BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

Third game in and Tony says he'll get it right but why does have an incompetent coach in David Lowe by his side. All smacks of a conman Mowbray !

When does a Tony Mowbray season start ?.. and why hasn't his team been fully prepared for the start of 2017/18.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
33 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Where did he say he had no intention of leaving? 

I'm not going to dig through the EADT archives but in practically every post match press conference for the last year or so.

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

He was definitely giving an ultimatum in the interview I heard.

I would love to see him get one last proper job with a bit of backing. It sounds like he is being dicked around there by the owners and certain sections of their support. I would imagine they have changed their tune after the start they have had. 

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He was definitely giving an ultimatum in the interview I heard.

I would love to see him get one last proper job with a bit of backing. It sounds like he is being dicked around there by the owners and certain sections of their support. I would imagine they have changed their tune after the start they have had. 

The fans have acted disgracefully towards him imo. Not all of them, but a large section. I totally understand that the football has been dire and they pay a lot of money here to watch that crap, but it isn't Mick's fault. He's working with the tools he's given. Evans is where the ire should have been directed, although you could argue they got to Evans through making Mick feel uncomfortable... so I don't know. Ipswich could easily be down in League 1 with us if not for Mick, though, and they probably would have been down a lot sooner than us as well. 

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15483239._I_m_leaving_no_stone_unturned____Tony_Mowbray_working_hard_to_turn_round_Rovers__fortunes/?ref=mac

“It wasn’t the formation (against Donny), it was the fact that we didn’t run in behind, threaten the space or the defence enough"

What Tony failed to continue to say was that we didn't do any of those things because he didn't pick the players capable of doing it. . A good journalist would have pressed the point.

“I respect every supporter but at the end of the day I pick the team, the formation is one that the players have believed in through pre-season, we have worked hard on and it has given us control of football matches"

Which formation? I thought they mixed it up in pre-season? And if we can't control matches against Barrow and York in a pre-season stroll then we do have problems.

“Every supporter I speak to wants to play two up front, which doesn’t guarantee you anything"

He isn't going to change, unfortunately. If Plan A doesn't start working soon we're screwed.

On 16/08/2017 at 14:29, DE. said:

I'm not going to dig through the EADT archives but in practically every post match press conference for the last year or so.

Mick has always stuck to his guns that way, many a manager would have walked when getting flack from the fans. Sometimes you can tolerate certain stuff because the bigger picture is he's probably settled in Suffolk. As you get older you become stubborn to change & most of the time just yearn for a quiet peaceful life.

1 hour ago, MGPensioner said:

TM saying... "I don't care what the fans think. I am right and they are all wrong."

That is because he is football genius, not just a peasant with an opinion.... I seem to remember we have had one or two of those before....

Let's hope results "on the grass" start to prove him right or this is going to end badly.

It's the typical condescending nonsense from 'professionals' with football which means you have never played the game at this level so you don't know what you're talking about. Robbie Savage has it off to a fine art. If Mowbray can't see the shortcomings of the system and style we can write of the season now.

I actually find that attitude insulting.

I like the guy and always have so I desperately want him to succeed but I just think back to when he was appointed and the first initial feeling was that's another dud, there was obviously good reason for that.

Anyway he's lead a charm offensive with the fans as they have all tried recently but he's actually talked sense instead of the inane deflective drivel of Coyle or the dour it's all about me really stuff of Lambert but it's wearing a bit thin now so no ducking away from the nitty gritty from now on please Tony.

He really needs to get his act together in the next 3 league games but I fear what we have seen so far this season and last will end up repeating itself over and over and we'll be getting a point per game style scenario unfolding.

Is he another in the safe zone ?  He really seems a bit blaze about it all at times but that's probably just a symptom of the complete power vacuum behind the scenes at Ewood.

Pretty much in line with you tomphil.  I'd say my initial first impression on appointment was a little wary, however a bit of research plus a chat with my Boro supporting mate eased some concerns, happy to give him a chance view.  First few weeks very positive, he might talk a bit of obvious crap, but don't most and to be fair first few signs were more than positive.  There was a few games that we were well off the boil that worried such as Barnsley, Bristol C etc even Villa to an extent but you always felt he was doing a better job than Coyle could, and was playing with a weakened hand to an extent.

