Steele (and rightly so) when he drops a ball (literally) so it's only right to give him credit when he does something good.  Great kick , even better control by emnes and 3 points in the bag. Joyce had minor eye surgery. People saying he did well to turn up. I might be being harsh but I can't see why that would stop him managing the team. The world's gone soft.

I've been through the same operation, and the few days after with the eye patch are painstaking. You really can't function normally, or at least I couldn't (gooey and stuck together don't adequately describe it). It depends when he had it done.

Anyway, even if it was an effort for him to go to the match, I don't think you'll find many Wigan fans sympathising for him!

2 hours ago, meadows said:

Surgery for a detatched retina is far from "minor eye surgery" it's a very delicate and serious operation 

A pal had a similar procedure and felt very poorly and lacking balance for quite some time after 

I think he was ill-advised to turn up and understandably looked to be quite disorientated and ill at ease In the shots they showed, most of them not sat on the bench but leant on a wall some way away 

He should have stayed home and followed the surgeon's advice not to take any risks with his eyesight 

A brave but foolhardy risk to his health I'd have said. 

Fair enough. Just seen a one day hospital trip and the word minor. Seen him stood their with his eye patch was thinking well he's their and his mouth still works lol. I've never had or met anyone who's had it done so I will take your word for it and retract what I said

Just now, Rover_Shaun said:

Seen it. Several times. Football's a matter of opinions.

Repeated 1000 times more Steele wouldn't get that lucky again. Though the JW would have a few broken seats :)

I reckon if you gave him 10 tries at that he could maybe do it again once or twice even in a match environment. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be praised for pulling it off. You could make the same argument for lots of great goals, like that great Van Persie flying header against Spain in the last World Cup for instance.

1 hour ago, Jbizzle said:

People can and should point out where he has been poor, but the opposite should follow if he does something well.

Great assist. As USA said - Marvins control and touch to set up the run is top class. Finish bounces just on or behind the line. One of the goals of the season, can't think of many better bar Bennett vs Pool

For me emnes beats Bennet's goal. The touches and accuracy beats defenders plus the importance makes it better IMO. Don't forget the goal away at derby. That was a brilliant team goal but still I take nothing away from Bennett's hit and hope :D

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

For me emnes beats Bennet's goal. The touches and accuracy beats defenders plus the importance makes it better IMO. Don't forget the goal away at derby. That was a brilliant team goal but still I take nothing away from Bennett's hit and hope :D

Graham vs. United for me.

On 04/03/2017 at 9:30 PM, DE. said:

I can't be the only one who doesn't give a flying feck about Paul Lambert at this point? He was our manager for seven months. He's gone. Who cares? If Wolves fall behind us under his stewardship then great. 

The most important thing we've seen under Mowbray is clean sheets. Under Coyle it was practically impossible for us to go 45 minutes without conceding, let alone an entire game. We've been capable of scoring the entire season, but we've been so generous at the back it usually wasn't enough to score goals. Mowbray has redressed the balance very quickly and if he can keep it up it will give us a huge chance of staying up.

Amazing what a decent manager can do for you.

What a mick take it will be if we stay up this season.

The best thing about emnes goal was the celebration in front of a couple of starry eyed kids,to young to know the pain we are going through and reminds me of when i was took by my Dad,Uncles and the best times my Son.

ps detatched retinas can be operated on any time surely,bad timing by joyce not like he had to wait for the NHS.

7 hours ago, RV Blue said:

As soon as he hit it I thought 'wow what a kick from Steele', never at one point did it look like he over hit it. Absolutely pin point.

Where do you sit? Because you clearly did not have a good view.

8 hours ago, Jbizzle said:

People can and should point out where he has been poor, but the opposite should follow if he does something well.

Great assist. As USA said - Marvins control and touch to set up the run is top class. Finish bounces just on or behind the line. One of the goals of the season, can't think of many better bar Bennett vs Pool

It was a joke!!!

Let's not get carried away just yet as after Tuesday night we've a hard run of matches 

A draw at the mighty Burton a penalty win against a free fall derby and a wonder goal against a poor relegation heading wigan so far Hasn't convinced me as yet 

But wins breed confidence which is what we need 

So Steele, who gets slated regularly on here, fires an almost pin point goal kick (looks like this may have been done a few times in training) to Emnes that we score from, and he doesn't get any credit from the usuals!!!!!

I sit in the JW, and it was a fantastic kick...if Barcelona had done it we'd have seen it 500 times by now!!

I know things are bad, but come on guys, credit where credits due!!

Only on BRFCS!!

Just now, Doug said:

So Steele, who gets slated regularly on here, fires an almost pin point goal kick (looks like this may have been done a few times in training) to Emnes that we score from, and he doesn't get any credit from the usuals!!!!!

I sit in the JW, and it was a fantastic kick...if Barcelona had done it we'd have seen it 500 times by now!!

I know things are bad, but come on guys, credit where credits due!!

Only on BRFCS!!

Yes, Doug. Steele hits a 70 yard volley exactly to where he meant it to go - and he's lucky. What else should he have done?

11 minutes ago, Athlete said:

Let's not get carried away just yet as after Tuesday night we've a hard run of matches 

A draw at the mighty Burton a penalty win against a free fall derby and a wonder goal against a poor relegation heading wigan so far Hasn't convinced me as yet 

But wins breed confidence which is what we need 

Surely you would agree that the team is a lot more organised, structure better and there is a game plan from Tony Mowbray after we watch no plan Coyle?

2 clean sheets in his first 3 games is a great achievement after watching the team under Coyle that couldn't defend as a unit and always would concede a goal or 2

I heard Mowbray's interview on Radio Rovers on the way home. He talked about how he likes his keepers to get the ball out quickly into space (and to dominate their area coming out for crosses to take pressure off the defence). Given he and Steele have worked together before I assume that was a planned move that they had talked about before. I suspect we will see more of that in the coming games - the key will be how many times it comes off, but clearly it was deliberate.

Just now, only2garners said:

I heard Mowbray's interview on Radio Rovers on the way home. He talked about how he likes his keepers to get the ball out quickly into space (and to dominate their area coming out for crosses to take pressure off the defence). Given he and Steele have worked together before I assume that was a planned move that they had talked about before. I suspect we will see more of that in the coming games - the key will be how many times it comes off, but clearly it was deliberate.

It's good to hear the manager talk about specific aspects of team play and not the banalities Coyle and co came out with.

Just now, only2garners said:

Yes, he was actively encouraging Steele to roll  the ball out at Burton.  Also showed his frustration when he kicked it long and to nobody. Good signs.

Archived