Like you though there are niggles, and each performance like last night chips away at those.  My two main concerns are his recruitment, always a bit wary of managers who just tap into their old contacts, admittedly many do though, and his insistence on one up top when it doesn't seem to suit the personnel.  I do think we can focus too much on formations and I agree with him there, you get a lot of the old 4-4-ffin-2 mob, but the reality is the teams that have done well in League one had scored lots, as he said himself.  I just think with the players we've got we'd be far more effective and stretch teams more, and hold the ball up even more importantly with 2 targets.

To be fair Bolton bucked the trend last season and won a lot of tight games but Parkinson had a very solid, big defence, that was also outstanding at set pieces, we don't have that luxury and whilst I do think it's still early and don't think he deserves much of the vitriol I do think he's got to quit with the excuses and string a few decent performances on the bounce or the pressure should rightly be on him.

Tony ticks a lot of boxes we need right now. He seems a decent chap, a football man, a guy with a bit of integrity. Always get the impression he does it becasue he loves it and not for the cash.

He talks a lot of common sense, which is refreshing after the collection of idiots we have had.

The trouble with all of that is this is a results driven business and all that goes out the window if he cant get the results.

We are in a rut. Teams get used to winning and losing, its why promoted teams can often have great next seasons against the odds as the club gets that winning culture and has plenty confidence.

Unfortunaltey we are the reverse of that. No confidence and used to losing. Its why we needed a fast start and why games like sat are really important to us. We need wins back to back and quickly to change a culture of losing.

• Moderation Lead

I really don't want Mowbray to be under pressure, but the problem he has/we have is that he's brought a lot of this pressure on himself with some of the decisions he's made.

After last season's valiant, but ultimately unsuccessful battle against relegation, we needed to hit the ground running, not just to hit the ground.

We badly need a win on Saturday, then as others have rightly observed, to change the culture of losing at the club and go on a winning run. Mowbray was right that the club needs a lift, a shot in the arm, however you want to describe it. Just anything to stop this cycle of self-inflicted misery from the owners. Something to cheer, just anything to be able to get behind instead of all these false dawns and systematic failure.

I swear i want nothing more than for him to succeed Tony Mowbray. Such a likeable decent bloke who does his job with honesty and integrity. I hope he finds the right formula before it is too late. For me he needs to ditch the 5 4 1 I would keep a simple 4 5 1 

-----Raya----

Caddis--Lenihan--Mulgrew--Williams

Bennett--Smallwood--Evans--Conway

--------------Dack----------------

-------------Samuel-------------

1 hour ago, roverstdt said:

I swear i want nothing more than for him to succeed Tony Mowbray. Such a likeable decent bloke who does his job with honesty and integrity. I hope he finds the right formula before it is too late.

Me too, I thought he got an unfair reception when appointed before a ball was kick. Nothing to do with his past CV etc to me every manager should be given a clean slate when taking on the managers job at Blackburn.

For a manager to be successful you need everything to slot in place and a bit of luck, the old saying you dont become a bad manager over night but you also dont become a good one. 

TM came in saying all the right things and yeah he's got a few problems to work with ( sarcasm ) and we all know he wont pull up trees but to me when a manger is starting to get the basics wrong then unless he reacts swiftly and addresses those then he's doomed. As fans Everyone and his blind dog seen where Kean went wrong and those hindsights are starting to creep in with TM. I hope he successes and gets us back up this season , if he doesnt hold his hands up SOON and say " I got it wrong"  then does something about it  then fans will have to sit back and see the car crash unfold  before their eyes. If this carries on till Dec then we can forget about even staying in this league unless something changes QUICK. 99% fans on this board can see where and whats going wrong and thats the frustrating thing about TM ..as it was with Kean but he still has a chance of changing that...but longer this @#/? goes on the less chance he has...

What I am finding weird is the lack of youth players being brought through.  It's ok saying he wants to bring in experience as you can't rely on kids but that doesn't stack up.  Any loan from a team higher than us will be a young player, like Chapman.

So where will this experience come from? It seems clear the club expected to sell Lenihan and his injury has cocked that up - hence the complete lack of transfer incomings despite the manager saying we are short.  

When fit, for this league, we have a strong starting 11 (although the full backs are a bit ropey) but I would much prefer seeing some of our academy kids given a run out than the likes of Antonsson, Feeney, Gladwin, Williams etc.

TM needs to show a bit of bottle.  Pick the best players, in their best positions and expect them to deliver.  If they don't, drop them and stick the youth in. 

Must win game on Saturday now for TM.

Edit:  He can start off by putting Nuttall on the bench and bin off the Leeds lad!

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

What I am finding weird is the lack of youth players being brought through.  It's ok saying he wants to bring in experience as you can't rely on kids but that doesn't stack up.  Any loan from a team higher than us will be a young player, like Chapman.

So where will this experience come from? It seems clear the club expected to sell Lenihan and his injury has cocked that up - hence the complete lack of transfer incomings despite the manager saying we are short.  

When fit, for this league, we have a strong starting 11 (although the full backs are a bit ropey) but I would much prefer seeing some of our academy kids given a run out than the likes of Antonsson, Feeney, Gladwin, Williams etc.

TM needs to show a bit of bottle.  Pick the best players, in their best positions and expect them to deliver.  If they don't, drop them and stick the youth in. 

Must win game on Saturday now for TM.

Edit:  He can start off by putting Nuttall on the bench and bin off the Leeds lad!

Didnt go Wednesday, so cant comment on leeds lad but Graham should be on his way , out of the door !

Total waste of space !

48 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Dont think he will last the weekend , if we lose on Saturday .........

He could quit but unlikely ! 

Who's going to sack him?

Seems like Mowbray has got the royal seal of approval from Madam and the chuckle brothers, so no-one is going to want to rock the boat despite what happens on the pitch.

It's important to not forget that the club is not being run for success on the pitch, it is managed in a way to maximise the personal gains of those who find themselves on the gravytrain.

Do you think that Cheston ever ONCE picked up the phone and recommended that Coyle be replaced?

8 hours ago, roverstdt said:

I swear i want nothing more than for him to succeed Tony Mowbray. Such a likeable decent bloke who does his job with honesty and integrity. I hope he finds the right formula before it is too late. For me he needs to ditch the 5 4 1 I would keep a simple 4 5 1 

-----Raya----

Caddis--Lenihan--Mulgrew--Williams

Bennett--Smallwood--Evans--Conway

--------------Dack----------------

-------------Samuel-------------

We have been playing.4-4-1-1 in the last 2 games. 

18 hours ago, OJRovers said:

Who's going to sack him?

Seems like Mowbray has got the royal seal of approval from Madam and the chuckle brothers, so no-one is going to want to rock the boat despite what happens on the pitch.

It's important to not forget that the club is not being run for success on the pitch, it is managed in a way to maximise the personal gains of those who find themselves on the gravytrain.

Do you think that Cheston ever ONCE picked up the phone and recommended that Coyle be replaced?

Cheston didn't appoint Mowbray .....

At Ewood anything can happen !

7 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

Mike stays in his finance box and doesn't get involved with football.

He only deals with Suhail by his own admission.

Suhail appointed Tony using Paul Senior to front it up.

At the time, lights were starting to shine in Suhail's direction before hey presto the front of house salesman appears. As soon as the heat was off hey presto the salesman vanishes.

All a big con

Quite possible , appoappointed Coyle ?

41 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

Mike stays in his finance box and doesn't get involved with football.

He only deals with Suhail by his own admission.

Suhail appointed Tony using Paul Senior to front it up.

At the time, lights were starting to shine in Suhail's direction before hey presto the front of house salesman appears. As soon as the heat was off hey presto the salesman vanishes.

All a big con

That's exactly what it is and i'd like to know if dual agent shadow director has any vested interests in the movement of players out and in ?

Archived